Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

As an avid fan of using Bows and Stealth (Agility build), I find I am forced to play more conservatively with my arrows. Instead of finding two full stacks of Feathers in the first couple days, at least in SP I'm grabbing them where I can and harvesting the nests for the additional feathers (as well as plant fibers and cloth). I usually make about 50 Stone Arrows to start off, and then save all Feathers from that point onward for Iron Arrows so I get the most bang for my buck. Once I can upgrade to Steel Arrows, they require Polymers instead of Feathers so it should be much easier to craft large numbers of arrows at that point. I would not be opposed to changing Iron Arrows from Feathers to Scrap Polymers, though.

I will say that the Crossbow is a very nice weapon now, much better than in previous patches. My first time playing A18E I found an Iron Crossbow very early on, and it feels so much nicer to use now. Yes, it's still slow to reload, but the aiming is much more intuitive than with the Primitive Bow, the falloff is far less, and with proper kiting techniques it's much easier to use than the bow. I expect the top tier Crossbow will become one of my primary arms later on, especially once I start getting into Exposive Bolts.

What weapon do you use on horde night? Also what difficulty setting are you at? Just curious.

nah it gives me "unknown itemname given" so i just need the right name 4 "repairKit"

Try--> resourceRepairKit

From items.xml;

<item name="resourceRepairKit">

Btw, handy search tip; try adding the final quote and greater-than, so use " Kit"> "

It won't match the instances later on in an item as they'll end with a slash greater-than. (value="resourceRepairKit"/>)

Feathers need a buff (finding more of them in nests) and I don't even like using the bows.

Compared to guns and ammo it seems like an unnecessary nerf.

I love that we can go guns blazing from the start but I know some users prefer the bows.

Vulture harvesting is not really viable unless you live in or are in close proximity to a desert.

Forget about using the bow on early game hordes too, just not enough arrows, even if you harvest vultures.

Edit: you also reduced the nests out in the wild, which is... insane when coupled with reduced feathers.

Speaking of vultures I'm getting quite a number of them in the snow/forest biome. I wonder if it's because I'm using an old save game of pregen02.

Well I figured out how to reproduce the texture streaming bug, took 1 minute to figure it out. that was easy so it should be an easy find and fix for TFP.

20191017155749-1.jpgduplic.jpg20191017160528-1.jpg

So are you going to provide repro steps or did you just want to tease the devs with your pictures? 😅

Faatal -

I know you have plenty to work on but I am still seeing some interesting behavior regarding graphics, just tested it on this new build and still getting it.

In short, while FPS is good, and I am running at pretty high graphics settings, I can tell my system is working a LOT harder when I am outdoors vs a POI. My first indicator was that after a minute or so outside, the cooling fans in my machine speed up (making a lot more noise), but when I go into a POI they will slow back down after a moment and stay, until I go outside again. The other strange twist is that it only slows down in remain POIs, not underground, not in player built spaces and I have tried turning on and off distant terrain and AF which has made no difference as far as I can tell.

Do you have a suggestion as to what logs or data I can collect for you to research this behavior?

Speaking of vultures I'm getting quite a number of them in the snow/forest biome. I wonder if it's because I'm using an old save game of pregen02.

That's funny you say that because I'm also using a pregen (I guess they were changed this patch?) and have been freezing when I never had a problem before. Idk maybe it's all in my head lol.

@Madmole:

If world generation is staying how it is, PLEASE consider adding this feature request in a18 or a19:

Either a game option to choose medium or large biomes, or a new biome.raw file with biomes half the current sizes.

I played with the biome.raw file, and its very easy to do, a half hour's work at best.

I know you like large biomes, but here is my justification for this:

In my 70 day playthrough, I never saw wasteland, snow, OR desert until day 66, where I spent two full days map exploring. At that point I finally DID see both wasteland and snow.

I was seeking desert though, because I needed to craft gas. I finally looked at the generated biome.png to see where desert was on the map. I had started far SE, and desert was far NW.

This means I never saw a snake, coyote, OR mountain lion either. It doesn't matter whats in those other biomes if new players never even see them. If you want to hook new players they need a taste of that biome diversity. I spent probably 80% of my time in ugly burning lands with only vultures as wildlife (and as a result, no huntable food other than an occasional spawned wolf pack) , 19% in forest so I could hunt for food, and the other 1% or 70 play hours as I travelled hunting down biomes on the map in game.

I can easily do this myself editing that biome.raw file now, but the option for more diversity to balance the play environment really needs to be back in vanilla. Flipping or rotating it to change it up is fine, but the biomes just need to be smaller so players actually see them or can locate them.

Going forward (if this is how they are going to generate biomes from now on) I'd like to either see game options for small, medium or large biomes, or provide a few different biome.raw files, and randomly choose one of them to flip or rotate for map generation.

None of this is really difficult to do, so once someone has critical a18 fixes off their plate this would be a good easy way to add biome balance to the game.

Please bring this up to the team to consider.

I was clearing one of the apartment building POIs, and I was on the fourth floor when a wandering horde ("event horde"?) showed up. I had heard some banging, but since I wasn't stealthing, I had assumed that it was a zombie in another room which I had disturbed. As I turned to leave the room, 8-9 zombies walked in, leaving me nowhere to go. What could I do? I ran to the balcony and jumped down a level ("Hardcore parkour!"), then barricaded the hallway for when they pathed down to my new location. As they came down the stairs, I pulled out the shotgun that I had just found and started blowing them away.

All of that to say, fun times. I'm loving this alpha. Thanks, TFP!

Some zombies randomly having a long knockdown state would be nice. (Like 10 seconds) Making the player believe they are dead already.

It's fun (my mods parameters are up to 10) but the XP notification totally ruins any surprise. Hate that damn thing.

...but the time does help against them conga lining, and especially if they REALLY rage, like for more than a nanosecond? You basically create your own ferals. :)

Don't believe Roland.

After a BM death, you can use a mine to pickup any wrench or even your teeth off the ground.

Don't believe faatal. He just coded the game. My post count is way higher than his. I'm your ticket to the truth. Those baby blues of his are designed to take you down strange paths and invite you into windowless carpeted vans.

Go gather those land mines while you have your window of immunity. Don't waste those precious moments.

Archived