Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

5 hours ago, Old Crow said:

2. Containers that change to an "Open" model once looted, will these revert to their "Closed" model after X days when loot respawns normally? Or is that no longer going to be a feature (outside of resetting the chunk/starting a quest)?

A related question ... do they change back to "Closed" if a player puts something into them? I guess that is also asking, do "Open" models still have an inventory into which a player could put something?

My suspicion (I'm guessing) about Old Crow's question is that a POI reset, or a Chunk reload, would be what it takes to respawn the loot and would reset the block to whatever state it is in the POI's files. (Which could be randomized via a "RandomHelper" block.)

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Callum123456789 said:

Asking for pets to tame is beating a dead horse just like what happened with Learn by doing for a while its unlikely this game will ever have that maybe in the next who knows.

No opinion on pets, but LBD absolutely needs to come back to 7 Days.  The perk system has been in a weird and unnatural state for the last few alphas with the way things are categorized and gated.  There's too much rigidity in how the skill trees are structured to where it's really hard to advance skills in multiple trees without inevitably wasting points on less useful perks.

Even if LBD was only applied to physical skills like melee, carry capacity, jumping, etc. - that would make the leveling experience feel much more organic and points could just be used to unlock more of the crafting based perks or efficiencies for that.  

I know we're on the verge of A21's release, so I'll limit my case on this for now but I've had a big bone to pick on the way perks work; to the point where I'm considering learning how to code in C# just to mod a better solution.

54 minutes ago, Falcon197 said:

I know we're on the verge of A21's release, so I'll limit my case on this for now but I've had a big bone to pick on the way perks work; to the point where I'm considering learning how to code in C# just to mod a better solution.

That's your only option, because they have stated repeatedly that LBD is not coming back.

15 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

That's your only option, because they have stated repeatedly that LBD is not coming back.

Well, there's also the option of letting someone else do the work. There are a number of mods that bring back aspects of LBD, both overhauls and standalone, learning C# not required.

38 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

actually... LBD was never taken out of the game! :)

L= Learn

B= By

D= Dying

lots of different ways to achieve LBD. :)

So more dye colors and paint choices are coming!? Or more medical ailments to treat? Or more poi sign puns!? (Dying of laughter...Hee hee)

/s just in case no one pays close attention.

A few things I've noticed so far in streamer weekend.
(1) Dehydration debuff still happens at 75 hydration. You lose 22.5% stamina regen. But no debuff notification shows up. (Same as A20)
(2) Gate at Trader Bob sometimes stays closed when interacting.
(3) Zombie crawling mechanic: still looks like the trigger is sensitive. (eg: dumpster)
(4) No rock formations in forest wilderness (or are super rare)
(5) Bleed bug. (Been told its already a ticket)
(6) Game settings reset to default when starting a new game, every, time.
(7) Getting a crit on first hit with full health. (Thought we were supposed to have crit immunity at full health?)
(8) Looks like there is still 0 frames between a zombie standing and then going into crawl mode. (very cheap and unfair mechanic)
(9) Looks like Aloe Leaves are more expensive than Aloe Cream

Edited by FranticDan (see edit history)

@faatal what’s the expected time for a server to generate a random world in A21. Let’s say a 8k vs 12k world size give or take.

I want to plan how long it will take my machine to generate a world for game night with friends.

I have noticed the server client generates worlds slower than the game client.

Best estimate is fine

Thank You!

Ryzen 3800x 64GB of ram, gen 3 NVME drive.

7 minutes ago, iBane said:

Just a question about the new water mechanics (no jars or cans) - how will we gather water from lakes, rivers, or other water sources?

You don't.  You can drink at the source but that is all.  You have to either find or buy drinks or else use the dew collector to get water.  Some recipes have been adjusted and some loot has been adjusted (like glue) to compensate.

7 minutes ago, Riamus said:

You don't.  You can drink at the source but that is all.  You have to either find or buy drinks or else use the dew collector to get water.  Some recipes have been adjusted and some loot has been adjusted (like glue) to compensate.

Okay thank you.  Not having a mechanic for gathering water from a lake or river does seem strange.   

44 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

@faatal what’s the expected time for a server to generate a random world in A21. Let’s say a 8k vs 12k world size give or take.

I want to plan how long it will take my machine to generate a world for game night with friends.

I have noticed the server client generates worlds slower than the game client.

Best estimate is fine

Thank You!

Ryzen 3800x 64GB of ram, gen 3 NVME drive.

A21 RWG time on an AMD 7950x, 64GB RAM, g4 NVME with default settings is:

4k 0:50.

6k 1:50.
8k 1:56.
10k 4:16.

You will get a fairly big pause at "Smoothing street tiles", but it is still working. Times do vary some with seed.

17 minutes ago, iBane said:

Okay thank you.  Not having a mechanic for gathering water from a lake or river does seem strange.   

They made the change because water was trivial pretty early in the game.

Quality 5 T0 things still being better than Quality 1 T1 items makes the new crafting progression feel really disappointing. I hope that's changed but I doubt it will, has been a problem for a while.

Imagine being excited to finally have enough magazines to unlock the next tier of weapon only for it to be worse

Edited by Doomofman (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

Quality 5 T0 things still being better than Quality 1 T1 items makes the new crafting progression feel really disappointing. I hope that's changed but I doubt it will, has been a problem for a while.

Imagine being excited to finally have enough magazines to unlock the next tier of weapon only for it to be worse

I am pretty sure they said they were removing the overlap.