Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Not until A21. :) It says so on the first page.

Ya I know... I was hoping for A20, heh. 

They can tell us more of the sets though, if they have them mostly figured out. 

He teased that the plant fiber set was actually viable when maxed out.  More information would be dandy. 

16 minutes ago, pregnable said:

Ya I know... I was hoping for A20, heh. 

They can tell us more of the sets though, if they have them mostly figured out. 

He teased that the plant fiber set was actually viable when maxed out.  More information would be dandy. 

Plant fiber set bonus: Upon taking damage you summon plant fiber minions to fight for you for 10 seconds. 60 second cooldown

Summons a protective plant fiber spirit above your character that increases armor rating by 3

You can now eat plant fibers. Graze for days!

On 3/22/2021 at 6:50 PM, Blake_ said:

Lol, damn. I thought you were just gonna scratch your head against the wall with the main thread optimizations, how wrong I was ! Also It's a good thing they pointed that out, because the version release notes are too big to handle every single time. 

While DX12 is nice, relieving the main thread of mesh baking calculations is HUGE. So that's why you won't exist for a while. Thanks.

Got the baking thread working today and with full baking quality instead of simple/fast. Full was required with how Unity implemented it. Hopefully I won't find any issues in final testing tomorrow and that will get committed.

1 hour ago, faatal said:

Got the baking thread working today and with full baking quality instead of simple/fast. Full was required with how Unity implemented it. Hopefully I won't find any issues in final testing tomorrow and that will get committed.

This is very good news. I'm itching to test those gains on my system. It's difficult to predict to what degree the gains are without testing, but I'll say the improvements will be instantly noticed by everyone as every system is currently bottlenecked on that front. A20 will be the first truly "stable stable build".

@madmole

One word: repair .... NO, two words: repair drone !!!!

How about a late game mod to the drone so it automatically repairs any damaged block in your vicinity with the speed of a nail gun if you have the mats. While you can repair destroyed blocks or help the drone. IMHO not overpowered, you still need to visit every corner of your base and repair substantial damage made by demos etc.

16 hours ago, meganoth said:

@madmole

One word: repair .... NO, two words: repair drone !!!!

How about a late game mod to the drone so it automatically repairs any damaged block in your vicinity with the speed of a nail gun if you have the mats. While you can repair destroyed blocks or help the drone. IMHO not overpowered, you still need to visit every corner of your base and repair substantial damage made by demos etc.

That depends. What is more costly, 1 entity with pathing and AI  or incremental hp calculations/ full heal for many blocks at once (workbench task) ? My experience tells me the drone is more costly than many blocks, but if the base is huge then we might just need a CPU with two cores per faatal to handle the situation.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:47 AM, madmole said:

Pay the price of upgrading from frames to wood to stone to concrete if you aren't confident in what you are building. You can always build it in frames then remove the frame and place the concrete block where it was.

That's very unintuitive for endgame. Wasn't the whole point of having those frames to setup the layout, upgrade it while skipping early game steps without manually switching a placeholder block? Rebar frames could stay, I really can't see how their existence is a problem, just have them upgrade into the (new) concrete or cobblestone. 

And I still feel like concrete should be a thing on it's own (cobblestone path), those old metal upgrades from wood always felt gritty and satisfying.

While I agree about the no downgrade to a certain extent, that has always been the logic behind the "reinforced" block types, you're just adding more layers, (wood to metal mostly, and their extra upgrade within their tier) which makes sense and feels rewarding watching them get broken down into what they were (means they served the purpose).

On 3/23/2021 at 3:47 AM, madmole said:

Pay the price of upgrading from frames to wood to stone to concrete if you aren't confident in what you are building. You can always build it in frames then remove the frame and place the concrete block where it was.

or give us the option 2 pick up misplaced blocks for the first 3 seconds.

@madmole

i cant recall discussion about 'things' lying about in the world.

currently some items are represented by a graphic that looks like the item for example an ak 47 when ypu drop it on the ground, and others are that brown bag thing.

these things all despawn after a while.

any reason against them persisting? i think it would be nice to have them on a shelf or table rather than have to put them in a storage container.

of course more graphics for the ones currently with bags would be nice

watched the latter part of the stream yesterday. is there a link anywhere here about this twitch mode? id like to learn more...

On 3/22/2021 at 1:32 PM, madmole said:

Yes, but I think we're buffing the basic concrete to be as strong as the old r concrete.

Probably cobblestone so it has good amount of health and looks better IMO.

I miss scarp Upgrade tier and the window upgrades

now its over simplified

Scrap makes sense in Building in the wasteland and sense metal notes no longer drop raw Iron its easier to get scrap metal. Plus it looks so good (not the first tier that looks like bricks but tier 2 looks SO GOOD)

Same with the windows back in A17 you had to repair windows one board at a time to reinforce it. i used to love using windows as a Barrier and fixing them to the max wood and leaving the scarp. it was cheap and easy and made sense. now its goes from window, Wood all, stone etc

i miss some of the small stuff

Hello to TFP. I just saw the lumberjack on twitter. The model is fantastic, good detail on the overall body, very nice sculpting on the face, good proportions and excellent textures. The model is also well designed to be able to be integrated in all the biomes and the scary factor is high up there too.

BUT, the cap colour is bland, poor and not a colour you want to put on the head of a Zd like that. While both that material (very well achieved by the way) and shape are somehow believable, if you put the cap with the same colour as the beard and you stick it to the head like that, at even a normal distance it looks like the cap belongs to his hair, a very poor and crappy modelled hair at that.

So change the cap colour to a more distinctive one, either light brown or something like a conservative blue or red. It takes less than 10 minutes to do that.

The current model is therefore a 5/10 because that crappy colour choice that looks like an unfinished head sculpture from a distance of more than 5 meters, but it will definitely be a 8/10 with that single cap colour change.

The change of cap colour will also enhance the blood features on the head, which will catapult this model high into my favourite's ranking.

Lumber jack looks great but i agree with captain obvious that the hat should be a different color to the beard otherwise its easily mistaken for poorly modeled hair, particularly from the front where it looks a little like a comb over.

Will we get a bit more variety in the snow biome as far as zeds go? id like to see less lumberjacks and more of the various other zombies if only for variety. Dont get me wrong, i like the lumberjack and appreciate the threat he poses but seeing the same zombie over and over breaks immersion.

Regarding the loot and gamestage progression:

1. Will biomes detect and adjust loot tables accordingly?

2. Can we get a gray gamestage number beside our current gamestage that shows what it has been modified to while in said biome?

3. Will POIs hace realistic loot like not finding stone spears and stone axes in shotgun messiah or working stiff tool crates?

4. Will the canned "food piles" contain more than just water and be SLIGHTLY more realistic? Sightly as in increased food chance and more empty cans. (I just died of hunger because every container had nothing but water over the course of 4 POIs).

5. Can we get wood spikes buffed during the first 7 days since it is considered the "primitive" age? Then debuff them after the first 7 Days has been complete?

15 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Hello to TFP. I just saw the lumberjack on twitter. The model is fantastic, good detail on the overall body, very nice sculpting on the face, good proportions and excellent textures. The model is also well designed to be able to be integrated in all the biomes and the scary factor is high up there too.

BUT, the cap colour is bland, poor and not a colour you want to put on the head of a Zd like that. While both that material (very well achieved by the way) and shape are somehow believable, if you put the cap with the same colour as the beard and you stick it to the head like that, at even a normal distance it looks like the cap belongs to his hair, a very poor and crappy modelled hair at that.

So change the cap colour to a more distinctive one, either light brown or something like a conservative blue or red. It takes less than 10 minutes to do that.

The current model is therefore a 5/10 because that crappy colour choice that looks like an unfinished head sculpture from a distance of more than 5 meters, but it will definitely be a 8/10 with that single cap colour change.

The change of cap colour will also enhance the blood features on the head, which will catapult this model high into my favourite's ranking.

Just got word that the beanie color is going to be changed.

Archived