Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Hey guys, any of you experiencing massive fps drop in comparison to b169? I am talking about 20 fps in average....I had 45fps on average on b169, after b173 came out I am getting at most average 25fps....

PC specs:

i7-6700HQ

16GB RAM

gtx-960m

game installed on m2 ssd

I play on custom settings which are between low and medium. As I said, I had average fps in b169 somewhere around 45fps, now I cannot get past 30fps

On 7/21/2020 at 4:23 PM, Sam_Neill said:

So in a multiplayer world everyone is spawning at the same place ? Or how is spawning handled there ? Would be nice to know if it could rotate. Like if you do a PVP server and have 8 different spawnpoints you want the first 8 players on a different spot each.

Since i did get no answer to that until now:

@faatal oder @madmole or any other developer can answer this ?

2 hours ago, appenius said:

Hey guys, any of you experiencing massive fps drop in comparison to b169? I am talking about 20 fps in average....I had 45fps on average on b169, after b173 came out I am getting at most average 25fps....

PC specs:

i7-6700HQ

16GB RAM

gtx-960m

game installed on m2 ssd

I play on custom settings which are between low and medium. As I said, I had average fps in b169 somewhere around 45fps, now I cannot get past 30fps

I don't want to be the one to belittle your GPU here, but you need an urgent change. Especially if you want to play 7 days well. Those 16gb of ram are in dual chanel? better if so. And I recommend you install it on an ssd drive, other than m.2

On 7/21/2020 at 11:23 AM, Sam_Neill said:

So in a multiplayer world everyone is spawning at the same place ? Or how is spawning handled there ? Would be nice to know if it could rotate. Like if you do a PVP server and have 8 different spawnpoints you want the first 8 players on a different spot each.

Are you still playing 7 days in PvP mode? I can not believe it...

16 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Very much this!

It's seriously a fight to actually harvest crops for some reason. I beat the crap out of my planters, or just punch the air over and over. Almost always have to back through and replant all the seeds I punched up too

Can't we just get an "E to interact" prompt instead

It is the same thing. Don't punch until you see the id tag of "corn" show up then you know you are lined up right with the collider and instead of e to activate you just punch it. I harvest my farm perfectly. You can't press e to activate until you see the floating text, the same is true for punching unless you want to punch something by accident.

15 hours ago, Khalagar said:

*runs out of stamina using the pick I already  had in my hand to harvest my corn*

*Opens inventory just to unequip my pick so I have an empty hand slot and can punch my plants more efficiently*

*Opens inventory to re-equips my pick when done*

*repeats every couple of days*

Yeah can we just get E to pick up =_=

Don't fix what isn't broken, an interact key to harvest your crops is ridiculously simple

Because picking it isn't downgrading it to a sprout. If you want E back you have to plant your crops again. It would take new code to make pressing e downgrade a crop to planted seed. I don't really want to see press e to pickup constantly pop up when running through chrysanthemum fields. We had that before.

Oddly I lost the ability to turn on and off the helmet light ??? - anyone else have this issue ?

*Oh I see whats going on, its now turning On / OFF my gun lazer sight instead...*

Can the top programming pimps there please look into the 'stand straight up when shot' animation issue, its really goofy... :p

Also, how many Tier 1 quests do I need to do to proceed to Tier 2 ? -- just feel I done loads yet its not ascending..

for me its a developed habit, i walk on top of each plant looking down at it and one punch tap movement key and tap to punch.. keep doing it and do not have any issues collecting my veggies and such... but like i said... its a habit i quickly adapted to and it doesnt work for all. i can harvest my 10x10 garden twice as fast as my daughter when she keeps hunting for that perfect spot that tells her its ok to punch. :)

oh and corn and yucca are the exception as i can stand beside them and punch and move to next looking straght ahead without missing.

1 minute ago, Jay_ombie said:

Oddly I lost the ability to turn on and off the helmet light ??? - anyone else have this issue ?

Can the top programming pimps there please look into the 'stand straight up when shot' animation issue, its really goofy... :p

Are you using a weapon with a laser sight on it? If so then the flashlight button will toggle the laser on and off, you need to hold it to toggle the helmet light.

And that would be a nice QoL change to have the helmet light always be priority for hitting the flashlight button.

15 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

so what is the point of still having steel tools in the game? with mods being added and stamina being an issue for some players it seems as of late that steel tools are just skipped. I go from iron tools right into auger and have skipped steel tools for awhile now just curious if this is something other players do and if TFP have considered just getting rid of the steel tools altogether?

No we don't knee jerk over hyperbole. I use my steel tools just fine. Eat some stew and drink some coffee before use, and get the perks if you want to be a big boy. I multi task by doing some crafting when I catch my breath, or upgrade some frames nearby in my mine, but it isn't that bad. Keep an eye on the stamina rating too, that has variety, some steel variants use less stamina than others, 1 less is huge.

Mining with an auger and chainsaw will suck your stamina soul out when we get around to it, enjoy the free pass for now. News flash augers weigh about 60 pounds and take serious muscle to use and chainsaws take a fair bit too, plus the vibrations, so before any realism police come at me get your facts checked.

15 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Oh you'd be surprised. I recently saw a negative review for Terraria on Steam - a flipping wall of text - over someone complaining they couldn't figure out how to place a door, calling the developers lazy and all that for not including a guide on how to place a door. Some people like that exist. 😛

1% of that effort could have solved their problem. That is why I can't stand "natural born belly achers" as my dad used to call them. They complain about everything and take hours doing so, yet a fraction of that effort would solve what they complain about 99% of the time.

5 minutes ago, madmole said:

No we don't knee jerk over hyperbole. I use my steel tools just fine. Eat some stew and drink some coffee before use, and get the perks if you want to be a big boy. I multi task by doing some crafting when I catch my breath, or upgrade some frames nearby in my mine, but it isn't that bad. Keep an eye on the stamina rating too, that has variety, some steel variants use less stamina than others, 1 less is huge.

Mining with an auger and chainsaw will suck your stamina soul out when we get around to it, enjoy the free pass for now. News flash augers weigh about 60 pounds and take serious muscle to use and chainsaws take a fair bit too, plus the vibrations, so before any realism police come at me get your facts checked.

With this trade-off it'll be interesting to see if steel tools become as viable, or even more so, than the auger/chainsaw. We've been spoiled for years so I welcome this change. :)

5 minutes ago, madmole said:

1% of that effort could have solved their problem. That is why I can't stand "natural born belly achers" as my dad used to call them. They complain about everything and take hours doing so, yet a fraction of that effort would solve what they complain about 99% of the time.

Well the good news is out of the thousands of Terraria reviews I've read (most make good bathroom reading material I find), this was the exception and not the rule. :) Some people are worth arguing or debating with, other cases are just lost causes and it's better to focus on the positives. :)

9 hours ago, frozenoj said:

I've found the best strategy (except for really tall plants e.g. corn) is to stand directly over them and punch down. I never accidentally punch up a seed that way, but have punched up a LOT of seeds this whole alpha otherwise. 

No, the best strategy is to stare at the plant until you see the id text pop up.

9 minutes ago, madmole said:

This is approved by the realism police. 🤪

8 hours ago, STyK_ said:

Man I should play broken saves more often, I think I got the whole 64 on day 21, gamestage 60, 611 kills no deaths. Used all my ammo though, 300 pistol rounds, 100 rifle rounds, 70 shotgun rounds, 250 arrows, and 5 mollies. Should have had more Mollies. The working stiffs definitely was not ready for that, the front is swiss cheese, nearly ready to collapse. Last horde night was a fart in the dark compared to this.

About half way though the night I thought it was ending so I jumped down to the wall that surrounds the compound with a sawed off shotgun to finish them off, boy was I wrong. They swarmed and got up on the wall, chased me off it, chased me round the compound a couple times. 5 health left and I realized I left my ladder up, made it to it stamina spent, I don't know how they didn't kill me, and gained just enough to jump to the ladder and finished the rest with the bow.

Next horde nights going to be fun if this was any indication of what to expect.

I doubt it is a broken save, it just kind of ramps up eventually and sometimes the zombies are more successful for random reasons. I deviated from my regular horde defense setup and got wrecked twice. I thought I'd save ammo and built a melee kill cage with steel doors, but they broke the front top iron bars off and jumped on that to get to the weaker areas and were getting in behind me, and pretty soon they were everywhere and the whole cage was wrecked. After I died I destroyed my stairs that led to the melee kill cage and fought them like normal, on the ground, using grenades and tons of 9mm ammo. All the clicking is a pain, I need an automatic mod for it lol. After I killed the horde (8 am?) a screamer shows up half way through bag looting, and I go get my magnum because I'm all out of 9mm, and wipe her out. Next thing a leveled wolf horde shows with several dire wolves... I survived, but damn, the crits were stacked on the left side of the screen! It was a very crazy night.

1 hour ago, rubens9311 said:

I don't want to be the one to belittle your GPU here, but you need an urgent change. Especially if you want to play 7 days well. Those 16gb of ram are in dual chanel? better if so. And I recommend you install it on an ssd drive, other than m.2

yes I know the graphics card is really bad, but the point is in b169 I had much better FPS/performance (as I said, on average 20fps better), that's why I was wondering if something has changed or not

43 minutes ago, madmole said:

Don't punch until you see the id tag of "corn" show up then you know you are lined up right with the collider and instead of e to activate you just punch it.

21 minutes ago, madmole said:

No, the best strategy is to stare at the plant until you see the id text pop up.

It used to be like that in A18. Currently that does not work anymore. Despite the text displaying the correct plant I keep hitting other stuff. Maybe I'll add a video clip about that.

49 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

*Oh I see whats going on, its now turning On / OFF my gun lazer sight instead...*

Also, how many Tier 1 quests do I need to do to proceed to Tier 2 ? -- just feel I done loads yet its not ascending..

30 minutes ago, madmole said:

I think they're saying (in a very bad way) that something changed in A19 as far as plant colliders are concerned. I can be standing on an aloe plant, looking at a blueberry bush, the text on the screen SAYS blueberry plant, I punch and I get the aloe plant or the seed. Picking cotton or chrysanthemum in the wild is irritating as well, and a significant percentage of the time, I hit the ground or nearby grass instead of the plant I want to get.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it's something to do with the glancing blow change for fists/knuckles. I haven't tried it with a knife recently but I can give that a whirl next time I have a harvest. Regardless of that though, hops and coffee have ALWAYS been a pain in the @%$*#! when it comes to accidentally picking up the seeds instead of harvesting the next plant in line - partly because the collider seems much larger, but even when you've got the text for the next plant, if you're not standing on top of that plant, you'll have issues.

31 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

@madmole: does anyone from the dev team know the answer to this? Thanks!

:bump2:

You mean Gazz.

13 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

It used to be like that in A18. Currently that does not work anymore. Despite the text displaying the correct plant I keep hitting other stuff. Maybe I'll add a video clip about that.

Are you on a server? I play Sp and it works perfectly.

Archived