Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

8 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I heard you once talking about something called "raycast" to check collisions?

Can't you do that TOP + 360° around within 5 blocks from the player each time he places a block down?

With TOP being a "must check" (roof) and the blocks around the player needing a minimum count maybe?

But I see it mustn't be easy at all...

I'm not a dev so I might have misunderstood completely, sorry.

I have thought about doing brute force raycasts, but raycasts are not free and you would have to do hundreds or thousands of them and may still miss holes or things just out of range. If you built a big 10x10x10 or 20x20x20 room, but left off a wall are you inside? It would block some wind or rain, but you would still freeze if it was not fully enclosed. Say you built walls of center poles, columns or other partial block shapes, they would probably be seen as solid, yet they are full of holes and not really make you inside.

4 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Does anyone have a solution on how I can get Steam to trigger the update for 7D2D? It usually does it automatically for me, but I'm still on b173

usually its a simple logout login for most games. I myself just had issues logging back in so you can try but its a gamble

2 minutes ago, faatal said:

I have thought about doing brute force raycasts, but raycasts are not free and you would have to do hundreds or thousands of them and may still miss holes or things just out of range. If you built a big 10x10x10 or 20x20x20 room, but left off a wall are you inside? It would block some wind or rain, but you would still freeze if it was not fully enclosed. Say you built walls of center poles, columns or other partial block shapes, they would probably be seen as solid, yet they are full of holes and not really make you inside.

Well the issue isn't so much vertical blocks like walls ... but more horizontal blocks, like ceilings.  Is there a way to set it so if a horizontal block is in a group of say a total of 9 (3x3) that it blocks precipitation (rain and snow) directly underneath said blocks?

The issue isn't so much with temperature blocking features but with precipitation blocking.  yes, people could game the system with things like bars that would block the rain when they're not supposed to unless you edited the precipitation blocking features of each block which would be a pain in the rump ... but it'd be better having some blocks blocking rain that shouldn't than having no blocks preventing rain when they should.

If that makes any sense.

5 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Does anyone have a solution on how I can get Steam to trigger the update for 7D2D? It usually does it automatically for me, but I'm still on b173

Go to your steam library, the game should be listed in blue (showing there is an update pending).  Then click the game and click the update icon.  (Sorry, I can't show you 7 days because it's already updated.

image.png.10269a0de975fc01f92e03f4e119e31f.png

4 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

Well the issue isn't so much vertical blocks like walls ... but more horizontal blocks, like ceilings.  Is there a way to set it so if a horizontal block is in a group of say a total of 9 (3x3) that it blocks precipitation (rain and snow) directly underneath said blocks?

The issue isn't so much with temperature blocking features but with precipitation blocking.  yes, people could game the system with things like bars that would block the rain when they're not supposed to unless you edited the precipitation blocking features of each block which would be a pain in the rump ... but it'd be better having some blocks blocking rain that shouldn't than having no blocks preventing rain when they should.

If that makes any sense.

Go to your steam library, the game should be listed in blue (showing there is an update pending).  Then click the game and click the update icon.  (Sorry, I can't show you 7 days because it's already updated.

image.png.10269a0de975fc01f92e03f4e119e31f.png

*Slap to my forehead* Thanks. :)

I always miss the obvious...

Just a random on the Rain/Snow bit, but didn't someone just mention turning down the number of particles(?) to like 150?

Anyway that the rain snow drops could be projectiles? Then the existing collision boxes would block/allow the drops through..

Might also open up the possibility of Hail causing player damage.

Just now, Jecks said:

Any possibility to bring in Zombie children? With the different scaling size of the various zombies, I don't think it would be hard, and it might make the school buildings a little more trippy.

That's been a solid "no" forever. Though there may have been mention of possibly a very short statured fully adult zed.

I know someone mentioned somehow some blocks being able to be "containers" for other blocks so you can have multiple voxels or something? I don't really remember the terminology. But if that became a thing then maybe one of the blocks that fits in the other blocks could be a roof block that will prevent rain, snow, etc. 

I am not at all a game developer so that could be a terrible suggestion and I won't be offended if I'm told so. 

22 minutes ago, Jecks said:

Any possibility to bring in Zombie children? With the different scaling size of the various zombies, I don't think it would be hard, and it might make the school buildings a little more trippy.

There are, or were, some mods with child zeds.  I played it once and only once.  It was way beyond creepy.  I'm all for live and let live and play the way you want ... but that was way outside my comfort box.  

I'm not one to say put in this feature or that feature or I'll quit forever ... but I think child zombies in the vanilla game would be where I would have to draw the line in reinforced concrete.

Luckily, I believe the pimps' stance has always been, and will hopefully continue to be, no child zombies.  

But if you truly feel the need to be a child murderer, then look for the appropriate mods.

28 minutes ago, Jecks said:

I guess some people have moral issues with it. I don't. To me, I don't care what shape, age, sex, creature etc becomes zombified... it is no longer what it once was. It is now a zombie, and must die. However, I do think it looks cheesy. I have yet to see a single movie or show where someone successfully makes a zombie child and it actually looks believable and scary. Maybe for others, it's scary as hell... but for me, it always looks really stupid.
Madmole did say, "No child zombies are coming. Something small perhaps." Hoping for that.

6 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

I guess some people have moral issues with it. I don't. To me, I don't care what shape, age, sex, creature etc becomes zombified... it is no longer what it once was. It is now a zombie, and must die. However, I do think it looks cheesy. I have yet to see a single movie or show where someone successfully makes a zombie child and it actually looks believable and scary. Maybe for others, it's scary as hell... but for me, it always looks really stupid.
Madmole did say, "No child zombies are coming. Something small perhaps." Hoping for that.

There are some countries with very solid laws against it. I don't recall exactly which but I'm thinking China is one of them and that's a big market.

In regards to the back pack sort buttons.  Is there any way to lock spaces not to be moved?   Speaking for myself, I typically keep ammo for instance in my pack and don't want to unload my 7.62 for instance just because I'm unloading all the other ammo I collected while looting.  If there isn't it's kinda a pain to use if I just have to put back the items I want to carry.  I'm afraid to use the mod I've been using for years that has this option as it may muck things up now that you've added some of the options it has.

3 minutes ago, Exxodous said:

In regards to the back pack sort buttons.  Is there any way to lock spaces not to be moved?   Speaking for myself, I typically keep ammo for instance in my pack and don't want to unload my 7.62 for instance just because I'm unloading all the other ammo I collected while looting.  If there isn't it's kinda a pain to use if I just have to put back the items I want to carry.  I'm afraid to use the mod I've been using for years that has this option as it may muck things up now that you've added some of the options it has.

Yea Idk why TFP only included part of the code for it but Khaine has updated his mod so the slots are lockable using that.

8 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

They did shrink Arlene down I think and the crawler is pretty small.  Maybe one of the special infected will by a shorty...😅

Speaking of shows, I still remember one of the 1st episodes of TWD where Rick takes out that zombie child.  I would imagine it has a greater emotional impact on those who have children...

8 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

Yea Idk why TFP only included part of the code for it but Khaine has updated his mod so the slots are lockable using that.

SWEET!!  Thanks!  Without locking slots it was a pain for me.  Hopefully they will add that too at some point.

13 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

They did shrink Arlene down I think and the crawler is pretty small.  Maybe one of the special infected will by a shorty...😅

Speaking of shows, I still remember one of the 1st episodes of TWD where Rick takes out that zombie child.  I would imagine it has a greater emotional impact on those who have children...

Maybe. I have 3 kids, 2 step-kids, three grandchildren, a dog, and two cats. It never once in my life crossed my mind that I would think of myself as a murderer for killing a child zombie but not an adult one. I would definitely feel emotional watching a child turn. It's the same as watching a child die. If it happened to my own kids, I would probably have to have someone else do it for me... but I would hope someone would do it for me. I couldn't let my child's body be used after death for more death by a virus, fungus, supernatural force, or anything.

But staying on topic, regarding the smaller zombie... I just want something that can squeeze through small openings. Some creature crawling on walls and ceilings would be extra awesome.

16 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Maybe. I have 3 kids, 2 step-kids, three grandchildren, a dog, and two cats. It never once in my life crossed my mind that I would think of myself as a murderer for killing a child zombie but not an adult one. I would definitely feel emotional watching a child turn. It's the same as watching a child die. If it happened to my own kids, I would probably have to have someone else do it for me... but I would hope someone would do it for me. I couldn't let my child's body be used after death for more death by a virus, fungus, supernatural force, or anything.

But staying on topic, regarding the smaller zombie... I just want something that can squeeze through small openings. Some creature crawling on walls and ceilings would be extra awesome.

Having the crawler zombie spawning in exposed air vents, dropping down on the player, would be awesome.

3 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Having the crawler zombie spawning in exposed air vents, dropping down on the player, would be awesome.

One thing I love about the game is the level design possibilities with sleepers.  Since the world is 100% destructible and you can paint almost anything immersively, you can put them almost anywhere...😅

3 hours ago, madmole said:

Yes, Coffee is my most essential item in the house.

Of course people could probably scavenge up parts and build a coffee maker, but it wouldn't look like a sweet modern one.

Once we go gold I will make some mods I think, and you build a coffee pot from stuff after finding a schematic and then you need it for actual coffee brewing. I love more workstations but Rick wants to keep the game simple, and I can respect that. So mods can be a great way to tune the game to your own personal tastes. I'd add several more work stations to make players work way harder to do everything.

Not happening, having multiple stack sizes per user would be very problematic to solve. Not even going into why. If pack mule seems underwhelming we'll just lock way more slots at spawn.

That sucks, More work stations would be fun :(   —- it doesnt need to be complicated.  

On 8/3/2020 at 10:08 PM, Daruma said:

More to my point, recent Reddit quote from someone returning to the game after the current patch:

"Are zombies still omniscient with PhDs in Civil Engineering and Physics?"

Edited to add a few more quoted criticisms:

"It used to be a fun crafting/survival game with zombies. Now it's a scramble-to-survive run-and-shoot against corpse-like meth heads."

"In what universe can an uncoordinated, brainless, reanimated corpse hone in on an underground dwelling survivor and dig through stone to find them?"

"Hmmm.. we could go through the portcullis on a headfirst charge, oorrr we COULD run around to the back left corner, hit the rampart by the mountain, knock it over and do a triple back flip off the side to gain entrance on the roof. THEN we could GPS to exactly 0.234455/-1.340499 and dig through the roof! That will land us in the hallway where we can attack that pesky human from behind!"

^ Lol. I feel like I'm reading Tumblr memes, but it's about craziness of the upgraded zombie AI. 😛

"I stopped playing as soon as zombies started digging. Zombies shouldn't be able to dig. And if I want to build an underground complex to avoid them I should be perfectly capable of that. Having the developer intentionally make them dig to counter player builds feels like the developer is intentionally playing the game against us by changing the rules."

And probably the most valid criticism:

"I've gotten the impression that the devs only added the ability to build because other games have it, but want to turn it into more of a run and shoot."

So... it's definitely not just me. And I wouldn't try to lock it down to 2% of the community either. 

Okay.
 I personally invite you to stop playing it if it bothers you so much.
 What's more, I am in charge of giving you back what you paid for this game.
 Tell me your Paypal.

But please, NEVER come back here

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived