How many weapons do you carry?

ElCabong

I have my crossbow, SMG, desert eagle, club, bone knife.

I feel like I should cut down and free up the inventory slots being used by ammo. Yet I keep finding myself in situations where one is better than the other. 

Seems like there's too many.

Umm...all of them? :) 

For the day-to-day questing and looting I usually have a pistol, crossbow, shotgun, and machete. Ya got yer stealth ranged, yer cheap ammo ranged, yer OMG-get-out-of-my-face gun, and melee weapon which doubles as a meat carver.

My co-op partner prefers compound bow & TAR or SMG, plus a baseball bat or maybe machete. He doesn't do pistols or shotguns, but he ain't right in the head.

Lately - Bat, TAR, auto-shotgun, machete, ratchet, axe, pickaxe, shovel, stone axe (I always find it useful, especially if I don't want to waste durability on my steel tools. If we had a bare hands slot then I'd probably ditch it) Bandages in the remaining slot. If we had more slots I would probably carry more weapons.

Will ditch TAR or shotty for sniper when I can decide which I prefer right now. It's a tough choice, although I am a little disappointed with the shotty lately. I should probably get rid of the stone axe too, but then I would just carry a silenced pistol too. I could go auger and chainsaw too.

A19 I was pure agility and I think I carried every weapon for every situation. Crossbow was my sniper. Silenced pistol for POI clearing. Silenced DE for high health mob POI clearing. SMG for oh-@%$#s! .44 for trading bonus. Machete because machete. Probably still a bat out of habit.

1 hour ago, ElCabong said:

I feel like I should cut down and free up the inventory slots being used by ammo. Yet I keep finding myself in situations where one is better than the other. 

I guess that depends on what you call a weapon....lol    

at various times on my hotbar, depending on level and what I am working on I will have a axe of some sort, a knife or some sort, typically a sledge hammer but sometimes a club, a shovel all of which I have used for melee if I don't feel like swapping to kill that one or two zombies I am facing at that point in time when I was using said item for something else.     Though it's slow as crap, the shovel makes an excellent decapitator weapon once you get a decent steel one unless you are facing high HP rads.   

I then also typically carry some machine gun variant(AK or TAC, very RARELY an M60), some type of shotty(upgrading as I go) and I tend to also want to have a magnum or Desert Vulture(because I am typically also the trader in our group and the book for barter bonus!)  

I also tend to have some type of bow or cross bow on me UNTIL I can get a silencer AND the book set to remove the silencer damage debuff completed.   I don't spend an inordinate amount of time sneaking, but I will sneak some through a POI to get one shot arrow/bolt kills unless I get fairly deep into the game(generally 50+ levels)

I guess I should also point out I tend to play MP on slightly higher than default difficultly settings(ie, NOT insane/nightmare some people prefer).  I also tend to use melee to solve MOST of my problems outside of animals and overwhelming situations as a feel guns draw too much attention for little to no gain and I am super stingy with my ammo usage.    I don't mind it taking me an extra 60 seconds to kill 5 zombies using a sledge hammer vs doing it 15 seconds with loads of noise 30 bullets/6-10 shells.

Along with that, I think for people one default settings or close, it's completely useless to drop points into any weapon skill(especially guns of any type) just to get a slightly faster reload.  

Crossbow or bow, depending on what I can find or make, knife of machete depending on quality, steel axe once I find one, and a pistol or smg with a silencer, again once I find one.   I'll carry one without the silencer, but I'll try my best not to use it until it's semi quiet.

Horde night, everything goes, but don't forget the nailgun with plenty of concrete mix, just in case.

Early-early game: club, knife, 2 spears for animal tracking, bow, stone axe

early game: pipe baton, 2-3 pipe weapons (always shotgun + MG, sometimes rifle), knife, stone axe+shovel

6th-7th day: 1-2 lvl5 iron tools (seems like I, yet again, fall back to using fireaxe as a melee weapon), 2-3 pipe weapons knife

midgame: 3 iron tools, knife, 1-2 guns, wrenching tool

Late game: auger, steel fireaxe, 1-2 T3 guns, nailgun, impact driver  

Depends on my build.  When I am rolling AGI (my personal fave) I often have both crossbow (for explosives) and bow (stealth + combat)   silenced 9mm (moar stealth) Vulure/SMG when the proverbial @%$# hits the fan.  And I almost always carry a knife.

In my current playthrough in PER, I'm rolling with one stack of pipe bombs, my sniper rifle that modded for long range snipes, Lever action for pure cowboy feelgoods, and a back up pump shotty with a duck bill mod just in case of the desire to spray and pray.  And again, a knife.

Hot bar reads like this typically

1.  Frames for nerd poling and reinforcing structures.  Only wood ever.  I don't think I'll ever cross over to fully upgraded frames.

2.  Hammer/Stone Axe/Nail gun.

3.  Axe for chopping down doors

4.  Pick, Ratchet, or Impact Driver (for getting through pesky metal doors or stripping cars and houses)

5. First Aid / Medical Kit

6. Melee Weapon (99% of the time is a knife, even if im not specced into it)

7.  Work horse firearm for the Git' r' done.

8.  Specialized firearm (typically for stealth actions)

9.  Specialized firearm no 2.

0.  Modular slot. *****

* Fists for harvesting

* Molotovs or Pipe Bombs

* Torch or Flashlight in case of visibility issues

* Fully Automatic Weapon when available

* Rocket Launcher when I feel like NFG.

17 hours ago, ElCabong said:

Sledge and an AK. No reason for much more than that. One for close range and one for needing fast damage.

typically - 5 -  melee, melee, tool, range, range, range, tool, tool, first aid, drink

right now  -   (steel)axe, stunner, impact, CC, m60, pump, pick/shovel, knife, FA bandage, coffee

shovel does just fine if surprised while digging, and impact driver is also fine if caught in mid brrr

while wrenching the everything..

I typically do:

Melee (perked), melee (Backup), bow, ranged weapon, oh crap ranged weapon, tool, tool, frames, coffee, first aid

Right now, my survivor is using:

Hunting knife, iron axe (doubles as tool and backup melee), bow, pipe pistol, pipe machine gun, wrench, wood spikes, frames, coffee, and first aid bandages

For weapons, Melee(club), (cross)bow, shotgun(.44 magnum), and auto rifle of some sort for "Oh @%$#e" moments and later on Junk turret. Once I get the Battle axe, I'll usually drop the melee weapon and the axe will do double duty. I'll also replace the bow with a suppressed sniper rifle, which will reduce the need to carry arrows/bolts.

My hotbar is usually set up like this:

1. Pickaxe
  2. Axe
  3. Club (might get replaced by the machete if I feel secure about its damage output and then 10 gets a healing item)
  4. Bow (gets replaced by a silenced version of a firearm when I feel adequately supplied with ammo and then I may solidify shotgun at 5)
  5. Pistol/Shotgun
  6. Assault rifle
  7. Frames/healing item (depending on danger perceived)
  8. Wrench/Ratchet/Impact driver
  9. Shovel
  10. Knife/machete

I never carry more than 2 weapons at a time. I use the knuckles as main weapon and a firearm (with silencer) as secondary when I need to sneak attack or there's a bird. I start with a pistol and when that becomes completely useless, I switch over to the AK. By then I have more ammo than I know what to do with. I also never put any skill points into firearms until later in the game as I find the bonuses really weak, but I try and max out the knuckles because they're the best melee in my opinion once you max it out. Oh, and I never carry more than a half stack of ammo since I rarely need to use it anyway.

The hotbar (and backpack) is way too small to be carrying a bunch of weapons and pointless stuff. I have my 2 weapons, pickaxe, axe, shovel, machete or knife (for collecting only), wrench, empty slot, one better bandage and one first aid kit. The empty slot comes in handy all the time so I always make sure to have one.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

I guess it depends on what you consider a weapon to be. I carry a hunting knife/machete but rarely kill anything with it, its for skinning game. My usual loadout is a stone axe for hitting things I don't want to lose durability on my weapons for, my primary melee, a game rifle and a shotgun or machine gun. The rest is bandages, one of each tool and a stack of wood frames for nerdpoles or quick catwalks.

Usually a melee weapon, an oh-crap mid-range weapon (any swap-and-click-to-stagger option) and a bow for mostly sneak shots. So, three.

My basic toolbar is pretty completely standard by now:

Bow, Melee, Stone Axe, Midranger, Free*, Frames, Water, Bandage, Free*, Free*

* not empty ofc, usually tools, or turrets, or additional weapons.

For hordes, bow gets ditched if I have a replacement, stone axe swapped for a proper repair tool, free slots filled mostly with whatever boomers I can find and then some more weapons. Maybe one slot for a tool I predict needing fast (knife for corpse removal/pick for collapse clearing/something)

Never remove or leave unloaded/in disrepair: Melee, Midranger, Bandage.. so, 2?

It depends on the server I'm playing. I usually carry, in this specifc order:

1- Stone Axe. To clean up trash when I'm looting houses, and to fix blocks

2- Any bow for stealth. Because as I advance in my game stage and skills, hunting with bows becomes more efficient with bows, and saves ammo

3- Any 9mm (Pistol or SMG). I use the pistol at the beginning, and change to SMG as I advance.  SMG helps me in situations where I need to "stop" a crowd of Zed's, killing or delaying them so I can get away

4- Any 7.67 (AK or M60). I prefer M60. Same case as SMG, but more efficient. I sometimes use the SMG with a silencer, which reduces the weapon's efficiency/range. So M60 becomes my "main weapon".

5- Shotgun (automatic, when possible). Basically my last breath if I get cornered in a corner of the wall, due to high efficiency and short range

6- Any Vehicle. Most servers are set to lose your backpack but not your belt if you die. So if I die, the vehicle stays with me

The other spaces on the belt alternate as I need it (tools, basically). I'm currently on a server with mods, with  a  modded "Stone Axe"  to serve as a shovel, axe, and knife. This saves 2 spaces on my belt.

I pretty much always carry all of the tools, which could strictly speaking double as weapons. However the only things I carry specifically to use as weapons are a melee weapon, usually club or sledge, an "oh @%$#!" machine gun, and then the gun I'm perked for which is usually a shotgun.

I usually run agility builds so I go best archery type weapon I can get with a bone knife or hunting knife depending on how far into the game I am.  Machete I don't bother with but I usually only level a toon to the 30s-low 40s before rerolling.  I also carry the best pistol I can find for oh crap moments but it usually collects dust except on horde nights.

I have to agree with what someone said earlier: melee weapon, silent ranged, shtf ranged, and meat harvesting item. I typically run with either the sledge or the club, a bow, a full auto rifle of some sort, and whatever blade I have at the moment. With A20, I have really started to dislike the wooden club so I tend to go sledge now. If I could get the silencer and the SMG in A19, I would drop the bow entirely. It's not a great horde night weapon and with the silencer you could stealthily clear a building without too many zombies waking. All this and dropping the bow freed up inventory slots. In A20 it makes more sense to keep the bow going forward. This might change with higher level SMGs though. No matter what everyone chooses a holy sh*t firearm though for those times when shtf. I prefer the full autos. The SMG is still boss so I absolutely prefer that one. It also frees me up to save the 7.62 rounds for horde night though I've started to rethink that. Since the 9mm in the SMG is as boss as it is, I've been thinking about making that my primary on horde night. Then there's the M60 and horde nights aren't as simple. LOL, too many good choices.