Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

15 minutes ago, kexes said:

Looks kinda small to me if this is really a Tier 4 POI. Unless of course there is an underground complex underneath :)

I'm sure there must be underground for it to be tier 4.  Looks good.

Unfortunately they are still using a flag pole that can't be used in residential or rural or similar POI and look good (I'm assuming they haven't added a second flag pole for such use).  It wouldn't be so bad if I could bury the base, but you can't fill in around it, so that isn't an option.

4 hours ago, Doomofman said:

FrnM0YqXwAA6XCN?format=jpg&name=large

Lots of the new assets on show here. I see two of the new vehicle props, new sandbags, concrete barriers, barb wire and spotlights right off the bat.

Also, if one of the devs could answer. How are the tents being done? A single asset or voxel based but with a new texture?

I'm more interested in the pickup truck.It doesn't look like a set.

6 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Lots of the new assets on show here. I see two of the new vehicle props, new sandbags, concrete barriers, barb wire and spotlights right off the bat.

Also, if one of the devs could answer. How are the tents being done? A single asset or voxel based but with a new texture?

The tent is broken up into several modular pieces to give level design alot of flexibility in their use.  L and T shaped tents are a thing.

There are also different variants / colors.

12 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Is it just me, or is there a tractor to the left of the flag with a blade in front and an excavator bucket in the back? and this is not a set of blocks, but looks like a complete model

37 minutes ago, DuHast_Play said:

Is it just me, or is there a tractor to the left of the flag with a blade in front and an excavator bucket in the back? and this is not a set of blocks, but looks like a complete model

I think it's an excavator, not a tractor... but, yes.

@faatal I would like to know how much performant is a21 vs a20 both on the CPU and GPU side. Could you give us some general data on that?

Right, my specs: I'm currently running a Rotten tomato Pc with a Celery connector and a garlic mouse, coupled with a peanut keyboard and a crank for PSU. The CPU is a chocolate cookie and the GPU not much better than an Nvidia 256 give it or take. My display is a 1x1 piece of cardboard. I hope that helps.

Before I get slandered again, what is up with the lighting? Example:
EUzyPkQWoAUgtRI?format=jpg&name=4096x409
VS:

It seems like the lighting went few steps back? What about SSR, SSAO, SSGI? It might be too much for unity to handle, but i feel like the older alphas were beter color tuned to atleast give the feeling of light passing through many different objects... Either way assets are looking cool!

51 minutes ago, DuHast_Play said:

Of course, I could be wrong, but it’s more suitable for a tractor of this format. The excavator needs to be bigger and the boom angle is too steep.

1.png

Yes, it could be... but since we can't see if it has tracks, we can't know for sure. :) 

1 hour ago, DuHast_Play said:

Of course, I could be wrong, but it’s more suitable for a tractor of this format. The excavator needs to be bigger and the boom angle is too steep.

1.png

Good eyes.  It's a new asset.  It's labeled as a backhoe.

32 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Good eyes.  It's a new asset.  It's labeled as a backhoe.

Thank you) It can be called an excavator and have the form that I gave as an example) I will explain why I stick to this particular option. I noticed what looked like an orange flashing beacon. It is usually placed either on the front of the cab or in the middle of the cab) I do not refuse that this is an excavator, it's just that it is most likely based on a tractor)

6 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

VS:

It seems like the lighting went few steps back? What about SSR, SSAO, SSGI? It might be too much for unity to handle, but i feel like the older alphas were beter color tuned to atleast give the feeling of light passing through many different objects... Either way assets are looking cool!

they keep changing it Lmao!

I kinda feel bad for the devs (and not cuz they still getting paid)

in Alpha 19, the M60 got a Updated model, sound and reload animation
then in Alpha 20 they change it AGAIN! to a More makeshift M60

i terms of Graphics, i think Alpha 16/17 looked pretty good, not AAA but it had a charm about it. i liked the more Gritty feeling the older alphas gave. but maybe they will change it.

i can't wait for it too come to console.

On 3/18/2023 at 11:31 PM, Laz Man said:

Don't know exactly when but we are definitely getting closer to A21 experimental.  On the level design side, the majority of legacy POIs have had the major art pass with all of the latest new assets and shapes.  There will definitely be additional smaller passes but many of those shouldn't hold up the release in my opinion.  Hopefully there will be some type of announcement soon TM.

I know the wait has been painful but rest assured that every passing day is another day the game gets even better.  For example, I know bandits are not dropping with A21, but the character art team has been making major progress on them.  The naked cowboy that was teased a while ago was just the tip of the iceberg.  It's exciting thinking about what new gameplay will be added once we get those.  Some of the updated POIs that are included in A21 will already have some bandit "considerations" in their updates.  Keep an eye out for them. 😎

skeletons?

7 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

VS:

It could just the settings who ever took the screen shot on but I see new rock piles in front and truck tyres as well lying in the grass. There is also something in middle of right of the camp that seems to be protected by both razer wire/electric fencing hard to tell pixels to much on my phone. Greyish white a few blocks tall.

New concrete barriers, sandbags, backhoe, something in the doorway of the tent far right hand side, truck, barb wire, shaping up to be a great update

@faatal

Could you explain this to me? One thing I noticed about 7 Days is the fact that turning the graphics down usually doesn't have an impact on performance on high loads such as lots of zombies or uniquely place bocks placed by the player or removed. Matter of fact, my GPU would be more utilized by the game under less stress (less blocks and zombies) which would yield more frames despite the graphical setting I was at. So what I assume is the rendering loop is the same as the game loop for calculations? So the game won't render until its done calculating all the blocks and zombies? Cause it doesn't matter how much I turn down the graphics or how low resolution I make the game. After reaching 40 zombies or destroying and placing lots of blocks. I would get a performance decrease despite the graphics settings being high or low. Or it would be very minimal that it would not make a difference. Also the game seems to do fine with 30 zombies, but anymore zombies give exponentially less performance in frames, and some zombies would not respond to the player as if there is a hard limit. So is all the zombie pathing calculated separately or together? And if all these cases previously shown has something to do with how the game was initially made, how hard would it be to rework how pathing is calculated and how the game loop works. I don't know how your games works fully and I could be wrong, I don't know much about unity or use unity. So take this with salt because the point I'm trying to get is the less hardware your game needs to run, the more people can play it, but that also includes the ability for the game to utilize all of the processing power of the hardware.

Edited by Thug Hunter (see edit history)