Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

13 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

@madmole how does feral sense work in regards to stealth? does it shorten up the range? completely negate stealth play?

Stealth still works. Feral sense is basically zombie hearing and seeing x2.5, which is mod-able in xml and may be tweaked before release.

Good afternoon (?) @faatal. I have a bunch of déjà vu questions for you. 

1- Is a20 playable to some extent and/or did you have time to test/play it a bit these past few days for your own purposes ?  Any highlight will be appreciated .

2-What are you working on at the moment ?

3- Do you know what the target/intended features for 19.5 ( that were ported from a20) are ? 

4- Something you can share about interesting stuff from other departments/teams ? Anything will do ( things like new art team stuff info, RWG info, new features,  a new wig for Prime, Roland's last Pi number findings...etc).

5- Can you name a feature that you really want to do (for 7dtd) and you wish you had the time for it , either current alpha or future ones ?

36 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

1- Is a20 playable to some extent and/or did you have time to test/play it a bit these past few days for your own purposes ?  Any highlight will be appreciated .

Very playable. I played it briefly last week to test feral sense. All the normal stuff works fine, just some features like the block shape UI update are in flux.

On 13/4/2021 at 19:44, madmole said:

¡Probé el sentido salvaje con zombies corriendo durante el día y fue intenso! En realidad, hay muchos más zombis en el mundo de lo que la gente piensa, venían por mí de todas partes. Tuve que reparar mi club varias veces, había tantos, y realmente tienes que controlar el ritmo de tus batallas. Estaba jugando al muerto está muerto y llegó la noche y estaba en una casa y de repente un turista gordo, un motociclista y Arlene irrumpieron en la puerta de mi baño, así que salí corriendo, corrí alrededor de una bonita piscina luchando contra ellos y simplemente maté a Arlene y entró un lobo la pelea y acabó conmigo a pesar de que lo golpeé dos veces en la cabeza, simplemente no tenía la energía para mantener el ritmo.

Incluso en el trote me recordó más a los muertos vivientes donde huyes y de alguna manera estos zombis lentos siguen llegando. Es una gran característica que creo que le gustará a la gente. Los zombis simplemente no ven ni oyen muy lejos, por lo que se aprovecha de eso y probablemente aprovecha a casi todos los zombis que están ahí fuera para atacarlo. Me recordó a los alfas anteriores donde había más zombis porque era simplemente luchar o correr sin parar.

Sounds beautiful!!!, Is something going to change about the sound? I say because today I´m  three meters from a sleeper and he doesn´t know that I am disarming a car with a lot of noise, or breaking a bed etc. It is quite shocking that we feel it very high and the Z doesn´t even know. 😬

2 hours ago, GoldsharkROU said:

Sounds beautiful!!!, Is something going to change about the sound? I say because today I´m  three meters from a sleeper and he doesn´t know that I am disarming a car with a lot of noise, or breaking a bed etc. It is quite shocking that we feel it very high and the Z doesn´t even know. 😬

By design, sleepers are passive and won't hear sounds until you enter their sleeper volume, because we don't want large sections of a POI being awake and bashing through stuff before you get there. POI designers can group sleeper volumes to help with what you describe, so a debug screenshot using shift+f11 of where you are at would let us see what POI(s) has the issue. We have a ton of POIs, many made before we could group volumes, so there are probably many places where it could be improved.

10 hours ago, bdubyah said:

So what's the current shape of the improved RWG? Any chance it'll be more flexible with bigger POIs? And maybe the min/max limits on POIs in the mixer actually working?

i just hope that option for city selector does mean bigger and more cities.. sometimes i make a new world and hardly find anything good.. (mostly the small ones)

On 4/13/2021 at 5:44 PM, madmole said:

night time came and I was in a house and suddenly a fat tourist and biker and arlene stormed my bathroom door so I bailed

Yessss

I really hope there's some more features to bring back that "new to the game" horror. I still vividly remember the first time I played the game and was holed up in a PoI absolutely TERRIFIED at the sounds of the zombies outside the walls trying to find me as I cooked my meat and light was shining through the windows because I didn't cover them up well enough etc. They of course ripped through the walls while I was crapping my pants and trying to hide on the stairs and break the stairs so they couldn't chase me up. Literally spent every night in that crappy half ripped down PoI crouch walking and hiding in absolute terror

Now days I just go do quests at night  even with running zombies since they just don't seem to aggro or group up in enough numbers to be a major threat even early game. They just don't seem to have anywhere near the aggro radius they used to even when I've got forges and campfires going in what should be open sight

Honestly, I would really like if there was just a feature to make the zombie senses SUPER sharp at night. It would be great if nights were absolutely horrifying and dangerous to go out in.

Gimme dem roaming hordes that spawn in massively increased frequency at night and can sense noise / heatmap / cooking meat from hundreds of blocks away. Mini horde night every night!

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)

The last weekend I started a new world with a friend and used the Nitrogen World Generator and created a only Wasteland Map with a small Snow and Desert Biome. And damn was it horrifying to play. I LOVE IT!!! The wasteland feels like real survival and finally the world isn't epty there. You always need to expect the worst. Walk into a mine or a dog follows you or the damn bears :D

We had so much fun and Now I got a question for the RWG.

Will it be a bit more complex like the nitrogen generator? Like create bigger cities and towns. Cause Vanilla RWG always feels too empty. Also I wish there would be an only Wasteland option cause the forests are too boring for players with 1000+ hours :D

On 4/12/2021 at 2:31 PM, faatal said:

No. Blood moon code specifically targets players, so hear/see does not matter.

Any talk of exposing blood moon feralocityness to xml, maybe via a buff, for expanded possibilities? 

I can think of a bajillion uses, even for vanilla gameplay... 

null reference error at A19.5 The instance of this reference does not exist.

null reference error at Roland.exe The instance of this reference does not exist. Unable to process unknown entity.

null reference error at Roland.exe The instance of this reference does not exist. Unable to process unknown entity.

null reference error at Roland.exe The instance of this reference does not exist. Unable to process unknown entity.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

On 4/19/2021 at 7:29 PM, Guppycur said:

Any talk of exposing blood moon feralocityness to xml, maybe via a buff, for expanded possibilities? 

I can think of a bajillion uses, even for vanilla gameplay... 

What would we expose? If they target you or not? Not would not be very useful, since they would just stay off in the distance.

Edited by faatal (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, faatal said:

What would we expose? If they target you or not? Not would not be very useful, since they would just stay off in the distance.

A blood moon feral buff would/could be used for quests, for specific zeds (hunters), for rage chances, could be turned off for M word stuff; a bajillion different things.  Specific biomes, light conditions, radiation conditions, certain sleepers...

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Thats some quality stuff.

Have you ever considered granting 10% more XP for the kills during night since its more challenging. I think that move would possibly encourage players to stay throughout the Horde Night. Also some reward to be collected at Trader for surviving a Blood Moon by making some kills could be a thing.

Could You add possibly an option for additional Severe Death Punishment in addition to current XP punishment in server options. Some guys on the forum wanted to see some changes and I believe this would be a middle ground for everyone.

On 4/20/2021 at 2:39 PM, meilodasreh said:

@faatal Hello I have taken you as a never-reachable idol, and here are my first humble steps into coding:

If A19.5 is still being released about late April

then a first experimental release is overdue

endif

...am I doing it right? *pokerface*

Any dates are just guesses and talk of releasing anything generally means an experimental with stable following some weeks later.

On 4/20/2021 at 6:12 PM, Blake_ said:

Hi, @faatal, a while ago you talked about how you worked on improving chunk generation. 

Is that change going to be in 19.5 and, regardless of the answer, how much of an improvement is it in terms of performance?

Thanks in advance.

I moved about 2 dozen commits to 19.5. Optimizations to a large system are generally many commits. Some of those commits do have to do with chunks.

Most optimizations have to do with improving minimum FPS and my before and after graphs do show less minimums, but I have no specific numbers.

54 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

A blood moon feral buff would/could be used for quests, for specific zeds (hunters), for rage chances, could be turned off for M word stuff; a bajillion different things.  Specific biomes, light conditions, radiation conditions, certain sleepers...

Except there is no buff to expose, since blood moons don't use buffs for anything. Adding new buffs based on new rules is new code.