Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Is Minibikes for Dumbs**ts not enough? jk love u♥

- - - Updated - - -

I lol'd hard with this.

That might return in A19 as a book dedicated to improving your minibike experience (upgrades, mods, schematics moved to it instead of generic schematics).

Maybe just add a percent chance of limb/head dismemberment to the attached c4 explosion? That kind of makes sense.

Not sure I'd want to keep playing as a 1 legged player though, so they get a dismemberment free pass.

But then you could craft a wheelchair or wooden leg, and eventually bionic parts once you get late game :)

Madmole, thanks for your video.

I have a question about C4.

Is it planned to enable players to activate C4 after installation and before that set the different delay time (C4 has a screen and buttons, this would be logical)?

And the second question: will we have the opportunity to pick up our C4 after installation?

Its like a molotov cocktail with a delay. Once you throw it its gonna blow. Nothing can stop it.

Did A18 fix the bug with vehicles?

• Vehicles go silent (4x4) once reaching max speed/wheels don't turn/rotate (silent for the passanger)

• After initial start, all vehicles go silent 100% for everyone except the driver, i mean it IS funny seeing a mini bike flying across the wasteland and all you hear is the horn/nothing, but they have a noise stat and they are worthless right now. Just loose so much immersion imo

Hi Joel,

Your last two videos are 720p and actually hurts my eyes. :smile-new: (not really)

But I'm sure you could do 1080p with that nice new computer.

Sorry if someone mentioned it already. You might have used the default settings of your software, or something.

We need that nice eye candy for A18! But thank you so much for the videos; love them all!

Oh sorry, must have been my export settings, I recorded at like 4k lol.

This entire conversation is making me wish both smell and turds were still a thing.

Every few minutes of hiding from a zombie adds another turd to your inventory until they start to push other things out. Do you clear your inventory of turds and increase the smell range or do you leave your resources on the floor and hope the zombies go past before your backpack overflows with feacal matter?

People ♥♥♥♥ themselves when they die, so every zombie is walking around with a load in his pants so they would not pick up on that smell for sure.

Its like a molotov cocktail with a delay. Once you throw it its gonna blow. Nothing can stop it.

Why not make them like the explosive dynamite or whatever that just stick to the building and blow up when shot at? Or maybe make the same item/icon but call it a breaching charge? that way, every one is satisfied? Use the same icon,mesh, hell even same ingredient amounts, just that was we have that fun "remote detonate" option with out the hassle of making a controller, separate mesh,icon,item etc?

Not sure what coding needs to be done but does not seem too bad.

Madmole: Do you guys have any plans to ship more maps during these next few alpha's? I know y'all have talked about it a bit, but if your prefabber's have downtime they can create more worlds, right?

Are there plans for Kinyajuu (or someone, but he's the logical choice) to work on an external world building tool? You showed off Gaia once (which led me to create my own custom world linked above), is that the way of the future?

You mean another static world like Navezgane? No plans for that, who would want that when we have RWG nearly perfected?

Why not make them like the explosive dynamite or whatever that just stick to the building and blow up when shot at? Or maybe make the same item/icon but call it a breaching charge? that way, every one is satisfied? Use the same icon,mesh, hell even same ingredient amounts, just that was we have that fun "remote detonate" option with out the hassle of making a controller, separate mesh,icon,item etc?

Not sure what coding needs to be done but does not seem too bad.

#nofluff ;)

Cheers

I really hope so, or that a decent worldbuilder makes a way for peeps to at least make some if not. I love Navezgane, but it does get old sometimes. RWG can be alright but has never impressed me as much, or felt anywhere near as immersive and real, as Navezgane has. It feels structured, whilst random gens tend to feel just like that, random. Though I will check out RWG again in A18, having more sculpted custom maps would be super sweet.

Nothing stopping anyone from doing that AFAIK. You just create a height map, biome map, etc.

How about some gas powered jaws of life to demolish cars with? LOL

More seriously, does this mean the fireaxe won't be a valid weapon anymore?

It won't be an OP weapon anymore. Its not bad, but its intended use is for cutting wood, and we couldn't have mining be the best melee choice or noone would spec into anything else.

You start off by saying if they were equal they wouldn't be builds. Then you make the case they are equal because stealth takes alot longer to clear a poi but run and gun uses more ammo.

First point is yes, they should be equal. But maybe it's the word equal that is the issue here. By equal I mean they play differently. One is run and gun and other is quiet and stealthy. If it was balanced they would both be great choices. They both get the job done but play really differently. I think that's the best case.

Second point. It will take me way longer to hunt down the materials to make the 500 bullets I wasted going through a poi than the extra time it takes the stealth guy to finish the same poi. This makes stealth a better build. That's imbalance.

This all all based on alpha 17 of course.

If I implied equal, I meant balanced. This is subjective to your own "what is fun meter".

Mining is improved (identifiable nodes on surface lead to nice mines right below them). Getting large quantities of materials to make bullets is fairly trivial if you are willing to mine. The biggest bottleneck is the crafting time, but I only have two forges and one workbench. I can get 2000 X from midnight to 4 am.

I still don't see it as imbalanced the AK 47 guy has much superior firepower when the ♥♥♥♥ hits the fan. The stealth guy uses silent methods and has an SMG when things get nutty. Not even close to an Ak. But he builds up loads of ammo doing his thing.

If you are using 500 bullets for a POI you might want to work on your aim. I used 200 9mm and 100 magnum once for my agility guy doing a pure shoot crawl of the bear den For my AK guy I might use 100-150 max. That equals out fairly close IMO.

Has there been any change or tweaks to biome effects for A18? I'm talking about the winter and desert biomes mainly, the temperature effects most specifically. I had a handful of games where I thought I dressed right, perked into it, and even had some mods on, yet still got debuffed. The only time I comfortably went up North was back when you guys had those lootable santa hats that gave 25 cold resist. I don't mind having to dress for it, or perk a bit, or even make/add mods, but for the life of me it never ever seemed like enough. Dramatic difference from A16 where dressing for it was enough, there were never any stat downgrades or encumbrance penalties like now, which just make me avoid the desert and winter biomes, even late game, which was surprising. Just wondering if there has been any change at all, whatever that may be.

It's impossible to sense scent though meters of dirt and stone.

Moreover why would zombies have better sense of smell than what they were, humans?

And why would it be better than dogs?

And why would they still be walking around after they died?

I'm not pounding on alpha 18 at all. Everyone of my posts were about alpha 17. This has been pretty clear.

Any of my alpha 17 points were just to give TFP stuff to consider when dealing with alpha 18.

As for people struggling with horde night. Imho horde nights are way easier than t5 high gamestage poi clearing. That's where I need help, and no i dont want to play stealth. Thats all I'm saying.

A17 perks were built and tested and shipped in under 2 months (another guy who left did the first draft) while under a soft content lock. It was better than what we had (what the other guy did), but you can't design build and balance a big system like that in 2 months. I've salvaged the best of it, reorganized into classes and added many augmenting perks to allow that guy to "do most things". Anyhow talking about 17 is mostly irrelevant now. Not to mention I have at least 5x the testing / balancing hours in 18 than I did in 17.

Testers love A18. We've done a ton of balance work. It won't be balanced ever, because some peoples idea of balance differs than ours. And it doesn't need to be. It just needs to be fun and not completely lopsided.

Archived