Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'm gonna mod it so the spear throw does same or less damage than stabbing. Reason? Just watching the videos people keep throwing spears at point blank and instantly retrieving them. Distance is enough advantage for a power strike.

But it uses a lot more stamina, so whatever, break your game dude. TBH Spears are the worst melee weapon I've used so far, but you know what you are doing.

Nice.

A few observations.

1: Thank you for unlocking the doors to the trailers. I rarely bothered with them because it was too much of a pain to beat down those iron doors for the 2-3 lootable items that might be inside.

I never bothered to break down the doors myself. I always let the zombies do the work. Just knock on the door with your club or hammer to wake up the zombies and then wait.

2: Have the toilets been 'fixed' so you are not going to be finding guns in them any more? :)

No, but you only find level one pistols in the toilets. The pistols in the toilets are no bug but a reference to the movie "The Godfather".

3: Was there an adjustment to the numbers of zombies spawning in POIs? I did that same house not long ago at about level 20 and encountered 2 to 3 times as many zombies as you did. Also usually the trailers when I would mess with them also had multliple zombies in each as opposed to 1 per like you saw.

According to what I read the number of zombies in the POIs is reduced by about 20%.

Was re-reading page 1. Didnt realize steel bullets where removed. I always have terrible luck finding ammo or brass, I hope you managed to balance that out nicely. Also Whats the best way to get paper now, I always seem to have trouble since regular books have been pulled and I only ever found that paper factory once.

But it uses a lot more stamina, so whatever, break your game dude. TBH Spears are the worst melee weapon I've used so far, but you know what you are doing.

I personally loved the spear fighting in your last video, very fast an dynamic.

By the way, I found a tiny "bug?" in your video regarding a certain item: the radiator in the house at the 4:20 mark is taken appart with a wrench and is supposed to be taken appart with a wrench, and yet it has no wrenching animation while everything else in the video has.

the video:

Edit: Now that I think of it, the knife animation for taking appart carcasses on the road is also not there in a17 , which is confusing for noobs . Feature confirmed!

@Faatal

I was wondering if you have figured out and fixed vehicles vanishing and or sometimes creating copies of the same vehicle upon logging back in after the vehicles go heywire? These two bugs stopped me from ever using vehicles in A17, besides the bicycle. Never tried the gyrocopter, still looking forward to that if vehicles have been fixed.

I'm assuming you do the coding for vehicles so you would be the one to ask. If I am wrong my apologies.

Yeah, I take care of vehicles.

There were some vehicle tracking issues and improvements I added in A17.x versions.

I improved vehicle load/save logging a week ago in A18, since MM had an issue. We will just have to keep monitoring it. These bugs are rare, which means I generally can't reproduce them, so hard to fix when all you can do it look at code and guess about some weird case that might happen, do a blind fix and hope it works.

Yeah that sucks. I didn't think about bullets being instant hits. Oh well. I think your idea would be good though. There are so many POIs now, that it would take forever to find all the problematic sleepers and report them. In the end, it would never truly solve it because you could always break walls to see where the POI designer doesn't want you to see. Your idea would at least reduce instances for typical gameplay, though.

The bicycle crafting issue was user error (need a workbench). Hopefully we can get better messaging/tooltips on some of this stuff.

that sucks. cuz more zombies are always good. plus it kinda drives me crazy when i see like 5 of the same zombies(with some exceptions like feral)

I think he meant the total amount of zombies, not more different zombies.

Also, I think it would be PITA to have a ton of zombies with the current balancing and AI of the game. From what I've seen, the 7DTD zombies have the version where zombies have natural damage resistance and the version where people get infected and some get specific mutations.

Everything was new and exciting, action movies, women had big hair, tight bright clothing and crazy makeup. We drove fast cars, monster trucks, loud music, rock n roll, long hair lol. Good times.

I remember the 80s. everything was extremely new and exciting for sure. I remember diapers, bottles of milk whenever I wanted, lots of hugs and kisses, I could sleep and wake up on my own time, had my ass wiped for me....good times =P

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I take care of vehicles.

There were some vehicle tracking issues and improvements I added in A17.x versions.

I improved vehicle load/save logging a week ago in A18, since MM had an issue. We will just have to keep monitoring it. These bugs are rare, which means I generally can't reproduce them, so hard to fix when all you can do it look at code and guess about some weird case that might happen, do a blind fix and hope it works.

Thank you for the response.

I remember the 80s. everything was extremely new and exciting for sure. I remember diapers, bottles of milk whenever I wanted, lots of hugs and kisses, I could sleep and wake up on my own time, had my ass wiped for me....good times =P

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the response.

now look at ya... all good things come to an end :)

I think he meant the total amount of zombies, not more different zombies.

Also, I think it would be PITA to have a ton of zombies with the current balancing and AI of the game. From what I've seen, the 7DTD zombies have the version where zombies have natural damage resistance and the version where people get infected and some get specific mutations.

oh

well i fell like a idiot

but i think there could be a pinch more zombies that wandering

but i think in 7dtd it should be humans vs zombies vs nature that's why im so happy mountain lions and coyotes

We'd love to have more zombies, but we'd have to throw away digging terrain, destroyable worlds, and all the dynamic emergent fun our game has just for that one thing. Its a lot easier to add more zombies when your meshes are built (like a whole hose plopped down with welded verts, basic collision, pre computed lighting, pre computed navigation mesh, etc. Anyhow, I think its what separates us from the games you mentioned.

Speaking of that, I wanted to ask, is there a way to turn off digging terrain when your not digging?

I mean the only time you want it diggable is when your digging ofc. But most of the time your not.

So you blaming me for your 'not so awesome' spear fight? Maybe you need to clear your mind and have a fresh look 'from the outside', everyone in videos throwing spears at point blank immediately retrieving them, very unrealistic. Humanity fought with spears for millennia and you decided to invent something new. Even the old shovel fight was better. And modders had normal spears at least since A15.

We'd love to have more zombies, but we'd have to throw away digging terrain, destroyable worlds, and all the dynamic emergent fun our game has just for that one thing. Its a lot easier to add more zombies when your meshes are built (like a whole hose plopped down with welded verts, basic collision, pre computed lighting, pre computed navigation mesh, etc. Anyhow, I think its what separates us from the games you mentioned.

That argument falls apart when you've had alphas that had lots more zombies ... What you REALLY mean to say is you'd love to have more zombies but you aren't willing to because you have to cater to the potatoes that signed on years ago when technology didn't allow it.

So you blaming me for your 'not so awesome' spear fight? Maybe you need to clear your mind and have a fresh look 'from the outside', everyone in videos throwing spears at point blank immediately retrieving them, very unrealistic. Humanity fought with spears for millennia and you decided to invent something new. Even the old shovel fight was better. And modders had normal spears at least since A15.

Far away from blaming you, let just let them give us their own vision of the game. As you said, mod it, okay.

Archived