madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

On 11/26/2019 at 6:54 PM, bjurney said:

My wife has over 1000 hours in this game, so you aren’t the only female that enjoys it.

My wife and her two girlfriends play as well

12 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

I have got the feeling that the hitbox of plants got worse. Trying to harvest from my farm plots in b169 ended in me taking out lots of seeds accidentally. Right now with a new savegame in b173 it is still the same with chrysanthemum flowers. Instead of the flower I keep hitting grass way more often than with A18. Not sure when exactly that got worse but it definitely was better with A18.

Someone else experienced that as well?

I've found the best strategy (except for really tall plants e.g. corn) is to stand directly over them and punch down. I never accidentally punch up a seed that way, but have punched up a LOT of seeds this whole alpha otherwise. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Man I should play broken saves more often, I think I got the whole 64 on day 21, gamestage 60, 611 kills no deaths. Used all my ammo though, 300 pistol rounds, 100 rifle rounds, 70 shotgun rounds, 250 arrows, and 5 mollies. Should have had more Mollies. The working stiffs definitely was not ready for that, the front is swiss cheese, nearly ready to collapse. Last horde night was a fart in the dark compared to this.

About half way though the night I thought it was ending so I jumped down to the wall that surrounds the compound with a sawed off shotgun to finish them off, boy was I wrong. They swarmed and got up on the wall, chased me off it, chased me round the compound a couple times. 5 health left and I realized I left my ladder up, made it to it stamina spent, I don't know how they didn't kill me, and gained just enough to jump to the ladder and finished the rest with the bow.

Next horde nights going to be fun if this was any indication of what to expect.

Edited by STyK_ (see edit history)

1 hour ago, AriadMyst said:

I play with my husband and I have over 1600 hours in game.

15 hours ago, FileMachete said:

Just so there's no confusion, I was looking at A18.4's xml for the 9mm Pistol and the 9mm SMG. Not on a19 yet. :)

The vanilla DamageFalloffRange values are fairly short so the 30m vs. 18m was a major part of my choosing to use a semi-auto SMG over the Pistol (plus doesn't hurt that there are no real downsides). I prefer to stay at range and in the larger POIs there are usually areas where you can snipe zeds from far enough away that the Pistol winds up just tapping them on the shoulder saying, "time to wake up". 😄

I checked on a fresh game with creative enabled and i got 2 level 6 of each, and both had same damage.

20 hours ago, beHypE said:

That's subjective. Unless i'm in a bloodmoon horde scenario, a modded pistol has more than a big enough mag size for daily usage. I'd take the higher damage variant almost all the time, fire rate and mag size aren't really important when you're used to clicking heads.

if you are short on ammo then efficiency is the top priority, in which case using a bow is probably the best option anyway. In most situations a pistols damage and rate of fire are plenty unless you are in an open field against a zombie bear and out of stamina.

It is subjective, and i did state it would be a massive upgrade in 'nearly' every situation, the only one where it isnt is when you need to conserve ammo because you are short for a horde night, which in my experience i havent been short for a horde night yet (though im stuck in A16 where you use a bow for everything because you still dont have a gun at level 60)

I still like the idea of every gun having a niche even in late game, even if its just 'efficiency'. We probably need a few more situations where the player feels forced to trade efficiency for throughput outside of horde nights, like 'world bosses' or special encounters. Maybe i just have the difficulty set too low?

• Like 1

Hi everyone. Someone told me that Campfire fire damage on zombies is still not working in A19.

Can anyone confirm that please? Thanks!

11 hours ago, Jay_ombie said:

Blunderbuss ---- Day 6 and now these are turning up in loot A LOT... in most to everything also more than one per loot box (had three in a safe).

They are great for early game and im glad that we are seeing them a lot more in this patch (dont think i ever used them in the past) but we really need some variety.

We could use more gun parts so that we can begin to build some real guns, it would do a lot for loot variety without actually advancing player power too much (in early game stages you will likely only have access to craft whatever perk tree you are dedicating your points to)

Other than that some more 'antique' weapons would be really nice, if for nothing more than diversity. Flintlock pistols and muskets for a start.

Also perking for int early game is great for questing but awful for weapons since there is literally nothing to use in the stone age. I know its going to be awkward making a stone age stun baton, so i thought maybe the burning torch could be retooled into a tier 1 int melee weapon. Low hit damage but it has use in applying bonus effects, and nothing screams stone age scientist quite like the guy that invents fire! for the next tier you could use a flashlight baton (they are a real thing!) with an unreliable 'overcharge' stun effect, then the stun baton can be balanced as the T3 melee weapon it needs to be. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frozenoj said:

I've found the best strategy (except for really tall plants e.g. corn) is to stand directly over them and punch down. I never accidentally punch up a seed that way, but have punched up a LOT of seeds this whole alpha otherwise. 

That is exactly what I have found out to work best as well. Standing directly on top of it and punching down. As for tall plants like corn or yucca, I don't have a problem with harvesting them. Even if I miss them I don't run the risk of hitting seeds instead. If I miss them (which happens a lot as well) I simply punch in the air and no harm is done as they are way above seeds on the ground.

On the subject of blunderbuss, I think it is a very useful early game weapon, however, the shot and / or hit animation is bugged sometimes. Battled in Day 7 horde night yesterday with my blunderbuss as main weapon until I realized that I forgot to bring short iron pipes with me for repairing. 100 stone arrows turned out to do the job as well 😜

44 minutes ago, bloodmoth13 said:

making a stone age stun baton

Imagine strapping a piece of cloth to a stick and rubbing it on your shirt before you hit the zombie.

• Haha 3

Hey guys, any of you experiencing massive fps drop in comparison to b169? I am talking about 20 fps in average....I had 45fps on average on b169, after b173 came out I am getting at most average 25fps....

PC specs:

i7-6700HQ

16GB RAM

gtx-960m

game installed on m2 ssd

I play on custom settings which are between low and medium. As I said, I had average fps in b169 somewhere around 45fps, now I cannot get past 30fps

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, AriadMyst said:

Ever have a foursome?

10 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Extreme

Meat

Beating

Syndrome

I plead the 5th.

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Ever have a foursome?

Why be so discriminatory? If you are willing to go that far, it is expected that you invite the entire town over. ;)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Why be so discriminatory? If you are willing to go that far, it is expected that you invite the entire town over. ;)

Forum ya mean lol

On 7/21/2020 at 4:23 PM, Sam_Neill said:

So in a multiplayer world everyone is spawning at the same place ? Or how is spawning handled there ? Would be nice to know if it could rotate. Like if you do a PVP server and have 8 different spawnpoints you want the first 8 players on a different spot each.

Since i did get no answer to that until now:

@faatal oder @madmole or any other developer can answer this ?

2 hours ago, appenius said:

Hey guys, any of you experiencing massive fps drop in comparison to b169? I am talking about 20 fps in average....I had 45fps on average on b169, after b173 came out I am getting at most average 25fps....

PC specs:

i7-6700HQ

16GB RAM

gtx-960m

game installed on m2 ssd

I play on custom settings which are between low and medium. As I said, I had average fps in b169 somewhere around 45fps, now I cannot get past 30fps

I don't want to be the one to belittle your GPU here, but you need an urgent change. Especially if you want to play 7 days well. Those 16gb of ram are in dual chanel? better if so. And I recommend you install it on an ssd drive, other than m.2

On 7/21/2020 at 11:23 AM, Sam_Neill said:

So in a multiplayer world everyone is spawning at the same place ? Or how is spawning handled there ? Would be nice to know if it could rotate. Like if you do a PVP server and have 8 different spawnpoints you want the first 8 players on a different spot each.

Are you still playing 7 days in PvP mode? I can not believe it...

16 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Very much this!

It's seriously a fight to actually harvest crops for some reason. I beat the crap out of my planters, or just punch the air over and over. Almost always have to back through and replant all the seeds I punched up too

Can't we just get an "E to interact" prompt instead

It is the same thing. Don't punch until you see the id tag of "corn" show up then you know you are lined up right with the collider and instead of e to activate you just punch it. I harvest my farm perfectly. You can't press e to activate until you see the floating text, the same is true for punching unless you want to punch something by accident.

15 hours ago, Khalagar said:

*runs out of stamina using the pick I already  had in my hand to harvest my corn*

*Opens inventory just to unequip my pick so I have an empty hand slot and can punch my plants more efficiently*

*Opens inventory to re-equips my pick when done*

*repeats every couple of days*

Yeah can we just get E to pick up =_=

Don't fix what isn't broken, an interact key to harvest your crops is ridiculously simple

Because picking it isn't downgrading it to a sprout. If you want E back you have to plant your crops again. It would take new code to make pressing e downgrade a crop to planted seed. I don't really want to see press e to pickup constantly pop up when running through chrysanthemum fields. We had that before.

Posted (edited)

Oddly I lost the ability to turn on and off the helmet light ??? - anyone else have this issue ?

*Oh I see whats going on, its now turning On / OFF my gun lazer sight instead...*

Can the top programming pimps there please look into the 'stand straight up when shot' animation issue, its really goofy... :p

Also, how many Tier 1 quests do I need to do to proceed to Tier 2 ? -- just feel I done loads yet its not ascending..

Edited by Jay_ombie (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Laz Man said:

There is also things like harvest bonuses which are built on "hitting" things that probably dont work via the E command.

This too.

Posted (edited)

for me its a developed habit, i walk on top of each plant looking down at it and one punch tap movement key and tap to punch.. keep doing it and do not have any issues collecting my veggies and such... but like i said... its a habit i quickly adapted to and it doesnt work for all. i can harvest my 10x10 garden twice as fast as my daughter when she keeps hunting for that perfect spot that tells her its ok to punch. :)

oh and corn and yucca are the exception as i can stand beside them and punch and move to next looking straght ahead without missing.

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Jay_ombie said:

Oddly I lost the ability to turn on and off the helmet light ??? - anyone else have this issue ?

Can the top programming pimps there please look into the 'stand straight up when shot' animation issue, its really goofy... :p

Are you using a weapon with a laser sight on it? If so then the flashlight button will toggle the laser on and off, you need to hold it to toggle the helmet light.

And that would be a nice QoL change to have the helmet light always be priority for hitting the flashlight button.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

so what is the point of still having steel tools in the game? with mods being added and stamina being an issue for some players it seems as of late that steel tools are just skipped. I go from iron tools right into auger and have skipped steel tools for awhile now just curious if this is something other players do and if TFP have considered just getting rid of the steel tools altogether?

No we don't knee jerk over hyperbole. I use my steel tools just fine. Eat some stew and drink some coffee before use, and get the perks if you want to be a big boy. I multi task by doing some crafting when I catch my breath, or upgrade some frames nearby in my mine, but it isn't that bad. Keep an eye on the stamina rating too, that has variety, some steel variants use less stamina than others, 1 less is huge.

Mining with an auger and chainsaw will suck your stamina soul out when we get around to it, enjoy the free pass for now. News flash augers weigh about 60 pounds and take serious muscle to use and chainsaws take a fair bit too, plus the vibrations, so before any realism police come at me get your facts checked.

15 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Oh you'd be surprised. I recently saw a negative review for Terraria on Steam - a flipping wall of text - over someone complaining they couldn't figure out how to place a door, calling the developers lazy and all that for not including a guide on how to place a door. Some people like that exist. 😛

1% of that effort could have solved their problem. That is why I can't stand "natural born belly achers" as my dad used to call them. They complain about everything and take hours doing so, yet a fraction of that effort would solve what they complain about 99% of the time.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, madmole said:

No we don't knee jerk over hyperbole. I use my steel tools just fine. Eat some stew and drink some coffee before use, and get the perks if you want to be a big boy. I multi task by doing some crafting when I catch my breath, or upgrade some frames nearby in my mine, but it isn't that bad. Keep an eye on the stamina rating too, that has variety, some steel variants use less stamina than others, 1 less is huge.

Mining with an auger and chainsaw will suck your stamina soul out when we get around to it, enjoy the free pass for now. News flash augers weigh about 60 pounds and take serious muscle to use and chainsaws take a fair bit too, plus the vibrations, so before any realism police come at me get your facts checked.

With this trade-off it'll be interesting to see if steel tools become as viable, or even more so, than the auger/chainsaw. We've been spoiled for years so I welcome this change. :)

5 minutes ago, madmole said:

1% of that effort could have solved their problem. That is why I can't stand "natural born belly achers" as my dad used to call them. They complain about everything and take hours doing so, yet a fraction of that effort would solve what they complain about 99% of the time.

Well the good news is out of the thousands of Terraria reviews I've read (most make good bathroom reading material I find), this was the exception and not the rule. :) Some people are worth arguing or debating with, other cases are just lost causes and it's better to focus on the positives. :)

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

9 hours ago, frozenoj said:

No, the best strategy is to stare at the plant until you see the id text pop up.