Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

Looking forward to Alpha 21.  It would be cool if we could collect rain in barrels and then fill oir glass jars with murky water from them.

The cities are really cool now, hacking at RGW to make bigger ones though. Felt too small, but I am not lagging at all so maybe that's why I don't mind pushing the size up. I just want more than one skyscraper in a city so made the grid bigger, that helped. I guess more tools to control aspects of RGW is always welcomed 😀

Been playing off and on since a couple months before Steam launch. ALPHA never die, just like Cobra Kai! Lol

12 hours ago, Frotus said:

Looking forward to Alpha 21.  It would be cool if we could collect rain in barrels and then fill oir glass jars with murky water from them.

In A21, there are changes regarding drinkable water. There are no empty jars in A21 anymore. When you drink something, you don't get a jar back and you can't craft or find them.

2 hours ago, RipClaw said:

In A21, there are changes regarding drinkable water. There are no empty jars in A21 anymore. When you drink something, you don't get a jar back and you can't craft or find them.

But there are barrels that fill up with water from dew/rain* which can then be collected as jars of pure water so it is somewhat like what they are asking for. 

*I say “rain” in the abstract sense that the barrels fill up with water over time and not because they are reactive to weather. But thematically you’ll feel like some of that water you collect came from rain if it did rain even though you’d still get water even if it didn’t rain. 

1 hour ago, Roland said:

But there are barrels that fill up with water from dew/rain* which can then be collected as jars of pure water so it is somewhat like what they are asking for. 

*I say “rain” in the abstract sense that the barrels fill up with water over time and not because they are reactive to weather. But thematically you’ll feel like some of that water you collect came from rain if it did rain even though you’d still get water even if it didn’t rain. 

Oh cool, I guess you are one step ahead. LOL

That's probably a good plan, water becomes trivial after a few days of scavenging trash in A20-.

On 9/11/2022 at 1:01 PM, Games'n'Grumble said:

Hello @schwanz9000 ! I do not know exactly who is responsible for the shapes of the blocks, but perhaps you can answer? The game already has several forms of blocks that can be painted with different textures from different sides. My favorites are the forms of "destruction". Do you think it is possible to add buffets and various containers with such shapes to the game? I think then it would be possible to diversify the interiors more by using standard paints separately - for doors, separately - for handles and "holes" between the doors. What do you think?:)

Eh. Probably not. The handles and door gaps are baked into those textures and will look a lot better than just a flat stripe on a shape face IMO.
We'll have to wait and see what the art team wants to do with those. There are plans to update a lot of the textures in game before gold. "MAYBE" we can do something at that point. LOTS of new art coming in A21 to satisfy your decoration needs.

10 hours ago, Jugom said:

hey @Roland, one last question about jars that just came to mind. 
what about the yucca and yucca smoothie recipes?  will they use fresh water now? because that kinda sucks. at least for the regular yucca drink that you were able to get early on when in the desert. 

The yucca juice recipe requires water now. :bolt:

1 hour ago, Roland said:

pure water

Nice ! All the little tricks to get water are gone then (snow, yucca, etc).  I like that.

Another question... did the meat take a balance pass? Meaning less meat from animals, more meat for recipies?

I believe making charred with 10 raw meat could be a sweet little struggle on the first few days. We can always eat veggies, fruits and food cans, right?

On 9/17/2022 at 8:57 AM, Roland said:

They have had a long long time to figure out what works best for their goals and business.

That's why I'm in the mood of "let them alone so that they can get stuff done".

People keep posting elaborate walls of text about some concepts they would like to see in the game, which is good and all,

but I guess we're far beyond that point of development.

There's enough stuff already in progress of getting implemented, and beyond that...well there has to be some cool things left for 8D2D right? 😀

...speaking of concepts btw, I hope you already figured out some A21 date interpretation puzzle thingy that we can scratch our brains sore about?

44 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

That's why I'm in the mood of "let them alone so that they can get stuff done".

People keep posting elaborate walls of text about some concepts they would like to see in the game, which is good and all,

but I guess we're far beyond that point of development.

There's enough stuff already in progress of getting implemented, and beyond that...well there has to be some cool things left for 8D2D right? 😀

...speaking of concepts btw, I hope you already figured out some A21 date interpretation puzzle thingy that we can scratch our brains sore about?

I'm sure Roland is racking his brain to top his "Everdeen" puzzle.  He is probably wants to make sure whatever feature he will elude too won't slip to A22...😅

On 9/18/2022 at 9:23 PM, schwanz9000 said:

Eh. Probably not. The handles and door gaps are baked into those textures and will look a lot better than just a flat stripe on a shape face IMO.
We'll have to wait and see what the art team wants to do with those. There are plans to update a lot of the textures in game before gold. "MAYBE" we can do something at that point. LOTS of new art coming in A21 to satisfy your decoration needs.

Well... are art team thinking about making skeletons props maybe? 😅

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

I may be missing something in the game, but I haven't seen anything on it, but any plan to return the ability to make solar panels and cells by the players?

I enjoy setting up a base with doors that open via motion cameras and running it all on solar with battery banks, but having to purchase the solar can be frustrating as you have to wait till they are available.

Otherwise keep up the great work, myself and friends are looking forward to seeing what else is coming! 

8 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

1.How many new Tier 5 POI or otherwise can you confirm as implemented in a21 ?

2.And another question: Did you guys made some new underground POI for a21? 

3. What is your favourite "not yours"  a21 POI? 

1. Can't say just yet.  Weather report looks good though...😅

2. Nothing extensive planned.  However, there are a few surprises not yet revealed.

3. Don't have a favorite, but that Burgerneer POI recently shown on Twitter is a fun experience.  Lots of clever use of shapes and textures.