Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

7 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'm pretty sure TFP said they might want to get rid of all "press E to interact" interactions in the game (for harvesting resources) for consistency's sake, but we'll have to see. But no, press "E" to pick up is never coming back.

*runs out of stamina using the pick I already  had in my hand to harvest my corn*

*Opens inventory just to unequip my pick so I have an empty hand slot and can punch my plants more efficiently*

*Opens inventory to re-equips my pick when done*

*repeats every couple of days*

Yeah can we just get E to pick up =_=

Don't fix what isn't broken, an interact key to harvest your crops is ridiculously simple

1 minute ago, Khalagar said:

*runs out of stamina using the pick I had in my hand already to harvest my corn*

*Opens inventory just to unequip my pick so I have an empty hand slot and can punch my plants more efficiently*

*Opens inventory to re-equips my pick when done*

*repeats every couple of days*

Yeah can we just get E to pick up =_=

Don't fix what isn't broken, an interact key to harvest your crops is ridiculously simple

True, but then new players will be wondering, possibly confused, why they must punch grass but not crops. Consistency. ;)

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

True, but then new players will be wondering, possibly confused, why they must punch grass but not crops. Consistency. ;)

There is also things like harvest bonuses which are built on "hitting" things that probably dont work via the E command.

Literally nobody would have a hard time figuring out that "E to harvest" on plants means press E to harvest lol. I have never, not one time, seen that mentioned as an issue on Ark or any other survival game that all do it *exactly* that way.

Mom come pick me up, I had to press E to pick up a small stone and I'm scared!!

Mom come pick me up i'm scared Blank Template - Imgflip

so what is the point of still having steel tools in the game? with mods being added and stamina being an issue for some players it seems as of late that steel tools are just skipped. I go from iron tools right into auger and have skipped steel tools for awhile now just curious if this is something other players do and if TFP have considered just getting rid of the steel tools altogether?

1 minute ago, Khalagar said:

Literally nobody would have a hard time figuring out that "E to harvest" on plants means press E to harvest lol. I have never, not one time, seen that mentioned as an issue on Ark or any other survival game that all do it *exactly* that way.

Mom come pick me up, I had to press E to pick up a small stone and I'm scared!!

Mom come pick me up i'm scared Blank Template - Imgflip

Oh you'd be surprised. I recently saw a negative review for Terraria on Steam - a flipping wall of text - over someone complaining they couldn't figure out how to place a door, calling the developers lazy and all that for not including a guide on how to place a door. Some people like that exist. 😛

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Oh you'd be surprised. I recently saw a negative review for Terraria on Steam - a flipping wall of text - over someone complaining they couldn't figure out how to place a door, calling the developers lazy and all that for not including a guide on how to place a door. Some people like that exist. 😛

you know!

maybe there's a reason donkeys shouldn't talk!

6 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

I have got the feeling that the hitbox of plants got worse. Trying to harvest from my farm plots in b169 ended in me taking out lots of seeds accidentally. Right now with a new savegame in b173 it is still the same with chrysanthemum flowers. Instead of the flower I keep hitting grass way more often than with A18. Not sure when exactly that got worse but it definitely was better with A18.

Someone else experienced that as well?

YES. I've plucked many a seed because of this. I was hoping this last patch would have gotten that one. Maybe stable... 

43 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'm pretty sure TFP said they might want to get rid of all "press E to interact" interactions in the game (for harvesting resources) for consistency's sake, but we'll have to see. But no, press "E" to pick up is never coming back.

Now they just need to do that to frames 😁

9 hours ago, madmole said:

A20 is either going to be really small and focused or launch next spring/summer. By the time we finish A19 it will be August 15th, that leaves 2.5 months to work on stuff putting us at Nov 1st to content lock and release and be stable by the xmas sale. While it wouldn't be incredibly hard, we have to pick our battles instead of add cool forum idea #5693302 which is also cool dev idea #4349326294. Everything takes 2-3x longer than estimated... so what can we do in 2-3 weeks?

I'm actually working on A21 at the moment, something I know is too ambitious for A20, but I can get all the designs and concepts done.

I would love it if you leave it for next summer. I'd rather have bandits and water and mods and legendary and new quests and entities all in one big 10 month intense dev package than make you waste 2+ months on testing and rebranching . 

You already got people numb due to years of extended beefy updates, I don't think keeping it 10 months long will damage the sales in the slightest if you throw us a screenshot/video per week both in twitter AND Steam.

May I suggest cloning kinyajuu and faatal? maybe yourself? Gazz?

My first horde i got with demolishes! i gota say i like them but they can also be a pain, Thank god for AP rounds!

but when i looked at the model they look odd, on the wiki it says they are Military but they look more like some Crack head put C4 on him and put armor on and said "Im PArT Of A BoMB SqUAd"

should they look more like this?

Spoiler

like this

So you think you need full body armor? Really? | Body armor ...

or this

Standard Bomb Suit, Rs 1550000 /piece C. I. Network Technologies ...

Or this

Juggernaut (Modern Warfare 2) » Pack 3D models

Just a thought

16 hours ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

I think this happens because 75% of 1 is effectively 0. It’s actually a little more complicated than this but you get the gist. Hopefully this is something on TFP’s radar but I view it more as a matter of polishing than a must fix bug. 

I checked the randomness of loot containers a few weeks ago. Was working fine. 75% of 1 means you have a 75% chance to get 1 and a 25% chance to get 0. That also applies to any partial amount. 5 items on 50% loot means 2.5 items, so a 50% chance to get 2 or 3.

21 hours ago, beHypE said:

Does anyone know what the new patch did regarding the 'changed sleeper volumes' ? 

There was this change: "Change "Boss Volume" to "Quest Exclude" on sleeper volumes", which repurposed the boss volume flag we never used to allow designers to exclude volumes from a quests requirements. Like a garage outside a house could have sleepers in it but not be required to fulfill a clear quest.

10 hours ago, nemo888 said:

a game mode where the map changes every 7 days but you keep your gear & workbenches in your truck would be awesome

I would say if you drive off the map edge, the map changes. 

Maybe use google maps and you travel a real world that the game "Apocolypse's up"?

12 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

I have got the feeling that the hitbox of plants got worse. Trying to harvest from my farm plots in b169 ended in me taking out lots of seeds accidentally. Right now with a new savegame in b173 it is still the same with chrysanthemum flowers. Instead of the flower I keep hitting grass way more often than with A18. Not sure when exactly that got worse but it definitely was better with A18.

Someone else experienced that as well?

I've found the best strategy (except for really tall plants e.g. corn) is to stand directly over them and punch down. I never accidentally punch up a seed that way, but have punched up a LOT of seeds this whole alpha otherwise. 

Man I should play broken saves more often, I think I got the whole 64 on day 21, gamestage 60, 611 kills no deaths. Used all my ammo though, 300 pistol rounds, 100 rifle rounds, 70 shotgun rounds, 250 arrows, and 5 mollies. Should have had more Mollies. The working stiffs definitely was not ready for that, the front is swiss cheese, nearly ready to collapse. Last horde night was a fart in the dark compared to this.

About half way though the night I thought it was ending so I jumped down to the wall that surrounds the compound with a sawed off shotgun to finish them off, boy was I wrong. They swarmed and got up on the wall, chased me off it, chased me round the compound a couple times. 5 health left and I realized I left my ladder up, made it to it stamina spent, I don't know how they didn't kill me, and gained just enough to jump to the ladder and finished the rest with the bow.

Next horde nights going to be fun if this was any indication of what to expect.

15 hours ago, FileMachete said:

Just so there's no confusion, I was looking at A18.4's xml for the 9mm Pistol and the 9mm SMG. Not on a19 yet. :)

The vanilla DamageFalloffRange values are fairly short so the 30m vs. 18m was a major part of my choosing to use a semi-auto SMG over the Pistol (plus doesn't hurt that there are no real downsides). I prefer to stay at range and in the larger POIs there are usually areas where you can snipe zeds from far enough away that the Pistol winds up just tapping them on the shoulder saying, "time to wake up". 😄

I checked on a fresh game with creative enabled and i got 2 level 6 of each, and both had same damage.

20 hours ago, beHypE said:

That's subjective. Unless i'm in a bloodmoon horde scenario, a modded pistol has more than a big enough mag size for daily usage. I'd take the higher damage variant almost all the time, fire rate and mag size aren't really important when you're used to clicking heads.

if you are short on ammo then efficiency is the top priority, in which case using a bow is probably the best option anyway. In most situations a pistols damage and rate of fire are plenty unless you are in an open field against a zombie bear and out of stamina.

It is subjective, and i did state it would be a massive upgrade in 'nearly' every situation, the only one where it isnt is when you need to conserve ammo because you are short for a horde night, which in my experience i havent been short for a horde night yet (though im stuck in A16 where you use a bow for everything because you still dont have a gun at level 60)

I still like the idea of every gun having a niche even in late game, even if its just 'efficiency'. We probably need a few more situations where the player feels forced to trade efficiency for throughput outside of horde nights, like 'world bosses' or special encounters. Maybe i just have the difficulty set too low?

11 hours ago, Jay_ombie said:

Blunderbuss ---- Day 6 and now these are turning up in loot A LOT... in most to everything also more than one per loot box (had three in a safe).

They are great for early game and im glad that we are seeing them a lot more in this patch (dont think i ever used them in the past) but we really need some variety.

We could use more gun parts so that we can begin to build some real guns, it would do a lot for loot variety without actually advancing player power too much (in early game stages you will likely only have access to craft whatever perk tree you are dedicating your points to)

Other than that some more 'antique' weapons would be really nice, if for nothing more than diversity. Flintlock pistols and muskets for a start.

Also perking for int early game is great for questing but awful for weapons since there is literally nothing to use in the stone age. I know its going to be awkward making a stone age stun baton, so i thought maybe the burning torch could be retooled into a tier 1 int melee weapon. Low hit damage but it has use in applying bonus effects, and nothing screams stone age scientist quite like the guy that invents fire! for the next tier you could use a flashlight baton (they are a real thing!) with an unreliable 'overcharge' stun effect, then the stun baton can be balanced as the T3 melee weapon it needs to be. 

3 hours ago, frozenoj said:

I've found the best strategy (except for really tall plants e.g. corn) is to stand directly over them and punch down. I never accidentally punch up a seed that way, but have punched up a LOT of seeds this whole alpha otherwise. 

That is exactly what I have found out to work best as well. Standing directly on top of it and punching down. As for tall plants like corn or yucca, I don't have a problem with harvesting them. Even if I miss them I don't run the risk of hitting seeds instead. If I miss them (which happens a lot as well) I simply punch in the air and no harm is done as they are way above seeds on the ground.

On the subject of blunderbuss, I think it is a very useful early game weapon, however, the shot and / or hit animation is bugged sometimes. Battled in Day 7 horde night yesterday with my blunderbuss as main weapon until I realized that I forgot to bring short iron pipes with me for repairing. 100 stone arrows turned out to do the job as well 😜

Archived