Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

40 minutes ago, faatal said:

Except there is no buff to expose, since blood moons don't use buffs for anything. Adding new buffs based on new rules is new code.

I suppose that any code except for a code that is maybe uncommented out, is new code, but then that becomes a philosophical argument of what is new, new to you, new to us, etc...

... At any rate, my question is whether or not you guys have given any consideration to exposing the code for blood moon behavior to XML, particularly via buffs? :)

43 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

It looks rly good  well i  wonder how much it will give light and if it will be craftable

1st and foremost - anything can change but...

currently they are tagged "Creative" for level designers use.

as for craftable, atm they are not player craftable because they are only for level designers. sorry

the amount of light they give off is essentially up to the level designer to set (keeping performance hit in mind), if you look in the editor and check a poi light you can see the min-max settings.

i myself sorta hope we get something close to this in a player craftable fashion.. i like how they look and if i was building a base on long term i would use them.

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

as for craftable, atm they are not player craftable because they are only for level designers. sorry

the amount of light they give off is essentially up to the level designer to set (keeping performance hit in mind), if you look in the editor and check a poi light you can see the min-max settings.

Thx for info , well , did you know if  street light will be only connected with  POI or they will be  on asphalt road too?

15 hours ago, faatal said:

Any dates are just guesses and talk of releasing anything generally means an experimental with stable following some weeks later.

as a pro coder it must be very enjoyable when you can type something totally unspecific without having a console immediately spamming you with error messages, hm?

Roland, your turn again 😄

18 hours ago, Guppycur said:

I suppose that any code except for a code that is maybe uncommented out, is new code, but then that becomes a philosophical argument of what is new, new to you, new to us, etc...

... At any rate, my question is whether or not you guys have given any consideration to exposing the code for blood moon behavior to XML, particularly via buffs? :)

Expose typically means take something that is there and give you access to it. To do what you describe sounds like adding features, which we don't plan on doing for blood moons. Once we go gold and improve mod support, then that could change.

Are there any plans for a20/21 to be able to make the “fog” color of a biome (or the world) modifiable in the xml (either in biomes.xml or weather.xml). Currently You can change the fog color/density via the console, but you can only mod the fog density in the xml.

it would be nice to be able to mod biomes to have green/yellow/orange/red/black fogs.  Right now xml moddable fog is “realistic” white/grey.

9 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

Are there any plans for a20/21 to be able to make the “fog” color of a biome (or the world) modifiable in the xml (either in biomes.xml or weather.xml). Currently You can change the fog color/density via the console, but you can only mod the fog density in the xml.

it would be nice to be able to mod biomes to have green/yellow/orange/red/black fogs.  Right now xml moddable fog is “realistic” white/grey.

No plans.

@faatal, Which do you prefer: Unity or Unreal Engine 4? And if you could influence the choice of the engine for 7 Days To Die, which one would you prefer to work on? And why? Sorry to ask too much, but please give a detailed answer. Thank you in advance.

Congrats on your new record: 41,726  players on Steam (last 24 hours peak). Plus 86% positive reviews... Nice!

Alpha 20 will make it go even higher for sure.

My all time favorite game seems to be extremely popular and liked... Loving it!

On 4/22/2021 at 5:45 PM, unholyjoe said:

i myself sorta hope we get something close to this in a player craftable fashion.. i like how they look and if i was building a base on long term i would use them.

I'm partial to the idea of crafting Street lights as long as they are a late game electricity-consuming commodity that takes a lot of resources to build (forged steel, electrical parts, mechanical parts, plastic, headlight and pipes). It's fluff, but it would be nice to enjoy a nice late game base with cool props like that.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

@madmole or @faatal Regarding critical hits, is it possible to edit something in the xml to allow a player character to do critical hits on zombies? Like being able to add in a chance for my player character to cause a broken leg on a zombie. Feels a bit unfair they can give me broken leg but I can't do the same to them. 

You can do the same to them.

Weapon perks and some weapons do cause special effects / debuffs like knockdown, slow, damage over time, cripple or decapitation.

These are the player's critical hits.

Causing the exact same long term effects on zombies is pointless. They will be spawned / despawned as needed for the game to be able to function so we are not tracking a complex one-hour multi-stage buff.

On 4/24/2021 at 10:36 AM, Kirill_226RUS said:

@faatal, Which do you prefer: Unity or Unreal Engine 4? And if you could influence the choice of the engine for 7 Days To Die, which one would you prefer to work on? And why? Sorry to ask too much, but please give a detailed answer. Thank you in advance.

IF they ever switched to the Unreal engine, that would be the last I played of the game. I can't stand the client tethering to the host in co-op that unreal pushes

2 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

*Cowboy joke i can't think of*

New makeshift pistol Looking good. ill uses this at end game! 

Those trees ever gonna get any love? The 2 in front the the Crack A Book sign look....not that good. Are they dead? Snowy? I can't tell.

That said, the rest of it looks great. Like, really great. Hoping this isn't just a cherry picked image and it is a common thing. :)

@madmole Any plans to overhaul land claim block?  7000 durability per 5 small stones is cheating, even if it can only be 1. People abuse it anyway.

You can handle any wandering horde on any difficulty level with any weapon just with 2 wooden frames and 1 land claim block.

Edited by Roland
Added author's later explanation. (see edit history)

1 hour ago, FA_Q2 said:

I did not see the streams so the question may be answered already but what is the news on the new flying turret?  Is that still coming?

I did not see the streams but I can tell you that it is coming and that calling it a flying turret is a bit generous...

On 4/24/2021 at 9:36 AM, Kirill_226RUS said:

I prefer whichever one makes sense for the project I'm working on. 7dtd is on Unity for better or worse. Changing to any other engine would be a huge amount of work and I don't like doing things just because, so there would need to be some serious reasons for such a switch.

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic