Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

In general I agree with you but in the interest of not being accused of not being a critical thinker and just posting from reflexive defense mode I gave an idea that would inject some gameplay and risk to just standing still in a shadow for 20 minutes...

Fear not. By using a double negative you firmly present yourself as one of the foremost critical thinkers of your generation. :cocksure:

Madmole, thanks for your video.

I have a question about C4.

Is it planned to enable players to activate C4 after installation and before that set the delay time (C4 has a screen and buttons, this would be logical)?

And the second question: will we have the opportunity to pick up our C4 after installation?

It's on a timer as far as I know.

You can pick it up again with a wrench. :-)

It's impossible to sense scent though meters of dirt and stone.

Moreover why would zombies have better sense of smell than what they were, humans?

And why would it be better than dogs?

How do they find us now on horde night? Call it what you want. Poopadoop. Either way it's a 1 word answer. :)

Oh stealth sounds great on all of the other days, it's just day 7 where I'm curious what the balance is. I'm guessing all of the loot you picked up gives you the resources to rely on your base, but then that means you're playing a VERY specific way, right?

How did you get the idea that balance means that everything should be able to be utilized for every situation? This is anything but balance. Also that "very specific way" of playing involves engaging in one of the game's core aspects and, without exaggeration, half of the game's content, so the player shouldn't just be able to ignore it if he doesn't opt out of it via the menu options.

We've talked about being able to lose their scent on horde night with max perks. Not sure its a good move though.

Depends - do you want to completely dumb down any need for TD in the game?

Moreover why would zombies have better sense of smell than what they were, humans?

Wtf? No! Your hiding spot builds heat over time?! Please no, there is no reasonable explanation to this.

It's also impossible to carry tons of materials or [insert half of the game's mechanisms here]. Like the former example, the reasonable explanation of why it happens is that it is done for gameplay reasons, because like Roland said, it would be absolutely asinine to incentivize the player to go afk.

It's also impossible to carry tons of materials or [insert half of the game's mechanisms here]. Like the former example, the reasonable explanation of why it happens is that it is done for gameplay reasons, because like Roland said, it would be absolutely asinine to incentivize the player to go afk.

Although we know that "X in this game is unrealistic so don't try to argue about any other feature that is unfitting/unrealistic" is a stupid nonargument ;D

I mean... you are right ^^ but it is not a great argument :D

Although we know that "X in this game is unrealistic so don't try to argue about any other feature that is unfitting/unrealistic" is a stupid nonargument ;D

It is a stupid argument, yes, because different rules should apply to different things. Realism, which is the game being consistent with itself, is great to be applied when possible, but not when it tramples gameplay.

It is silly to say that, because x is unrealistic anything can be unrealistic, because the game is already trying to be realistic. But it's also silly to say that the game should be 100% realistic when it comes to certain things like weight, because that would kill building. In this example a good inventory/slot system is the best of both worlds, giving off some realism/consistency and allowing unhinged building.

I agree that such comparisons should not be made thoughtlessly for anything. However, the reason why we can carry tons of material is for the sake of gameplay. So when discussing similar cases where realism is sacrificed for the sake of gameplay it can be used. You are right that it is often overused but that doesn’t mean it can’t be brought up still. It just needs to be scrutinized carefully to see if it is an apt comparison for the situation.

I'll ignore that you're OK with dead people walking around but question their sensory acuity.

So, what if TFP want it to be supernatural forces (or aliens?) that are trying to kill off the last of humanity and guide the zombies to the players.

They should make it obvious by making the moon turn red and the sky turn red with thunder and lighting, every time.

Edit: Oh wait...

It is a stupid argument, yes, because different rules should apply to different things. Realism, which is the game being consistent with itself, is great to be applied when possible, but not when it tramples gameplay.

It is silly to say that, because x is unrealistic anything can be unrealistic, because the game is already trying to be realistic. But it's also silly to say that the game should be 100% realistic when it comes to certain things like weight, because that would kill building. In this example a good inventory/slot system is the best of both worlds, giving off some realism/consistency and allowing unhinged building.

I agree that such comparisons should not be made thoughtlessly for anything. However, the reason why we can carry tons of material is for the sake of gameplay. So when discussing similar cases where realism is sacrificed for the sake of gameplay it can be used. You are right that it is often overused but that doesn’t mean it can’t be brought up still. It just needs to be scrutinized carefully to see if it is an apt comparison for the situation.

Jup to both. Basicially nothing to add here :D Can be used if applied to similar criticism, way to often used as a handwavy dismissal of criticism (valid or not)

Beginning to turn into ‘no safety underground’ or ‘driving around on horde night’ argument. I liked hearing ideas for stealth build advantages on horde night but moving on to ‘safety crouched in shadows so you can go afk’ is a pretty stupid argument. If you go afk and choose to stay in-game, you shouldn’t automatically be safe....climb a tower, build 5 ladders & a block and afk on the side of a building. If you choose to stay in one place long enough, a zombie will stumble on you by accident or smell you regardless of stealth build. All stealth should do is decrease seeing & hearing, nothing more.

@Madmole: Couple things.

Firstly, did the workbench get reworked so that it doesn't occupy the entire block space? Hard to paint under/around it the way it currently is.

Secondly, for the auger, are we still a zombie magnet using the auger way down at bedrock (or way lower than the surface)? It seems a major penalty to use currently and doesn't make sense getting mauled at bedrock when the ground above you is ages away.

Just pick the workbench up, paint and put it back down.

Lean mechanic: what would be really nice would be the ability to lean over a railing and shoot/throw below you.

The lack of this forces the use of Bars/blocks that you can shoot down through, and almost entirely prevents throwing molotovs down.

One of the reasons I asked if it might be possible to have a new Hatch that allowed us to shoot through it when it was closed.

Hoping that down the road it might be possible that when that Hatch were open we could drop molotovs down thru it.

Stealth build on BM: Ultimately it's TFPs choice on how 'balanced' build A vs build B is. And I'd wager that most of the folks here have enough varied gaming experiance to recall other games when there that "one" build that clearly ruled.

Even as it is atm I don't think a stealth build is horribly gimped during horde night. Maybe it could use a bit more damage output on BMs? Honestly don't know myself.

For MP it's hard for me not to consider that "all the ammo saved" by the stealth player wouldn't get shared out to the team, thus noticably helping out on horde nights.

And as MM has said many times (paraphrasing), if there isn't a downside then there isn't a difference.

Another large factor is that the same exact 'builds' are used across SP, MP and PvP. So what might be a nice team bonus for MP games might be OPd in PvP.

In addition to possibly adding a higher chance for non-crouched crit-shots during BMs for stealth builds, maybe an overall BM 'heat' mechanic could be useful.

For examples shake say a third of all BM spawns didn't beeline for the player/s. Instead they would be influenced by the overall heat. So if the defenders were all using bows &/or suppressors, and had spec'd into stealth perks, then the third of the first wave might just wander about. Second wave spawns, minus a third? or maybe w it's own non-beeline third? and if the defenders continue to be 'quiet', and have enough stealth perks, then at the 'end' of the BM there might be quite a few Zs wandering around nearby.

Thinking of this as an extreme; entire MP team is stealth build. Would be difficult to balance. Basic mechanic would be to spread out the waves so that the lower DPS of a stealth build isn't as critical.

I was thinking about that time-bomb AKA (sticky bomb) used in the last video. I would love to see a bigger explosion. It's bigger than a pipe bomb and it would look better if there was more effect behind it. Maybe even some area effect damage.

I know that it was meant to be used to crack a safe but still, it wasn't a shape-charge.

The great heist!

5:13pm here.

Not

9:13pm

I was thinking about that time-bomb AKA (sticky bomb) used in the last video. I would love to see a bigger explosion. It's bigger than a pipe bomb and it would look better if there was more effect behind it. Maybe even some area effect damage.

I know that it was meant to be used to crack a safe but still, it wasn't a shape-charge.

The great heist!

5:13pm here.

Not

9:13pm

maybe they will add it later, but i was expecting to see that zombie blow into pieces !

Hi Joel,

Your last two videos are 720p and actually hurts my eyes. :smile-new: (not really)

But I'm sure you could do 1080p with that nice new computer.

Sorry if someone mentioned it already. You might have used the default settings of your software, or something.

We need that nice eye candy for A18! But thank you so much for the videos; love them all!

Hi Joel,

Your last two videos are 720p and actually hurts my eyes. :smile-new: (not really)

But I'm sure you could do 1080p with that nice new computer.

Sorry if someone mentioned it already. You might have used the default settings of your software, or something.

We need that nice eye candy for A18! But thank you so much for the videos; love them all!

I'm pretty sure he could do 4k with his set up.

We’re talking about a situation that happens exclusively during horde night when the zombies are feral and gps to you—about 20 minutes out of 7 hours of gameplay.

What do you do now when you have to pee during the blood moon event? Whatever that is you could still do that and just choose not to crouch in the shadow of a tree out in the open during hordenight when you feel the pressure on your bladder.

Bodily functions confirmed for A18! Prepare for the return of human turds! :smiley_simmons:

bodily functions I hope they make it into the game it will make it somewhat more realistic and would be interested to see how it works

- - - Updated - - -

by the way if any devs are on in a19 when turrets may or may not be added to poi's if they are will they have like some bullets you can get if you picklock into them?`

I thought smell was out?!

This entire conversation is making me wish both smell and turds were still a thing.

Every few minutes of hiding from a zombie adds another turd to your inventory until they start to push other things out. Do you clear your inventory of turds and increase the smell range or do you leave your resources on the floor and hope the zombies go past before your backpack overflows with feacal matter?

Archived