Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Don't believe Roland.

After a BM death, you can use a mine to pickup any wrench or even your teeth off the ground.

Don't believe faatal. He just coded the game. My post count is way higher than his. I'm your ticket to the truth. Those baby blues of his are designed to take you down strange paths and invite you into windowless carpeted vans.

Go gather those land mines while you have your window of immunity. Don't waste those precious moments.

@Madmole:

If world generation is staying how it is, PLEASE consider adding this feature request in a18 or a19:

Either a game option to choose medium or large biomes, or a new biome.raw file with biomes half the current sizes.

I played with the biome.raw file, and its very easy to do, a half hour's work at best.

I know you like large biomes, but here is my justification for this:

In my 70 day playthrough, I never saw wasteland, snow, OR desert until day 66, where I spent two full days map exploring. At that point I finally DID see both wasteland and snow.

I was seeking desert though, because I needed to craft gas. I finally looked at the generated biome.png to see where desert was on the map. I had started far SE, and desert was far NW.

This means I never saw a snake, coyote, OR mountain lion either. It doesn't matter whats in those other biomes if new players never even see them. If you want to hook new players they need a taste of that biome diversity. I spent probably 80% of my time in ugly burning lands with only vultures as wildlife (and as a result, no huntable food other than an occasional spawned wolf pack) , 19% in forest so I could hunt for food, and the other 1% or 70 play hours as I travelled hunting down biomes on the map in game.

I can easily do this myself editing that biome.raw file now, but the option for more diversity to balance the play environment really needs to be back in vanilla. Flipping or rotating it to change it up is fine, but the biomes just need to be smaller so players actually see them or can locate them.

Going forward (if this is how they are going to generate biomes from now on) I'd like to either see game options for small, medium or large biomes, or provide a few different biome.raw files, and randomly choose one of them to flip or rotate for map generation.

None of this is really difficult to do, so once someone has critical a18 fixes off their plate this would be a good easy way to add biome balance to the game.

Please bring this up to the team to consider.

Madmole already said they will be looking at biomes for A19.

Don't believe faatal. He just coded the game. My post count is way higher than his. I'm your ticket to the truth. Those baby blues of his are designed to take you down strange paths and invite you into windowless carpeted vans.

Go gather those land mines while you have your window of immunity. Don't waste those precious moments.

Roland is trolling. I have a higher post count so I am right. You use a hammer to pry the mine, not a wrench.

Well I figured out how to reproduce the texture streaming bug, took 1 minute to figure it out. that was easy so it should be an easy find and fix for TFP.

20191017155749-1.jpgduplic.jpg20191017160528-1.jpg

lol naw if they needed the help they would ask. its very easy doubt anyone at tfp will have a problem figuring it out. there fine lol... :cocksure:

I really hope this is a joke. Just because you could repro doesn't mean it'll be an easy fix. And then you don't offer to explain how you've done it? TFP have asked for your help, that's what experimental is. Why don't you compile into a thread, have others confirm your findings, and then share that? Instead you come here spouting nonsense and refusing to actually help them.

any chance of the 3 item limit for the trader getting removed? a lot of the stuff we used to sell has been nerfed like crazy and so far from what I have seen selling mechanical parts, electronic parts, leather and a few other resources or items are a way to make some dukes outside of questing.

remove the experience gains from selling stuff if that's what it takes to balance it out or increase the limit to 10 items or stacks. heck I honestly don't know why we even get experience from selling stuff since it makes leveling a lot easier.

I hope it is just teething pains, since it really messed up the use of custom biomes, or any custom terrain setup really. All non vanilla biomes are not being painted over with the correct texture (even if one is correctly defined in the biome xml as topsoil_block="terrForestGround" for example). All I get is some purplish alien landscape, with bricks on the grass. It also kills of any chance to make a mixed ground texture biome.

Then there is the issue for world building or players wanting to place some off-biome terrain type in their base on the ground, it just gets painted over with the texture from the biome.

I also like to mix up grass blocks in between asphalt blocks to make a more old overgrown looking world, but the grass gets painted with ashpalt, not only does this break any form of modding this, it will also confuse players if blocks can look like something they are not.

I am hoping that if Microsplat is here to stay these issues can be addressed, maybe by some xml property on the block (so microsplat ignores it) and making the biomes read the proper xml attribute so they at least get the correct texture applied on blocks.

I agree that it makes the textures nearby the player look great and adds more detail and less seams, but I would rather take the seams than losing all this modding design space the game has had since A17 in creating new and interesting biomes.

+1,

maybe a dev will see it this time ;)

With only 2 GB VRAM, many of the full quality textures won't fit in VRAM, so the GPU is reading them from system RAM, which is much slower.

Hi Faatal,

I also still experience fps drops in the snow biome. The game overall is still very playable on semi-high settings, but these drops always occur in the snow. I do have 6 GB of VRAM.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe they were demoed once. Problem was they would walk a little, spot a rock, sit down, and play with it. (Lather, rinse, repeat). I know Faatal was trying to get them to follow his new AI, but he finally just gave up.

If you tried to get their attention they would just respond with #%)()(%#)(*W#^(!!!, which I assume is just geolombieologist for 'PRETTY ROCK!

And if you could bring yourself to dispatch them all would get is a really little pick (Worth less than a stone AXE for serious mining) and a backpack full of rocks and clay. (Although the backpacks were typically HUGE and carried TONS of rocks.)

Oh man, nice one! ^-^

Roland is trolling. I have a higher post count so I am right. You use a hammer to pry the mine, not a wrench.

I find the trick is to stealth up to them and give them a little nudge. if they rattle (like trash does), you can just pick them up like harvesting crops.

It's fun (my mods parameters are up to 10) but the XP notification totally ruins any surprise. Hate that damn thing.

This "damn thing" allows players to understand that things like mining, upgrading, looting make sense. I'm sure it won't be displayed when the game gets gold. But it's necessary at this moment and your fight against this feature is a lost one.

...New Dynamic Music System (DMS)

Its been in the works for a long time and the first version is finally here. We now have a dynamic music system that plays a variety of tracks and can combine them so you never hear the same song twice. Right now they only play during exploration or a non combat moments. Future updates will detect your threat level and introduce combat music. Users can disable the system entirely or define what percentage of the day music can play for and adjust the music volume.

@Madmole: While I, and many others, play with 7DtD music off I don't think DMS was a total waste of man hours. Yes, I tried the new stuff and still turned it off. If you've ever played State of Decay 2 for an extended period of time, you will notice a tremendous amount of effort and detail went into their ambient audio (environmental background noises - NOT music). I truly believe this new DMS could and should be re-purposed for a much wider variety of ambient audio in 7 Days to Die.

As far as music soundtracks, perhaps just save it for the gold edition and an OST joint venture with TFP and some instrumentals from professional musicians like these examples - check them out if you haven't already:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedeadsouth4

https://www.youtube.com/user/theblackkeys

https://www.youtube.com/user/uncleluciusband

BTW, keep up the good work. Looking forward to what's next after A18e.

This "damn thing" allows players to understand that things like mining, upgrading, looting make sense. I'm sure it won't be displayed when the game gets gold. But it's necessary at this moment and your fight against this feature is a lost one.

That "damn thing" is useless and ruins any surprise in the game. Is that zombie dead, can I turn my back? No, I didn't get an "hey buddy, it's dead, you're safe!" notification... There's this little blue line that's hardly visible in the hud if you really want to see XP gains.

- - - Updated - - -

I find the trick is to stealth up to them and give them a little nudge. if they rattle (like trash does), you can just pick them up like harvesting crops.

Yes that too. If you punch it at just the right angle, a diffuse menu comes up. I remember madmole showing it off in his videos.

I haven't done an INT build yet as finding 100 hours of free time for each build is difficult but I will get to it eventually.

I can't wait to hear what your INT build ends up playing like once you get around to it.

I've got two saves where I'm running a pure INT build on each. One of them is on default settings where I play with a large co-op group. The other is a solo Insane/Nightmare Speed permadeath run.

That "damn thing" is useless and ruins any surprise in the game. Is that zombie dead, can I turn my back? No, I didn't get an "hey buddy, it's dead, you're safe!" notification... There's this little blue line that's hardly visible in the hud if you really want to see XP gains.

I totally agree with that, I hate too the XP counter. But it's necessary for now. Without it you would have a thousend posts to explain how mining or building is worthless. XP counter stops the whinning. It's good for now. IF - note the caps - it's still there when the game goes gold, I'll join your team. Hope you've beers.

giphy.gif

I really hope this is a joke. Just because you could repro doesn't mean it'll be an easy fix. And then you don't offer to explain how you've done it? TFP have asked for your help, that's what experimental is. Why don't you compile into a thread, have others confirm your findings, and then share that? Instead you come here spouting nonsense and refusing to actually help them.

I've been doing this a long time, thanks for your pointers but I'm good. Do not judge that which u know not about friend.

Edit: I could care less if its an easy fix, I dont do the programming for this game. only they would know, ask them. :)

In that other thread I was only pointing out that the CURRENT slider for zombie rage is the difficulty slider and people should use it if they don't like rage.

No worries (sorry; I hate when people say "no worries", but it's apt and I mean it the nice way) you came off as crabbier than normal in that other thread, so I couldn't possibly resist here. :)

I like your "ideal options suite" (though I think "iOS" is already taken). I might choose to keep the current one, and then also have all the sliders (including an additional one for GS incremental rate) just so we can have a somewhat finite common framework to compare experiences . If that sounds like I want to eat my cake and have it too...well, maybe.

-Morloc

I am really enjoying A18, I had completely forgotten about the random stats. (note to self look at the stats of my gear when I play tonight.) I haven't noticed any bugs yet that pulled me out of the game yet. I did notice if you put down a junk turrent to protect your base and keep exploring it will disappear after a while. I am playing pretty much the same way I did A17 so far with regarding the various attributes ( spreading out my points over several attributes.)

@Quantum Blue Very nice FAQ post!!!

@madmole

are farmingplots the only way to place seeds or can still use the hoe to make farmingland outside our base.Is the hoe now useless???i wish we can have both plots for inside a base with farming-lights and for outside the good old farmingland with fertelizer.

greetings

Archived