Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

Hello @faatal ! I would like to ask a few questions:
1. what are you currently working on? What was the most interesting thing this week? :)
2. do you already know what your developer stream will be about? Can you briefly outline a set of topics?
3. many people ask if the "stone age" will be regulated in the settings? Will there be a switch for the "stone age", as for the "feral sense", so that you can turn it off? Although I like this mechanic, but many people want to speed it up/slow it down/disable it. And Mr. Madmole previously said that such a switch may appear in the menu.

2 hours ago, faatal said:

That picture covers those cases. Hard to see, but that is me placing a block on top of a plant. It would fall.

Are there plans to fix the gaping holes in SI for other blocks?

The main ones that spring to mind are horizontally stacked half-blocks and the resource pile, cement if memory serves, that has a mesh reaching half a block but still supports blocks placed above it?

It's been a bugbear of mine for a while.

1 hour ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

1. what are you currently working on? What was the most interesting thing this week? :)
2. do you already know what your developer stream will be about? Can you briefly outline a set of topics?
3. many people ask if the "stone age" will be regulated in the settings? Will there be a switch for the "stone age", as for the "feral sense", so that you can turn it off? Although I like this mechanic, but many people want to speed it up/slow it down/disable it. And Mr. Madmole previously said that such a switch may appear in the menu.

1 Handling when fullscreen exclusive fails and Unity plays pick some stupid resolution that I don't want.
1b Seeing Justin's tweaked short grass art. Looks awesome.

2 5 programmers covering - drone, modding, DMS, quest, Twitch, Feral Sense, AI ducking, block placement stability, optimizations, gfx options. Maybe vehicle mods.

3 Not heard about that. Not something I would use.

Edited by faatal (see edit history)

1 hour ago, The Gronk said:

The main ones that spring to mind are horizontally stacked half-blocks and the resource pile, cement if memory serves, that has a mesh reaching half a block but still supports blocks placed above it?

It's been a bugbear of mine for a while.

Don't forget plate blocks when stacked horizontally.

1 hour ago, The Gronk said:

Not likely.

Will hatches and doors still downgrade in A20?

Has the max health of vault hatches and doors been reworked to more closely match blocks upgraded to steel, or are they staying the same?

Has glass been redone in A20? The vast majority of glass types and shapes in A19 are completely transparent to the point you wouldn't even know they're there.

30 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Has the max health of vault hatches and doors been reworked to more closely match blocks upgraded to steel, or are they staying the same?

Has glass been redone in A20? The vast majority of glass types and shapes in A19 are completely transparent to the point you wouldn't even know they're there.

And then you have the bulletproof glass, which looks like it was left in a room of children with greasy hands. Lol. 

@faatalDetails, I've recently noticed that crafted topsoil blocks have 200 durability, but world generated topsoil blocks have 250 durability. Will Alpha 20 have topsoil durability parity? And now the ideas are rolling... Will there be a system for topsoil and dirt, that's anything close to how grass and dirt work in Minecraft? It's always annoyed me slightly, that no matter how long topsoil blocks are buried for, they will never turn into dirt blocks.

46 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'd say the glass needs to be more glossy and reflective...

20 minutes ago, jeromeN7 said:

@faatalDetails, I've recently noticed that crafted topsoil blocks have 200 durability, but world generated topsoil blocks have 250 durability. Will Alpha 20 have topsoil durability parity? And now the ideas are rolling... Will there be a system for topsoil and dirt, that's anything close to how grass and dirt work in Minecraft? It's always annoyed me slightly, that no matter how long topsoil blocks are buried for, they will never turn into dirt blocks.

I'd say the glass needs to be more glossy and reflective...

No changes there. Sounds like polish for later.........

3 hours ago, faatal said:

AI ducking

By this, do you mean the ability for zombies to crawl through 1.5-meter holes?

When I first saw it, I was thinking it related to that whole discussion about NPCs using cover. Probably because I still can't get Bert the Turtle out of my head. It would be awesome if it was about that.

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

1 hour ago, khzmusik said:

By this, do you mean the ability for zombies to crawl through 1.5-meter holes?

When I first saw it, I was thinking it related to that whole discussion about NPCs using cover. Probably because I still can't get Bert the Turtle out of my head. It would be awesome if it was about that.

Yes. Zombies ducking down so they don't hit their head and get stuck on blocks.

12 hours ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

3. There already is the XP setting to speed up stone age (can be changed at any time in the game) and the creative mode giveselfxp to skip over it.

Just watched the VOD of the stream. All the stuff they showed looked pretty cool. I did kind of expect that they'd show us the zombies live in the editor or something so that was a little disappointing

12 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Quick question : only head will be "appear" after being cutted or another limbs too? On stream we can see only head after cutting,  arm or leg are just disappearing

They answered that in the Q&A and the answer was "Yes, it just wasn't implemented at the time the video was recorded"

57 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

Just watched the VOD of the stream. All the stuff they showed looked pretty cool. I did kind of expect that they'd show us the zombies live in the editor or something so that was a little disappointing

They answered that in the Q&A and the answer was "Yes, it just wasn't implemented at the time the video was recorded"

Correct, it is work in process tech.  Assuming no issues, it will be a gradual process per zombie going into A21+

One thing about yesterday's stream: that team has had their work displayed on twitter all year long, and by all appearances they have moved on to alpha 21. So on one hand we saw mostly things we had seen already and the other hand they couldn't talk about their current work. On the gripping hand, mandatory Mote in God's Eye reference.

Nice stream. I loved everything in it, and I have some takes on the subject, if the team doesn't mind reading them.

Spoiler

The gore bits from the dismemberment were a bit off (leg stump too big, brain and eyes-tongue too comical, etc). but the feeling will be awesome once polished. It would be cool to have some randomness to it (3 types of squashed brain and not the whole thing like if we were surgeons, some replacing with one eye for one-eyed Zds, some with both, etc). Gore+"jiggling gore" would be awesome.

The Vulture has the feathers too symetrical and well placed, easily solved when animated if some are jiggling parts. It's all about the jiggling. 

The clothing for the soldier Zd moves a bit too much, but that was a tech demo, I believe it will be tunned down a bit like the hip of the Lab girl Zd was for a better feeling.

The textures this time around are waaaay better. Byington shines when tasked with it. A lot of attention to detail. The rest of the team are also amazing at tech+rig+animation stuff. The Disney guy is such a nerd and so good with everything that I won't say anything to feed his ego, lol, BUT yeah, there are things like Arlene's hair (ponytail girl) that are a bit off. Some time ago her hair was perfect, now it's a tiny bit disarranged which is better, but I would put more dirt or blood or detail in it, plus/and/or a jiggling ponytail and some jiggling hairs (they are big lumps, they can be modeled and not treated in alpha-layers) . The guys are obviously in love with the game, like we are, and that shows.

Looking forward to the next stream!

3 hours ago, Doomofman said:

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Correct, it is work in process tech.  Assuming no issues, it will be a gradual process per zombie going into A21+

AWWW CUTE ^^ THX GUYS!!!