Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

On 9/8/2020 at 4:18 AM, gpcstargate said:

I'm building a new Base and I'm get this Error Message in F1 when I check to see if all loaded OK .. A 19 _ b180

*snip*

This isn't the right thread for bugs and troubleshooting, but I had a similar thing happen on one of my earlier servers. It was Alpha 17 but same symptoms. I could never figure out what caused the simplex error, but it seemed to coincide with a height map error. I think there is a tentative link between height map errors and leveling buildings. I was doing a quest - Clear the Area - and got annoyed that there was one enemy left that I couldn't find.... sooooo I went nuts testing explosives via CM and levelled the entire building. Corrupted that world. Luckily I did this on a separate map. 

Another time we had height data error after leveling our old base using the dev gun from CM. Again, entire world corruption. No one crashed, but the server must have saved the world incorrectly or something, because next time we started up the server it wouldn't load the world, showing the height data error. 

The third time this happened, no one leveled any buildings or used any admin items to my knowledge. The corruption started as just a height map error in one or two chunks this time and didnt kill the whole map. The result was I lost a few IRL day's work on my base and one other player had a similar rollback. It was like those chunks had gone back in time and the rest of the world had continued on. Our theory as to why this happened was either there were too many items for the server to save on exit in those particular chunks (it was my base and that of my partner - the other two players had less playtime therefore way less items and different blocks in their bases nearby)... OR it had something to do with me burying a room full of generators and dumping dirt on top of the entry hatch to hide it. Completely natural room construction and buring by the way - didnt use no clipping or flying mode as I felt that makes it a little unfair to the other players. I Thought I was being sneaky, but no one cared about my generators really haha

On 9/9/2020 at 11:06 PM, Darinth said:

*snip*

With all that said... there are some challenges that could logically be implemented. Wanting to avoid the attention of bandits & raiders could easily be provided as a reason for a 'No Firearms'. Trying to keep a structure intact could easily be provided as a reason for not being allowed to destroy walls. There are some things that could be done to provide some variation to the existing quests. But... I can't think of a reason the trader would be interested in you clearing the area with a shiv.

*snip*

In the upcoming updates they are talking about having bandit NPC's
In your opening story letter from the Duke and the following quest from the Trader, it hints at adding you to their clan.
What if you could join the bandits as a clan instead, and one of their quests to prove your worth is to raid a POI in the nud with just a bone shiv. They wanna make sure you know how to handle yourself and survive before they let you into their posse. The possibilities are endless, just gotta think outside the box ;)

EDIT: as for doing challenges by choice, here's an example situation from my server... I had a friend who was time poor but still wanted to play with myself and my partner. As we were way out ahead of her, it was very hard to decide how much help was fair (she would be participating in a 30 day BM at our base with us) but also not obstructing her learning or experience of the game. So, before I gave her any guns, vehicles or ammo, I gave her a melee weapon of her choice and myself the same weapon and took her through a POI with me. That was wicked fun, as my GS zombies were a challenge with nothing but a spear and a few bits of leather armor. Then once she cleared that, I said ok time to do it without me! She got to keep all of the loot from both POI's and I let her use my vehicle from that point on. Co-op is sometimes really hard to balance, and I understand a little bit how the devs feel about us players making this demand or that!

On 9/10/2020 at 12:39 AM, fragtzack said:

*snip*

Regardless of mining helmet or not helm, the game QOL would be greatly enchancee by providing a small horizon indicator for flying and mining purposes.

Agree with the mining point to an extent. Personally, I use the shape of the material im hitting to figure out where I am going. Also I move the mouse so I'm aiming to the maximum extent of up or down, then slowly bring it to the middle. You can also tell if youre going parallel or not by the angle of the floor as you move. Maybe your textures are too small/quality set too low for you to notice the subtle difference in shape and pattern? Not saying you need to run around at max settings, but trying to understand how you can get so lost that you feel the need to request an additional HUD indicator. 

On the other hand, having a sense of where you are in a mine shaft or tunnel could be a nice immersive addition to the mining perks. I'm all about that immersion. Plus, to be honest.... at later GS's when I'm chugging blackstrap and smashing the ore with an auger, I have enough gas, ammo, and firepower to not give a rats' where I am or where the zombies are and I either space out or watch some dumb YouTube while I go. Its not like you can hear the Zs coming over the sound of the auger anyway (which i agree with), and even if you could, you wouldnt be able to tell how many blocks above/below you they are because we dont have audio occlusion haha but hopefully one day....

The gyro.... I'm not sure I agree with you there... Have you been a passenger on a plane before? IDK about you, but all I get during landing is a vague wooshy feeling in my stomach. I know I'm going down, but I definitely couldnt tell you at what angle or altitude without instruments, and even then I'd have a pretty poor chance of interpreting said instruments correctly. Perhaps a sound would be more realistic? Like the sound of air rushing past getting more intense the steeper the descent? 

EDIT: about the Gyro and its difficulty to master - I think the controls are janky on purpose. The general feel I get is that you're a normal person stuck in the zombie apocalypse so you probably* don't know how to fly a helicopter, or how aircraft are piloted. In future, it would be really cool to see a class selection that lets to dictate what kind of person you were before the apocalypse, then get upgraded abilities and negative traits based on your choice. For example, an airline pilot might get extra technology based stuff, but be not so great at handling rude mother###'ers like Trader Rekt and have to pay more at his store, or something along those lines.

Just a few suggestions to help refine the idea, not trying to @%$# on it <3

On 9/10/2020 at 4:57 AM, Ezed said:

Aye...I really hope hats and helmets, face and eyewear as well as some of the food items get a good looking into.  Some really odd choices made with some of their buffs. 

+ 1 and different bonuses for dyes maybe? Nothing too drastic, because I like being able to wear what I like and not feel like wearing the coat I don't like would be smarter (ahem! yeah I'm one of those players who would pick quality 1 military gear over quality 6 leather because I like the look better lol)

Pink/purple leather duster = pimp coat - +2% bartering hahaha

On 9/10/2020 at 6:16 AM, Roland said:

Have teeth, need cash.

Careful what you wish for.....

TRIGGER WARNING SPOOPY

Spoiler

On 9/10/2020 at 3:03 PM, Blake_ said:

I disagree. I always min max. And I have fun IF the game offers the following:

*snip*

I think we can all agree that everyone enjoys playing games differently. My partner gets enjoyment out of smashing through POI's, consuming content, and absolutely dominating the battle field - all in the most effective manner possible. That's totally fine, but this game does not offer enough diversity to keep him interested for as long as me. Yet. I believe that more diversity in playstyles is something that will inevitably be considered because I'm sure I have heard MM advocating for people to play how they want to and not cookie cutter :) You see, even though my partner likes the game, he's already consumed the content as much as he wants because he min-maxed. So now I play on my own, using the vastly inferior bow for situations that really call for a shotgun while I pretend to be a badass ranger, smelling the roses along the way hehe.

Even though MM seems to have initially sort of shut the "make certain RP styles more rewarding" cry down a little, I still believe he will come around to this thought one day, but it just might not be that high on the list at the moment. There are so many little things in the game so far that hint at further development, or that have huge potential to rival the biggest titles that I understand how our ideas sound demanding or self-important to the devs. They have probably had similar ideas already and put them on the back burner or labeled as "come back to later... maybe..." 

23 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

that is not a vanilla prefab, so you prolly wont get their attention other than to annoy them. and no, I dont recognize it as a CP prefab either.

Is this true? I thought the devs were supportive of mods? They pretty much invite it, I thought? Surely, making suggestions from mods that worked really well is allowed and accepted??

EDIT: OH MY GOD I FOUND THE MULTIQUOTE BUTTON SORRY FOR MY PREVIOUS SPAMMAGE =/

39 minutes ago, sgr said:

I just tested ammo types. Result: HP ammo always cause more damage. To soldiers, demolitions, football zombies too. Can anybody explain this? Zombies has no armor?

i used hp ammo on a soldier zombie. periodically, I would hear a ricochet sound and emptied the clip into him. I knocked him on his ass, but wouldnt die. heard maybe 13 ricochets at that time. swapped to melee to kill him. I think that hp ammo may have a chance to not damage them if they are the "armored" types. but ap ammo ignores it? I am in no way certain of this. but it would account for the sound and sometimes no damage to soldiers using 9mm hp ammo.

3 hours ago, Eko said:

Is this true? I thought the devs were supportive of mods? They pretty much invite it, I thought? Surely, making suggestions from mods that worked really well is allowed and accepted??

EDIT: OH MY GOD I FOUND THE MULTIQUOTE BUTTON SORRY FOR MY PREVIOUS SPAMMAGE =/

only in this channel. is that mostly true. many times MM has gotten.. upset? over discussing mods in here. They do support mods tho, it's why we have the tools and  a whole forum section elsewhere.

24 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

i used hp ammo on a soldier zombie. periodically, I would hear a ricochet sound and emptied the clip into him. I knocked him on his ass, but wouldnt die. heard maybe 13 ricochets at that time.

I was in a cheatmode and i've seen hp bars. There were no ricochets at all, HP bullets dealt the same amount damage each shot.

When i shot Demolition Zombie i heard metal sound aswell, but hpbar showed me that damage was still better than AP 7,62

20 minutes ago, sgr said:

I was in a cheatmode and i've seen hp bars. There were no ricochets at all, HP bullets dealt the same amount damage each shot.

When i shot Demolition Zombie i heard metal sound aswell, but hpbar showed me that damage was still better than AP 7,62

did you have any points in penetrator?

9 hours ago, sgr said:

I just tested ammo types. Result: HP ammo always cause more damage. To soldiers, demolitions, football zombies too. Can anybody explain this? Zombies has no armor?

The balancing of the ammo is off, yes. HP is always superior even with armor ricocheting. There are Zds with armor, like the military one. Until we get proper armored bandits and npcs, the ammo problem isn't that big. As Todd Howard would say: 

"It just works".

35 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

The balancing of the ammo off, yes. HP is always superior even with armor ricocheting. There are Zds with armor, like the military one. Until we get proper armored bandits and npcs, the ammo problem isn't that big. As Todd Howard would say: 

"It just works".

I compared normal ammo and ap ammo aswell. They deal the same amount of damage, both to soldiers and demolition guys (who always make metal impact sound). So my result HP - best no matter what, AP is the waste of powder against single targets (any targets), and only penetration make those not being an absolute crap.

3 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

i used hp ammo on a soldier zombie. periodically, I would hear a ricochet sound and emptied the clip into him. I knocked him on his ass, but wouldnt die. heard maybe 13 ricochets at that time. swapped to melee to kill him. I think that hp ammo may have a chance to not damage them if they are the "armored" types. but ap ammo ignores it? I am in no way certain of this. but it would account for the sound and sometimes no damage to soldiers using 9mm hp ammo.

only in this channel. is that mostly true. many times MM has gotten.. upset? over discussing mods in here. They do support mods tho, it's why we have the tools and  a whole forum section elsewhere.

This issue was reported way before , during experimental- to the TESTERS. The real issue is that they assumed "its a PVP bug""Oh that can wait""We dont play pvp who cares?" : What they failed to realize this bug effects everyone not just PVP players but PVE servers to. This alone goes to show the preference they have in pve over pvp. I'd highly recommend the pimps to add at least one person to their testing team who plays PVP. It so bias the way the testers feel towards pvp.

All Testing done against Steel Armor 13 dmg with + 2 banded armor Total 76 armor value
at 1 blockk range, Difficulty is Survivalist
with level 1 characters with no perks or stats

7.62 AK no mods, base dmg of 55 

Chest
7.62     13dmg
7.62 HP  18dmg
7.62 AP  13dmg

Headshot
7.62     25dmg
7.62 HP  36dmg
7.62 AP  25dmg

TLDR, AP ammo is the same as regular ammo, HP ammo is applying the bonus HP dmg with no penalties due to the issues with armor modifiers on bullets,.

46 minutes ago, Grandpa Minion said:

This issue was reported way before , during experimental- to the TESTERS. The real issue is that they assumed "its a PVP bug""Oh that can wait""We dont play pvp who cares?" : What they failed to realize this bug effects everyone not just PVP players but PVE servers to. This alone goes to show the preference they have in pve over pvp. I'd highly recommend the pimps to add at least one person to their testing team who plays PVP. It so bias the way the testers feel towards pvp.

All Testing done against Steel Armor 13 dmg with + 2 banded armor Total 76 armor value
at 1 blockk range, Difficulty is Survivalist
with level 1 characters with no perks or stats

7.62 AK no mods, base dmg of 55 

Chest
7.62     13dmg
7.62 HP  18dmg
7.62 AP  13dmg

Headshot
7.62     25dmg
7.62 HP  36dmg
7.62 AP  25dmg

TLDR, AP ammo is the same as regular ammo, HP ammo is applying the bonus HP dmg with no penalties due to the issues with armor modifiers on bullets,.

The bug is evident in PvE too. But your conclusion is that TFP needs a PvP tester for this then. Strange logic.

16 minutes ago, meganoth said:

The bug is evident in PvE too. But your conclusion is that TFP needs a PvP tester for this then. Strange logic.

My logic comes from 18800Capturegrandpa.PNG.25f96772e78a0451a4497fc0aa19b4cc.PNG+ hours in this game while witnessing it first hand how the Testers are bias towards anything PVP. Like i told you they push pvp bugs to the bottom of list anytime a pvp player reports it. It also comes from the 1800+ players in our discord most who have thousands of hours playing this game. Not to mention anybody else who plays pvp and has had to deal with the same bias over the years.

9 hours ago, Eko said:

Why I don't think FTS is a viable skill:
Without pumping any points into stealth skills, I feel just as effective with my bow, silenced pistol, and knife, as I do with maxed out stealth skills and the same tools (in POIs). Heck, pop a squat (or don't, there's not much difference) with a shotgun and take a POI with no points in stealth or shotguns and you will be more effective than a bowman with 3 levels in archery and from the shadows. Because the hard-coded wake up sleepers don't care about your stealth, nor do the outside zombies, and the sleepers that are SUPPOSED to wake up don't until you're basically on top of them anyway - at which point the proximity wake up goes off and springs you regardless of stealth. 

I tested out stealth quite a bit after several complaints; from the shadows works rather well. Besides sneaking, without the perk zombies would wake up and hear me shooting silenced weapons, with it, barely heard a thing. Those attack volume sleepers you say break stealth can be negated by, at quite a few points in testing it, simply moving a little bit crouched and they'll lose track of you letting you get that sneak damage again on it. Several times I was sneaking right next to a zombie that charged at me. If you could never wake up attack volume zombies and have it just as good as it is now, from the shadows would be a stupid thing not to take, because you could just crouch-sprint through every poi in the game.

1 hour ago, Grandpa Minion said:

My logic comes from 18800Capturegrandpa.PNG.25f96772e78a0451a4497fc0aa19b4cc.PNG+ hours in this game while witnessing it first hand how the Testers are bias towards anything PVP. Like i told you they push pvp bugs to the bottom of list anytime a pvp player reports it. It also comes from the 1800+ players in our discord most who have thousands of hours playing this game. Not to mention anybody else who plays pvp and has had to deal with the same bias over the years.

The devs have been pretty consistent  with their message that PVP is not their main focus right now but will get to it eventually.  Has nothing to do with tester bias.  To your main concern regarding AP ammo, the issue is already confirmed and hopefully a fix will come soon.  Patience is a virtue.  😁

I feel like we need more block options in the Wood Frame menu. Some are missing, like you need to use a rebar frame or a cobblestone block to craft it, like the wood incline wedge. Its exclusion seems without a good reason to me, probably wouldn't take much company elbow grease to implement all the available shapes into the wood frame block menu, either. 

Okay, for those wondering where the heck to find the bug report portion of the forum there used to be a banner at the top of the page with the link and a visible sub forum in the PC section of the main forum (not currently from what I can see). The people saying "post it to the bugs forum" probably haven't noticed the change. Workaround to get to the bug reports section is here:

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

The devs have been pretty consistent  with their message that PVP is not their main focus right now but will get to it eventually.  Has nothing to do with tester bias.  To your main concern regarding AP ammo, the issue is already confirmed and hopefully a fix will come soon.  Patience is a virtue.  😁

YOU are a virtue ! :violin:

11 hours ago, Eko said:

The devs are very supportive of mods and have designed their game as a platform that encourages it. However, mods are not the official development direction of TFP and this particular thread is for asking questions and receiving answers from the developers regarding the official development of the game. So bringing up mods here is discouraged. The devs have their roadmap planned. They know exactly what they want to put into the game and how they want to go about it. So they really aren't taking suggestions from mods. They support their existence but don't want to field a whole bunch of "Darkness Falls does A, B, C so could you put that in the main game?" type of questions or comments. Their answer is going to be for you to go play Darkness Falls to experience A, B. and C since it is there for you to download. 

Really, at this point in development, they are past the point of taking suggestions at all for new features. They still want feedback regarding balance and pacing and of course bug reports. But for feature suggestions they are going to stick with their own list that they already have and encourage us to mod in features we want that they aren't planning.

50 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Okay, for those wondering where the heck to find the bug report portion of the forum there used to be a banner at the top of the page with the link and a visible sub forum in the PC section of the main forum (not currently from what I can see). The people saying "post it to the bugs forum" probably haven't noticed the change. Workaround to get to the bug reports section is here:

I didn't realize the Bug Report forum is not visible any longer. I see it still but I suppose it must be gone. To my eyes, the banner and the forum were redundant but I will return the banner for ease of reporting since nobody else can see the bug report forum.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived