Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

Hello! Earlier, Mr. @madmole wrote that construction in the A20 will require fewer clicks, and I support this. But when players paint their buildings, they still use a lot of clicks. Is it possible to make an improved "brush", for example, a spray can with paint or a roller that would paint the blocks that the player is looking at from one click of a button and would not have to press 100500 times on the mouse button? Also interesting is the opinion of @faatal - would it be difficult to do this from a technical point of view? Perhaps this can already be done with mods?
And there is also a request from many players to expand the list of lamps and lighting devices that a player can make. Yes, it can be easily done with mods, but players often want it in the vanilla version of the game. What do you think about it?

52 minutes ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

Hello! Earlier, Mr. @madmole wrote that construction in the A20 will require fewer clicks, and I support this. But when players paint their buildings, they still use a lot of clicks. Is it possible to make an improved "brush", for example, a spray can with paint or a roller that would paint the blocks that the player is looking at from one click of a button and would not have to press 100500 times on the mouse button? Also interesting is the opinion of @faatal - would it be difficult to do this from a technical point of view? Perhaps this can already be done with mods?
And there is also a request from many players to expand the list of lamps and lighting devices that a player can make. Yes, it can be easily done with mods, but players often want it in the vanilla version of the game. What do you think about it?

I have only used paint once or twice over the years but from what I remember there is an option for spraycan or roller that paints larger areas.

On 10/15/2021 at 11:13 AM, Roland said:

It's a team. Everyone does their part and acts in the role that is best for the whole. Might as well ask why an entire soccer team doesn't stand in front of the goal to all help the goalie block shots. Bugs are assigned to the programmers that are intimately familiar with the parts of the game that they have been working on. If your plan could actually work and be effective, rest assured, they would do it.

It comes from the first page of this thread. The source is TFP. Real as real gets. TBH, that is probably just a softening blow to get people used to the idea of Mid-November. The first target was simply an estimate, not a promise.

Dammit @faatal & other pimps.

clickitty, click get punching in bug fixes and code so we can have streamer weekend 10/22/21 to 10/24/21 then experimental release 10/25/21.

**notice how I included the year**

4 hours ago, danielspoa said:

any idea if the game stage boosts from different biomes gonna be moddable/exposed in the xml? appreciate any info regarding this :)

biomes.xml

<biome name="snow" topsoil_block="terrSnow" biomemapcolor="#FFFFFF" lootstage_modifier = "1" lootstage_bonus="20">

Comments in the file:

A20 Biome Loot Modifier and Bonus
Biome Modifier A.K.A lootstage_modifier percentage added to the loot stage calculations
Pine Forest 0
Desert 0.5
Snow 1
Wasteland 1.5

Biome Bonus A.K.A. lootstage_bonus whole number added to the loot stage calculations
Pine Forest 0
Desert 10
Snow 20
Wasteland 30

On 10/16/2021 at 1:55 AM, vergilsparda said:

*Another question for mostly the POI builders to answer, if maybe they haven't (I can't watch the streams because my internet is garbage): how difficult of a learning curve is it, would you say, to build using the new shapes? Is it more or less the same that it is now in a19, just with more shapes, or does it take some getting used to?

Technically it's all the same, just less clumsy because the shapes are organised much better, have more recognisable icons and are available in all materials.

This is what happened in the dev stream:

Rick, Joel and Latham played a few adventures together, full of twitch freezes and POI looting, a bit of base building in the form of precarious squared wood structures and a few pipe weapons with jammy shooting. Overall it was fun, they also showed a few twitch integration features and confirmed that a20 will not be out until a total of 127 bugs get fixed (way later than Halloween, but they didn't give dates at all).

Bugs that appeared in the dev stream (very few actually)

Spoiler

-Water shows yellow on the map

-hitting safes with an axe (and probably other structures) might heal back instead of causing damage on multiplayer. Networking issue.

-Vending machines can show nothing when first opened and force a switch through the vending machine tags to repair the blankness.

-Zds can die standing AND without collision in multiplayer, showing to all of the players.

-Some Zds still lack dismemberment (like the lab girl head) due to the feature being WIP into a waay better one.

@faatal time of day and hour can't be seen when looking at the new shinny sky clouds (bright white) , like those on a sunny day. Was it the stream palette or is that an actual issue?

Hello everyone! Huge thanks to Fun Pimps crew for creating this masterpiece!!! 

I have questions bound to already running servers (not experimental branch). Not sure if anyone already asked and cleared this topic so i am sorry if it popped up again.

I am running Private Nitrado server for my friends and me, Alpha 19.6 (b8), RWG, seed: ZOMBIETIME, size 8192. We have a lot of progress there, more than 500 hours of gameplay. Of course we want to play Alpha 20 release as soon as it comes out.

Is it possible to access full Alpha 20 content on Alpha 19 server that is already running, without losing everything and starting all over from a scratch?

When Alpha 20 content is released, it will only be available on Experimental branch? 

I appreciate any help, thanks in advance!

38 minutes ago, SpaceBound said:

Hello everyone! Huge thanks to Fun Pimps crew for creating this masterpiece!!! 

I have questions bound to already running servers (not experimental branch). Not sure if anyone already asked and cleared this topic so i am sorry if it popped up again.

I am running Private Nitrado server for my friends and me, Alpha 19.6 (b8), RWG, seed: ZOMBIETIME, size 8192. We have a lot of progress there, more than 500 hours of gameplay. Of course we want to play Alpha 20 release as soon as it comes out.

Is it possible to access full Alpha 20 content on Alpha 19 server that is already running, without losing everything and starting all over from a scratch?

When Alpha 20 content is released, it will only be available on Experimental branch? 

I appreciate any help, thanks in advance!

A20 will absolutely require a new game. Saves do not carry over during major updates.

It will first release in Experimental, then once they deem it stable enough for mass release, it goes public.

I have a question, saw on the stream that the dog had the old look. Will the new model be included in the experimental/public at the start?

Another thing, the fog in a sunny day. It was kind of weird. I expect to see the fog in the morning/evening or in a rainy day. 

9 hours ago, Blake_ said:

This is what happened in the dev stream:

Rick, Joel and Latham played a few adventures together, full of twitch freezes and POI looting, a bit of base building in the form of precarious squared wood structures and a few pipe weapons with jammy shooting. Overall it was fun, they also showed a few twitch integration features and confirmed that a20 will not be out until a total of 127 bugs get fixed (way later than Halloween, but they didn't give dates at all).

Bugs that appeared in the dev stream (very few actually)

Hide contents

-Water shows yellow on the map

-hitting safes with an axe (and probably other structures) might heal back instead of causing damage on multiplayer. Networking issue.

-Vending machines can show nothing when first opened and force a switch through the vending machine tags to repair the blankness.

-Zds can die standing AND without collision in multiplayer, showing to all of the players.

-Some Zds still lack dismemberment (like the lab girl head) due to the feature being WIP into a waay better one.

@faatal time of day and hour can't be seen when looking at the new shinny sky clouds (bright white) , like those on a sunny day. Was it the stream palette or is that an actual issue?

The sky is basically the same as a19. You can often see the sun. Probably just the weather combination at that time.

Got two questions for the devs, I apologize if they have been asked but I could not find any information on it.

-Will screamers be able to detect the player at bedrock now? I can run 10 forges, multiple campfires and chem stations with no screamers spawning, or mine at bedrock with the auger without them spawning, even with block damage turned up to x3. Mining 10-20 blocks above bedrock still spawns them as normal it seems, but just not right at bedrock.

-Will demolishers ever be added into POIs late game or just late game blood moon hordes?

Really looking forward to A20 and dumping tons of hours into a new world, the new pipe weapons are just gorgeous.

10 hours ago, Blake_ said:

..time of day and hour can't be seen when looking at the new shinny sky clouds (bright white) , like those on a sunny day. Was it the stream palette or is that an actual issue?

Tbh, it looked cool, right on the spot where we roam around an abandoned small town that have only zeds and us looking for brains or Shams. 

On 10/20/2021 at 9:43 AM, faatal said:

biomes.xml

<biome name="snow" topsoil_block="terrSnow" biomemapcolor="#FFFFFF" lootstage_modifier = "1" lootstage_bonus="20">

Comments in the file:

A20 Biome Loot Modifier and Bonus
Biome Modifier A.K.A lootstage_modifier percentage added to the loot stage calculations
Pine Forest 0
Desert 0.5
Snow 1
Wasteland 1.5

Biome Bonus A.K.A. lootstage_bonus whole number added to the loot stage calculations
Pine Forest 0
Desert 10
Snow 20
Wasteland 30

@faatal Is there going to be something displayed on the HUD when going into the different Biomes that show the modifier, Or will this be all hidden and behind the scenes so to speak?

Archived