Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Na, you just didn't hear about it because the only way to find out about crazy was to witness it personally, or read about it in the newspaper or watch it on tv. It feels like the media has shifted towards strongly favoring negativity and report it with bias where back then they just read the news and kept their feelings out of it. Like there would be "good news" too but since bad news sells better they did away with the heart warming stories they used to share. I don't watch the news, so the worst drama in my life is someone getting upset over a video game feature we changed :)

yeah true the news focus a lot on bad news. lol

So you blaming me for your 'not so awesome' spear fight? Maybe you need to clear your mind and have a fresh look 'from the outside', everyone in videos throwing spears at point blank immediately retrieving them, very unrealistic. Humanity fought with spears for millennia and you decided to invent something new. Even the old shovel fight was better. And modders had normal spears at least since A15.

How would nerfing it make it awesome? Realism has zero place in video games. What do you want a big slow timer to pull your spear out to feel like a proper caveman? We did something that is fun and accessible. Not sure what your after. Carrying 100 tons of stone isn't realistic either but its fun to build.

Na, you just didn't hear about it because the only way to find out about crazy was to witness it personally, or read about it in the newspaper or watch it on tv. It feels like the media has shifted towards strongly favoring negativity and report it with bias where back then they just read the news and kept their feelings out of it. Like there would be "good news" too but since bad news sells better they did away with the heart warming stories they used to share. I don't watch the news, so the worst drama in my life is someone getting upset over a video game feature we changed :)

Negativity sells really, really well. Mostly because it sticks in your brain much stronger/longer than good news. Like when most people hear "Louis C K" they'll remember him for his allegations, not for his comedy.

How would nerfing it make it awesome? Realism has zero place in video games. What do you want a big slow timer to pull your spear out to feel like a proper caveman? We did something that is fun and accessible. Not sure what your after. Carrying 100 tons of stone isn't realistic either but its fun to build.

Ehh I actually agree it's pretty goofy to throw spears point blank like that, even in the context of gameplay/balance. I think the spears should be encouraged to be used in hand when fighting melee, throwing spears point blank looks really awkward to me.

That argument falls apart when you've had alphas that had lots more zombies ... What you REALLY mean to say is you'd love to have more zombies but you aren't willing to because you have to cater to the potatoes that signed on years ago when technology didn't allow it.

We've never had more zombies than since a17. It was set to 64 max alive since alpha 1, its 80 something now I think. When we didn't have sleepers there might have been more in the wild but there was never any inside unless a designer hand placed one and he'd break out anyway and die from old age half the time. Having interesting sleepers beats a bunch of guys spinning circles outdoors and no zombies inside at all protecting loot. Now with zombies outside and unlimited zombies inside, there are more zombies than there ever has been.

When I make "7 Days To Die" development news for my YT channel, I rarely admit feelings, but people in the comments often ask me to express my attitude to these or other changes ... I don’t give up ... but it's a matter of time =)

Okay, this has probably been asked before, sorry, but: if Q6 is supposed to be loot-only, does that mean the nerdy glasses are gone, or Q4 is the normal crafting limit, or the nerdy glasses effect is capped at Q5, or are nerdy glasses seriously magic loot now?

They just give you 10% xp and +1 to int.

We'd love to have more zombies, but we'd have to throw away digging terrain, destroyable worlds, and all the dynamic emergent fun our game has just for that one thing. Its a lot easier to add more zombies when your meshes are built (like a whole hose plopped down with welded verts, basic collision, pre computed lighting, pre computed navigation mesh, etc. Anyhow, I think its what separates us from the games you mentioned.

I agree. It is what separates 7 Days to Day from all other survival games. Frankly, I don't think it NEEDS more zombies. That's a different game at this point. Like Dying Light or some other.

Negativity sells really, really well. Mostly because it sticks in your brain much stronger/longer than good news. Like when most people hear "Louis C K" they'll remember him for his allegations, not for his comedy.

I've heard it takes 10 positives to wipe out one negative.

For the sake of balance, the drift of a spear for a throw can be made longer, you can also make a separate animation for raising a spear so that you need to spend some time ... in this case, you can do more damage from a spear throw ...

P.S. I hope the horse which I beat is not dead yet =)

couple things to ask if i may, in A17 vehicles dealt unprotected damage to structures under land claim, causing most servers to ban vehicle raiding and sometimes vehicles. has this been changed in A18? next, the issue of gyro's staying in the air when players exited them was fixed for local games, but still exists on servers. i know that player counts above 8 are not technically supported but i was hoping that this was addressed as well?

Realism has zero place in video games. <snip>.

Oh I strongly disagree on that. Military based FPS is a prime example of where realism shines bright. The more real the better. Example check out "Ground Branch" and "Squad" two of the most realistic military sim games on the market right now. "Squad" being IMO the most realistic and accurate military sim every created. As far as 7D2D, realism not really needed all that much. :)

The Most REALISTIC Room Clearing Experience? - Ground Branch

Content warning for those that served in the military and have PTSD. Watch at your own disgression

US SUPERFOB Under HEAVY Mortar Fire - Squad Gameplay Alpha 9.6

That argument falls apart when you've had alphas that had lots more zombies ... What you REALLY mean to say is you'd love to have more zombies but you aren't willing to because you have to cater to the potatoes that signed on years ago when technology didn't allow it.

I'm sure that's partly true however it's a +/- resource game based on constraints of minimum computer requirements. Add implementation A at what cost, subtract implementation B to what gain. Rinse and repeat until satisfied with end product.

Archived