madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

59 minutes ago, sgr said:

I feel this an exploit for grinding XP. BM event should track kills to make decision when it should end.

its an intended feature not a bug, also its not the bug report forum.

I think the advantages outweight the exploit-risk that is minimal. In later level they keep comming until 4am anyway so all you do is restart a BM after death wich i see no problem in.

But: For Multiplayer Servers there needs to be protection for joining Players.
A Player that logged out during day in his Base, comes back after work joins into a Bloodmoon can easily gets his base wrecked without any fault in it.
There should be some kind of mechanic that only players that are logged in since 3pm on Bloodmoon day, GET a Bloodmoon or something.

On 9/7/2020 at 11:53 AM, Morloc said:

The Compo Pack has an airport, and it's one of the more nasty (and time consuming) places to visit. It's valid as a T5 quest. A lot of work went into it by its author.

There are some department stores, but I don't recall seeing an actual shopping mall (indoor) so we can play Dawn of the Dead.

-Morloc

I do wanna eventually try out some mods. I'm just still enjoying the superior PC version over the console (ps4) version.

So vanilla is still exciting for now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

I do wanna eventually try out some mods. I'm just still enjoying the superior PC version over the console (ps4) version.

So vanilla is still exciting for now.

yes you will enjoy it!

i like the game without mods because thats how the lords wanted us to play!

Now since they showed those bloody screenshots of the gasser. i want to play it but he is not in yet.
*Sad gasser sounds*

One of problems experienced since started playing in a15 is when mining, sometimes can be difficult to determine if you are mining level from your current depth or going deeper when digging a tunnel . This issue occurs because there is no way provide a sense of gravity in a video game as one would in real life. The other way humans determine whether something (2 blocks next to each other in game) is level or  not is by using a reference point such as the horizon or an existing known level floor. When mining a tunnel, there is no horizon. Nor is there usually a reference point of an already level floor when doing a tunnel. So sometimes what happens is, a miner will actual be digging a tunnel thinking the tunnel is level when in reality they are digging each new block 1 deeper. 

Gyrocopter flight would also greatly benefit from horizon indication, again while this may seem artificial..there is no feeling of gravity in game as in real life to indicate to a human if falling/descending(because gravity exerts less pressure  on body) or climbing (because gravity exerts more pressure on body while climbing). Sure many folks flying the gyrocopter have noticed this same issue, sometimes difficult to determine if climbing or descending when in a gradual angle of attack.

Propose a QOL addition: Make the mining helmet provide the ability to provide a small GUI horizon indicator.  This will alleviate the limitations of a video game not being able to provide a feel for gravity for mining and for flying. In addition, the mining helmet is pointless currently since the introduction of armor mods where lights can be placed on every helmet and almost all helmets are better then mining helmet.  This QOL enhancement proposal to the mining helmet will make the mining helmet provide a unique function that no other helms can do, like the mining helmet used to do when the sole helmet providing light service.

Regardless of mining helmet or not helm, the game QOL would be greatly enchancee by providing a small horizon indicator for flying and mining purposes.

As you mentioned mining helmet.

I started a new game today (no mods), day 6 and made one after finding the book. Though, it is not working . When I press & hold F no menu pops up, only the cursor changes, by pressing F nothing happens also. I don`t mind it at that stage, I walk night time as a fairy in the woods, but instead a lantern I use molotov 🤠

Should I bring that to bug report section, does anyone have that problem ? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I can also choose to play the game naked on a towel but, —- actually nevermind because I do, bad example.

Guys/Gals... please stop with the private requests for pics......  I won't single anyone out, but just know there are none available at the moment.  

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Knuckle Rub 1

31 minutes ago, beerfly said:

As you mentioned mining helmet.

I started a new game today (no mods), day 6 and made one after finding the book. Though, it is not working . When I press & hold F no menu pops up, only the cursor changes, by pressing F nothing happens also. I don`t mind it at that stage, I walk night time as a fairy in the woods, but instead a lantern I use molotov 🤠

Should I bring that to bug report section, does anyone have that problem ? 

The mining helmet no longer has its own light when crafted as it now just uses the helmet light mod that works on all helmets. Which has to be made separately and thankfully the same book that granted you the recipe for the mining helmet also gives the helmet light mod recipe. However if you find or buy a mining helmet they always come with a preinstalled helmet light mod that you can remove to add to another better helmet. 

In other words the mining helmet is now completely useless beyond the vanity of wearing it or the off chance that you haven't yet found a better helmet. Aka it is the Internet Explore or Edge of helmets that exists only to enable you to get a better helmet with a light.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Danidas said:

The mining helmet no longer has its own light when crafted as it now just uses the helmet light mod that works on all helmets. Which has to be made separately and thankfully the same book that granted you the recipe for the mining helmet also gives the helmet light mod recipe. However if you find or buy a mining helmet they always come with a preinstalled helmet light mod that you can remove to add to another better helmet. 

In other words the mining helmet is now completely useless beyond the vanity of wearing it or the off chance that you haven't yet found a better helmet. Aka it is the Internet Explore or Edge of helmets that exists only to enable you to get a better helmet with a light.

That is a lot of thanks from me. I have had doubts in my mind that I`ve missed a thing here or there as this detail, well explained, mate. 

Thank you. 

*double click on 7dtd icon* 

Thinking about it some more a better option to improve the Mining Helmet would be to change some of The Art of Mining book bonuses to require wearing it. Similar to how a lot of the other books give a bonus to wearing their clothing or using their gear.

• Like 1

The mining helmet definitely needs some attention or removed from the game. Pretty sure most 7D2D old timers probably want to keep mining helmet in game, but make useful again. As is now, mining helmet really mostly exists as a nostalgia item.

If not a horizon indicator, at least like +2% mining yield and +2% cave in damage reduction for mining helm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darinth said:

Finding a reason that the trader would want people to run around with naught but a shiv... might be difficult.

He could bet with you. If you make it, you get a bonus. If you fail, then he keeps the reward.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fragtzack said:

The mining helmet definitely needs some attention or removed from the game. Pretty sure most 7D2D old timers probably want to keep mining helmet in game, but make useful again. As is now, mining helmet really mostly exists as a nostalgia item.

If not a horizon indicator, at least like +2% mining yield and +2% cave in damage reduction for mining helm.

Aye...I really hope hats and helmets, face and eyewear as well as some of the food items get a good looking into.  Some really odd choices made with some of their buffs. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing a food buff you gotta work for, like for grilled steak and boiled meat as an example, have an added effect for the last rank of master chef make it so the basic foods you can make do more for you as you have gotten more skilled at cooking

4 hours ago, beerfly said:

as a fairy

Have teeth, need cash.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a food buff you gotta work for, like for grilled steak and boiled meat as an example, have an added effect for the last rank of master chef make it so the basic foods you can make do more for you as you have gotten more skilled at cooking

I'd just like to see the other Attributes get a food buff to match the Sham Chowder's Fortitude buff (along with the other gear being brought into line).  

A poi i would not mind is a different grocery store, a place where you have a chance to loot eggs in the coolers along with meat and stuff, the shamways are neat but more variety is needed, like a competitor, could call it stubbs as a call out to the game stubbs the zombie, Stubs Convenience, and even maybe have open freezers in the isles where we can find canned food and such, just an idea lol

1 hour ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

A poi i would not mind is a different grocery store, a place where you have a chance to loot eggs in the coolers along with meat and stuff, the shamways are neat but more variety is needed, like a competitor, could call it stubbs as a call out to the game stubbs the zombie, Stubs Convenience, and even maybe have open freezers in the isles where we can find canned food and such, just an idea lol

Hows Lathan's Liquor Store?  He already competing against Working Stiffs with his Hardware store...😁

2 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Hows Lathan's Liquor Store?  He already competing against Working Stiffs with his Hardware store...😁

As long as he sells pickled eggs, mega crush and beer we are good, ill take some moonshine too lol

Long time player - first time poster?

I love this game. I've got almost 600 hours on Steam... and I have played almost every build since 16 I think? 

I have 2 suggestions for the current iteration and I'm hoping that this is the right place to put them?

1) When staring down the 8x scope - it would be nice to see the XP if something is killed and I want to scope to another target.

2) The ability to make my default "loot all items" to "loot all I don't have a complete stack of" (which was a GREAT addition by the way)

The uploaded picture is from a Mansion I found - I love the "story" it tells without words... I hope it becomes drive-able one day ☠️☠️☠️ along with the tanks and helos... more great additions!

That is all,

--THAC0

Zombie_Shredder.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ThacZer0 said:

I love this game. I've got almost 600 hours on Steam... and I have played almost every build since 16 I think? 

I have 2 suggestions for the current iteration and I'm hoping that this is the right place to put them?

1) When staring down the 8x scope - it would be nice to see the XP if something is killed and I want to scope to another target.

2) The ability to make my default "loot all items" to "loot all I don't have a complete stack of" (which was a GREAT addition by the way)

The uploaded picture is from a Mansion I found - I love the "story" it tells without words... I hope it becomes drive-able one day ☠️☠️☠️ along with the tanks and helos... more great additions!

That is all,

--THAC0

Zombie_Shredder.png

CompoPack POI right?

On 9/8/2020 at 5:46 PM, madmole said:

I totally agree with this. Min maxing is natural, yet the most unnatural thing to do to your game and is assured to kill the fun after the first time or two. The fun is building a memorable character who HAS character. It is mostly pre RPG people who bought it for survival, zombies etc. The people now coming on board buying it for the RPG factors seem to love what is possible with the perk system and the role playing you can do. I'd call it a light RPG, but just like with building you can build a box to live in or a castle. You can choose not to role play, or do some very creative things with it, that = fun game play.

Styx's whole thing is role playing whether he knows it or not. He still min maxes, but he self imposes some things that make the game fun for him. The same can be done with role playing. Limiting what guns you use, deciding what food you are allergic to and can't eat, maybe you get too hot in heavy armor or it's itchy. Maybe you are claustrophobic, or need to have 4 concrete walls to sleep. Maybe you are a total nomad. Whatever you choose, it helps make each play through unique and fun.

I can fire up Skyrim, after 9 years and 1000's of hours and as long as I role play some new stuff I haven't done 20 times before, it can turn into a lot of fun. Once I start min maxing it though it goes to crap quick then I want to quit or start  new character.

I disagree. I always min max. And I have fun IF the game offers the following:

-No gameplay-blocking choices ( like a door that requires you to have 100 lockpick, or a choice that punishes you by substracting permanent-hard-earned stuff)

Organic quests that you don't feel like "coming back later" to do them, unlike for example, the cute Skyrim's main quest that we usually never do the first time.

Emergent gameplay everywhere and random events on roads ( I'm talking hundreds, no 2 dozen variants like in Skyrim).

Endless or very long lasting scalable item progression and enemy progression that gives gameplay a way to keep up with the player.

If, as a min-maxer  I get plenty of those, then I will enjoy the game playing the "same way" every single time because it won't really be the "same" as the emerging experience is brand new every time .

Skyrim offers some of that. I have my hundreds of hours there.

Mount and Blade series offers some of that.

7dtd offers some of that and the promise of better even though you insist that a short lasting naked pugilist(100 hours) can extent the duration of the game. It really doesn' t as much as your most efficient self just having fun. 

So in the end, a game that doesn' t bore a minmaxer after 500 hours is the higher bar, not the ugly fatarse pink-haired elf that does double wielding with forks.

Roleplaying is short lived adrenaline, cool for streaming and telling somebody how cool X build is compared to a wholesome and rewarding game that favours min-maxers.

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, ThacZer0 said:

That is all,

--THAC0

Zombie_Shredder.png

that is not a vanilla prefab, so you prolly wont get their attention other than to annoy them. and no, I dont recognize it as a CP prefab either.

I'm not sure which packs I have installed, honestly I didn't think I had any - and the screenshot isn't meant to annoy anyone... just a cool Double-Z (Zombie Zamboni :))

8 hours ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

As long as he sells pickled eggs, mega crush and beer we are good, ill take some moonshine too lol

What about fishing bait, food and ammo?