Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

5 hours ago, MajorMunchy said:

Question: not sure if answered, but are Pipe weapons considered Tier 0 weapons? 

Yes

Tier 0 - Stone age / primitive / pipe / where blunderbuss used to be

Tier 1 -  Iron age , think Double barrel shotgun, Iron pick etc

Tier 2 - Steel age, think pump shotgun, steel pick etc

Tier 3 - modern age, think auto shotgun, auger, chainsaws etc

So shotgun goes pipe -> double barrel -> pump -> auto for the 4 age span

Edit: Actually, did the bow get updated? Crappy bow -> Wooden Bow -> Compound Bow 

Bow and Crossbow both seem to be missing several stages AFAIK

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)

On 9/18/2021 at 11:53 PM, littlegreen said:

I'm not quite sure that's the case at 3440x1440 ... besides, my CPU activity usually resides in the 70% usage area with browsers, Discord and a few other apps open in the background (streaming in Discord as well)... while playing the game.

The thing is, I get more than decent FPS during normal gameplay, but during horde nights with all the models and textures around the bases we build - especially during night, when light reflections factor in etc, frames very often dip down to below 60 which on a 144hz screen does not feel nice...

It is correct. 1080p is very CPU bound.

Also, maybe DONT run the game on ultra? I use a mix of medium and high settings on an i7-10700K and 2070 Super and get 50+ FPS on horde night, on a 144hz gsync screen (with 32 zombies, and an overhaul mod. Usually sits around 70fps with 12 zombies)

So if it doesn't look nice on your screen, you don't have gsync on. Turn it on.

On 9/19/2021 at 5:21 PM, faatal said:

This is a Unity issue. New gfx tech tends to only be supported by their HDRP (hi def render pipeline), which we don't plan to use because it would be a large time consuming rewrite of our graphics code. Next game we hope to use HDRP.

I play at 4k on a 2070 at around 55 FPS, but use the High preset. 1440p would be 70+ FPS. Ryzen 3900. Your CPU could be the bottleneck.

This reminds me that I need to test 7DTD on my new rig. I was getting about the same FPS as you at 1440p on medium with a 980ti and Ryzen 7 2700X.

Will be interesting to see how the 2080ti and i9-10850K with 5.2/5.1ghz overclock will do. :)

On 9/19/2021 at 11:04 AM, Khalagar said:

With the talks of Bandits using cover, was there any thoughts on bandits building their own cover? Just have them place blocks the same way a player could, but use them as cover. They could have sandbags / fences etc

I'm still waiting for the day when the Spider Zombie gets a re-textured ladder. All it would need is a web look but function exactly like a ladder / climbable fence, and they could focus on just putting them on the sides of player forts to potentially create new pathways into the fort. It could probably be done pretty easily / cheaply too, like not even have any real thought in it, just have spider zombies "spray" out (place) like 4-5 spider webs (ladders) in a cluster on the side of a building every few seconds. After a couple of sprays there would probably be a new pathway built that zombies might start pathing towards or using without needing any fancy dedicated AI for the spider zombies to calculate the best place to put webs

A climbing spider zombie would put the game in a great spot!  I would go so far as letting them climb ceilings too!

Oh yeah, that would be scary!

Webs might be a problem to implement but could be worth it, if it uses the same code for some type of zipline casting for NPC's and players.

But if they don't have it for this game I bet the next one will have that.

10 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Yes

Edit: Actually, did the bow get updated? Crappy bow -> Wooden Bow -> Compound Bow 

Small Stones -> Crappy bow -> wooden bow -> Compound Bow 😁

12 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Yes

I guess Primitive Bow -> Wooden Bow/Iron Crossbow -> Compound Bow -> Compound Crossbow?

Bows and Crossbows are affected by the same perks, aren't they?

Edited by Doomofman (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Doomofman said:

I guess Primitive Bow -> Wooden Bow/Iron Crossbow -> Compound Bow -> Compound Crossbow?

Bows and Crossbows are affected by the same perks, aren't they?

Yeah. Honestly, it feels a bit weird how strength has two perks separating the clubs and sledges into their own niche. Yet, agility doesn't have that.  I feel like agility should have the same thing as strength in separating the bow and crossbow into their own niche as well.

3 minutes ago, Weazelsun said:

Yeah. Honestly, it feels a bit weird how strength has two perks separating the clubs and sledges into their own niche. Yet, agility doesn't have that.  I feel like agility should have the same thing as strength in separating the bow and crossbow into their own niche as well.

Bows and crossbows are generally speaking weaker weapons than just about anything else in the game.

They do less damage and fire a lost slower than any other ranged weapon - and use ammo just as any other weapon (although it's fairly easier to make). Splitting these would make them far less popular than what they already are at the moment. If anything, they need to not only stay under the same hat, but to be made to take advantage of more skills so they can get buffed up a bit.

10 minutes ago, littlegreen said:

Bows and crossbows are generally speaking weaker weapons than just about anything else in the game.

They do less damage and fire a lost slower than any other ranged weapon - and use ammo just as any other weapon (although it's fairly easier to make). Splitting these would make them far less popular than what they already are at the moment. If anything, they need to not only stay under the same hat, but to be made to take advantage of more skills so they can get buffed up a bit.

They have a massive sneak kill multiplier, though. What I dislike is how the compound bow is so much worse than crossbows.

On 9/16/2021 at 1:00 PM, Roland said:

There have been no changes to FOV and none are planned for A20 as far as I have heard.

Taking periodic walks outside after 15 minutes of play does sound annoying but also incredibly more healthy than what I do...

I appreciate the way that TFP looks out for the player base by encouraging us to get up and move our behinds.  My play time would be 5 mins of game play. My motion sickness is really very awful. if I watch someone else play it, it happens as well. I've heard that those curved monitors help.  Still a great game, just might have to limit the playing.  I do adapt a little after long playing cycles, but I have to concentrate really hard and not jump around.

On 9/16/2021 at 1:13 PM, jeromeN7 said:

At least if the FOV console command allowed people to change it past 85, that would be amazing. Given the choice I'd prefer to play at 100 degrees FOV.

I can't stress it enough. It's so important to move your monitor further away from your point of view as you lower your FOV. The other option is to get a smaller monitor.

I'm only playing on something like a 22inch as it is.  Since it happens when I watch other people play (standing or sitting behind them or to the side, I don't think it is distance that will help.  I get motion sick in carwashes. It is pretty ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, n2n1 said:

It would be nice to have a warning when trying to put a block on top of a block that has the <propertyname="StabilitySupport" value="false"/> property.

Something like... changing the color of the setting frame, for example...

It would be nice if it wasn't possible at all. What purpose does it serve to allow us to place the block that will be destroyed?

I did hear @faatal hint at something related stability, but he is keeping his cards close for his dev stream next week (?).

On 9/18/2021 at 12:05 PM, jeromeN7 said:

Yes please, for now I wish they'd at least get exclusive fullscreen working because without that I can't even use any down sampling resolutions without first setting my desktop resolution the desired DSR resolution. Even with TAA, a little bit of down sampling helps reduce blurring.

Exclusive is added. Making a build for final testing now.

1 hour ago, jeromeN7 said:

If only I could thank you and give you a cookie.

I like cookies!

I found that Unity has some problems with exclusive mode and multi monitors and it is even worse with a 2nd monitor in portrait like mine. We already have resolution choice issues and our UI with putting the game window on my 2nd monitor that we should fix someday, so this is just more fun. :(

On 9/21/2021 at 12:57 PM, dcsobral said:

It would be nice if it wasn't possible at all. What purpose does it serve to allow us to place the block that will be destroyed?

I did hear @faatal hint at something related stability, but he is keeping his cards close for his dev stream next week (?).

Because you probably would not know IRL. Maybe think it feels flimsy. Is a skill part of game.

In any event:

a20b164StabilityWillFall.jpg

1 hour ago, crazywildfire said:

Who needs hints or different colors telling you yes or no when you can have more moments like this 😏.

https://www.twitch.tv/thadrius/clip/HyperDepressedSandstormGingerPower-jquAdmU6YaIv9gsT?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time

That's always fun but I'm talking about a different thing. I'm talking about the placement location having no neighbors with vertical/horizontal support. Like on top of a stone, twigs, grass, campfire, hatch... that sort of thing. And with very few exceptions it happens because the location is not the one I intended. YMMV, but I doubt it.

I have no problems at all allowing blocks to be placed that would exceed the SI or support distance.

19 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

That's always fun but I'm talking about a different thing. I'm talking about the placement location having no neighbors with vertical/horizontal support. Like on top of a stone, twigs, grass, campfire, hatch... that sort of thing. And with very few exceptions it happens because the location is not the one I intended. YMMV, but I doubt it.

I have no problems at all allowing blocks to be placed that would exceed the SI or support distance.

That picture covers those cases. Hard to see, but that is me placing a block on top of a plant. It would fall.