Jump to content

Alpha 19 Dev Diary


madmole

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, FranticDan said:

So far from what I've seen, the only nit pick I have for A19 is the unnecessary sprite that shows the position of the trader when there's no quest to turn in. 

I thought so at first but Lathan mentioned the reason they have it is because they have plans for them to move around which makes sense...

 

...as long as the trader doesnt walk into the bathroom then that would be snowdog awkward....🤣

 

*Knocks on bathroom door*  "I know your in there....."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/0/2444839901098741365/

 

I started a discussion over on the steam community about the upcoming analytics in A19, because I was worried that once news of that hit the general community of people who don't watch every livestream etc, things would turn into a garbage fire like with other games I have played. So I was trying to at least limit the garbage fire to one dumpster. :)

 

And in that conversation, one thought that came up was, will it be opt-in, or opt-out? Because if it were opt-in, that would be SO MUCH BETTER for community relations!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, custom_hero said:

1) please add a couple of textures for the storage box. such as: for sale, fuel, building materials, raw materials, parts, mods etc.
2) add a boat model. that’s enough for us until you recycle the water and create a working boat. Modcreators use this model for create something working. Players, servers, can be played without loading boat models.
3) Create quests. Make a quest to repair or build an antenna, bridge, turret, etc. A quest for powering an object. A quest to deliver a box to another trader. quest to deliver resources to the trader.
4) remove the possibility to adjust the gamma or limit the diaposon, as in other survival games. For 4 years, played with over 500 people no one uses light. All twist the gamma.
5) add electrical appliances, forges, microwaves, ovens. The game has electricity, I don’t understand why not finish it.
6) modify the server part, there is not enough opportunity to work with zones. Modified quests do not work on a dedicated server. i wrote about this in detail in the forum.
p.s with love, a fan of the game played 2000 hours with friends, with the same avid players

1) While I hope that they do add more paint textures, and I think that they are aware of community desires for more more more of those, there are apparently some kind of engine or performance limitations that limit the number of textures they can have, or some such. I'm not super clear on the details, but for some reason it's not as easy as just making a texture and including it in the build.

 

2) Modders can make models, too. The fun pimps are focused on other things right now.

 

3) They mentioned almost every one of those quest types in the recent livestream with Prime and Rick (does Rick have a dev nickname like everyone else?).

 

4) If you don't want your gamma adjusted, do not adjust your gamma.

 

5) They mentioned in the livestream that they do intend to do more with electricity before the game is done. However, no new electrical anything is in A19 as compared to 18.4, because they were focussed on other tasks for this iteration.

 

I don't know anything about 6. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, custom_hero said:

4) remove the possibility to adjust the gamma or limit the diaposon, as in other survival games. For 4 years, played with over 500 people no one uses light. All twist the gamma.

In A19 gamma was changed to brightness when we switched to linear lighting. I limited the brightening compared to how bright you could go with the gamma setting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, faatal said:

In A19 gamma was changed to brightness when we switched to linear lighting. I limited the brightening compared to how bright you could go with the gamma setting.

Oh sweet! I forgot about the PBR stuff and lighting stuff they described! Is that going to make shadows cheaper? Will it have any impact on light underground?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, strask said:

1) While I hope that they do add more paint textures, and I think that they are aware of community desires for more more more of those, there are apparently some kind of engine or performance limitations that limit the number of textures they can have, or some such. I'm not super clear on the details, but for some reason it's not as easy as just making a texture and including it in the build.

 

Each paint texture uses more VRAM and are in a texture array that can't be streamed. The game slows if you run out of VRAM and textures start getting read from system RAM. Unity gives us no control over where textures are or even a way to tell if a texture made it into VRAM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, faatal said:

Each paint texture uses more VRAM and are in a texture array that can't be streamed. The game slows if you run out of VRAM and textures start getting read from system RAM. Unity gives us no control over where textures are or even a way to tell if a texture made it into VRAM.

Thank you for that clear explanation, I will quote and reuse it when answering that question in the future! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, strask said:

Oh sweet! I forgot about the PBR stuff and lighting stuff they described! Is that going to make shadows cheaper? Will it have any impact on light underground?

Shadow rendering should be the same. Gamma vs linear should make no difference.

 

Underground lighting will be darker, as will indoor lighting, not from linear, but because we fade to different darker ambient light values when you are considered inside. This has a few side effects, since ambient colors are global, but works well enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, faatal said:

Shadow rendering should be the same. Gamma vs linear should make no difference.

 

Underground lighting will be darker, as will indoor lighting, not from linear, but because we fade to different darker ambient light values when you are considered inside. This has a few side effects, since ambient colors are global, but works well enough.

Gotcha, thanks. :)

9 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I suppose you don't have an elder brother then... my elder brother is smaller and less fit than me but I still feel like he could boss me around lol 😅

 

At least in my social circumstances, same here. I imagine it's more a cultural thing that depends on a biology thing, than a directly biological thing, but it's pretty firmly ingrained in my culture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked the head tracking concept, BUT...did anyone find it a little weird that they all head track like there's a rope attached to their forehead and your character? It was too...samey? I still like it, but I think it needs a little work. I think they even mentioned it in the stream with the "Thriller" dance sequence. Keeping a little head bob, or randomize/delay the head tracking a bit so they aren't ALL synced together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, XCOUNTRY said:

I liked the head tracking concept, BUT...did anyone find it a little weird that they all head track like there's a rope attached to their forehead and your character? It was too...samey? I still like it, but I think it needs a little work. I think they even mentioned it in the stream with the "Thriller" dance sequence. Keeping a little head bob, or randomize/delay the head tracking a bit so they aren't ALL synced together.

Yes, I also felt that the movement was a little too smooth and perfect.

 

For the traders, a big dose of random bobs and wavers would work. As for most of the zombies.

 

I feel like there should be maybe one zed, just one, who retains the current A19 pre-experimental behaviour forever. Just because it IS a little weird. And zombies are weird, sometimes. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, XCOUNTRY said:

I liked the head tracking concept, BUT...did anyone find it a little weird that they all head track like there's a rope attached to their forehead and your character? It was too...samey? I still like it, but I think it needs a little work. I think they even mentioned it in the stream with the "Thriller" dance sequence. Keeping a little head bob, or randomize/delay the head tracking a bit so they aren't ALL synced together.

It is not done. Loosening it up is on my list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, faatal said:

Each paint texture uses more VRAM and are in a texture array that can't be streamed. The game slows if you run out of VRAM and textures start getting read from system RAM. Unity gives us no control over where textures are or even a way to tell if a texture made it into VRAM.

I know that you won't be changing that so deep into production, could we look at changing that ourselves or do we need a SDK for that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Annihilatorza said:

I know that you won't be changing that so deep into production, could we look at changing that ourselves or do we need a SDK for that?

Its in Unity engine. So if Unity changes it in new version TFP can upgrade to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I suppose you don't have an elder brother then... my elder brother is smaller and less fit than me but I still feel like he could boss me around lol 😅

 

Nah I just have an older sister that used to drag me around the house by my hair... until I got older and finally got the reach advantage on her, at which point it was no fun anymore I guess.

10 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

that would be a cool Weapon mod for the Double barrel shotgun lol

or a Legendary Item.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, faatal said:

Shadow rendering should be the same. Gamma vs linear should make no difference.

 

Underground lighting will be darker, as will indoor lighting, not from linear, but because we fade to different darker ambient light values when you are considered inside. This has a few side effects, since ambient colors are global, but works well enough.

Ooo... this gave me a interesting idea for a "Special Infected" who, when is within a certain range makes the lighting fade out a bit more, so that Outside would fade to inside ambient, and inside ambient to maybe a darker set still. I would hope the effect could not stack however or late gamestage horde nights could be hard as hell.

 

Additionally, does the transition away from Gamma mean that the issues with maps being blown out bright (likely due to the Gamma system) has been solved?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the sprite system and think it makes a great addition for locating a variety of things, however, wouldn't it serve better to use the compass icons at further distance while sprite system for when you are within 200m or so? This will reduce the clutter of floating icons all over the place and soothe the immersion broken hearts of some.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, faatal said:

In A19 gamma was changed to brightness when we switched to linear lighting. I limited the brightening compared to how bright you could go with the gamma setting.

 

Whoa, that's one of the biggest changes of A19!

 

Can we get Night Vision Goggles to go back to how they were before they were nerfed into uselessness? I loved them in the past, but for a while now they are basically unusable.

 

I think nerfing the Gamma settings so people actually *need* to use flashlights and lights is a great change, currently there is no reason to ever really use night vision or a mining light even in a dark mine shaft . . .kinda odd. Super excited to see this lighting in action, you should show it on your stream night!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I couldn't find a NVG for like 3 playthroughs but after like 200+ hours I suddenly got like 3 or 4 back to back for sell at traders. I think it's related to better barter as mentioned, I didn't find a single one as loot or reward, but after maxing out better barter they aren't too rare.

 

Adam is right though, they are utterly useless atm and do more harm than good.

 

Mining helmets are kind of weird, I sometimes never get one for sale, and sometimes get 10 in a row for sale, but after you get one or just get a helmet light mod there's no point in even using a mining helmet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...