A19 the graphics update. kinda boring. hope 20 is better

I am not a fan of this update. sure it has some minor QoL improvements for certain things like people who use the spear, the digging circle thing makes the dig quest a bit more tolerable and that's about it. Content wise nothing was really added to make me want to dive in like alpha 18 did. i reached day 12 at 90 min days, Nomad difficulty, 64 horde night count and im kinda bored. unlike with alpha 18 where i got into day 93 at with those same settings before a bit of boredom kicked in and i switched over to mods. i don't feel anything was added that makes me want to keep playing for hours on end like alpha 18 did. All i see people say is how nice the graphics are, how its nice progressions is slowed down and that's about it. 

To me this was just a huge graphics update and with a sprinkle of QoL improvements. Considering the time between alpha 18s release and alpha 19s release content wise we did'nt get much of anything. No i don't consider a few new PoI's or some small changes to skills all that huge like some folks are going nuts over. i would have preferred the bandits, some different quests, the duke stuff added in something major addded content wise that would make me want to explore and do the trader quests and have fun. 

I have better hopes for alpha 20 since all this other stuff is out of the way and TFP can focus on getting out the bandits and all the other major content that got skipped over for this graphics stuff. i do appreciate all the hard work they did and i do enjoy the game but alpha 19 to me doesn't have anything in it that will keep a lot of the people who have a few hundred or thousand hours that interested in it like alpha 18 did and this its a new alpha stuff will fade over in a few days  once folks start seeing that not much was added in.   

12 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

i reached day 12 at 90 min days, Nomad difficulty, 64 horde night count and im kinda bored.

I would be bored as well with this settings.  90 Minutes is for beginners.
Switch to 40 or 60 max and to survivalist at least. Then reconsider.

If the horde night is too short for you, then you can switch on horde night to 120 minutes.

If you just miss the bandits, you can edit the xml. They are working with a few changes. we already used them in A17 in an event. Even ranged bandits worked very well.

12 hours ago, DerValiser said:

If the horde night is too short for you, then you can switch on horde night to 120 minutes.

If you just miss the bandits, you can edit the xml. They are working with a few changes. we already used them in A17 in an event. Even ranged bandits worked very well.

what you suggest doesnt help with lack of content this isnt an issue of difficulty but an issue of what is fun and exciting..why would I nerf my damage and buff the zombies? Melle already got a massive hit this alpha with all the debuffs zombies can hit you with so now my brawler build is a bit more difficult to play with also I'm not a fan of bullet sponge zombies. I don't cheese zombies and just set up a simple square box with poles like a cage and Melle or shoot zombies. no cheese or other insane methods to trick the AI. those settings were fine for alpha 18 till day 93. also single player I can't stand multiplayer. 90 minutes is fine where I'm not trying to rush through days to get to horde if I wanted that I'd go back to trying horde night every night. 

I'm just going to wait for mods to be updated or make a few changes myself. the progression is fine, same with the food stuff but the lack of content is kinda boring and content is what can make people want to play over and over and for hundreds of hours, oh also mods. 

The game looks a whole lot better than it did in A18. I looked at my graphics and they're set to medium or low for the most part. The game looks just fine to me. This sort of thing is like whiskey and scotch. I like whiskey and hate Scotch you might hate whiskey and like scotch.

Honestly I am not impressed either. The grind to get interesting stuff got longer. Sure it is quite fun to play early game with stone tools, its challenging. But there is nothing that forces me to continue playing. Oh the chest at the end of PoI? yeah great ill get another T1 stuff I can easily craft. Big deal. 

Leveling is slowed significantly too. Great it takes longer to get to the actual fun part - building base. The stone age is stupid. Instead of doubling down on it I think they should scrap it as it does not make sense in post apocalyptic america. Seriously, who would run around with stone tools and blunderbuss?

It would be better if they invested resources to real end game instead of artifically prolonging early game. From what I heard, alpha 20 is going to be vehicle update. I do not think that will pull me in either. Seems I got all I could from this game, until they introduce bandits, bosses and random encounters. 

On 7/2/2020 at 5:11 PM, DerValiser said:

2800 hours in and I still and will forever play at 90 minute days. Not all people take advantage of that free extra time though; some people, like myself, like to take the time to smell the roses. By the logic that you're presenting then 60 minute days, the default setting, is for scrubs and everyone should be playing at 40 minute days max, with 64 max alive, insane difficulty, and nightmare running zombies. The beauty of this game is the options it provides that give the player the choice to customize their experience to however they wish.

(Edit: I'll probably reword this at some point. I didn't mean for it to sound so... well, rude basically.)

Vanilla has always been boring. Even when I first got game, it took only week to understand game started playing overhauls. 

Not much going to be added as they push for gold, except bandits. 

At least since A17, the overhauls have been updated faster.

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

2800 hours in and I still and will forever play at 90 minute days. Not all people take advantage of that free extra time though; some people, like myself, like to take the time to smell the roses. By the logic that you're presenting then 60 minute days, the default setting, is for scrubs and everyone should be playing at 40 minute days max, with 64 max alive, insane difficulty, and nightmare running zombies. The beauty of this game is the options it provides that give the player the choice to customize their experience to however they wish.

(Edit: I'll probably reword this at some point. I didn't mean for it to sound so... well, rude basically.)

I thought what you said was just fine & I completely agree. I'm liking the 90 minute days as this was not an option on console. 60 min was too short but 120 min days was WAY too long. My son plays on 40 min days & he can barely get anything done. 

I'm with you, 90 mins is perfect. I can get stuff accomplished during the day & the regular nights aren't too long and I can craft, level up, plan, & mine. 

I just can't wait till the bloodmoons are tweaked & we get zombies all thru the night, not just shooting the proverbial wad all in one go within the 1st 2 hours. 

Completely unimpressed with the graphics now - they look worse in every way.  Colors are completely cartoonish and unrealistic.  Everything looks grainy and many textures are just flat-out broken.  Frankly it almost looks like software rendering.  FPS is significantly reduced at all detail levels.

I have not even played A19 yet. Just from reading the release notes,  thinking same thing as OP.

Sort of like "Email/text me when bandits are in" is the feeling.

Not even sure going to play a19 at this point, still kicking that can between the ears. Might wait for a20 also.

--Been playing since a15..

There are some nice item detail changes and additions, but sometimes the color is a bit much.   I don't like the new color but it's a matter of taste.  When I worked in R&D at Xerox, we were seriously focused on accurate color reproduction.  At the same time, we were aware that some other copier companies consistently boosted the saturation because home users liked their photos better that way.  This feels like the change that was made with stuff a bit more saturated and cartoonish.  For me the sky is the most jarring.  It can be pretty, but it actually looks more stylized and less realistic.

Speaking of jarring, or jugs.  I'd be happy if TFP could revert  Jen back to her normal self and pull the plug on the inflatable doll they put in her place.  Bonus points for her not wanting to kiss me each time I go to her.  I can get past some of the other dialog like "Your the man", but Jen.  So sad.  

in the houses colour is super..outside sometimes it little 2 much...but its ok, depends where u are

question: when u play at 40 / 60 / 90 min

how do u get enough ammo?

i play at 120min, warrior and 64zombies, respawn time for things 7 days

im day 41 gamestage 95....in the zombienight iv 300zombies now (all variations of zombies are coming)

when the night is finished iv from 1200 ammo sometimes nothing left (plus turret and hammerturret)

Overall I'm a big fan of this update, but it is definitely an "Incremental" update. There's nothing massively new or game changing, but there's a lot of refinements and polish. And honestly? I think that's fine. There's a few blemishes still like overabundant animals and the loot scaling being wonky (I'm still using a stone shovel on day 18 because it's level 6 and objectively better than the level 1-2 iron shovels I can find, and this is the case for most of my gear because high-level Tier One/Zero gear is insanely common and surprisingly good/valuable), but overall I'm enjoying this alpha a lot more.

Condensing skills to make it less of an absurd grind reduces issues I had with the new skill system (though I still wish action skills were present in some form), the new food and water systems work a lot better overall (giving you buffs but reduced efficiency for consuming excess instead of it just overfilling your bar which wasn't intuitive at all), the graphics improvements are very significant though it still definitely needs work, more stuff feels viable and I don't feel pigeonholed nearly as much as I did in A18, and general gameplay just feels much cleaner. A19 brought the game to a state where I would actually recommend people to get into the game rather than wait for more updates, and that's great. Was the update small? Comparatively yes. But it was very welcome nonetheless.

5 hours ago, gwensparkle said:

Speaking of jarring, or jugs.  I'd be happy if TFP could revert  Jen back to her normal self and pull the plug on the inflatable doll they put in her place.  Bonus points for her not wanting to kiss me each time I go to her.  I can get past some of the other dialog like "Your the man", but Jen.  So sad.  

The game is made for hormone oozing teenage boys.  Even the female zeds are just too much.

The single biggest improvement to me was the Random World Gen. The cities are the best and most realistic so far for me. Usually I play Nitrogen worlds, but vanilla is finally feeling really interesting and realistic for the first time in quite a few builds. The Wasteland and Fire biomes are way more atmospheric. Overall the immersion was dialed up in a big way for me and that just means it is going in my preferred direction.

2 hours ago, warmer said:

The single biggest improvement to me was the Random World Gen. The cities are the best and most realistic so far for me. Usually I play Nitrogen worlds, but vanilla is finally feeling really interesting and realistic for the first time in quite a few builds. The Wasteland and Fire biomes are way more atmospheric. Overall the immersion was dialed up in a big way for me and that just means it is going in my preferred direction.

Absolutely agreed, though I have to admit I also like the new graphics + lighting a lot, as I do like the improved combat. (Animations, weapon effects, zombie responses, etc. .) Finally feels really good to me now.

So, while there certainly is more than graphics, that clearly seems to have been a focus. I've said the same since we started getting teases of what was going into it, that it's all amazing. I love the new HD zombies. I think the new POI's with the new assets are simply amazing. 

Playing the game in A19 is smoother, feels more immersive, music better, fighting better. Exploration is richer, more engaging.

At the same time, there are some new cool stuff. Some new weapons, auto shotty, desert vulture, sniper, steel club etc.

However, I've also raised the similar that while I love Alpha 19, it's also more like a "better" Alpha 18, but it lacks the additional new content that would have really set it aside as a great version. It plays essentially like A18 does, and while that's not necessarily bad, it's also not necessarily good enough either. If you want to keep people continually engaged (as opposed to play once and then put on the shelf) there needs to be continual content drops that make people expand their gameplay accordingly, as opposed to "I did it pretty much like before, it was smoother, but essentially the same as before."

But all is not lost!  What I would have recommended, would be to:

1) Put in the junk drone in a patch sooner rather than later. I don't care if it's perfect. Heck, stun baton was broken all of A19, Junk Sledge was broken. New content is always good.

2) It was highlighted on the streams that melee bandits were essentially there. So put them into a POI. Put them into a wandering horde. Ranged not ready? fine. Put in melee bandits. Let us play with them, experience them, and while they might not work as they will later on, who cares? New content wins.

3) It was also mentioned rafts/zombie fish/shark whatever was "almost" there. so put it in. Spend the couple of weeks to get it in, and let players see how "some" of it works now we even have swimming zombies.

More content would make people be happy we had a graphics update AND excited to try new things with new systems, such as simple bandits, simple rafts/water hazard.

Even more so, as 2+3 was mentioned as "almost there" and needing some "glue" to finish off. Superglue it, duct tape it, and get it in for patch 19.2 :)

/Ved :)

Archived