Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, Aldranon said:

If it's like A20, then it will be about a month after the dev stream before fans get their hands on it.

Edit: Wait dev stream in Nov and released in Dec, or am I getting old?

For A20 it was first dev stream early September and exp release mid Decemeber

The first A20 dev stream was Sep 11 and the experimental was released on Dec 6.  I asked Faatal a few months ago about the expected timing for A21 and at that time he said he expects the timeframe from first dev stream to experimental to be shorter but didn't elaborate as to how much shorter.  And maybe things have changed since then. Here's to hoping they give some vague timeframe for experimental during the first dev stream.

22 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

please start these streams on time, bugs the crap out of me when they start late. If you say it begins at 9PM, it needs to begin at 9PM. Test the streaming stuff out earlier to ensure it all works. Respect your fans by being on time.

thank you

...and now you wasted your shot with your premature demand.

Dammit, some people just don't have a sense for correct timing.

😄

I take it the armor overhaul or however it's framed that showcased a bunch of different armor/outfit sets in that first set of A21 dev streams way back when (almost 2 years ago now) is on the back burner for now?  Given the wording of the OP, sounds like we're getting updated art for the iron and military sets for A21.

Have to say I wasn't a fan of some of the concepts (namely the int armor set) but some of them were pretty good (the maurader or w/e set that had a big barter bonus as a final set bonus).  Fan of the whole set bonus idea altho keeping the sets "balanced" could be a fun endeavor (the magazine sets send their regards).

Edited by Kazgrel
Typo (see edit history)

Need a much better release date than just saying 2023, since we waited over a year already.  I am waiting to finish my mods so I can play with my family and friends.  But waiting until the patch.  Are you talking 2-4 months or 5-8 months?

31 minutes ago, tdevine said:

Need a much better release date than just saying 2023, since we waited over a year already.  I am waiting to finish my mods so I can play with my family and friends.  But waiting until the patch.  Are you talking 2-4 months or 5-8 months?

If I were you, I wouldn`t mind working on my own mods, no matter the release date the of next alpha.

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Kazgrel said:

I take it the armor overhaul or however it's framed that showcased a bunch of different armor/outfit sets in that first set of A21 dev streams way back when (almost 2 years ago now) is on the back burner for now?  Given the wording of the OP, sounds like we're getting updated art for the iron and military sets for A21.

Have to say I wasn't a fan of some of the concepts (namely the int armor set) but some of them were pretty good (the maurader or w/e set that had a big barter bonus as a final set bonus).  Fan of the whole set bonus idea altho keeping the sets "balanced" could be a fun endeavor (the magazine sets send their regards).

Yeah, the armor/clothing overhaul is on the backburner. I know a lot of people didn't care for it, so they may be looking at a better way of doing it, if they still decide to.

Personally, I didn't care for the ones presented, since they did not at all work with my own preferred playstyle. But that's just my own personal opinion. I'm not against sets and set bonuses as an idea.

13 hours ago, Old Crow said:

Yeah, the armor/clothing overhaul is on the backburner. I know a lot of people didn't care for it, so they may be looking at a better way of doing it, if they still decide to.

Personally, I didn't care for the ones presented, since they did not at all work with my own preferred playstyle. But that's just my own personal opinion. I'm not against sets and set bonuses as an idea.

I like sets and the set bonuses.
I just didn't want to lose equipment slots on our characters.

The additional slots add to immersion and serve as a host for potentially more stat bonuses...even if they were mostly just environmental bonuses....poncho keeps you dry, shirt keeps you warmer, etc. More interesting bonuses could be found on rare items.... Lucky Bowling Shirt (+10 loot bonus), Thinking Cap (+10% exp bonus), etc.
Keep the existing slots. Don't waste time trying to render graphics for competing slots if that's a problem. Pick one (the logically outermost?) and go with it. That should avoid the pain in the butt about wearing a poncho, shirt and leather armor all at the same time. 

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

Edited by Morloc (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, Allgudmate said:

Looking forward to the dev streams! Will some 7dtd-youtubers get early access as well?

For all past Alpha releases, that happens the weekend before release of the first experimental iteration. Standard practice is bunch of dev streams, streamer weekend, general release to Steam on the Monday. I see no reason this one is going to be any different.

Back to clothes.

In my perfect world clothes would look more current day but varying degrees of worn.

Id like higher tier stuff to generally look more new/clean

I’d like armors to look more like pieces stuck together, maybe skins to change their looks slightly.

I’d like there to be tons of choices of shirts, pants, coats, sweaters or sweatshirts, shoes, hats and whatever else.

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Back to clothes.

In my perfect world clothes would look more current day but varying degrees of worn.

Id like higher tier stuff to generally look more new/clean

I’d like armors to look more like pieces stuck together, maybe skins to change their looks slightly.

I’d like there to be tons of choices of shirts, pants, coats, sweaters or sweatshirts, shoes, hats and whatever else.

Honestly, the number of choices in clothing already feel too much to me.  😁

I like that if I'm playing something like an MMO, where you want to look different from everyone.  With this game being normally 8 people or less, with many playing only single player, it isn't as necessary.  But I don't really care too much. Clothing already doesn't stack, so more variety won't take more space.

7 hours ago, bdubyah said:

Not even a forum post here about the Dev Streams? That new super mod is slacking...

6 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

No. It's just that Roland's super mod power was speed, while Crater's super mod power is invisibility. :heh:

Both of our super powers was and is to do wtf we are told to do...lmao...

If CC hasn't posted the announcement for the Streamer Weekend then it is simply because he hasn't been directed to do so yet. 

The last thing I want anyone (especially my wife) to think is that I take or have ever taken initiative on my own. That just leads to expectations of things like work and even worse....work ethic.... ;)

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, Roland said:

If CC hasn't posted the announcement for the Streamer Weekend then it is simply because he hasn't been directed to do so yet. 

The last thing I want anyone (especially my wife) to think is that I take or have ever taken initiative on my own. That just leads to expectations of things like work and even worse....work ethic.... ;)

Hah. Well, if it's already been announced I don't see how it would be an issue to just post it here.

I see there is a gas pump in the trader compound.

Would be cool if that wasn't just a decoration, but a real working one, so we can drive next to it, pay the trader for gas and then fill 'er up outside.

...one of those things that I feel have that "natural logic" to them.

In addition, I think producing gas youself is waaay to easy atm, so that should become harder to get/make...or you pay a fair amount of money to the trader to stay mobile?

Can somebody please put these as a question in the dev stream (I won't be able to participate)

...or if you don't mind, feel free to answer it right here 🙂

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Roland said:

The dev streams, not the streamer weekend...

But nice to get further confirmation the streamer weekend is happening haha