Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

29 minutes ago, Roland said:

lol...Last year at this time we were so excited that the A21 dev diary thread was finally starting. And now we can't wait for it to be over...

You know the old saying "The zombies are always greener on the other side of the fence"

On 3/13/2023 at 1:43 AM, faatal said:

I don't remember, but I was and am working on the decal shader, which is not a systems change. Just a change to rendering the decals we have on roads.

Does this mean that the road markings will not be a block anymore and will be painted with decals instead?

5 hours ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

@faatalQuestion for the game when it goes gold. Will the sandbox mode have a setting to disable bandits if we'd like to? 

We won't be deciding things like that until the feature is in and we actually play and balance it.

2 hours ago, playlessNamer said:

Will the ugly gap between sand/gravel and stone/concrete/wood blocks be fixed in the next patch?

No. I said previously that terrain diamonds can't fill a cube exactly.

2 hours ago, Trankitas said:

Tomorrow is this thread's birthday, any info on A21 to celebrate? @faatal

Sure, each day is a day closer.

17 minutes ago, Chris Dunaway said:

Does this mean that the road markings will not be a block anymore and will be painted with decals instead?

No. Different systems. A hand placed block on a road is not a decal mesh generated above a terrain block.

On 3/12/2023 at 11:30 AM, DanLW said:

They made the mistake of releasing on Friday.  This is why TFP alphas are generally released on Monday so that unexpected game breaking bugs can be worked during the work week.

(Star Citizen is currently experiencing massive.outages)

7 days will go gold long before Star Citizen or Squadron 42.

A21 has to actually get here first. Otherwise, we see nothing.

3 hours ago, faatal said:

I said previously that terrain diamonds can't fill a cube exactly.

In the Prefab Editor, those diamonds can be allowed to extend more fully into adjacent blocks and that frequently is enough to eliminate the gutter.

While the Prefab Editor has that feature, the Game does not. Could it perhaps be a feature linked to a tool such as the shovel?

Even with that feature, there are cases where you cannot use the feature to extend one of those terrain diamonds into the adjacent block as it visually intrudes into view.  Could there be a block that resembled the terrain diamonds that could be placed? If so, perhaps players could craft that block and then the "shovel" feature in the paragraph above wouldn't be needed?

1 hour ago, Old Crow said:

Looks good. Makes me wonder if other crafting stations are going to be bigger though.

I believe that they will maintain the same 1x2 footprint. The forge was increased to 1x2. The campfire and the cement mixer might still be 1x1 but I’m not sure. 

9 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

as someone who been doing real blacksmithing (poorly but still)
i APROVE 

Reveal hidden contents

the Hardy hole is too far from the edge.  it doesnt seem like it goes all the way through.... 

Wow that forge looks great :)

Looks like it will be 2w x 2h x 1d in dimensions but the scale isn't immediately obvious.

What I'm very curious about is... and this would require a fairly fundamental change so my guess to my own question is no - the crucible, bellows and anvil... will they be dynamic? It will be somewhat torturous if you have bad rng looking for a crucible, for example, and visually there's one just sitting there on your forge.
My guess is that yes, the block will still be just static and the appearance will not be tied to the tool slots. But how cool would it be if I'm wrong.

It would be great if modifications to armor, clothes and weapons were visually displayed. In addition to the silencer, sight, laser pointer and flashlight. After all, there are "Folding butt", "Extended barrel", Extended magazine "and others for weapons. And all sorts of armor plates, pouches and other things for clothes with armor.

3 hours ago, Gronal said:

Wow that forge looks great :)

Looks like it will be 2w x 2h x 1d in dimensions but the scale isn't immediately obvious.

What I'm very curious about is... and this would require a fairly fundamental change so my guess to my own question is no - the crucible, bellows and anvil... will they be dynamic? It will be somewhat torturous if you have bad rng looking for a crucible, for example, and visually there's one just sitting there on your forge.
My guess is that yes, the block will still be just static and the appearance will not be tied to the tool slots. But how cool would it be if I'm wrong.

Would it really be that big of a change, though? We already have weapon models that are dynamic based on what mods you have installed. This is exactly the same principle. I would be extremely surprised (and disappointed) if the model wasn't dynamic. Sure would be a waste of the new design.

18 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

Would it really be that big of a change, though? We already have weapon models that are dynamic based on what mods you have installed. This is exactly the same principle. I would be extremely surprised (and disappointed) if the model wasn't dynamic. Sure would be a waste of the new design.

Well I was kinda just covering my ass by assuming it won't be dynamic, as I don't know that much about the game's inner workings and how big of a job it would be to make blocks' meshes change dynamically.