Alpha 20 Dev Diary

1 hour ago, hiemfire said:

They could always change the ingot drop to forged Iron instead of forged steel. :D His work on them does look nice though.

Concrete shall give wood when destroyed. Stainless wood. Jen could be the only trader that sells it.

On a more serious note, I'm partial to the street lights exploding in a rain of yellow loot bags on hit. They could also give 5000 Xp when the player looks at them. 

This game needs depth and survival realism and good design and raves.

• Haha 2
  • Knuckle Rub 1
On 4/19/2021 at 7:29 PM, Guppycur said:

Any talk of exposing blood moon feralocityness to xml, maybe via a buff, for expanded possibilities? 

I can think of a bajillion uses, even for vanilla gameplay... 

What would we expose? If they target you or not? Not would not be very useful, since they would just stay off in the distance.

Edited by faatal (see edit history)
2 minutes ago, faatal said:

What would we expose? If they target you or not? Not would not be very useful, since they would just stay off in the distance.

A blood moon feral buff would/could be used for quests, for specific zeds (hunters), for rage chances, could be turned off for M word stuff; a bajillion different things.  Specific biomes, light conditions, radiation conditions, certain sleepers...

• Like 1
  • Have a Cookie 1
3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Thats some quality stuff.

Have you ever considered granting 10% more XP for the kills during night since its more challenging. I think that move would possibly encourage players to stay throughout the Horde Night. Also some reward to be collected at Trader for surviving a Blood Moon by making some kills could be a thing.

Could You add possibly an option for additional Severe Death Punishment in addition to current XP punishment in server options. Some guys on the forum wanted to see some changes and I believe this would be a middle ground for everyone.

On 4/20/2021 at 2:39 PM, meilodasreh said:

@faatal Hello I have taken you as a never-reachable idol, and here are my first humble steps into coding:

If A19.5 is still being released about late April

then a first experimental release is overdue

endif

...am I doing it right? *pokerface*

Any dates are just guesses and talk of releasing anything generally means an experimental with stable following some weeks later.

On 4/20/2021 at 6:12 PM, Blake_ said:

Hi, @faatal, a while ago you talked about how you worked on improving chunk generation. 

Is that change going to be in 19.5 and, regardless of the answer, how much of an improvement is it in terms of performance?

Thanks in advance.

I moved about 2 dozen commits to 19.5. Optimizations to a large system are generally many commits. Some of those commits do have to do with chunks.

Most optimizations have to do with improving minimum FPS and my before and after graphs do show less minimums, but I have no specific numbers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
54 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

A blood moon feral buff would/could be used for quests, for specific zeds (hunters), for rage chances, could be turned off for M word stuff; a bajillion different things.  Specific biomes, light conditions, radiation conditions, certain sleepers...

Except there is no buff to expose, since blood moons don't use buffs for anything. Adding new buffs based on new rules is new code.

40 minutes ago, faatal said:

Except there is no buff to expose, since blood moons don't use buffs for anything. Adding new buffs based on new rules is new code.

I suppose that any code except for a code that is maybe uncommented out, is new code, but then that becomes a philosophical argument of what is new, new to you, new to us, etc...

... At any rate, my question is whether or not you guys have given any consideration to exposing the code for blood moon behavior to XML, particularly via buffs? :)

• Have a Cookie 1

I love the new cookie icon. Now you can mock or praise or give sympathies or just hand over the product of your lovely sweet cooking at the very same time with a single tiny image ! Or not ! Your choice !

I'm sure Krakens eat cookies. Gimme so I can lure it :P.

• Have a Cookie 3
59 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

... At any rate, my question is whether or not you guys have given any consideration to exposing the code for blood moon behavior to XML, particularly via buffs? :)

I'm no programmer, but even I can understand the answer is no... :mod:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I'm no programmer, but even I can understand the answer is no... :mod:

Oh I knew the answer before asking, but you see, this is all part of my master plan to implant ideas, so that one of them thinks its their own and implements it later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1