Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

30 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I think is been an issue all along. Way too much empty everything, empty airdrops, empty food piles, empty med supplies, ect. I made two previous comments directed at Gazz cause hes the man who handles the loot tables. Also things like college jackets, running shoes, and mega crushes are supposed to be the keys to nightmare speed, I've found 1 mega crush in 32 hours playing and the others don't seem to exist, tires don't exist, and neither do bottles of acid. Pretty much become 100% dependent on the trader and it shouldn't be like that, if you look at the description of the loot abundance option it should just be less in each container, the way it is now it is like only 25% of the containers have anything in them and 75% are empty on 25% loot. I can get by as well but at the same time it is inadequate. 

It is so easy to misjudge statistical events. If the stuff in those 25% of boxes with loot is similar in amount to what people on 100% would find then it is exactly as you want it. Only if the loot in there is reduced as well would there be a bug.

So make a test: For example make a new game, loot 60 kitchen cup boards or trash piles or any other frequent loot box. Restart with 25% loot and do the same. Compare the stuff you found by multiplying the stuff in the second run by 4.

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

It is so easy to misjudge statistical events. If the stuff in those 25% of boxes with loot is similar in amount to what people on 100% would find then it is exactly as you want it. Only if the loot in there is reduced as well would there be a bug.

So make a test: For example make a new game, loot 60 kitchen cup boards or trash piles or any other frequent loot box. Restart with 25% loot and do the same. Compare the stuff you found by multiplying the stuff in the second run by 4.

Seems like something a game tester or QA would do. Honestly the guy won't even grant replies on this topic so whos to say if I actually found an issue anything would be done. I brought up that there are safe zones on top of bridges way back in A16 and nothings been done about it, even brought it up to a tester this alpha.

Edit: its not just cupboards, what is the point of an empty airdrop other then a waste of stamina, same with empty gun safes, food piles with nothing in them why are they even there. It shouldn't even be shown as locked or sealed if it is empty if you want to stay consistent with how the cupboards work or are supposed to work cause even cupboards that show there should be something in them don't have anything in them.

22 minutes ago, beHypE said:

Has anyone faced any issues yet running a b169 game with the b173 update ? My friends and I logged in and had all our stuff and experience, so that's a good sign. I've read it may mess up sleeper volumes, hopefully it's the only thing that might break.

No issues yet, I've hit 3 POIs but I'm waiting for a silencer for my pistol before I go into Bob's Boars.

24 minutes ago, beHypE said:

Has anyone faced any issues yet running a b169 game with the b173 update ? My friends and I logged in and had all our stuff and experience, so that's a good sign. I've read it may mess up sleeper volumes, hopefully it's the only thing that might break.

I continued my game in Navezgane, no issues so far gameplay wise and I've done 3-4 tier 3 missions since then. The blueberries look frosted but thats about it.

11 hours ago, Matt 1977 said:

Survivalist or Warrior. Which difficulty does 100% player damage without zombies being hitpoint tanks?

Eek its nomad. Feels to easy tbh

Screenshot_20200725-124632_Chrome.jpg

@madmoleim hoping that A20 sliders are added so i can turn up Zombie damage, leave player damage the same, increase roaming horde size to say 30 for example, increase frequency etc. More option would be fantastic. 

A20 is either going to be really small and focused or launch next spring/summer. By the time we finish A19 it will be August 15th, that leaves 2.5 months to work on stuff putting us at Nov 1st to content lock and release and be stable by the xmas sale. While it wouldn't be incredibly hard, we have to pick our battles instead of add cool forum idea #5693302 which is also cool dev idea #4349326294. Everything takes 2-3x longer than estimated... so what can we do in 2-3 weeks?

I'm actually working on A21 at the moment, something I know is too ambitious for A20, but I can get all the designs and concepts done.

16 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Seems like something a game tester or QA would do. Honestly the guy won't even grant replies on this topic so whos to say if I actually found an issue anything would be done. I brought up that there are safe zones on top of bridges way back in A16 and nothings been done about it, even brought it up to a tester this alpha.

The reality of bug testing. Hundreds of issues come in, the most important 30 are patched, some bugs vanish randomly because some old code getting changed or removed, some can never be replicated, some are always delegated to be fixed at a later date.

In other words: There is no guarantee for speedy bug fixes on less than critical bugs. You can just increase the probability something gets fixed if you can proove that something is wrong instead of just saying you have a feeling this might be wrong. A high percentage of bugs turn out to be the users fault or misinterpretation, so like it or not, you are not automatically believed if you claim something.

You can also increase the probability by making a proper bug report to a tester because once it is a confirmed bug the chance of a fix is 20 times higher than if you bank on Gazz using his limited time to test this.

I forget but will 'smell' from food return one day ?

B173 playing great, some hours in my new clean game and zero issues so far. I am slightly concerned at times with Spawning in Zombies though as I am (rare) occasionally seeing a Zombie spawn in and that straight away grabs my immersion and slaps it some what.

2 hours ago, STyK_ said:

I think is been an issue all along. Way too much empty everything, empty airdrops, empty food piles, empty med supplies, ect. I made two previous comments directed at Gazz cause hes the man who handles the loot tables. Also things like college jackets, running shoes, and mega crushes are supposed to be the keys to nightmare speed, I've found 1 mega crush in 32 hours playing and the others don't seem to exist, tires don't exist, and neither do bottles of acid. Pretty much become 100% dependent on the trader and it shouldn't be like that, if you look at the description of the loot abundance option it should just be less in each container, the way it is now it is like only 25% of the containers have anything in them and 75% are empty on 25% loot. I can get by as well but at the same time it is inadequate. 

Did you see the bug report I linked a few pages back?

24 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Did you see the bug report I linked a few pages back?

I did see the original post and responded to it, I just didn't see the edits. This is good! Now why didn't the Meganoth or Gazz reply with this. I did start a new game in b169. Maybe it just hasn't been adjusted yet? I guess I will know when I restart for random gen. Only took 3 years to confirm this and have something done lol.

Hi all! I'm using the google translator, sorry about that but my english is rubbish.
Here is an idea for developers:
When we open a garbage or a shelf, toilet, refrigerator, etc. What if in the free space left behind from the loot slots,
 we would put a story that says like this:
- "When disassembling this unit / furniture you will have a CHANCE of finding X things".
 It would be like a mini help for the new ones. It came to my mind after the publication of the boy with the pipes. 

I have about 1700hs to play and love this game (:

39 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I did see the original post and responded to it, I just didn't see the edits. This is good! Now why didn't the Meganoth or Gazz reply with this. I did start a new game in b169. Maybe it just hasn't been adjusted yet? I guess I will know when I restart for random gen. Only took 3 years to confirm this and have something done lol.

You would be surprised how often issues regress over time.  This could be broken again by A20.  😅

On 11/27/2019 at 11:28 PM, SittingDuck said:

you where wrong.... stainless steel does not rust.... normal steel does.

As a machinist with over 20 years of exp. SOME stainless doesn't rust. It depends on the amount of nickel in the grade. The name says it all Stain-LESS

not Stain-PROOF. Have a blessed day!

4 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

As a machinist with over 20 years of exp. SOME stainless doesn't rust. It depends on the amount of nickel in the grade. The name says it all Stain-LESS

not Stain-PROOF. Have a blessed day!

As someone who's had stainless steel knives degrade to rust pocked garbage (made the same assumption as the one you quoted and didn't do basic maintenance on them) I can confirm.

5 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

has anyone notice that normal glass is "Really" see through? i mean it looks like Air!

i was in a building and i though the windows broke but no it was there!

Yeah, I was looking at a chest and a ammo pile on a shelf and thought they were bugged, since I didn't get a popup to search etc. Think instead they were just behind invisible glass.. lol

On time i had really cleaned a friends door glass super well, and he spit a big ol wad of chew against it cause he thought it was open...lmao

I have got the feeling that the hitbox of plants got worse. Trying to harvest from my farm plots in b169 ended in me taking out lots of seeds accidentally. Right now with a new savegame in b173 it is still the same with chrysanthemum flowers. Instead of the flower I keep hitting grass way more often than with A18. Not sure when exactly that got worse but it definitely was better with A18.

Someone else experienced that as well?

Just now, PoloPoPo said:

I have got the feeling that the hitbox of plants got worse. Trying to harvest from my farm plots in b169 ended in me taking out lots of seeds accidentally. Right now with a new savegame in b173 it is still the same with chrysanthemum flowers. Instead of the flower I keep hitting grass way more often than with A18. Not sure when exactly that got worse but it definitely was better with A18.

Not me, except for yucca. Yucca seems to have gotten as worse as it was back in A17; it's so easy to punch the plant or even the seeds.

Just now, PoloPoPo said:

I think hit boxes in general are a little wonky as of 169. Missed a whole group of zoms at point blank range with a blunderbuss..

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived