Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, Snowydeath said:

I am 90% sure they will not be appearing but would be pleasantly surprised if they do

Before I go on I have to say yes, I absolutely do this myself all the time. I just find it amusing when I do stop and think about it.

Giving a percentage makes no sense to me.

If I say 1% chance it will happen or 99% chance it will happen it doesn't matter I am both right and wrong.

If I say 1% chance they will be added and they are...that was my 1% working. If they are not, my other 99% was what kicked in.

If I say 99% chance they will be added and they are then my 99% was correct. If not, oh well, I did say there was a 1% chance they wouldn't.

No matter what I split the percentages into I will be both right and wrong at all times.

So that is how I see it in my brain.

My post has 50% chance of being 100% right or 100% wrong :D

4 hours ago, MickkPewPew said:

Are bandits coming in A21 or no? seeing a lot of conflicting comments all over

its not a question as to when they are coming but more of what alpha build they want to play in. they have been here since a17. :)

as for conflicting comments.. always watch the front page and WHEN something is confirmed either way, then you will know.

lots of rotten grapes on the grape vines.

20 minutes ago, JamesKirk said:

My hope is that TFP will get bandits working but won't tell anybody to make them a surprise in A21. There will be some epic moments for sure when players suddenly die from a bandits bullet, totally confused.💀

or when they get clubbed in the back of the head because they snuck in from behind. :)

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I'll just say that @faatal has been busy in a very exciting way and if he cares to comment about what he has been doing lately I'd be happy to add something to front page.

I don't think it's appropriate to talk about the private sexual life of TFP employees, and especially to show pictures of them in the act... :rolleyes2:

2 hours ago, eventhorizon said:

The "Learn by looting" mechanic sounds awfully familiar...

Oh, yeah, because this did it first.

https://7daystodiemods.com/darkness-falls-mod/

This has been stated several times now. You aren't shocking anyone.

Khaine, himself, weighed in and gave his feedback based on his experience developing this aspect of his mod. I'm super interested to see if TFP ultimately follows in his footsteps even further or if their version of it will avoid the pitfalls Khaine ran into or if they will come up with some different solution if one is needed. At any rate, we are all pretty well informed around here but maybe you can get some gasps and sputters on Facebook or reddit.... ;)

8 minutes ago, Roland said:

This has been stated several times now. You aren't shocking anyone.

Khaine, himself, weighed in and gave his feedback based on his experience developing this aspect of his mod. I'm super interested to see if TFP ultimately follows in his footsteps even further or if their version of it will avoid the pitfalls Khaine ran into or if they will come up with some different solution if one is needed. At any rate, we are all pretty well informed around here but maybe you can get some gasps and sputters on Facebook or reddit.... ;)

Looks like it was his 1st post on the forums, go easy on the guy...😅

Joking aside, I'm sure we will get a round of "modders" thought of that first at some point with the usual host of snarky comments.

Some of those guys don't realize that TFP has accommodated many of the methods modders are using today and continue to listen and add things so they can continue to expand their mods.

Without the support from TFPs, many of those mods wouldn't exist lol...

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Looks like it was his 1st post on the forums, go easy on the guy...😅

Joking aside, I'm sure we will get a round of "modders" thought of that first at some point with the usual host of snarky comments.

Some of those guys don't realize that TFP has accommodated many of the methods modders are using today and continue to listen and add things so they can continue to expand their mods.

Without the support from TFPs, many of those mods wouldn't exist lol...

Well, it wasn't a good first post. Lol. 

And from what I've seen, DF's system isn't all that different than what vanilla used to have. LBD, loot only books/schems, etc. I haven't actually played DF myself though, so I could be wrong and I'm certainly not taking anything away from Khaine's mod. I think he did make it so you could eventually get everything through perks/skills though, so you didn't find yourself in those situations where you were at end game times but never had find the minibike book, for example. But I was one of the ones that liked that part of rng as it could completely change that game. It seems most people always felt they should always find everything in every game though. 

Point being if you wanna start the whole "Simpson's did it!!!1!1!!" nonsense then the game will lose the vast majority of its content. Lol. 

Edited by bdubyah (see edit history)

9 hours ago, eventhorizon said:

The "Learn by looting" mechanic sounds awfully familiar...

Oh, yeah, because this did it first.

https://7daystodiemods.com/darkness-falls-mod/

Not the same thing...

A21 will have 'Learn by Looting' (you find items to increase your crafting skill in loot, not just schematics that allow you to craft items).

Darkness Falls has 'Learn by Doing' (if you use a club your club skill increases).

Learn by Doing was part of vanilla 7D2D but caused issues with servers.

Players used to craft, then scrap, hundreds of items to increase crafting skill or by leave their character running against a wall while AFK to increase Athletics skill, etc.

2 hours ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal, what are you wear.... working on at the moment?

@faatal: sorry! Roland's "spoiler" was so generic, that I couldn't resist pulling that joke! :pound: Remembers me of one time I went to eat into an Italian cafeteria, and on display, among other foods, there was this one label "Miscellaneous"... that's how Roland's post sounded. He called for that, he left it too much open to... interpretation, lol

5 hours ago, beerfly said:

Anxiety +10

No need to add to that stat. They are in "hard work" mode because of the upcoming Streaming, I'm pretty sure they want to give us a smooth sneak peak. In reality, I'd expect a21 exp for Christmas , which makes all the sense. Rick will probably open his big mouth to wish for November though, bets? xD. Let's get the Bourbon going so he spills the beans.

4 hours ago, Blake_ said:

No need to add to that stat. They are in "hard work" mode because of the upcoming Streaming, I'm pretty sure they want to give us a smooth sneak peak. In reality, I'd expect a21 exp for Christmas , which makes all the sense. Rick will probably open his big mouth to wish for November though, bets? xD. Let's get the Bourbon going so he spills the beans.

Well said.

I love the smell of new alpha early in the end of the year :)

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)