Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not really having a problem with archery, but I'm using iron arrows, compound bow and a few perks nowhere near maxed out and I'm knocking them down with one arrow a lot. Second arrow kills em. (Day 7)

My question is this, if a regular bow and stone arrows one shot kills them what would be the point of iron, or steel arrows? The compound bow or xbow? More Perks? Mods for bows?

It seems if there is to be progression though the archery skill, the beginner bows and arrows have to be weak don't they? As a side note, points in Archery only effect aiming and reload according to the skill tree description I think. Unless there is something in the xml stating differently, I have not looked.

So, how would you like the bow skill to progress, because it seems to me it has to start low, with lots of arrows needed or there is no point in improving via perks, mods or types of bows?

Well most of the time you arent hitting headshots. Shoulders, necks etc. Yes I agree there should be a progression. However, 3 or 4 obvious headshots and they are still coming at you...especially ferals and greenies. But you are only finding a fixed amount, 10 or 20 if you are lucky, of iron or steel arrows...before level 20+

What is the point of the Perks then....I can see a 3,2,1 progression of stone, iron and steel. But right now you are way under powered to take on most of the over level 20 zombies if you used all your iron and steel up on the first several horde nights trying to survive.

It's already been said that damage balancing is in the works. But what's the point of ever getting mods, finding a higher tier item, or even getting the perks, if a lvl 1, no mod weapon can 1 or 2 shot a zombie? People would then complain that there is no reason to even get a single thing beyond first tier stuff at that point... so no reason for good weapons beyond starting quests, lol. I know at higher stuff, it should do a bit more to, yes, 1 or 2 shot guys, but there's gotta be some kind of range between stuff :/ I'm curious on how TFP will handle it all, it's a big undertaking and I've faith in them. They've put so much stuff good in it (that yes, now seems awful, but opens up so much potential for expanding) to be expanded upon.

Agreed..but its almost impossible to enter those if you are over level 20 with the ferals and greenies.

And the 30 minute magazines...how can i put it...Useless. I have tons of them..read them and all i get are cute little pictures on the side of my screen....dont even know what they do or if they are actually working. I liked the quest of finding a book....Add that to the quest lines..find a book to make a minibike...or go to the hardware stores and look for a bike manual. Go to the gas stations and look for a jeep manual . Go to the new AIRPORT POI and look for a gyrocopter schematic.

Everything is too fixed and directional!!

Also...more traps would be fun....whatever happened to the fire trap with the propanr tank attached. What about a rain water collector? Things you need in a survival game

The magazines are not completely useless m8 (use the barter one in early game for bonus gold when you focus perks on fighting)

i agree they should at least go over the level gating to let you craft say a forge earlier than level 20. That would be meaningful

@faatal

here are the two traps. Left = A17 version / Right = A16 version, now only used in prefabs

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26000[/ATTACH]

Ironically the A16 version is named trapSpikesNew, I guess due to a small improvement it has while being damaged. It's not available on creative mode by default.

Right, that is the old spike, which has New in the name probably from replacing an even older spike.

Zombie vs spike interactions will probably be changing anyway, since Gazz and I talked about making them avoid spikes less, but the path cost code that needs to change for it is not simple, since that code does not know about blocks. On my todo list.

This is a GREAT news!! I play with friends that don't like running zombies and feral.

These settings will let us customize the game to match what we enjoy most! Thanks!

Indeed, I found the old running to be annoying, which is now called Sprint.

I didn't mention that there are now 4 settings to choose from plus Nightmare that I added today:

Walk, Jog, Run, Sprint or Nightmare.

I didn't mention that there are now 4 settings to choose from plus Nightmare that I added today:

Nightmare? Every zombie is replaced with irradiated vultures?

Ok, here are the complaints that I have received from people that I play with. All seasoned players who have been around pretty much since A6/7. Well over 20,000+ hours in game, who feel that many of the fun aspects in the game have been removed and replaced with systems that are more of a grind.

Why does it take 3 or more headshots to kill a zombie? I can see 1 or 2 , even big momma or the fat guys taking 3, but i have some of them walking at me with 3 or for arrows sticking out of their eyes and mouth. Granted i am using stone arrows, but i have 4 points in all 5 attributes, as well as 2 points in archery and 2 points in Boom Headshot. A kill shot is a kill shot.

Turn off weather survival until its worked on and finished. You cant do anything to fix it, but it affects your survival. Stamina goes down quicker and you lose your open slots and become encumbered. You step into the burnt biome and your hot. One step onto the green grass and its gone.

The zombie loot drops are too scarce. Its maybe 1 out of every 100 kills you get something. Aside from the XP, killing them is a grind and boring.

The food and water counters are a pain in the ass as well..You have to constantly have to go back and forth now and look at your food number to see how much you can eat or drink. Also now you are clicking through 3 pages of charecter stats instead of having it all on the first page of pulling up your charecter. Not easy in the field with zombies approaching. I take a drink and the counter starts climbing 1 digit at a time...it makes it too easy to get sick which is a waste in my eyes.if you are at 3/4 stamina. You drink 2 or 3 bottles of water and you start walking and 5 minutes later...you are sick ..i would rather catch a cold in game, if you dont have enough clothes in the snow biome..something a bit different.. Why cant the stamina and health go up to the full amount right away like in A16 after each water or bandage.

Lights on other players mining helmets, doesnt help light up an area for others in your party or anyone for that matter. . Also there are many instances of light bleed through walls for torches and helmet lights.

Start out the night killing zombies and by the time you can get down and collect your arrows...they are gone, because it took you too long.

Zombies can totally wreck your building....GREAT..but every deterrent you put down, wood spikes for example, do nothing to stop them. Its a survival game, but none of the tools you gave me, help me survive.

The difficulty of the start of the game is rushed because by the time you hit 20, you are faced with an overwhelming level of ferals and greenies who can destroy your base but you are very unprepared to handle. As soon as you enter the door Zombies spawn in or awaken and start running at you..My single shot bow is useless, as well as my 9 mm and the 50 bullets I have. The balance is just too far tilted towards the zombies in the early stages of the game....I can only imagine what will be coming at you at level 100.

Because your rewards are all based around the traders now, everyone tends to group up around them now instead of spreading out across the map. I NEVER used traders in game and now if i want to level up or get certain things or points,,i have no option but to visit them .

The game has become very direction orientated, instead of the free roam feeling of previous alphas. Just feel i am being grouped with the herd towards a certain direction, that I dont necessarily want to go.

There are a few more that I will add. RWG really needs to get some fixes.

If the whole streamer weekend was to get new players to try the game..This one direction, forced gameplay will turn alot of people off and do the exact opposite.

We are still playing ...waiting for the next patch, but feel much of the "freeplay" is no longer in game. Decisions are being made for you as well as, being forced to play with others. Although we interact as a group, we dont always play as a group due to different family demands, timezones and work schedules. Group play should be a choice and not the preferred way of playing.

Regards

Ouch

^^^^^this^^^^^

I agree strongly with this post. I have other things as well but they have already been discussed at length and dismissed. For the love of money, at least consider some of these negative posts. I myself would write pages but I type very slowly and hate doing it, and besides; knowing myself I would get carried away on a rant and end up getting myself banned.

(AGAIN) Likely permanetly this time

Query

Faatal

will we have the translation into Spanish of the skills in the next update?

@faatal

Will these settings affect experience points, since in some way they make it easier/hard to survive ?

No. The point of them is to make the game easier or harder. Changing xp makes it easier or harder in an additional way which is even harder to balance and we have enough balancing to do already.

Faatal

will we have the translation into Spanish of the skills in the next update?

I doubt it. I don't think that work will be done until all the localization strings are not being changed and added every day. I don't know how we get that done. I assume some company translates it once stable.

Nightmare scares me... I think I'll try it during day for 5mins just to see what it's like... haha

It sounds so good, for too long we've had it easy. I want to feel vulnerable trying to survive, I want to fear stepping out of my base so much that all I have for day 7 BM is just some broken glass so I don't become one of them. I want to cling on to my bedroll screaming in a dark attic naked cuz I've ripped all my clothing for bandages, as I hear em wrecking my base.

As one smart guy once said:

"With those things runnin' around? You can count me out."

Private Hudson

Nightmare scares me... I think I'll try it during day for 5mins just to see what it's like... haha

Currently it is a 20% move speed boost, so not horrible, but not something I've tried in a real game. Other devs were wanting it. I'm not planning on playing like that. I'm not crazy.

Gone but not forgotten.

"Game over man, game over!"

Be so good if TFP can add this to the dead screen. I'd die just to hear it once in awhile.

Currently it is a 20% move speed boost, so not horrible, but not something I've tried in a real game. Other devs were wanting it. I'm not planning on playing like that. I'm not crazy.

Who are these other devs? They need to be commended!

Don't know exactly what the new options are since the forums are blocking me from viewing the image. What it sounds like is that there's an option to change how fast the zombies go in the start menu. That sounds pretty cool. However, the nightmare speed mode sounds like it might get a little monotounous. Instead, imagine that the zombies walk MOST of the time, but they have the potential to be set off into feral mode at a moments notice, if you get unlucky.

Don't know exactly what the new options are since the forums are blocking me from viewing the image. What it sounds like is that there's an option to change how fast the zombies go in the start menu. That sounds pretty cool. However, the nightmare speed mode sounds like it might get a little monotounous. Instead, imagine that the zombies walk MOST of the time, but they have the potential to be set off into feral mode at a moments notice, if you get unlucky.

I also can't view forum attachments. Pretty annoying.

The new settings are:

Zombie Day Speed

Zombie Night Speed

Zombie Feral Speed

Zombie Blood Moon Speed

Each of those can be set to one of:

Walk, Jog, Run, Sprint, Nightmare.

Archived