A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

Ok I hope Alpha20 will be ready for release soon. but I did see the new rubble models and I gotta say despite the large amounts of time between releases TFP you guys are really killing it with the new stuff. Keep up the amazing work yall.

Just now, The Civillian said:

One thing I love at the moment is modding my hat to a baseball cap XD

Will it be possible to do this with all armour?

So Like modding the miner trousers to look like shorts etc.

And or the ability to hide armour. Like gloves or coat ofr example. (Or all of it, naked run XD)

I'm pretty sure madmole said a while back that the apparel helmet mods (cowboy hat, baseball cap, etc.) will be removed in A21 once the outfits are introduced.

21 minutes ago, Survager said:

One of my folower find a bug in new block 😂

01-1.thumb.jpg.4688edf96ac759dc2bf34825467b0c8d.jpg

I found a bug too!

You have an awfully wrong shaped body if when looking down you only see the wrist to fingers of your hands. Perspective makes it seem like you eyes are in your chest.

come on man 

32 minutes ago, Survager said:

That's to be expected, I mean making such a random pile of rubble seamless would be tough . Tweaking the placement is the easiest way to avoid the clipping.

Call me crazy but .. wouldn't it be way more resource efficient (for artists) to make a couple basic zombie models based off the player model (naked or with underwear) and dress them in randomly generated vanilla cloths that already work on player models and that already exist in the game? That would give much more randomization. 

19 minutes ago, JStanleyF said:

Call me crazy but .. wouldn't it be way more resource efficient (for artists) to make a couple basic zombie models based off the player model (naked or with underwear) and dress them in randomly generated vanilla cloths that already work on player models and that already exist in the game? That would give much more randomization. 

LOL! You really never heard about UMA, don't you? :nerd:

4 hours ago, JStanleyF said:

I actually never heard of that mod lol. Nice.

Not a mod, a feature of Unity. TFP were working with it some years ago to do exactly what you're describing, it was even in a few public builds IIRC. It turned out to be super-inefficient and a big resource hog, unfortunately, something to do with how the engine is written (that is, Unity has to fix it. And not a quick fix either.) 

11 hours ago, Survager said:

Oh my god you're right! This is awful, an absolute tragedy! Completely unacceptable and immersion breaking, look at it! How was this overlooked?! Nope, they've gotta redesign this entire deco piece. It has to be redone from the ground up. 😜 :heh:

26 minutes ago, FranticDan said:

I'd like to see a toggle option added for auto-standing from crouching when you start to sprint. Yes this will mean you can't sprint sneak if you turn this option on, but it'll mean you can run away and survive instead of dying because you're in a panic and accidently crouch while trying to run away. (the sprint and crouch keys are right next to each other after all)

Games are meant to in some way challenge you. Meaning that if something is mechanically difficult (pressing the correct key while under pressure) then it creates a skill division between people who can keep their calm and press the right keys and the people who can't. Which is player skill progression where you learn to not panic and stay cool. they shouldn't remove a feature just because it depends on an IRL skill. Panicking is a real thing you have to contend with in games (and in real life lol) where you die quickly. If the pressure of the game is really SOOOO crushing that you just start punching the left side of your keyboard whenever you see a zombie moving towards you then I would like to point out that you can re-map almost every key in the game and move the keys away from each other.

46 minutes ago, IzPrebuilt said:

Games are meant to in some way challenge you. Meaning that if something is mechanically difficult (pressing the correct key while under pressure) then it creates a skill division between people who can keep their calm and press the right keys and the people who can't. Which is player skill progression where you learn to not panic and stay cool. they shouldn't remove a feature just because it depends on an IRL skill. Panicking is a real thing you have to contend with in games (and in real life lol) where you die quickly. If the pressure of the game is really SOOOO crushing that you just start punching the left side of your keyboard whenever you see a zombie moving towards you then I would like to point out that you can re-map almost every key in the game and move the keys away from each other.

Sure, but there is also the thing that you might not be aware whether you are crouched or not. You can argue about both being about skill. But also those are very artificial skills because in reality you always know if you are crouched or not and you never need to press specific keys to stand up.

I hit the wrong keys from time to time even when I'm not under pressure and it is the question whether that should be an important skill check in the game.

A disadvantage of the proposed change though is that running while being stealthed is probably a much used mode while traversing medium distances in POIs.

I would propose a more conspicuous display of stealth mode. My main problem with all those icons on the lower left side (including the very important health and stamina bars) is that I can't keep them in view and 4-5 years of "training" has not improved the situation one bit. My dream would be that stealth mode paints a timeline display showing your noise over time directly above the toolbelt. Hard to miss and shows the most critical information to a stealther.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

My main problem with all those icons on the lower left side (including the very important health and stamina bars) is that I can't keep them in view and 4-5 years of "training" has not improved the situation one bit.

Git gud dude!

5 hours ago, IzPrebuilt said:

You are not entirely right, as the problem really exists.
The problem is that we have two buttons for stealth.
The first button (CTRL) puts the player in stealth with a single press, and the second button (C) keeps the player in stealth while the player keeps this button pressed.

@madmole @faatal @meganoth

It would be nice if the player, after switching to permanent stealth (CTRL), could cancel permanent stealth by pressing the "C" button, which is responsible for temporary stealth, and not must to remember which of these two buttons is responsible for which stealth option.

Don't you think so?

I have played more than 3000 hours and I still sometimes get confused about these stealth 😅

Edited by Survager (see edit history)

5 hours ago, IzPrebuilt said:

I agree with you but the person who made the original comment is literally named "FranticDan". You expect a guy called @FranticDan to be calm? 🤔🙂

6 hours ago, IzPrebuilt said:

I play with nightmare speed, so yes, of course I'm going to panic and tense up when bikers are coming towards me from around the corner, especially rad bikers, they can kill you within a couple of seconds

In response to what meganoth said "A disadvantage of the proposed change though is that running while being stealthed is probably a much used mode while traversing medium distances in POIs."

My idea is having the toggle option in the settings, so you can enable or disable the auto stand up. A player who likes stealth will have it turned off, while a player like me who rarely uses stealth will have the option turned on

Edited by FranticDan (see edit history)