Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

With only 2 GB VRAM, many of the full quality textures won't fit in VRAM, so the GPU is reading them from system RAM, which is much slower.

But i'm running an 8GB card. And the difference in performance between those biomes is massive. Any idea what might be causing it?

I was using a 4k monitor with a 1060 card and getting 10-20 fps so I decided to switch to a normal monitor and now on max settings I get 60+ fps all the time.

4k screen resolution is very hard on the game. It is 4x the number of pixels to render than 1080p and 4x the size of your frame/z/g buffers which are using VRAM. Unless you have a RTX 2080+ level GPU, I don't recommend it.

I play on a RTX 2070 and at High settings 4k is too slow, so I play at 1440p (2560x1440) and get around 60 FPS most of the time with lows around 40 FPS. I could have a solid 60 FPS if I dropped to 1080p, but I'd rather have the higher res.

Madmole, what if the signature weapon of each attribute build, (Junk Turret, M60,..etc) could only be unlocked and used by getting to tier 10 of their respected attribute?

You could still loot the items, scrap them for parts, sell them for dukes, but you couldn't use it unless you 'mastered' it. I know theres pitfalls behind this idea, but I think it would reward people more who specialize. As it is now, I can go full intellect build and still use an purple M60 fully modded. Yeah, it might not do the most damage possible, because I'm not fully spec'd into it, but the damage will still be really good.

I hate RPGs that lock you out of using “out-of-class” weapons. What you describe about the M60 scenario is wonderful. It means we don’t have to perk into everything in order to be able to have powerful options.

I vote no on your suggestion.

I would like to thank @Faatal for his great work, and I am 100% sure that the bandits will be a great challenge for us and we will enjoy it

@Faatal is among my personal idols of this game.

Thanks. I want this game to succeed and work hard to that end, but we are a team and at the end of the day we sink or swim as a team. GO TEAM!

I hate RPGs that lock you out of using “out-of-class” weapons. What you describe about the M60 scenario is wonderful. It means we don’t have to perk into everything in order to be able to have powerful options.

I vote no on your suggestion.

yeah

most of the time i dont perk up in gun perks. up until A18 and that would be a pain in the ass. i like using my M60 i found in a garbage can lol!

I just want to say after reading the notes from the new update that I actually liked the fact I could still run into a feral that had spawned during the night. Made that first trip out in the morning a bit more exciting.

I liked it too. I miss it already. It was probably too much for brand new players after the first night. Maybe later they will extend the lifetime after some day or gamestage.

@MM, I’m not sure if it’s already been offered on the forum, I’ll just offer it again.

I think it makes sense to add a mark on the map and compass for the spear in order to know exactly where to look, just as it has already been done for a transport or garbage turret, and even animals! )

We even manage to lose transport and garbage turrets. And losing a spear is much easier.

In addition, the spear can be equipped with mods no worse than other weapons, and losing it will be very disappointing.

What if the ability to track it was activated by a mod?

@Madmole

Do you think we will ever see the return of rg caves some day?

Its not on the roadmap.

This has been addressed in the Alpha 18 Guide.

Alpha-18-General-play-answers-ideas-and-or-concepts

In ZombieSurvivor's defense, he was 2nd person to view it, he may not know it's been updated it with several things - including several things that are not in Alpha 18, or future 7D2D Alphas.

With only 2 GB VRAM, many of the full quality textures won't fit in VRAM, so the GPU is reading them from system RAM, which is much slower.

The problem is with 1 vram the game is not playable in 640x480 with minimum everything pc as per TFP minimum requirements..

I have 2.70 CPU, gtx 660 and 8 Ram and the game does 800x600 30-60 fps normally. Minimum means 640x480 60fps on a 1 Vram system/ everything like TFP minimum list, which right now is just not the case.

Faatal please can you look at this underworld textures? they render always in a square around the player and never occlude ( I noticed by moving in and out of a building fast in God mode ).

This is my original post. While it is a previous experimental version and the performance improved a bit since then, this problem still applies. The problem is that AF is aplying to those underground cubes in real time , wasting fps.

If you can somehow delete them the game would go from 0 to 100 in no time.

TEST IN LOWEST SETTINGS OCCLUDER ON TEXTURE STREAMING ON.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29431[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29432[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29433[/ATTACH]

Seems like the game is rendering every single tiled terrain texture above and below ground and FULL DETAIL every time you move, and guess what, the fps drop is mathematically consistent to the volume of those 4 faces being rendered in real time. I used to get 90-100 fps in a17.4 (60 if I fix my fps to screen refresh rate). Now I get what the screenshots show with drops to the single digits that worsen the faster I move.

Make no mistake, that is not per chunk. Every time you move the game renders those faces block by block (texture map by texture map? I mean it's like a courtain rendering every block you move relative to the surface). I can literally see that cascade of redundant textures loading in my minimum specs rig when i go below ground in god mode.

In a17.4 there was the same problem but with a HUGE difference: those textures below ground were just low resolution stretched lines. Look at this images from a17.4 with fps included:

TEST IN LOWEST SETTINGS

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29423[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29425[/ATTACH]

That seems to be the real reason why a18 performs crappy outdoors. In a17 it was a problem, but when the texture system improved fps took the full hit on lower rigs because somehow now those underground textures are fully rendered.

SUGGESTED FIXES:

Lazy ass but must have fix: Reduce the texture resolution of ground textures to match texture quality in video options. It should look way worse than it looks now if I chose 1 eight (Those images are 1 eighth texture size, they seem full detail)

Hard but awesome fix: Do not render anything below ground, period. No memory usage there. Hello bandits.

4k screen resolution is very hard on the game. It is 4x the number of pixels to render than 1080p and 4x the size of your frame/z/g buffers which are using VRAM. Unless you have a RTX 2080+ level GPU, I don't recommend it.

I play on a RTX 2070 and at High settings 4k is too slow, so I play at 1440p (2560x1440) and get around 60 FPS most of the time with lows around 40 FPS. I could have a solid 60 FPS if I dropped to 1080p, but I'd rather have the higher res.

How can you get a solid 60fps in 1080p with rtx2070 and I have 20-40fps outside and 50-60 inside in 1080p with gtx 1080? What's the trick?

How can you get a solid 60fps in 1080p with rtx2070 and I have 20-40fps outside and 50-60 inside in 1080p with gtx 1080? What's the trick?

A lot of times people forget/don't know about optimizing your OS for gaming. Windows 10 > Settings > Privacy (don't ask, Microsoft got drunk on that one) > Startup Apps. There are likely over 20 things starting at boot, you can disable prob all of them. Go to the Xbox / Game DVR settings, disable gaming mode / DVR / Xbox linking / all of that. There's also Page file, settings Windows to favor performance to applications over desktop; I could go on, but a quick google search for how to optimize your Win10 for gaming would prob bring up the same things I could type out. Mayhaps I'll make a guide on it lol.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use any "uber elite pro driver updater" tool or website. Ever. Don't click it. Just go to your manufacturer's website and/or Windows update. I've seen Driver Easy literally brick computers before.

Archived