do you eat the dog food and the cat food you loot?

ElCabong

The way this game is designed there is no benefit to saving dog food and cat food because as time goes on your ability to make meals infinitely better only increase. Therefore, I always eat them as soon as I find them. <burp>

14 minutes ago, Roland said:

The way this game is designed there is no benefit to saving dog food and cat food because as time goes on your ability to make meals infinitely better only increase. Therefore, I always eat them as soon as I find them. <burp>

There is a benefit of sorts to saving dog food due to it being an ingredient in the Lernin' 'Lixr.

1 hour ago, ElCabong said:

I have not. Even when I'm starving, I don't. Sometimes I haven't been able to find any meat and went through every can of whatever I looted, boiled all my eggs, but I didn't eat the pet food.

Like with most canned goods in game I usually scarf them as I find them. I don't enjoy rushing end game so the xp gain Elixir that dog food is used for has no draw for me and I'm one of those weirdos who is happy with using the veggie and meat stews for an entire playthrough, Veggie more so than meat due to availability of resources, despite the better stam and healing bonuses from the Gumbo, Tuna & Gravy (one of my irl faves :D ), Spaghet, etc.

Once upon a time there was this moment where text on screen could make me react emotionally .. I kinda miss those days; but +5 food can always fit on my food bar and I don't have the inventory to carry Cat food around. I'm going to have to decide and click something, might as well click "use". Dog food gets carried home if I have the space, it has "Recipes" after all... :)

Just popped in my head because of the convo but I was greatly amused by some streamers who would not in any way, shape or form use the water from toilets. They would not take it and even throw it away. Even when they would be down on water themselves.

We eat any non-recipe food as we forage through POIs. At our current gamestage, though, it's kind of silly because we have like 40 Sham Chowder and another 40 Spaghetti or Chili Dogs or other high-value foods back at base. For just two of us. We could just eat that and still never run out. I always carry 10 Sham Chowder with me, but I'm cracking open Cat Fud cans like caviar. Old habits die hard.

I eat anything in a can that does not have a recipe. I also eat the dog food tho as I've never once felt the desire to make or use the learning elixir. Eating them as I find them saves inventory space. The recipe ones tho I save for when I have the recipes to use them. I always buy all the chili and peas from the vending machines also.

Always saving Dog Food for Learning Elixirs from Day 1, most important canned food for our group and no one ever eats it.. better eat rotting flesh than this gem.

Everything else gives food, so doesn`t matter that much, but usually we don`t eat stuff that can be used more wisely later on. 

As in "gross" factor or correlation to real life doesn`t influence me at all, game is game and if it gives you stats - eat it.

Edited by v3tro (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Hmm a fun night of gaming could involve a “house rule” of

only food that may be consumed is rotten meat, cat or dog food or rotten shamwich.

only drink that may be consumed is from the toilet.

That would indeed give a different feel for a LAN party... :)

On 8/8/2021 at 3:48 PM, ElCabong said:

I have not. Even when I'm starving, I don't. Sometimes I haven't been able to find any meat and went through every can of whatever I looted, boiled all my eggs, but I didn't eat the pet food.

How can you even end up in that situation? I been playing since alpha 9 or 10, and I've not once even gotten close to starving or dehydrating not even when I was new, backl in earlier alpha's u could not boil water at all without a cooking pot, and the forge recipe was loot only. Usually It never drops below 50% and that only happens if I am really involved in something like a build and forget to watch it. Water I keep above 75%, as once it hits 74% you take a 20% stam regen hit (4/tick instead of 5/tick), Its noticable.

Its even weirder how people can have food/water issues with the quest system, since when you start the quest it turns it back to a fresh poi full of loot. I often don't even have food/water issues even on day 1, there are many sources. Traders, Vending machines, Animals, random crops, Dysentery is no longer fatal in the last few alpha's it just takes a while to wear off, if your worried wait till u find a vitamin, pop those then stuff yourself with whatever as it makes u immune to dysentery/infection etc. Which means you could eat those old sham sandwhiches if in a bind. By day 7/14 in Vanilla I usually have stacks of meat just sitting in storage unused, as other food is abundant.

A few buried supply quests on day 1 can also set you up nice food/drink wise, as well as make you some dukes to buy more.

1 hour ago, Comrad-Kruschev said:

Nope! I won't even pick that crap up. I  like to keep it as real as possible because I know I wouldn't eat animal food even if I was in a zombie apocalypse.

So. Did you ever have a time where you did not eat for 2 months? Just asking whether you speak from a postition of authority. 😉

On 8/10/2021 at 11:04 AM, Scyris said:

How can you even end up in that situation? I been playing since alpha 9 or 10, and I've not once even gotten close to starving or dehydrating not even when I was new, backl in earlier alpha's u could not boil water at all without a cooking pot, and the forge recipe was loot only. Usually It never drops below 50% and that only happens if I am really involved in something like a build and forget to watch it. Water I keep above 75%, as once it hits 74% you take a 20% stam regen hit (4/tick instead of 5/tick), Its noticable.

Its even weirder how people can have food/water issues with the quest system, since when you start the quest it turns it back to a fresh poi full of loot. I often don't even have food/water issues even on day 1, there are many sources. Traders, Vending machines, Animals, random crops, Dysentery is no longer fatal in the last few alpha's it just takes a while to wear off, if your worried wait till u find a vitamin, pop those then stuff yourself with whatever as it makes u immune to dysentery/infection etc. Which means you could eat those old sham sandwhiches if in a bind. By day 7/14 in Vanilla I usually have stacks of meat just sitting in storage unused, as other food is abundant.

A few buried supply quests on day 1 can also set you up nice food/drink wise, as well as make you some dukes to buy more.

It's very unlikely for me to get that way now. This was not always the case

I probably thought twice about it at first. As it stands now, eating canned food provides only advantages, other than the opportunity cost of not doing something better with it.  So... down the hatch.

As for the gross out factor, you have to remember that long time players saw a time when they were pulling “human turds” out of toilets and turning them into fertilizer (or worse, for the less practical and more childish/trollish among us).  For me, I’ve about decided that water is so ridiculously plentiful (e.g. you can live off of one water block forever), that toilet water is a waste of time.  Heck, at 100% loot you don’t even have to boil murky water - you find enough of the fresh stuff.

If I ever seriously pursue a more extensive mod, I plan to represent mental/emotional/social health factors as well as physical survival.  This would include qualities like ‘humanity’ or ‘comfort’ that would definitely go down if you eat pet food.  Then it wouldn’t be a no brainer, from a game theory point of view, to just eat it.  The player would actually have to weigh an upside and downside.  I’d also have an iffy version of each canned food (not just the pet food), where there’s a risk of food poisoning.

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

I eat the canned food.

As for toilet water, i am just assuming i am scooping it out of the tank, not the bowl.

I am 100% positive that modern day people in areas hit with natural disasters (such as new orleans and hurricane katrina) have drank water from their toilet tanks.