Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

If any devs don't have their share of bugs to fix, I hope they can work on gore blocks again. Why were they taken out, anyway? Game worked great with them on my machine.

Looked like crap, dupe bug. Endless chunk processing.

Why not make them like the explosive dynamite or whatever that just stick to the building and blow up when shot at? Or maybe make the same item/icon but call it a breaching charge? that way, every one is satisfied? Use the same icon,mesh, hell even same ingredient amounts, just that was we have that fun "remote detonate" option with out the hassle of making a controller, separate mesh,icon,item etc?

Not sure what coding needs to be done but does not seem too bad.

This is designed for raiding, you toss a few on there and run. Remote shooting doesn't work in tight quarters and remote detonating requires a bunch of new code and hand model after you deploy and too much headache. KISS wins every time.

Has there been any change or tweaks to biome effects for A18? I'm talking about the winter and desert biomes mainly, the temperature effects most specifically. I had a handful of games where I thought I dressed right, perked into it, and even had some mods on, yet still got debuffed. The only time I comfortably went up North was back when you guys had those lootable santa hats that gave 25 cold resist. I don't mind having to dress for it, or perk a bit, or even make/add mods, but for the life of me it never ever seemed like enough. Dramatic difference from A16 where dressing for it was enough, there were never any stat downgrades or encumbrance penalties like now, which just make me avoid the desert and winter biomes, even late game, which was surprising. Just wondering if there has been any change at all, whatever that may be.

Weather is still a mess. However, the new infection is awesome now.

Weather is still a mess. However, the new infection is awesome now.

Gotcha, can deal just miss going to those biomes. That santa hat is the only reason I got to experience most of the winter POIs, which are awesome. Maybe as a supplement you guys can throw something like that in there again so we can mitigate the mess a bit. That or I'll just snap a bit some late game and cheat myself in whatever it takes to get that damn snowflake/sun off my screen and pretend it never happened.

Infection is not awesome! I mean, it is as a relevant game mechanic, especially if it is working in a meaningful way, which it sounds like it is, which is great. I am conflictedly glad you got that working. Like, good, but damnit.

But then you could craft a wheelchair or wooden leg, and eventually bionic parts once you get late game :)

Bionic parts confirmed for after gold dlc! ;)

But where the heck is that danged parasail??

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing stopping anyone from doing that AFAIK. You just create a height map, biome map, etc.

Guppy actually just did exactly this.

Which reminds me.. did they ever manage to get user created pois being added on save to the rwg poi lists for a18?

One thing I miss from the very first new version of RWG in A17 was that it put all the winter biome areas in the North, deserts in the South, with the forest, burnt, and wasteland in between, for the most part. I loved that mainly because it gave what is usually overly random a logical sense of structure, making it not feel so totally random. But so many people on the dang forum had a prob with it that they took that out. I don't know why the ♥♥♥♥ that was so horrible as to warrant reversion to total lack of meaningful layout once again. Can't stand popping through some of the ridiculous biome overlaps it gets now, keeps pushing me back to Navezgane, which is fine I guess. I think more so that the randomness factor it is a feeling of being generic that gets me, the lack of major defining features like rivers and mountains, etc. That initial latitude guidance was a big help, I thought, in combating that generic feeling every time. Regardless I am looking forward to checking some RWG out in A18, it is super interesting to watch it flux in variation, and it sounds like there have been significant enough changes and improvements to warrant checking it out again.

One thing I miss from the very first new version of RWG in A17 was that it put all the winter biome areas in the North, deserts in the South, with the forest, burnt, and wasteland in between, for the most part. I loved that mainly because it gave what is usually overly random a logical sense of structure, making it not feel so totally random. But so many people on the dang forum had a prob with it that they took that out. I don't know why the ♥♥♥♥ that was so horrible as to warrant reversion to total lack of meaningful layout once again. Can't stand popping through some of the ridiculous biome overlaps it gets now, keeps pushing me back to Navezgane, which is fine I guess. Regardless I am looking forward to checking some RWG out in A18, it is super interesting to watch it flux in variation, and it sounds like there have been significant enough changes and improvements to warrant checking it out again.

RWG has nice firm borders now between biomes.

I agree, but can you get it nearly perfect?

Generally speaking its better than Nav in some ways IMO. But we could do a lot better than nav NOW but it would be a lot of work. Like a possible workflow moving forward would probably be to generate a map with RWG, then hand embellish it with the terrain tools to make a new static map. Its closer to perfect than ever, but probably will uncover some nasty stuff like we always do.

2kyh1uK.png

What do you mean?

OK that is neat. Fun stuff, great job Guppy.

Would so love to see more built worlds, like that and Nav... but whatabout a mix of both, kinda, like I remember some of the RTS games I have played would use some kind of guiding layout, but then randomize the results. Like, "world with major river", "2 islands", "central mountain range", "central city surrounded by rivers", and so on, but they were never the same each time you generated one. That's why the North-Snow/South-Desert bias was so exciting to me, because it showed the potential to go more in that direction in RWG with 7DTD, even if as an just option. Better yet a either a checklist of biases/guides to infer on the generator, or a distinct list of styles to choose from like mentioned before, when generating a new world. Yes those were 2D maps, mostly, just wondering if, or when, this level of customization will come into play here.

Would so love to see more built worlds, like that and Nav... but whatabout a mix of both, kinda, like I remember some of the RTS games I have played would use some kind of guiding layout, but then randomize the results. Like, "world with major river", "2 islands", "central mountain range", "central city surrounded by rivers", and so on, but they were never the same each time you generated one. That's why the North-Snow/South-Desert bias was so exciting to me, because it showed the potential to go more in that direction in RWG with 7DTD, even if as an just option. Better yet a either a checklist of biases/guides to infer on the generator, or a distinct list of styles to choose from like mentioned before, when generating a new world. Yes those were 2D maps, mostly, just wondering if, or when, this level of customization will come into play here.

Like this?

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?114207-Tool-NITROGEN-a-random-world-generator-for-7DtD

Cheers

What Prisma said. It's kind of like Madmole was talking about, you have a few options for workflow.

Let RWG create the DTM (height map), either via the game or through NitroGen (an RWG tool made by Damocles) and then "stamp it" with terrain features like say, the Andes Mountains, or

(stamp everything from scratch with no RWG being created) and then use NitroGen to add the poi's/roads, paint the biomes and add a few custom poi's.

I was /hoping/ for a TFP tool that would do what NitroGen does (simply because at some point Damocles will move on and the tool might die) but it doesn't seem like we're getting one.

Aw, I kinda liked that... the atmosphere stuff was weird, true, but the ground dithering really made it look good.

Agreed. It's not like they couldn't just unify the spectrum between all biomes, and use the particle effects to differentiate between them so no flickering occurred.

-Or-

Slow the change over between spectrum shifts, so the flickering was barley noticeable. Having a hard border line between all biomes (imo) is :puke:.

Having some dithering made the transition between biomes is a lot better.

Sorry, just how I feel about it.

Still will play the game ofc, not a deal breaker or anything.

What, kite the zombies to a fall off point and then jump off and watch them smash?

It would actually be nice if zombies did that again if the player is far below. Since the damage for falling is capped (for zombies), it would not unbalance the game

Gotcha, can deal just miss going to those biomes. That santa hat is the only reason I got to experience most of the winter POIs, which are awesome. Maybe as a supplement you guys can throw something like that in there again so we can mitigate the mess a bit. That or I'll just snap a bit some late game and cheat myself in whatever it takes to get that damn snowflake/sun off my screen and pretend it never happened.

Or just live with it. The orange warning does (AFAIK) just increase your water/food use, if you have enough of that you can ignore it mostly

What Prisma said. It's kind of like Madmole was talking about, you have a few options for workflow.

Let RWG create the DTM (height map), either via the game or through NitroGen (an RWG tool made by Damocles) and then "stamp it" with terrain features like say, the Andes Mountains, or

(stamp everything from scratch with no RWG being created) and then use NitroGen to add the poi's/roads, paint the biomes and add a few custom poi's.

I was /hoping/ for a TFP tool that would do what NitroGen does (simply because at some point Damocles will move on and the tool might die) but it doesn't seem like we're getting one.

We use stamps now (images) for all the RWG so I'm sure when we go gold or release tools people can add their own stamps and do lots of cool stuff.

It would actually be nice if zombies did that again if the player is far below. Since the damage for falling is capped (for zombies), it would not unbalance the game

Or just live with it. The orange warning does (AFAIK) just increase your water/food use, if you have enough of that you can ignore it mostly

I see them fall out of 2 story buildings coming to get me.

Archived