do you eat the dog food and the cat food you loot?

ElCabong

On 8/8/2021 at 12:48 PM, ElCabong said:

I have not. Even when I'm starving, I don't. Sometimes I haven't been able to find any meat and went through every can of whatever I looted, boiled all my eggs, but I didn't eat the pet food.

"Killing" and "Stealing" is A-OK but I draw the line at eating Pet food or boiling toilet water.... lmao

On 8/12/2021 at 9:15 PM, katarynna said:

I eat the canned food.

As for toilet water, i am just assuming i am scooping it out of the tank, not the bowl.

I am 100% positive that modern day people in areas hit with natural disasters (such as new orleans and hurricane katrina) have drank water from their toilet tanks. 

Actually, given there is a small chance of finding a pistol in the toilet, It makes more sense the pistol would be in the tank and not in the bowl.  of course, there’s always gotta be that one guy who stores his pistol in the bowl but then again if you’re searching a toilet and taking water I would guess the tank is the first place you would look and also seems to be the place where “standing water” is less likely to quickly turn yellow/black with mold vs the bowl. Given the amount of toilets, I would also say you would stop even wanting to look in the bowl after a few attempts. 

if water were less available. Then the “random toilet bowl in a dead strangers house who may have used that toilet and not flushed while they were turning into a zombie” would be a last ditch place to look. But then again there are probably people with this fetish or maybe just inquisitive minded or too intellectual for their own good (“as an artist, I like to catalog the sad reminder of humanities demise by creating this coffee table book of photographs of toilet bowl contents. Why yes, I took them myself!  And here is a shelf of jars of different colored toilet water I collected….printing and binding the book was more difficult than I had imagined…”).

what we need….no: need to demand! Is TFP make separate lootable blocks for both the bowl and the tank. Problem solved? Yes.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 2:48 PM, ElCabong said:

I have not. Even when I'm starving, I don't. Sometimes I haven't been able to find any meat and went through every can of whatever I looted, boiled all my eggs, but I didn't eat the pet food.

Wait, there are people here who don't eat the pet food?  Do you guys drink your glass of water with a pinky raised? 😀

How do you manage eating food without napkins or silverware, that's gross.

On 8/13/2021 at 6:21 PM, Roland said:

But what if you are eating it WITH your pet....

As a side dish?

On 8/15/2021 at 11:00 AM, doughphunghus said:

Actually, given there is a small chance of finding a pistol in the toilet, It makes more sense the pistol would be in the tank and not in the bowl....

I remember back in the day, the toilet pistol was often touted as a shout-out to The Godfather. I like to remind folks, because I am a joyless prick, that the gun in that book/movie was never IN the toilet, but taped to the back of the tank. It should make the sound of ripping duct tape when looted.

2 hours ago, Catdaddy said:

, that the gun in that book/movie was never IN the toilet, but taped to the back of the tank. It should make the sound of ripping duct tape when looted.

Actually, if the toilet were 2 blocks, both loot containers, it could make that ripped sound when you opened it. The “tank” loot container would just need to be in a “helper block” group with low chance to spawn a top tank with a loot table. That block could have the ripping sound attached.  The other “non ripping/gun” tank option would be anything else you might find in a toilet tank, like cat or dog food…. obviously. ;)

I feel we’re just so close to getting this! If only TFP could hear our toilet hopes and dreams!

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

On 8/10/2021 at 12:04 PM, Scyris said:

How can you even end up in that situation? I been playing since alpha 9 or 10, and I've not once even gotten close to starving or dehydrating not even when I was new, backl in earlier alpha's u could not boil water at all without a cooking pot, and the forge recipe was loot only. Usually It never drops below 50% and that only happens if I am really involved in something like a build and forget to watch it. Water I keep above 75%, as once it hits 74% you take a 20% stam regen hit (4/tick instead of 5/tick), Its noticable.

Its even weirder how people can have food/water issues with the quest system, since when you start the quest it turns it back to a fresh poi full of loot. I often don't even have food/water issues even on day 1, there are many sources. Traders, Vending machines, Animals, random crops, Dysentery is no longer fatal in the last few alpha's it just takes a while to wear off, if your worried wait till u find a vitamin, pop those then stuff yourself with whatever as it makes u immune to dysentery/infection etc. Which means you could eat those old sham sandwhiches if in a bind. By day 7/14 in Vanilla I usually have stacks of meat just sitting in storage unused, as other food is abundant.

A few buried supply quests on day 1 can also set you up nice food/drink wise, as well as make you some dukes to buy more.

Play with loot spawn at 33% or less and starvation becomes a possibility.

5 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Play with loot spawn at 33% or less and starvation becomes a possibility.

I'd still argue that it takes WAY TOO LONG to actually die of hunger in this game.  "Starvation" should be a condition that is bad enough to make you have to find food and want to do nothing else until you do.

1 hour ago, Maharin said:

I'd still argue that it takes WAY TOO LONG to actually die of hunger in this game.  "Starvation" should be a condition that is bad enough to make you have to find food and want to do nothing else until you do.

I agree however in our instant gratification world I don't think that would be a welcome feature.

I really like how Valheim handles food.

Different foods do slightly different things. All heal over time and increase stamina & health until time runs out.

Basically there are a few things to keep in mind regarding food in Valheim.

HP increase 

Stamina increase

Heal over time HP & Stamina.

some foods fill your HP bar good but don’t help Stamina other foods do the reverse. All wear off at different rates, can only eat three different foods until you are “full”

I do wish food decayed in both games. Problem is without decay you end up with a ridiculous amount of food in a box by day 3 or 5 or whatever then you never worry about food again and it becomes a dumb stat to maintain.  

Edit: You cannot starve in Valheim, you just lose health (HP) and Stamina enough to make it painful so going a long time without eating is tedious.

Edited by Fanatical_Meat (see edit history)

43 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I agree however in our instant gratification world I don't think that would be a welcome feature.

Like most things in the game there could be an option that allows you to set the significance of food and/or drink in the game.  From "optional" to "do or die", for instance.  And while I think Valheim's system is good for it I don't see that system working in 7DTD without some significant re-balancing.

But, ultimately, I suspect this will have to be another area to be modded to taste, so to speak, since there are so many differing opinions.

Save the dog food for, Grandpa Learning Elixir. 

Cat food should be eaten as a beginners meal, until farms and better food can be made.

Empty cans are for making oil, but I miss when you could use them to boil water without a cooking pot. A few family members taught me how to do this IRL, when I was young. I really miss those days.

1 hour ago, GreenGril76 said:

Save the dog food for, Grandpa Learning Elixir. 

Cat food should be eaten as a beginners meal, until farms and better food can be made.

Empty cans are for making oil, but I miss when you could use them to boil water without a cooking pot. A few family members taught me how to do this IRL, when I was young. I really miss those days.

FYI:  You can boil water in glass jars without a cooking pot.  It just takes longer.

21 minutes ago, GreenGril76 said:

Interesting. 

I have to try that.

Also FYI

If you need a cooking pot and see one of the junk yards, you can easily get one.  They are usually laying on top of the scrap bins on the outside.  You can go in and grab one real quick.

I always do that when I come across one as I am finding my base since they tend to be a guaranteed find.  Other POIs are the same situation (like several of the house POIs) but these are the easiest ones for me to remember and find.