Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

This is just a wild guess...I think there is a top soil function that fills in things such as grass. It is either bugged or the function only works on the initial world/prefab generation and not on respawned prefabs.

Yeah I was thinking the same, sorta. I rarely get feed back as to what caused a bug unless I ask which I don't.

I really really am looking forward to breaking this game as much as I can when A18 releases. This go around I'm actually going to take the time to write up a report for every single bug I find, unholyjoe and the rest of the guys and gal of the testing team is going to have lots of work lol :). Normally I only report maybe 5-10% of the bugs I find.

I've heard rumors Snowdog is not at all that good at....polishing a spear lol

ah I suck at telling these types of jokes but thats what we have Snowdog for.

- - - Updated - - -

no don't be done I'm sure Snowdog will love the idea of you joining in. :p

It's not about how well you can polish your spear, it's about how often you can throw it.

- - - Updated - - -

STICKY granades, why is this the first time I'm hearing of this! lol I had no idea sticky granades was added. A18 looking better and better with every new thing i hear about.

Any grenade handled by SnowDog is a sticky grenade.

This is just a wild guess...I think there is a top soil function that fills in things such as grass. It is either bugged or the function only works on the initial world/prefab generation and not on respawned prefabs.

I believe those items are what TFP refer to as "biome decorations." They are biome-specific and I believe they get laid out AFTER POI placement on the map. So it makes sense if the quest reset is resetting all the blocks in the POI area and they don't have any special code to add the biome decorations back in after the reset, then it would do exactly what you're seeing here.

No. There is no simple code fix for that. Spawn points do not have a history of you saw inside it a moment ago, so I can't spawn there now, nor do they check when you are outside a sleeper volume. Spawn visibility checks are not cheap, so they are done over time and only when you get near a sleeper volume. Possibly when you damage inside the volume it could spawn. Designers could move up the top of the volume or maybe group it with the up stairs, but sometimes that leads of other behaviors they don't want.

Like you said, this looks like an issue with volume placement.

In A18 designers could link a 2nd volume to more accurately trigger the first one... but TBH at this time we're in no way interested in A17 prefab bugs. Too much has changed and it would only be a waste of time.

Question: Did you do a spreadsheet to work out balancing all the various builds, or did you wing it? Doing a spreadsheet of them might help in balancing, if you aren't already.

Joel does design, I do spreadsheets and technical design.

I believe those items are what TFP refer to as "biome decorations." They are biome-specific and I believe they get laid out AFTER POI placement on the map. So it makes sense if the quest reset is resetting all the blocks in the POI area and they don't have any special code to add the biome decorations back in after the reset, then it would do exactly what you're seeing here.

from browsing the vanilla prefabs through the editor, I believe most if not all of them have no grass. This is probably done intentionally since a prefab spawned in a snow biome and a forest biome will have different biome decorations. :)

You would be correct, atleast that is how I always pictured it working in my head. I think Laz Man was thinking this way as well.

EDIT: lol I should have kept reading the posts. Yeah Laz Man understands.

In your opinion, which is more powerful in game? Throwing the spear or thrusting it?

staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, staby-stabstab, :fat:

Have you tried opening a copy of the POI up in the prefab editor to see what the sleeper volume looks like? It might be a simple fix of just expanding the volume a little larger so that it can trigger at the top of that staircase.

This is definitely not what the player should do) This is a POI design error, that's why I wrote about it.

I do wonder how base design will be impacted since the cop and vulture puke can now go through some blocks, like the bars. Since the common base design that usually was good enough was the simple cage.

where did you read/see this? I can't seem to find any mention of a change to bars in the opening post or elsewhere?

where did you read/see this? I can't seem to find any mention of a change to bars in the opening post or elsewhere?

there are a lot of changes that are not on 1st page... the list is humongous and i am willing to say even the full list on a18exp will probably be missing something... its big... oh did i say it was big... the list that is. :)

and yes... spit/vomit does go thru wood/iron bars and you can see it several times on MM's videos during horde nights when his GS is high enough for them. :)

there are a lot of changes that are not on 1st page... the list is humongous and i am willing to say even the full list on a18exp will probably be missing something... its big... oh did i say it was big... the list that is. :)

and yes... spit/vomit does go thru wood/iron bars and you can see it several times on MM's videos during horde nights when his GS is high enough for them. :)

yes plz

Archived