Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

My last post about it got moved to the overflow thread so I'll ask the question properly this time...

Are we possibly getting close to the stage where we might see A21 Dev streams popping up (assuming we're getting dev streams this alpha)?

It's almost a year since the first A20 one, which is why I'm asking

Also, hopefully on topic for A21 discussion: I remember last year durring an A20 stream, it was mentioned that they'd been looking into something like.. potentially using jiggle-tech to give zombies that would otherwise be the same a little more variance amongst themselves.. Think we could get a Confirmed no/More details later?

With new Learn By Looting System and skills no longer unlocking recipes do skills "Archery" and "Javelin Master" has gotten an upgrade? 

Right now these 2 weapon governing skills are the only ones that do not provide anything interesting as bonus when you invest to unlock level 3+. They only do "% more dmg, %faster reload/throw", while all other do the same +gives you interesting bonuses like stamina per hit, bleeding, gunpowder crafting, anti-infection, each successful hit does more dmg etc. 

@Roland  can you give any info about this?

It's been really quiet for a while here.  Would love to get some updates on where things stand and any rough timelines.  Last year the A20 dev streams were starting around this time frame.  Also would love to see an actual roadmap of what is perceived as required for beta/gold.  

- Eko

On 9/5/2022 at 6:13 AM, Doomofman said:

My last post about it got moved to the overflow thread so I'll ask the question properly this time...

Are we possibly getting close to the stage where we might see A21 Dev streams popping up (assuming we're getting dev streams this alpha)?

It's almost a year since the first A20 one, which is why I'm asking

On 9/6/2022 at 10:12 AM, WaywardEko said:

It's been really quiet for a while here.  Would love to get some updates on where things stand and any rough timelines.  Last year the A20 dev streams were starting around this time frame.  Also would love to see an actual roadmap of what is perceived as required for beta/gold.  

- Eko

Sometime this year is the goal but other than that no timelines. It's done when it's done. Dev streams won't start until the team feels the new features are ready to show. Madmole is doing a lot of playtesting for his seal of approval on balancing and what still needs polish. 

29 minutes ago, Roland said:

Sometime this year is the goal but other than that no timelines. It's done when it's done. Dev streams won't start until the team feels the new features are ready to show. Madmole is doing a lot of playtesting for his seal of approval on balancing and what still needs polish.

but but.... you forgot to show them the new roadmap... oh well i'll show it for you then.

:)

Map.gif

On 9/5/2022 at 7:52 AM, v3tro said:

With new Learn By Looting System and skills no longer unlocking recipes do skills "Archery" and "Javelin Master" has gotten an upgrade? 

Right now these 2 weapon governing skills are the only ones that do not provide anything interesting as bonus when you invest to unlock level 3+. They only do "% more dmg, %faster reload/throw", while all other do the same +gives you interesting bonuses like stamina per hit, bleeding, gunpowder crafting, anti-infection, each successful hit does more dmg etc. 

@Roland  can you give any info about this?

The perks are WIP. What they are today may not be what they are tomorrow so its best to wait and see what is finalized. A21 may not even be the finalized versions. Once players get their hands on it and play with perks & magazines I'm sure there will be a resulting adjustment to this part of the game.

4 hours ago, Roland said:

The perks are WIP. What they are today may not be what they are tomorrow so its best to wait and see what is finalized. A21 may not even be the finalized versions. Once players get their hands on it and play with perks & magazines I'm sure there will be a resulting adjustment to this part of the game.

I am eager for dev streams or when ever madmole is ready to show off the rebalanced int tree since it was gutted =p

43 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

I am eager for dev streams or when ever madmole is ready to show off the rebalanced int tree since it was gutted =p

Most of it, yes. I'm so excited that it's getting difficult to walk lately. Imagine a perk that gives you bitcoins while connecting us to Epic. AT the same time !

So I know the paints get brought up quite a bit, and it appears the limit is pretty set, but what are the chances they refresh the ones we have/replace some? Several are so old and tile terribly, and others don't make as much sense now as they used to. With a lot of deco blocks being added to loot/traders, it seems like the oven, fridge, and cabinet/sink type paints could be changed out for more useful ones. Same with the supply crate ones, those could just be made into block variants you can select when placing them. And the industrial glass ones are rough too. Well, "glass industrial 2" is, anyway. The other one has some uses at least. I can count at least 25 that don't really make much sense anymore.

If the limit isn't going to increase, the ones offered should at least be useful, nice looking options, no?

Edited by bdubyah (see edit history)

9 hours ago, bdubyah said:

So I know the paints get brought up quite a bit, and it appears the limit is pretty set, but what are the chances they refresh the ones we have/replace some? Several are so old and tile terribly, and others don't make as much sense now as they used to. With a lot of deco blocks being added to loot/traders, it seems like the oven, fridge, and cabinet/sink type paints could be changed out for more useful ones. Same with the supply crate ones, those could just be made into block variants you can select when placing them. And the industrial glass ones are rough too. Well, "glass industrial 2" is, anyway. The other one has some uses at least. I can count at least 25 that don't really make much sense anymore.

If the limit isn't going to increase, the ones offered should at least be useful, nice looking options, no?

Some of the older paint textures will  be removed as block deco replace them.  Hopefully that will translate into us getting more textures.  I personally, would love more floor / wall textures as it would help vary level design more. 😁

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Some of the older paint textures will  be removed as block deco replace them.  Hopefully that will translate into us getting more textures.  I personally, would love more floor / wall textures as it would help vary level design more. 😁

I hope that some clean textures will be added for the player as well. Level designers need textures that look old and decayed. When I build a base, I want it to look brand new.

12 hours ago, bdubyah said:

don't touch the oven! 😅 I am currently building large apartment buildings, and each one should have ovens. The decorative model of the oven has about 14-20 thousand polygons, and the usual block with the texture of the oven is only 12 (not thousands, just 12), and of course, to optimize the prefab in most cases, I use a block with the texture of the oven. I agree that more colors and textures are needed, but some are needed in such non-obvious cases. However, if the developers can make it so that tens of thousands of polygons will not affect performance, then I'm all for it! :)

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

I actually posted that while grumbling in the POI editor trying to paint a POI I'm working on. Lol. There just aren't enough usable wall/floor textures. I can't paint the entire thing gray concrete. Lol.

The tinted control panel block textures would make for good paints. I used several of the gray ones and they look so good. We need some good metal wall paints that aren't super shiny, and that tile well. Some with the concretes. The gray is perfect, but then the other colors are either terrible tile jobs or you have the pink and purple which is super saturated and just looks odd in all but a few situations.

18 minutes ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

don't touch the oven! 😅 I am currently building large apartment buildings, and each one should have ovens. The decorative model of the oven has about 14-20 thousand polygons, and the usual block with the texture of the oven is only 12 (not thousands, just 12), and of course, to optimize the prefab in most cases, I use a block with the texture of the oven. I agree that more colors and textures are needed, but some are needed in such non-obvious cases. However, if the developers can make it so that tens of thousands of polygons will not affect performance, then I'm all for it! :)

Using the deco one shouldn't really hurt much. Occlusion and LODs should keep that from happening. Would make a good test, like you did with the glass. ;)

9 hours ago, Laz Man said:

It'd be great if they could take the gloss sheen off the older carpet textures.  Oh, and dark, polished wood!  #Mahogany