Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

When it's stable. Experimental version is not supposed to be advertised.

They used to, I was getting ready to play & I needed to wipe my files,

I guess I'm gonna have to leave it at latest unstable & uncheck keep game up to date...

Should be able to know when to wipe without coming here,

I never had to come here to know when to wipe the game...

They used to, I was getting ready to play & I needed to wipe my files,

I guess I'm gonna have to leave it at latest unstable & uncheck keep game up to date...

Should be able to know when to wipe without coming here,

I never had to come here to know when to wipe the game...

Because experimental is a new step between development and release since Alpha 17. It wasn't the case before. But you seem to really need to complain, so enjoy.

@Madmole

Do you think we will ever see the return of rg caves some day?

Its not on the roadmap.

Makes me sad. The generating was awesome, the exploring was exciting and slightly dangerous. I found some ponds in there underground, was a epic szenario. Was the way to find ores in some patches.

I have good memories with it, wish they come back as dungeons or underground poi.

Madmole, what if the signature weapon of each attribute build, (Junk Turret, M60,..etc) could only be unlocked and used by getting to tier 10 of their respected attribute?

You could still loot the items, scrap them for parts, sell them for dukes, but you couldn't use it unless you 'mastered' it. I know theres pitfalls behind this idea, but I think it would reward people more who specialize. As it is now, I can go full intellect build and still use an purple M60 fully modded. Yeah, it might not do the most damage possible, because I'm not fully spec'd into it, but the damage will still be really good.

After that the horde did not ever actually finish spawning. Last one was 113 of 279, and we cleaned up (by running over with a 4x4 again) wrapping up at dawn. It was great fun, and now we go off to figure out how to make disposable horde bases, because we can't quite figure how we're going to keep 17+ Demolishers from wrecking anything we throw in their path.

Just be careful with how you shoot them. Carefully shoot them in the head and avoid hitting the explosives and they wont take out your base. If you do happen to start the charge you have a few seconds to quickly unload on them and kill them and if you do they also wont explode.

I have good memories with it, wish they come back as dungeons or underground poi.

I just started a new game and spawned right in front of a building I had never seen before: a coal mine. Once in the corridors of the basement, I began to regret my incursion with just a spear. This is the kind of POI that I love and that replaces in a good way random caves.

When I first heard about them I assumed that they would be used to augment your own personal damage within the vicinity of where you are and that overall base defense would continue to be handled by the regular turrets we’ve had for ages now. Why anyone would abandon the regular turrets and try and use junk turrets for base defense instead is something I’m struggling to understand. If junk turrets are to be elevated to the same level as regular turrets then why have regular turrets? Or am I misunderstanding and people are complaining about the regular turrets on horde night?

The regular turrets as well as traps and walls are the backdrop that all classes/attributes use for their base. They handle some specific percentage of the horde. Unless you want to sip a tea on horde night (there is that one exception on the forum) you usually try to kill or control the rest. Now does the INT player have advantages with stationary traps and turrets so that he doesn't need to kill or control as many as other classes?

Off the top of my head he has easier access to the recipes and gets xp from them, but his perks don't boost stationary turrets or traps directly. Right? Then the damage and crowd control he has to dole out personally (through weapons and his mobile turrets) is comparable to the damage and crowd control every other class has to put out, not less.

Now my point was: DPS doesn't need to be comparable with other weapon specs (as they provide different features), but their use cases on horde nights (as **mobile** turrets) to get some more load off you is hampered if you constantly have to refuel them. (If you don't use them at all on horde night and just shoot with an AK you would need the DPS of a fully perked AK again.

I just started a new game and spawned right in front of a building I had never seen before: a coal mine. Once in the corridors of the basement, I began to regret my incursion with just a spear. This is the kind of POI that I love and that replaces in a good way random caves.

yeah that would be cool maybe a special zombies can spawn there wear they will "berow" and will pop out of the ceiling, walls and grounds of the cave's and will attack you.

B149 changelog states: "Updated PREGEN01-03"

What was updated on these maps? Is it worth to restart my game on one of these maps? Or is the update only minor?

I checked differences and it seems there was no change between the previous and this version. But there was a change between the first experimental and the previous version.

No need to restart but you might see some cliffs.

- - - Updated - - -

2. After respawn, our home base (which was a good 4-500m away) had a Radiated at it almost immediately. I don't know if it was spawned in as we were dying, or what. kiting it into spikes killed it and seemed to keep the BM avoidance intact. (Note: seemed.)

3. Killing zombies by driving them down with the 4x4 does not seem to restart the BM horde. One of us jumped in ours and managed to take out the stragglers that way. They're showing up in the logs as "Entity X killed" instead of "killed by <player>".

BM avoidance check seems not fully functioning yet. I had BM yesterday and died because of oversight/idiocy. After a minute of waiting I tried to restart BM by killing random zombies in POIs, but nothing happened.

I have to agree. The blunderbuss is completely worthless. I have never attempted to make one let alone use it.

There are different types of pump shotguns that could easily be categorized between tier 2 and tier 3

I believe it was MadMole who stated the Blunderbuss needs some attention, and will get it. I would love more "Primitive" weapon options for early game that don't require parts: Primitive Bow (bows), Matchlock Pistol (pistols), Blunderbuss (shotguns), Musket (rifles), Cookson Repeater (machine guns). Probably not worth the effort to develop and balance, though.

I believe it was MadMole who stated the Blunderbuss needs some attention, and will get it. I would love more "Primitive" weapon options for early game that don't require parts: Primitive Bow (bows), Matchlock Pistol (pistols), Blunderbuss (shotguns), Musket (rifles), Cookson Repeater (machine guns). Probably not worth the effort to develop and balance, though.

Primitive Bow.... have you tried A18 yet? nevermind I see what you mean now...

Edit: Adding in verious types of the same weapon seems a bit redundant and pointless......maybe I'm not seeing the benifit.

i got some ideas for make the blunderbuss great again!

First better range! just a bit more range!

new ammo's. now there could be different ammos to uses to kill zombies. and ill list some of the items needed

and new ammo change! 2 rocks , 1 gunpowder for normal and the same but add a different item here

Glass: adds bleed damage! , scrap iron: more range and more damage!, lead: more spread, oil: does a fire damage!

this is how i would list it!

it has a bit more range then the double barrel, the ammo is easier to make , does a bit more damage and its makeshift and easy to craft.

I havent been able to play much due to work sucking up spare time, but about mining... I know the nodes are a thing now, I did mine those but is there still also mine vains at bedrock? Or did those get removed and is everything in the surface nodes now?

Ore veins are indeed scattered throughout the world, even if they're not marked on the surface. While strip mining at bedrock I cam across two lead veins and one nitrate vein, marked down their coordinates, dug down, they the veins only started half-way between bedrock and the surface. (:

and also some Gun Ideas!!

Im sorry for giving ideas again!

Compacted SMG aka uzi: this smg has a faster fire rate and more ammo then the SMG but it has lower range and bullets fly to fly a stray!

Combat Sniper: this gun looks like a modified G3 with a longer barrel. it holds 20 shoots and it can be used as a marksman rifle or an Assault weapon due to its near auto fire rate! and great range! but its kinda hard to make/find

Combat shotgun/AA-12: this full auto Shotgun holds 12 Rounds and can tear stuff up! and can hold more ammo with a drum mag but range is Low and cant uses slugs

50.cal rifle: this heavy rifle can destroy just about any zombie but its a rare weapon to find and ammo is kinda pricey. new ammo 50.cal rounds. also a mod for the hunting rifle allowing it to shoot 50.cal rounds. for the cost of more durability and more noise!

Compacted Grenade launcher: shoots 1 shell but has more range! they explode like a contact grenade. but have a bigger bomb and fragmentation

Combat grenade Launcher: this holds 6 rounds and just can destroy Hoards of zombies. but have lower range!

Yes, I can confirm I am still having the massive drop in FPS in the snow biome at certain day times (after today's update) (existing save game from previous build; pregen02). For my GTX 960 2GB card what is interesting is on medium settings its at least playble at around 30 to 40 fps out in the open in the snow biome but if I move up just texture quality from half to full, my FPS drops back down into the teens. Once I get around too it I will start a new save game to see if its consistent or not.

With only 2 GB VRAM, many of the full quality textures won't fit in VRAM, so the GPU is reading them from system RAM, which is much slower.

Well, I'll never see that pumpkin grow. I really wanted the cash to buy a tier 6 m60 from the trader and grabbed a clear quest... It turned out to be the shotgun messiah factory.

I figured I'd go though it first to refresh my memory, and like some of madmole's earlier a18 games, I wasn't respecting the zombies.

I died with my motorcycle there, had too much loot anyway, so took my new 4x4 over.

I died a second time by feral female lab scientists, again my own disrespect fault, and that was my 5th death, the limit I set for that game. So I'm trying a sp nomad 16 on as madmole's current playthrough.

I kind of want to see the updated progression with encouraged crafting anyway.

Shame, because I had a great base, all the gear I really wanted, and found a place to settle between 3 traders.

That was day 70, a new horde night as well.

Primitive Bow.... have you tried A18 yet? nevermind I see what you mean now...

Edit: Adding in verious types of the same weapon seems a bit redundant and pointless......maybe I'm not seeing the benifit.

I don't know that there is much benefit, just fun or something neat to craft. Again, the effort vs. reward for the developer is likely non-existent, but the idea of having primitive weapons across all weapon trees makes me happy. I wouldn't mind getting through my first (maybe even second, with proper planning, skill, and a little luck) horde night with only primitive weapons. It would be a fun challenge for sure! Imagine a game seeing how far you could get using only primitive weapons and traps.

Are we going to get geologist zombies? You know.. They attack you with their geological hammer.. And as a special attack they throw a rock.

I believe they were demoed once. Problem was they would walk a little, spot a rock, sit down, and play with it. (Lather, rinse, repeat). I know Faatal was trying to get them to follow his new AI, but he finally just gave up.

If you tried to get their attention they would just respond with #%)()(%#)(*W#^(!!!, which I assume is just geolombieologist for 'PRETTY ROCK!

And if you could bring yourself to dispatch them all would get is a really little pick (Worth less than a stone AXE for serious mining) and a backpack full of rocks and clay. (Although the backpacks were typically HUGE and carried TONS of rocks.)

Archived