Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

There's another little piece that may or may not wind up being impactful;

Upper range of Stamina Pool fills a bit faster than the lower.

From 75 to 100 or so. And I'm suspicious that the lowest portion may fill a tad bit slower than the middle... :miserable:

Guessing you'd need to slow down game ticks by 90+% to be able to time the regen rates... gah...

One example where I think this _may_ be impactful is swinging a lower Stamina cost weapon vs. one with a greater cost.

Just a hunch but it may be possible for something like the Hunting Knife or Machete to basically 'ride' that sweet spot and have almost non-stop power attacks.

Did a fresh, clean run with 208, and have to say I haven't had this much fun in ages Pimps - awesome job. Even with the bugs here and there (my POI home in the camp I built had an SI bug and fell down when a zombie cop walked up the stairs and touched a door during horde night... but I carried on), I am addicted once again. Currently on day 42, and since I've gotten used to it, I've managed to go thus far without a death and 1k zombie kills! Many close-deaths, many white-knuckling encounters -- quite a few "no, not like this!". A+++, never would have had this much fun and excitement out of A16.

one suggestion for AI, during horde nights 99% of my spikes are worthless because once a path of spikes is clear to a wall, no matter which side of the base they spawn they sprint all the way around to the non-spiked section of the wall. Kinda makes it predictable and kinda annoying. Other than that, delectable!

Will I survive hordenight after using what little resources I had left to build a new center-base in my walled camp? For once since A15, I am eager to find out!

On top of that, the only ways to increase stamina regeneration are all temporary with heavy consequences. And none of the perks actually affects base stamina regeneration.

Infinite stamina regen would be completely broken - like it was in A16.

Why have a game system that becomes completely irrelevant?

Yeah I mean when you level up mining gets easy. I can take my steel pick and power swing down a dozen nodes before I get exausted now. You shouldn't start the game with infinite stamina like before hand. Takes a big part of the fear factor out, having infinite stamina.

Certainly can't disagree with that for combat.

But honestly curious how TFPs feel about the basically 'mindless' activities like running & mining?

Been thinking of the 'Road Runner' perk in a couple mods. If that were countered by an 'Enemy Near' or 'Recent Combat' debuff that canceled it, then maybe it wouldn't be exploitable? Yet could both end the current, 'sprint, walk, sprint, walk' & expand roaming range some.

Edit2: to clarify; that modded in perk allowed you to run endlessly, but -only- on roads. If the Pimps added it maybe they could have it drain half the stamina pool then stop.

Early Mining, to me, is really 'not fun' mostly due to the swing a few times, wait, repeat. Not saying, 'make it easier' or 'give more mats'. I'd just like to be able to mindlessly swing a pickaxe for a couple minutes without having to micro manage it.

I know I can just hold down R/L-mouse and once stamina regens enough the next swing will fire; but all those damn grunts! :)

Maybe I haven't adjusted myself enough to A17 yet. Still want to build stuff & start stockpiling materials out of the gate. And since I haven't made it past day 16, I haven't experianced what Jugginator describes; so things could be much different after the first 45 hours in-game.

Edit: sry, wasn't meaning to come across as snarky w the '45 hours in-game' bit. I'm playing 90-min days so was thinking that maybe around game-day 30 or so the perks start to sort of pile-on and things smooth out.

For those of you who don't like waiting a long time to mine a lot of stuff or build megabases, I suggest using the debug console to speed up time during monotonous periods. Vedui has a tutorial on how to do that here. I don't consider it cheating, because the game is harder at faster speeds. You aren't changing anything but your character's perception of time, and mining/upgrading stays balanced.

When A17 stable comes out, I'm thinking about jumping in with an insane, dead is dead, time moves 2x faster save file as my first taste of the new build.

Results:

1) Do nothing and you will consume (practically) nothing. See also Drithyls 20 minutes of doing nothing showed the same over a much longer duration

2) If you have 130 stamina instead of 100 stamina you (obviously) can spend 30% more stamina before being exhausted. But above shows that you also can make slightly more total swings for 3% food and you obviously have A LOT more swings you can do until you reach 97 max Stamina.

3) Since the total swings for 3% food at 130 max Stamina is roughly 16% more, your metabolism is actually burning food 16% more effectively than with 100 max Stamina.

BUT:

Since stamina usage per swing might be random, the 16% above could be just random fluctuation. Multiple tests would be necessary to make this really stick, but thats enough testing from me.

BUTBUT: Whether the 16% are there or not, you still have two advantages from 130 stamina and not a single disadvantage!

Thanks for the test! Really interesting. At this point we can only speculate where those 4 extra swings are from. Can't really find anything relevant in progression.xml But I might be wrong.

Does anyone know if the timer on buffs runs if we're out of the game? This whole "near death" thing is really killing it for me. I'm a player who sadly dies alot, and I understand making it harder by giving us a penalty, but 30 minutes is half of my normal playing time anyway, and it kinda just makes me want to quit.

Barring waiting it out, is there anything else to be done to remove it?

Does anyone know if the timer on buffs runs if we're out of the game? This whole "near death" thing is really killing it for me. I'm a player who sadly dies alot, and I understand making it harder by giving us a penalty, but 30 minutes is half of my normal playing time anyway, and it kinda just makes me want to quit.

Yes make a mod request. It's relatively easy to mod out.

Hit F1

Type Debuff buffNearDeathTrauma

lol removes it I die alot to

I'm not complaining yet, since this is experimental and not balanced yet. But IMHO throttling everything via stamina and stamina only feels artificial. The whole leveling then boils down to decreasing stamina usage for every single thing individually.

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus, I just play the game - you guys dig deep.

Of course! Gotta get to that bedrock!

Yeah, so I played a horde night with my buddy at lvl 75 each. The new ai pathing is seriously flawed when there are more than say, 15 Zed's running around. It may be the need to re calculate paths when other zombies run between them and us. Whatever it is, I don't even need to Sprint when there are tons of zombies running around because it takes a really long time for them to path to me on flat open ground.

Look into the A17e modlet pages of the mod subforum. There is a modlet that makes it 15 minutes and another that makes it 20 minutes. They are at the following link: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?94906-JaxTeller718-Modlet-Collection

Played a bit ( 2 weeks ingame ) on hardest settings, dead is dead. Basicly you can call this "you will never be alone or alive" mode and I love it.

And this is only experimental ;)

After the initial shock wore off, A17 is a dang fun game as SP and still fun in MP. It will have close to infinite replay-ablity as I struggle up the difficulty ladder.

@TFP: I dont know whom to ask in particular. I asked earlier about the BMhorde component. But how do i get the rwg wilderness poigroup to work now. Ive learned how to manually create my own world and reshape it. but i have a ton of unused real estate. Has the random populating of the poi group been completely removed. Will i only get additional pois if i manually edit the file. If it has been completely removed is there a plan to return it. Im really ready to take ad vantage of the ability that youve granted and terraform. but placing each and every single poi, seems a bit harsh, considering there are a thousand plus.

@faatal can you confirm AI is considering paths blocked by the old spike trap? I saw today two zombies avoid walking straight into me and instead go around using another door. There was only air blocks and one of the A16 spike traps in the way, even the door was destroyed already. Meanwhile in the other side we had air blocks (bigger distance) + metal door + A17 iron spike trap.

I'm not sure this is related to the trap, but I noted this in common in the situation

I'm also struggling to find beakers like some others mentioned. Not sure if there's a problem with this or I'm just unlucky, but couldn't find any pop'n pills so far, 5 cities visited in random gen. Two other guys in the server confirmed to not have found beakers outside airdrops.

Maybe using one First Aid Kit should ether remove the debuff or subtract 10 minutes from the timer each use?

That way dying has a cost, just not game breaking from some.

Archived