Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

I really love return to sandom recipies. Fist step (back) to right direction in years. 

But "Interactive Environmental Hazards" 
that filed concept in context of this game. Year is is that lazy and hacky "puzzle" in solo computer game but did you forgot this is VOXEL game. 
1st thing I would do is destroy the broken pipe block, not expecting it to put out the fire but just to my suspicion that have no effect on the now completely illogical and detached flame even on the adjacent block.  

Then I would just go through the wall or climb up the wall with frames or ladders and break in from upper floor window.  

Yes, environmental hazard is great idea, it just in not for the concept of this game. A good "environmental hazard" concept is hostile biomes. As it is direction the game is already going. Like having to discover and craft cold water gear to survive on snow biome. Or to lesser degree desert biome having water much more rare in it. Burned biome could require gas mask and filters that wear out. So untill you are able to craft the gear you could not access those biomes. That would give more to play for in this game. 
Then is the radiation biome (and I do not mean destroyed bome) that been discussed for years and radiation gear has even been added to game for it. 

This would be much more interesting goal than perks and new gear as that would give the player more to play for. And certain items and matrial could be more abundant in certain biomes. That would add like more depth to the game. Also that the enemy levels would not jsut magically scale up at same time  as your character gets better that makes it pointless to imrpve your charter as you are just treading water. every time you make you character little stronger the opposition just gets just as much stringer. 
Just like now the destroyed area is the high lever area in the game, the level of opponent could be by region, so player would themselves get to choose when to upp the challenge (and with it  the rewards) by moving to higher level biome. This would also encourage players to travel more, not just camp same 1-3 cities for loot respawns. 

Hmm just read up on the changes coming in a21 and pretty iffy on some of them, especially the learn by looting ones :classic_sad:

Dunno, guess we'll see when it is fully here, but the game has been heavily heavily heavily killing the "den mother" role from online groups for several updates now and this change just completely does it in entirely. Every online group I've seen usually ends up with 1 player who mostly just enjoys building and gathering and stays at home and handles the crafting etc, while the others go off doing questing.

I'm confused on why it's even seen as such an egregious problem to TFP to the point of the last several alpha crapping on it, but rip to that entire entire side of the game I guess. Learn by Looting just means any time spent in your base is basically wasted time now and it makes the game even more of a "just chain run quests nonstop" game

7 minutes ago, Prydonian said:

Biomes were removed at some point?  What were they?

Burnt Forest used to be its own biome, and further back there was a Plains biome too. Those are the only two I know of, though there might be other older biomes from even earlier. 

3 hours ago, EggsAisle said:

Burnt Forest used to be its own biome, and further back there was a Plains biome too. Those are the only two I know of, though there might be other older biomes from even earlier. 

Interesting!  Additional biomes are something I’ve been fervently hoping for.  Swamp, for instance.  And, of course, irradiated.

On 3/16/2022 at 7:02 PM, Roland said:
  • Pot is now required to boil murky water

The only problem that I see is that pots are too easy to make.
I think the idea is great.
But MAYBE think about an item like activated charcoal (which needs lots of ingredients or even loot only)
So murky water is 75% safe, cooked water is 95% safe and purified water is 100% safe.

So you are never 100% safe except if you spend lots of ressources (so lategame, when you should be safe).
I think drinking is such an easy target to make the world feel more apocalyptic... use it :D

On 8/15/2022 at 7:35 PM, Roland said:

.... That smile changes to a scowl if it turns out to be one of those sucky houses without a mailbox...

(sorry if this has been mentioned; I'm catching up on older posts)

It might be interesting if they add a new door model with a mail slot.  You'd have to actually get into the house to see if there is a pile of mail on the floor or not.

I started a new solo game some days ago. Now was time for the first BM where I decided to defend myself only with bow and arrows.

After the wave has ended I struggled to collect all missed arrows, because they are so hard to find.

I wish there would be an option, where arrows fired and stuck in earth are glowing like the spear, so you can pick them up more easily!

just a teaser... BUT keep in mind, you do need to find the material and you will need to either buy the water filter from a trader or get as a quest reward.

water filters are @1500 dukes.

and yes it might be possible to get it in a day but for me (depends on the amount of loot you scrounge up and how many people are helping), it took 2 days with 2 of us looting and selling EVERYTHING excluding what was needed for the dew collector. :)

below shows i read ONE forge ahead magazine. (we start at 1 on everything.

A21.0_2022-08-22_12-20-09.jpg

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

@faatal : by accident, I found out something about the A20 AI that could be improved in A21 if you got the time... when I place ladders going up, and then at some point I switch to the side one block, and I go up again from there, even if I can travel the ladders easily, the AI will stop at the first ladder "sequence", making the whole thing exploitable IMO.

Spoiler

So basically, I'm saying that something like this...

#

#

##

#

#

#

...will make the AI stop at the top of the first ladder, instead of trying to navigate sideways to the adjacent one.

Hope this helps. :yo:

The 2 main things I am hoping for in A21 is:

- The ability to build a standard base with defenses and be able to withstand a late game horde. I don't want to monkey around with tricks to exploit AI. Problem is you are forced to do this because late game Z's will "demolish" your base rather quickly. Devs, build a steel based base with whatever defenses you want and with a late game horde it should have some damage but not so much that you are spending all week rebuilding. And you aren't being over run every time. That is the measure I am looking for. No pathfinding gimics. people can still do that if they want. But it shouldn't be required.

- Decor: I should be able to add medic equipment, sat, electronics, computers, fridges, toolboxes etc. to my base without needing a mod. Without hacking. I'm tired of building cool bases that are empty. You can have traders sell these items so they don't require crafting. In fact different traders can sell different types of decor items. Gives me something to spend my dukes on and makes my base cool. Being able to build a good looking base was a key to Valheims huge success and exposure on social media. Beautiful player bases is great for exposure and marketing.

2 hours ago, Zombieforlife said:

The 2 main things I am hoping for in A21 is:

- The ability to build a standard base with defenses and be able to withstand a late game horde. I don't want to monkey around with tricks to exploit AI. Problem is you are forced to do this because late game Z's will "demolish" your base rather quickly. Devs, build a steel based base with whatever defenses you want and with a late game horde it should have some damage but not so much that you are spending all week rebuilding. And you aren't being over run every time. That is the measure I am looking for. No pathfinding gimics. people can still do that if they want. But it shouldn't be required.

U can try Turning down zombie block damage a bit.   

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, FreezePTV said:

Hello everyone :)

First of all, I'm glad that so many new things are being added to 7 Days. But I've been interested for a long time whether the auger will be revised at some point because the auger turns in the wrong direction. 

My understanding is that the auger is a rare Southern Hemisphere model and so the rotation animation is correct. 🙃 

12 hours ago, welshboy0420 said:

Hi is there anyway that people on the pc gamepass version (bought before knowing it was on steam) to test the beta versions or would i have to buy the game on steam to test experimental versions

No. The beta function is a Steam function and so can only be accessed through the Steam interface. 

There are currently diminishing returns on farming even with triple returns with perks because of seed returns not giving you enough seeds to replant your crop as the current drop rate is approximately 50% +- which requires you to spend half of your harvest to craft more seeds to replace the ones lost crafting more seeds at a rate of 5 crops per seed. This could easily be addressed through perks.

Edited by Xeen (see edit history)