A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

17 hours ago, Roland said:

I just wonder if this is the precursor to a full blown Rebar Gate once the build goes public and the wider audience comes to complain.

If it does....that's my signal to to open a second front and push to get back the wood forms that you'd nail up around the rebar. Immersion: Maximum Level!

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

19 hours ago, Roland said:

I just wonder if this is the precursor to a full blown Rebar Gate once the build goes public and the wider audience comes to complain. Its been awhile since we've had a big gate on the forum. A19 was so....uncontroversial.

I really hope not as from memory, rebar frames had limited shapes when compared to wooden frames anywho...

Should be easy to mod back it as well.  At least a similar functioning block.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

On 9/16/2021 at 9:16 AM, POCKET951 said:

in A19 on 100% exp its 1056 xp from wood to steel  with  concrete giving 240 xp for each version

As of today it is 816 xp from frame to steel.

Upgrade to:

Wood = 96 xp

Cobblestone = 120 xp

Concrete = 240 xp

Steel = 360 xp

I wanted to ask something about water from earlier alpha. I started in A11 so it was back somewhere in that time maybe 11 to 13. I have seen some people asking about if water will ever flow.

If I am not mistaken water did flow one time and to the degree that it could get out of control if not careful. I was playing on a server with a few people and one night I got on and there was just one other player on. After a few minutes when he notice I had joined he asked if I could come help him with something. We had made a community in an area on top of this huge hill and as he wasn't far from my base I headed his way. When I got there I saw what his problem was. There was a litte man made lake near edge of the hilltop and he was expanding it. He ( I assume lol) wen't to close to the edge and the water started flow down the hill. It was happening pretty fast too. The way we attempted to stop it was to place blocks in front of the flowing water blocks and then place blocks on the water all the way up the hill. If you didn't place enough blocks around the front of the flow though it would get away from you and you would have to start from scratch further down. Well it took us forever to stop it and I am pretty sure we laid hundreds of wood frames to finally stop it.

What I would like to know is will anything like that be possible again when water is looked at in future I wonder? So awful as it may have sounded it was fun. I mean we laughed about it even as we were trying to stop it.

Maybe it was removed because of the opportunity to grief a server, I don't know. Am just curious why flowing water was taken out.

8 hours ago, Roland said:

As of today it is 816 xp from frame to steel.

Upgrade to:

Wood = 96 xp

Cobblestone = 120 xp

Concrete = 240 xp

Steel = 360 xp

so they just completely took away the extra 240 extra exp from going to reinforced concrete from concrete, and merged both tiers of wood into one.(which make sense and is kind of a buff to wood crafting )

Thanks for getting back on this, also seems fairly reasonable considering we no longer have to wait for concrete to dry.

I am glad the EXP is still balanced and viable.

Was afraid it would be considerably nerfed but this is more than reasonable

Edited by POCKET951 (see edit history)

44 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

...but without doom and gloom, the forums are dead and the only exciting thing to do is play who's the best sycophant.  And that's boring. 

Yes, the dev diary threads of the previous alphas used to have a couple of hundreds more pages.

Here and now, it's all about bandits lately (which should rather be placed into the not-yet-started A21 dev diary thread)

...oh and of course Matt complaining about his unimplemented fetishes (newsstands and skeletons)

So forums lay low now I agree, maybe partly because of Roland being so diligent shoveling off-topic posts over to the diary discussions thread, but might be mostly because everybody is having a good time with other games now.

There was just nothing new in 7D2D for over half a year.

Sure there were .X updates, but those were about stuff like social media implementation, which a surprisingly large part of humankind (including me) gives a sh** about.

Wait until we get that whole lot of new content A20 seems to bring along,

and the forums will go boom again.

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Disclaimer: I know enough about this subject to be able to do stuff but more than enough to do damage or false conclusions.

I believe I can restrict cores in my 3800x, is a performance increase possible by restricting virtual cores or even physical cores?

As in restrict the cpu to only use four or eight physical cores or is this crazy talk?

What exactly are you saying/asking?

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Disclaimer: I know enough about this subject to be able to do stuff but more than enough to do damage or false conclusions.

I believe I can restrict cores in my 3800x, is a performance increase possible by restricting virtual cores or even physical cores?

As in restrict the cpu to only use four or eight physical cores or is this crazy talk?

Past testing by Naz showed restricted 7D2D to physical cores only improved performance.

2 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Would forcing the game to run on physical cores or select cores inprove

performance as opposed to letting it run on any of the 16 cores when unity only needs a few cores to run.

Yes limiting the game to 4 physical cores does help. 

2 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Edited by Naz (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Naz said:

Yes limiting the game to 4 physical cores does help. 

I normally get "Access Denied" when trying to set process affinity in windows task manager... even though I am the PC admin... any work around that?

EDIT: Nevermind, I've got it.

For the other people that are having this issue:

1. Right click on Taskbar.

2. Click on Task Manager.

3. Search for the process 7dtd.exe

4. Right click on it and click on Properties.

5. Click on Security tab and click on Edit.

6. Then give full permission to the Administrator. (Or your current user account)

Edited by littlegreen (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Honestly this both idea would be bugged as hell. This sound good but it  just can't work good-  1. well bandits can put this in stupid places - like on barber wire , bin etc. 

2.  this can't work good in 7dtd. honestly this sound perfect for minecraft but for 7dtd not . Let say   W- wall  , S - spike

SSSSSSSSSSSSS

SSSSSSSSSSSSS

SSSSSSSSSSSSSs

SSSwWWWSSSSS 

SSSWWWWSSSS

SSSWWWWSSS 

SSSWWWWSSS

SSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SSSSSSSSSSSSS

And something like that could blocked spider zombies from creating web because web would just fall 

Well yeah you could plan around them to a degree, just like you plan around demolishers, vultures, cops, regular zombies etc. But it would add an interesting and dangerous element to base designs and horde nights, and you'd have an extra resource tax for spikes, and have the risk of the zombies taking out your spikes etc. They could also make webs coat spikes too and make them safer to climb over

ATM spider zombie is by far the least unique special zombie and is only annoying because it's mildly harder to hit. The web idea would be pretty neat and create very memorable horde nights where you were standing on a roof shooting away at zombies when suddenly they started swarming up one side or got to an upper floor you weren't expecting them to get to etc

5 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Well yeah you could plan around them to a degree, just like you plan around demolishers, vultures, cops, regular zombies etc. But it would add an interesting and dangerous element to base designs and horde nights, and you'd have an extra resource tax for spikes, and have the risk of the zombies taking out your spikes etc. They could also make webs coat spikes too and make them safer to climb over

ATM spider zombie is by far the least unique special zombie and is only annoying because it's mildly harder to hit. The web idea would be pretty neat and create very memorable horde nights where you were standing on a roof shooting away at zombies when suddenly they started swarming up one side or got to an upper floor you weren't expecting them to get to etc

I like the spider idea a lot.

I do not think the game & unity is up for the challenge.

6 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Traditionally we haven’t been able to pick up solid blocks or most anything but frames.

TFP have already clarified that the new particle board blocks are the new scaffolding tool and can be picked up. For all intents and purposes they are just a reskin of frames (minus being able to shoot/ see through them).

1 hour ago, Khalagar said:

Well this was pretty often when you create big base in the past when zombie just take out only one "road" thought spike. And honestly  this wasn't fun. just annoying -because you could do  4*5*50 spikes and... they go just throught one way. like if they were not zombie but zergs from starcraft. 

Btw- i don't think this can work you know psychic etc. This same like problem with "grapping" zombies like charge or jockey from l4d2. So what i suggest? Gigant zombie similar to gigant boss from resident evil 4, maybe variation on witch from l4d2, zombies with guns similar to s.t.a.l.k.e.r. , riot zombies ( heavy tank), maybe something similiar to fat coop but focused on infection etc. Honestly idk what  kind of setting devs want to keep:  serious( days gone, the last of us for example) or gore ( resident evil series, nza, cod after BO1) or  mad max. Because diffrent setting can have diffrent types of zombie - i can explain on priv if you want know what i mean

28 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

Large than man sized entities and pathing seem to be their white whale, I don't see it happening anytime soon.  I believe that's why they dropped the abonimati...er, behemoth.

shame, i understand that because so big enemy could be problem - but honestly small number of  zombie types suit into 7dtd unfortunatly. No charhe, hunter can be add, nothing controversial etc

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)