Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Just like special infected zombies might be smarter, to help us create an interesting story for players to talk about, how they overcame special infected X and how they deal with SI Y and Z. We can rationalize the radiation kept the infection from rotting their brains as much since they might be more mutated obviously they got radiated.

I like this idea but i don't think all zombies should be "Brain radiation rot"

i think some zombies could have mutations! Like Long claws, Poisonous Gas, quadrupedal Movement, Rage, ETC!

and then some that are "special" because of their Job! like the demolisher! 

also maybe a Zombie that feeds on Blood on both the Living and the Dead! *Cough COUGH Feeder Cough cough*

1 minute ago, SnowDog1942 said:

This is just wrong.

Successful could be determined as a fact by aggregate sales and users/viewers   "Good" is a subjective individual interpretation.

Twilight is obviously"Good" to many people - and they made it successful.  Its just not good to you..... or me.

Each of us individually,  can't determine what is good and expect it to be gospel for everyone.   The most we can do is play a very tiny role its success or failure.

I'll change the phrase then.

Just because something was successful doesn't mean it was well received.

2 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

I like this idea but i don't think all zombies should be "Brain radiation rot"

i think some zombies could have mutations! Like Long claws, Poisonous Gas, quadrupedal Movement, Rage, ETC!

and then some that are "special" because of their Job! like the demolisher! 

... and DaVegaNL

It's like in the one book i was reading on my kobo, when a zombie first turns it is completely dumb, but can see heat almost as if it sees infrared, once they bit into someone they saw the heat leaving the body into themselves, this in turn caused the zombie to regain intellect, once they became "human" again of they fed more they would become faster,stronger and smarter than they were in life, it was an interesting book with the point of view being from survivors and zombies.  That was where i got my idea for zombies attacking heat generating sources such as electricity since it gives off their own heat signature, could make it more challenging and fun.

So there I was, with my master plan:

1) Push Strength until 3 in shotgun and club

2) Push Int (with nerd glasses) until I can build two crucibles, one gyro and one motorcycle.

3) Do Grampa's mind wipe sauce (whatever its called)

4 Never put a point in Int for rest of game!

Win right?  Nope!

I decided, before deleting Intelligence, to play with my tier 5 sledge turret on horde night, as I could now place it at the opening at the perimeter wall and still have it active from were I fight from.

They didn't stand a chance!  I used a bit more than 200 Magnum rounds and less than 20 pipe bombs with about a third of the zombies rad, lots of cops and one Demolisher.

That sledge turret was slamming them against the wall repeatedly, making solo kills, maybe a third of all the kills, going (edit) by the loot bags I found around it.

NOW I WANT TWO TURRETS ACTIVE!  😆

1 hour ago, Xtrakicking said:

I couldn't tell you. All I can tell you is that there is a point where certain additions can get out of hand.

Just because something was successful doesn't mean it was good. Twilight is just an example of that. You can be successful AND good at the same time, why should you settle for Twilight's level of quality?

I'm just going to say that you can do whatever you want as long as you manage to settle your ideas of what you want the game to be. When the game was announced on kickstarter, it seemed like it was definitely leaning towards a classic zombie apocalypse game. Now I'm just concerned it's going to turn into a weird blend between that and Killing Floor 2.

We'll see, I guess.

Like snowdog said, Twilight was good, just not to you or him. I hated it from a traditional lore stand point, but enjoyed the conflicts between vampires and werewolves, Elders having strict rules, each vampire having a possible special gift were all very appealing elements. It had the bones to be excellent but there was cringe factor to swallow but in between that there was some good stuff. Considering how rare good vampire movie content is, I'll take it despite its shortcomings. True blood was fantastic for about 3-4 seasons and then decayed into strange crap. The werewolves vs vampires was interesting, throw in fairies and witches and shapeshifters and it gets a little too crazy to where it feels diluted.

I think it is important for TFP to stay somewhat grounded in traditional zombie lore. I have the special infected designs done and hopefully they aren't too far out there for players to buy into the idea. There are several probably not going into production that might have raised some eyebrows of the immersion/purists but it is better to have more than you need than not enough.

1 hour ago, Xtrakicking said:

I'll change the phrase then.

Just because something was successful doesn't mean it was well received.

It was though. My GF's kids were nuts over it and stood in line for hours to see it on opening night, then bought all the movies once all of them came out. Critics and older audiences maybe not as much. At the end of the day you have to do something different to get noticed. If all we had was boring walkers that weren't a challenge I don't think the game would trigger any emotions, and emotions are what build forever franchises.

Re Oblivion: Oblivion was a great game. Not flawless but a huge open world rich with exploration and interesting characters and quests. I'd be proud AF to have 10% of that quest content in 7 Days. We're not going to be a big RPG though, our team is too small.

18 hours ago, Daruma said:

And I know that is an article from 2016, but seeing as the game is still in alpha and has been since 2013, I think it should have some bearing.

Sorry but no. Any comment from 2016 is meaningless now. It's not even remote;y the same game.

8 minutes ago, madmole said:

Like snowdog said, Twilight was good, just not to you or him. I hated it from a traditional lore stand point, but enjoyed the conflicts between vampires and werewolves, Elders having strict rules, each vampire having a possible special gift were all very appealing elements. It had the bones to be excellent but there was cringe factor to swallow but in between that there was some good stuff. Considering how rare good vampire movie content is, I'll take it despite its shortcomings. True blood was fantastic for about 3-4 seasons and then decayed into strange crap. The werewolves vs vampires was interesting, throw in fairies and witches and shapeshifters and it gets a little too crazy to where it feels diluted.

I think it is important for TFP to stay somewhat grounded in traditional zombie lore. I have the special infected designs done and hopefully they aren't too far out there for players to buy into the idea. There are several probably not going into production that might have raised some eyebrows of the immersion/purists but it is better to have more than you need than not enough.

Sounds super exciting.  I know you mentioned a zombie tank and really curious to see your take on it.  The most memorable zombie tank for me in recent memory is the l4d zombie tank.

Tank-artwork.gif

16 hours ago, Roland said:

Except it wasn’t a sudden addition. Digging zombies was in the game from the start. It was gone for a few alphas and then returned.  Digging zombies have been in more alphas since Kickstarter than they haven’t been. 

Google it!

Lol Roland. Bringing up facts isn't fair!

5 minutes ago, madmole said:

Yeah, I won't deny there were interesting ideas in there, I'm just saying there's a reason why it was so negatively received, and there's a reason why you say you had to swallow cringe worthy scenes.

6 minutes ago, madmole said:

Agreed. Thanks for the response. Let's hope we get a glimpse of those new designs soon.

9 minutes ago, madmole said:

It was though. My GF's kids were nuts over it and stood in line for hours to see it on opening night, then bought all the movies once all of them came out. Critics and older audiences maybe not as much. At the end of the day you have to do something different to get noticed. If all we had was boring walkers that weren't a challenge I don't think the game would trigger any emotions, and emotions are what build forever franchises.

Re Oblivion: Oblivion was a great game. Not flawless but a huge open world rich with exploration and interesting characters and quests. I'd be proud AF to have 10% of that quest content in 7 Days. We're not going to be a big RPG though, our team is too small.

Honestly, I didn't even intend to get into a Twilight debate. It was just an example of many other movies that were successful, yet negatively received (another example: Star Wars prequels); but anyways, like I said, Twilight's general response was negative. Some people liked it, yes, but it was endlessly mocked and ridiculed.

In regards to this game: It is considered one of the best survivals to date, and there's no other zombie game like it. Even back in A1, when you only had "boring walkers", that was the general consensus of this game. Obviously, the fact that there are more things than that is cool, but my point is that the game will still be awesome even if we don't have convoluted and bizarre enemies left and right.

17 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

Honestly, I didn't even intend to get into a Twilight debate. It was just an example of many other movies that were successful, yet negatively received (another example: Star Wars prequels); but anyways, like I said, Twilight's general response was negative. Some people liked it, yes, but it was endlessly mocked and ridiculed.

In regards to this game: It is considered one of the best survivals to date, and there's no other zombie game like it. Even back in A1, when you only had "boring walkers", that was the general consensus of this game. Obviously, the fact that there are more things than that is cool, but my point is that the game will still be awesome even if we don't have convoluted and bizarre enemies left and right.

Generally received negatively can mean anything and can also mean absolutely nothing.  I hate to admit it but I did enjoyed the twilight series despite its main target audience, more so the books as Kristen steward(sp?) can't act for crap.

So in my book (pardon the pun lol) it was good.

Edit: but I get it...you want the game to be great and not just good..

10 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Generally received negatively can mean anything and can also mean absolutely nothing.

Yes, it means it was received negatively by the audience in general.

10 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I hate to admit

Why would you hate to admit it?

10 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

Yes, it means it was received negatively by the audience in general.

Why would you hate to admit it?

Not necessarily, it actually was mixed reviews by critics while audiences rated it at +70% according to rotten tomatoes.  Point being, statements like that are subjective and can be misleading.

Hate to admit it because the target audience are teenagers/people in early 20s lol...

I guess what I'm trying to say is put more weight in your own review instead of relying on others

13 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Hate to admit it because the target audience are teenagers/people in early 20s lol...

Ahh, you're an old fart. Got it. 😛

Anyways, my point is that the negative response towards Twilight was very harsh, and there's a reason for that. Some movies get mixed reviews and don't get bashed like Twilight did. Again, it's just an example out of many others.

13 minutes ago, SittingDuck said:

It sucks that you pick up the seed all the time while you harvest the field. A gardening tool that would deal 0 Damage to seeds would be perfect. Perhaps make the knife the harvesting tool?

i only had that happened to me once! I kinda see why people are angry about it but for me its not a big deal.

Brought this up a quite while ago, but I think it got buried/missed in all the random talk, so I'm going to bring it up again as it's a pretty serious issue IMHO:

Armour piercing seems to be broken. Certain zombies are armoured (Demos, Bikers, Soldiers) and take reduced damage, and armour piercing ammo/penetrator perk is supposed to help with that by reducing the penalty. In A18 this all more or less worked as expected, but in A19 armour pen seems to be completely non functional; in A18 hollow points dealt basically zero damage vs armoured zombies, and armour piercing ammo did more damage to them then regular ammo.

In A19, hollow points deal more damage then regular ammo even to demolishers, and armour piercing ammo deals the exact same as regular ammo (ie the armour piercing coeff doesn't seem to actually apply since they both deal the same base damage). Ranks in penetrator also seem to have no effect at all on the damage dealt vs armoured zombies.

Makes the higher tier armoured zombies very hard to kill, and makes AP ammo much less useful (it's still good for penetrating multiple targets, but that is about it).

Any leaks about when we can expect A19 stable? I know the answer is "when its done" but how many issues are on go? Friends of mine, are playing through GeForce Now (because of no power on the PC) and there are no option to play the A19 through experimental tab. So now we are not playing, and they are still paying for the GeForce Now. Any clues? 

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Sounds super exciting.  I know you mentioned a zombie tank and really curious to see your take on it.  The most memorable zombie tank for me in recent memory is the l4d zombie tank.

Tank-artwork.gif

Yeah we might have some guys with some mutated lumps on them like the fat cop, but this guy will be more humanoid and wield a sledgehammer. Heavily muscled but have some troll/ogre/giant like features. Special infected are considered smarter so tool use is not out of the question. I'm kind of thinking he was a miner slave for the duke. The duke somehow attached the sledgehammer to their arm so they cannot run away nor lose their tool. I have to bounce ideas around yet and get concepts made so none of it is set in stone.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived