Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Mine honestly would have to be "looting 2.0" as I call it. This in my opinion will bring a lot of players back and make it feel like A16 again.

Agreed. There are quite a few things that scared off OG players. A lot of my Server's players have been angry with the changes and it reflects in their playtime.

XP for trap kills, no question. After day 7 all I do is base building while my friends do looting so being able to get easy xp while staying in the base is great. I can't stress how much I like this addition to the game. Finally a win for us househusbands.

Hell yeah, I agree. As a man with my entire base surrounded with about 30 blade traps, and about 75 blocks worth of electric fencing, this will surely make my XP grind easier.

haha yeah, I have a small horde base with a few traps on each side. The building can't be more than 8x8. Works perfectly on every Blood Moon

I ended up settling on a 12x12 not counting the blade-trap moat. There's anywhere from four to six people playing in my group and we wanted something roomy but reasonably affordable material-wise. We've always managed to get the blade traps running by the day 14 bloodmoon since everyone is contributing. All I really need to do is make sure I'm able to craft them. I do wonder how long it will take to get this setup in A18, though. Getting that crucible is going to be key. I'll try to see if I can perk into it if we don't find a crucible schematic in a timely fashion.

I must say that's a cool looking base.

Thanks! This was the latest evolution of our group's only base; our last game in preparation for Alpha 18. We like having something that works for crafting and hoardnight. I am a little concerned as to how easily the base will stand up to the later hoards in A18. I might have to sink the moat down another two tiles and plant a row of blade traps on the wall. The previous version of the base had that but it turned out to be overkill.

Here's some more shots.

7days.jpg.5c166b86c18ce69be9b436831fc954a8.jpg

That rabbit has been stuck in the basement since the last bloodmoon. We haven't named him/her yet.

Just finished watching madmoles latest video. We usually hold out in the basement during the bloodmoon and I'm now wondering if giving the entire crew spears would be a good way to save on ammo while still having enough reach against anything that makes it to the base wall.

I ended up settling on a 12x12 not counting the blade-trap moat. There's anywhere from four to six people playing in my group and we wanted something roomy but reasonably affordable material-wise. We've always managed to get the blade traps running by the day 14 bloodmoon since everyone is contributing. All I really need to do is make sure I'm able to craft them. I do wonder how long it will take to get this setup in A18, though. Getting that crucible is going to be key. I'll try to see if I can perk into it if we don't find a crucible schematic in a timely fashion.

Thanks! This was the latest evolution of our group's only base; our last game in preparation for Alpha 18. We like having something that works for crafting and hoardnight. I am a little concerned as to how easily the base will stand up to the later hoards in A18. I might have to sink the moat down another two tiles and plant a row of blade traps on the wall. The previous version of the base had that but it turned out to be overkill.

Here's some more shots.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29188[/ATTACH]

That rabbit has been stuck in the basement since the last bloodmoon. We haven't named him/her yet.

Just finished watching madmoles latest video. We usually hold out in the basement during the bloodmoon and I'm now wondering if giving the entire crew spears would be a good way to save on ammo while still having enough reach against anything that makes it to the base wall.

Bonus Points for visual pleasing aesthetics. 👍. Regarding modifications, it Wouldnt be a new alpha if it didnt make you adapt in some way. 😅

That sounds like a good solution.

What about detecting something like a bullet or arrow entering a loaded volume? It might be some extra milliseconds of time before an armoire door breaks.

Bullets are instant hits. Arrows travel over time.

At this moment I am too tired to care and the bicycle parts won't craft in my new game I started tonight, so that sucks. Probably an XML bug.

Ok thanks for clearing that up, it can take rather long tho before the actual UI window appears. I am sure the cleanup is needed, just wondering if the opening of a loot container is the best one to trigger it, but I guess that also loads the inventory window as well which does.. Yeah tough call, seemed less than it was in A17 so hopefully this is a non-issue in A18.

The open UI lag issue people saw in the video and the testers and devs were talking about today, would not be that, since it has a 20 minute timer on it. I started a new game today and played until day 4, looking for the lag and nothing. Needs more research.

Bullets are instant hits. Arrows travel over time.

At this moment I am too tired to care and the bicycle parts won't craft in my new game I started tonight, so that sucks. Probably an XML bug.

Yeah that sucks. I didn't think about bullets being instant hits. Oh well. I think your idea would be good though. There are so many POIs now, that it would take forever to find all the problematic sleepers and report them. In the end, it would never truly solve it because you could always break walls to see where the POI designer doesn't want you to see. Your idea would at least reduce instances for typical gameplay, though.

@TFP

So I was reviewing Madmoles video again looking for bugs, gotta get my "bug hunting" fix some how till A18 drops, and I caught this. I'm not sure if it is a bug or not. Before Madmole starts the quest at the POI you can see grass and stuff on the ground of that POI. Once MM initiated the quest all the grass disappeared. It seems like during the POI reset it deletes all of the grass at the POI yet never loads anymore. Here are pics. Further in the video you can see there is 0 grass anywhere at the POI.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

@TFP

So I was reviewing Madmoles video again looking for bugs, gotta get my bug hunting fix some how till A18 drops, and I caught this. I'm not sure if it is a bug or not. Before Madmole starts the quest at the POI you can see grass and stuff on the ground of that POI. Once MM initiated the quest all the grass disappeared. It seems like during the POI reset it deletes all of the grass at the POI. Here are pics. Further in the video you can see there is 0 grass at the POI.

1.png

2.png

3.png

That isn't a bug, as far as I know. When you start the quest, it resets the entire POI. The POI itself, the zombies, the loot, grass, cars, garbage piles, etc. The game basically rebuilds it from scratch. Because of this, some differences always occur, such as locations of grass, the color of the car in a garage, it may reset working workstations to broken ones, etc.

Almost everything remains the same. The game has a template of what is supposed to go there, it just doesn't remember all the details (separate files within files that always generate misc. things randomly, like grass and ore placement), but it knows all the key details. However, if a garbage pile outside the POI wasn't supposed to be there upon the generation of the POI (it was placed there beforehand (afterwards? can't remember); think layers), then it will rid of it.

That isn't a bug, as far as I know. When you start the quest, it resets the entire POI. The POI itself, the zombies, the loot, grass, cars, garbage piles, etc. The game basically rebuilds it from scratch. Because of this, some differences always occur, such as locations of grass, the color of the car in a garage, it may reset working workstations to broken ones, etc.

I know thats why i said when it reset it deleted all grass. never spawning anymore in...seems like a bug.

I fully understand how the quest, poi reset works. Thanks anyways :)

To be precise after the POI reset there is 0 grass....that seems like a bug or else it will make the game world look ugly af.

I know thats why i said when it reset it deleted all grass. never spawning anymore in...seems like a bug.

I fully understand how to quest, poi reset works.

I edited my post above. Read the bottom paragraph; it explains things a little better. (:

The reason why it's beneficial that it resets everything is imagine if the POI was completely destroyed. (Say, someone griefed it with a rocket launcher.) Having a quest there would be for naught.

I edited my post above. Read the bottom paragraph; it explains things a little better. (:

The reason why it's beneficial that it resets everything is imagine if the POI was completely destroyed. (Say, someone griefed it with a rocket launcher.) Having a quest there would be for naught.

again...i understand how it all works. thanks anyways. you're not understanding the possible bug. re-read my post. :)

again...i understand how it all works. thanks anyways. you're not understanding the possible bug. re-read my post. :)

I'm understanding it perfectly. Lol. When the quest resets the POI, it doesn't just reset the POI itself. There's a designated area around the POI that it resets as well; a large rectangle or square mostly.

I'm understanding it perfectly. Lol. When the quest resets the POI, it doesn't just reset the POI itself. There's a designated area around the POI that it sets as well; a large rectangle or square mostly.

lol I give up. The bug is ZERO grass spawning on that POI after the reset of that POI. The bug is no grass

Go to my original post and look at pic 4.

Ohhh lol. Why didn't you say so? :p

So it was the entire POI? Or did you only see the doorway there? If it's the former, then hmm...

lol I thought I did. I think you missed pic 4. You must have read my post before I included pic 4. :)

When I re-read my own post I noticed it could be confusing so I went and took another pic..I must have been doing that while you were responding the first time.

EDIT: sorry missed your question. Yes its the entire POI property.

@Faatal

I was wondering if you have figured out and fixed vehicles vanishing and or sometimes creating copies of the same vehicle upon logging back in after the vehicles go heywire? These two bugs stopped me from ever using vehicles in A17, besides the bicycle. Never tried the gyrocopter, still looking forward to that if vehicles have been fixed.

I'm assuming you do the coding for vehicles so you would be the one to ask. If I am wrong my apologies.

lol I give up. The bug is ZERO grass spawning on that POI after the reset of that POI. The bug is no grass

Go to my original post and look at pic 4.

This is just a wild guess...I think there is a top soil function that fills in things such as grass. It is either bugged or the function only works on the initial world/prefab generation and not on respawned prefabs.

Archived