Hos is this suppose to be fun?

~Kevin~

Almost back to my base, hit a zombie a few times with my club, stamina is out, feral zombie runs up to me, hits me several times and I die.   I can't run nor can I fight back because I am out of stamina.  I respawn, go back to my pack, and there are the zombies guarding my pack.  

Rather than making the game more fun and enjoyable pimps has turned it into a grind of frustration.  I play games to be entertained, to pass the time, and not for the frustration of it.

From my steam account - Play time 1,552.9 hours

Screw this, I am going back to Alpha 16.

21 minutes ago, ~Kevin~ said:

Almost back to my base, hit a zombie a few times with my club, stamina is out, feral zombie runs up to me, hits me several times and I die.   I can't run nor can I fight back because I am out of stamina.  I respawn, go back to my pack, and there are the zombies guarding my pack.  

Rather than making the game more fun and enjoyable pimps has turned it into a grind of frustration.  I play games to be entertained, to pass the time, and not for the frustration of it.

lol, sounds like you had a bad day. By all means, go home crying. At least you can't take the ball home with you so we can all keep playing.

@%$# happens 😆

That's why i usually play with drop bag only on death. 

My guns will be without ammo but my melee will help recovery my bag.

I prefer to ramp up the difficulty (warrior + x2 zombies modlet) but have a help mechanism (drop bag only) in case of death spiral.

24 minutes ago, ~Kevin~ said:

Almost back to my base, hit a zombie a few times with my club, stamina is out, feral zombie runs up to me, hits me several times and I die. 

So, you didn't confirm stamina level or surrounding threats before engaging in a fight with only a club as a weapon?

image.png.406e6d915be4677e85b18ab5c1decd73.png

29 minutes ago, ~Kevin~ said:

I find the best way to manage stamina is to stop running all over the place, adjusting difficulty, learning how to use melee weapons and figuring out how specific zombies move so you don't miss your target.

You get bonus points if you put perks into sexual tyrannosaurus like you're supposed to for melee weapons. As well as the weapon your using. If you're seeing ferals on day one at nighttime, have you tried running away?

You also have access to pipe weapons, you should try using them and everything else the game offers. Like coffee, fortbites, skull crushes, and anything that buffs your character of which you'll find use for.

Edited by Darklegend222 (see edit history)

Sounds like a pretty normal day 1 / night 1 to me. I have 3k+ hours and I still tend to pretend I have some really important inventory management to do for the first night, I just can't leave my boxes alone.. they just happen to be in a place not reachable by the night-long efforts of a dire wolf :)

Re.: Stamina advice, be very very wary of using power attacks. The implementation makes them look "just as cheap" as the normal attacks, but they cost couple seconds of regen, which is around 20 depending on your thirst and buffs. That alone can and will mess you up royally, that's a couple seconds of free delicious survivor buffet for the night life.

2 hours ago, ~Kevin~ said:

Too proud to turn down the difficulty?

I'd expect someone with 1500+ hours on the game would know how to play it well.

You just suck at planning and approching threats, this isnt the game's nor the Pimps fault. That's all. And going to a lesser A16 wont change the fact that you suck at it. 

Never had a problem in this game. I like it, it's my perfect zombie game. Only frustration sometimes can be the grind itself, finding antibiotics and certain higher tier resources. Gun parts are a pain in the ass, tool parts, acid is a pain in the ass and much more. Hours after hours of looting with minimal success, grinding resources, grinding the concrete to build your base then repair it with the resources you will be grinding again. I play for up to 12 hours a day a single session and every single mechanic in this game is burned into my brain and muscle memory that deeply I potentially have mastered everything about it, but yeah progression is slow in this game, as if it was made for NEETs who never leave their room 24/7.

Edited by DominionZA (see edit history)

19 hours ago, ~Kevin~ said:

Going back to Alpha 16 is not a bad idea, but not for the reasons you state.

Early game you need to pay attention to a lot of things before entering a fight now. A bow is a must the first few days, no matter what kind of build you wanna play, it allows you to deal damage without using stamina. A bone knife is also very helpfull early on due to it´s bleeding effect and power attacks only costing 10 stamina.

Challenge is good. If the early days are easy the whole game gets even easier once you progress. Wich makes it boring.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

I am a wimp player. Mostly I hang at the base and only come out when I have to. I do some questing and avoid the fetch or clear quests because I hate to die. That said, if I want a game where I never die, I'll go play stardew valley or farmville or even minecraft. I do die more often in A20 than I am used to, but the danger makes the game fun, otherwise it is just minecraft. 

If there are no consequences, then you might as well play a game that doesn't encourage a learning curve in order to figure out how to survive. The stamina thing is zombies 101, if you are too tired from running to lift your weapon (which requires stamina) you are screwed.  That isn't bad game mechanics, it is a consequence of having consequences in the game. Hubby and I have a combined 8000 hours in the game since like A14. A20 is a natural progression. 

You know, you can mod the stamina thing, but that takes effort... /endsnark

Edited by Ianua
spelling error (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, Ianua said:

I am a wimp player. Mostly I hang at the base and only come out when I have to. I do some questing and avoid the fetch or clear quests because I hate to die. That said, if I want a game where I never die, I'll go play stardew valley or farmville or even minecraft. I do die more often in A20 than I am used to, but the danger makes the game fun, otherwise it is just minecraft. 

If there are no consequences, then you might as well play a game that doesn't encourage a learning curve in order to figure out how to survive. The stamina thing is zombies 101, if you are too tired from running to lift your weapon (which requires stamina) you are screwed.  That isn't bad game mechanics, it is a consequence of having consequences in the game. Hubby and I have a combined 8000 hours in the game since like A14. A20 is a natural progression. 

You know, you can mod the stamina thing, but that takes effort... /endsnark

I wouldn't say wimp player at all.  Just trying to survive a survival game.  My style of play is if I die once, the game is deleted and I restart with a new map seed.  In 19 under default settings I made it to day 81 in the wasteland until the game glitched and I fell over dead lol.  So far in 20 I set the game to insane, and survived the forest pretty easily until day 12 or so, then got careless and trapped in a tight spot,  you know the result of that 🙂

So now I'm doing the same but wasteland, and it is quite the challenge!  Getting my ass kicked left and right but lots of fun.

2 hours ago, ChickenWings said:

I wouldn't say wimp player at all.  Just trying to survive a survival game.  My style of play is if I die once, the game is deleted and I restart with a new map seed.  In 19 under default settings I made it to day 81 in the wasteland until the game glitched and I fell over dead lol.  So far in 20 I set the game to insane, and survived the forest pretty easily until day 12 or so, then got careless and trapped in a tight spot,  you know the result of that 🙂

So now I'm doing the same but wasteland, and it is quite the challenge!  Getting my ass kicked left and right but lots of fun.

A save deletion option could be an possibility. If I do die, I can't bring myself to delete my save. I have accomplished way too much, and that would mean I have to painfully grind one full week all over again to reach the stage where I was. I'm not sure about permadeath at the moment. For now they need to make death have more consequences, it is way too light now. You can just easily kill yourself if you are infected or have broken arms. why bother sacrificing time waiting for your 30 minute splint or endlessly searching for medicine. though I hate seeing my death count rise from 0 to 1. Can't stand having to look at that number 1 whenever I open my stats page. I'd smash the screen for that.

I very rarely die nowadays, last time I died was around a week or two ago I think by accidently eating glass. and the last time before that, I do not even remember anymore as it was too long ago

Edited by DominionZA (see edit history)

On 12/23/2021 at 11:12 AM, ~Kevin~ said:

So lemme see if I am catching this framing correctly:

You're frustrated because the game is working as intended.. properly.. in a common scenario that WE ALL have had to deal with, and you have over 1.6K hours in game, and it's the Pimps fault for giving you a very typical day-in-the-life-of-the-zombie-apocalypse?

Me?  I'm literally planning ahead for my MP wasteland base and I expect to never have a moments peace.  I expect round the clock shenanigans in a place where I think mining locally is going to be a nightmare.  I am likely going to ask my friends constantly to be my bodyguard while doing so.

But hey, you do you Boo-boo.

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)

To be fair, he also posted this when a20 first dropped:

He said a20 was the best since a16, but not as good as a16 and that after a month or so he'd go back to a16. So this was more of a status update than anything.

But seriously guy, are you 12? You made some terrible decisions and had to come here to cry about it? Play smarter next time. Or stay in a16 with its half-broken AI so you don't have to worry about it.

On 12/24/2021 at 6:37 AM, Hameshy said:

@%$# happens 😆

That's why i usually play with drop bag only on death. 

My guns will be without ammo but my melee will help recovery my bag.

I prefer to ramp up the difficulty (warrior + x2 zombies modlet) but have a help mechanism (drop bag only) in case of death spiral.

yeah i agree with this. I think this should be the default tbh, losing everything just sucks so hard, and only having what is loaded in your guns is already enough of a drawback. Making the game more punishing can give that sense of dread and fear that really makes it fun to play, but it can just make you ragequit.

This game has probably given me the highest highs and lowest lows in gaming. Looting a fresh city, getting all the t6 loot you wanted and running back to base only to get sniped by an enemy player is aggrivating as hell, 2 hrs or more wasted in a second. But when you are the one sniping someone and stealing their loot damn does it feel good.

Keeping what is most important on your toolbelt though is probably the best middle ground so you dont just revert to the stone age, but you dont just suicide to teleport back home.

On 12/24/2021 at 6:12 AM, ~Kevin~ said:

Manage your stamina better, there are risks associated with blowing all your stam on melee fighting vs using it to run. the tradeoffs exist to drive decision making with the resources you have. You used your stam to save ammo and time and gain xp, the tradeoff was not being able to run away when you needed to.

Thats entirely on you though.

5 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

yeah i agree with this. I think this should be the default tbh, losing everything just sucks so hard, and only having what is loaded in your guns is already enough of a drawback.

I started doing this a while back. I still hate dying so it's not like I throw myself at zombies but if I DO die, having whatever is in my belt helps me avoid the potential "death loop" while trying to get my stuff back. Also, once I've got a permanent home, I don't drop bedrolls when I travel. My bed at home is my only bed. Personal preference. So if I die, chances are I've got some ground to cover to get back to where I was. (Also provides an extra incentive to be super aware when the clock goes past 21:30 because I really don't like waiting till morning to go get my stuff. LOL)

Plus it makes me pay attention to what's on my belt at all times.