madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

48 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Have a separate box where you only collect your essentials and don't put any of that stuff into the general boxes. A bit more management but might work.

is not about collecting my essentials but about dropping my extras after a day outside.
say I usually carry 7.62 ammo and veggie stews. but after a day out I come back with also 9mm ammo, shotgun, some cans, drinks... If I can lock slots, I can drop my extra ammo in one click. if I cannot, I have to manually drop the extras or drop all the ammo and the manually pick up my stack of 7.62. same for the other items in separated boxes... which kind of defeats the purpose.

3 minutes ago, Jugom said:

is not about collecting my essentials but about dropping my extras after a day outside.
say I usually carry 7.62 ammo and veggie stews. but after a day out I come back with also 9mm ammo, shotgun, some cans, drinks... If I can lock slots, I can drop my extra ammo in one click. if I cannot, I have to manually drop the extras or drop all the ammo and the manually pick up my stack of 7.62. same for the other items in separated boxes... which kind of defeats the purpose.

I think locking slots is essential for inventory management. I don't know if anyone has played Terraria before but you can lock\favorite any slots in your backpack which is an awesome feature for when you need to quick stack items leaving those slots untouched. Maybe a lock button at the top? Select your slot and hit the lock icon, not sure how easy that would be to code into the system because I'm no programmer.

Walked out the door of our base house at dawn for the first time since upgrading to the latest version w/out wiping, hear a roar after descending the steps and turn to see a bear had spawned in directly behind me, emptied a full clip of AK47 (lvl 1, no skill points invested, had bought at a trader for 400 Dukes) with probably 2/3rds being headshots, before having to flee across half the town on a bicycle. Bear got caught up on the fence of the small junkyard POI, managed to finish him off with about another dozen bullets. 

I would really like for locked slots to be available. The mod I used has it and I miss this function dearly.

30 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

723316596_7DaystoDieScreenshot2020_08.05-13_10_26.99(2).thumb.png.20535c0875ddcf5ae16a22589969cac9.png

This is the error message, every time I hit "R to loot) .. and have no mods on this game ... yet. Hope this helps.  

And this is on a New Game w b177. using in-game .. RandomGen map maker.

You should submit a bug report.

3 hours ago, madmole said:

Use the store similar button and make sure there isn't 7.62 in that box.

Because kitchen sink features aren't a good thing.

Well see what the telemetrics say about that lol.  My guess is that everyone who knows the option to add the lockable slots back in will do so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Onarr said:

Good work on Bears. Those things are force to be reckoned with - fast, tanky and deadly. The other day I encountered one on day 13. I had a hunting rifle and double barrel shotgun and was feeling confident I can take it.  I scored one sneak headshot from afar and managed to pull of 2 more before it cought up with me. I switched to shotty and emptied both chambers. Bear is alive. @%$*#!. At that point I have like 50HP, so I start running. Oh good I can still outrun him. I took a breather poped painkillers and reloaded my weapons. Hunting rifle, shotgun...Bear is still alive?! I completely panicked as I was mauled to death and quickly tried to switch to melee to at least die swinging. I missclicked and equiped timed charge. Suddenly the bear has C4 atached to his head and is beeping. He looks as suprised as me. Second later he does not look anything as his head is blown off. Oh ok, there is another bear over yonder....I wonder.  Yep, it is confirmed, timed charges bear hunting is a thing. Now I combine it with my stun baton for maximal safety.

I just use a dozen wooden frames and a bow, but this sounds more fun.

Bears seem to be pretty bad at attacking frames for some reason, they get like one attack in every 20 seconds and are just flipping out and spinning the rest of the time.

Posted (edited)

Their are several other people on Steam that are having the same issue with "R" when trying to Loot All .. So something has happened to cause this ... Tried on Old and New Game .. same issue.

I did validate files .. 1 was missing per Steam .. it reacquired it .. BUT Still having the issue.

Everything else is working Fine .. except Loot all 

Edited by gpcstargate (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

Their are several other people on Steam that are having the same issue with "R" when trying to Loot All .. So something has happened to cause this ... Tried on Old and New Game .. same issue.

I did validate files .. 1 was missing per Steam .. it reacquired it .. BUT Still having the issue.

Maybe try re-binding the key? Just a thought.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

Submit a bug report at the link below with your outputlog and all other requested info.  Fastest way to get you help.

https://community.7daystodie.com/bug-test-1/

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

4 hours ago, madmole said:

No way, minecraft has what, 10? I need every slot as is on my belt for efficient harvest. melee weapon, ranged weapon, axe, pickaxe, healing item, shovel, wrench, knife. I'm forgetting something but I need it :)

gear up for the task hand! it's fine though, I thought this was an idea you were pushing a couple alphas ago. Or maybe it was no backpack and having to depend on the tool belt itself and start the game having to do small specific tasks to start.

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

You should revisit your bug report. You didn't include any of the information TFP needs to troubleshoot your problem. There are instructions on what information to include in the pinned post in the Bug Pool subforum.

Edited by Kosmic Kerman (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

You should revisit your bug report. You didn't include any of the information TFP needs to troubleshoot your problem. There are instructions on what information to include in the pinned post in the Bug Pool subforum.

I just Update the info, I missed that part before. Thank you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, madmole said:

No but that modded UI looks really good and he just threw away regard for 4x3 and allows a boatload of space. We were thinking of hiring him if possible.

No way, minecraft has what, 10? I need every slot as is on my belt for efficient harvest. melee weapon, ranged weapon, axe, pickaxe, healing item, shovel, wrench, knife. I'm forgetting something but I need it :)

I remember when 7 Days had 10 slots. I really miss those two slots.

• Like 1

It was nine slots. But the slot we lost is missed as though we lost two. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gpcstargate said:

723316596_7DaystoDieScreenshot2020_08.05-13_10_26.99(2).thumb.png.20535c0875ddcf5ae16a22589969cac9.png

This is the error message, every time I hit "R to loot) .. and have no mods on this game ... yet. Hope this helps.  

And this is on a New Game w b177. using in-game .. RandomGen map maker.

Edit .. Copied from my post on Steam .. 

Both on Old and New Game .. Just Re-Validated .. Steam said 1 missing and reacquired it.

Will go back into game See if it still does it.

EDIT .. STILL DOING IT .. everything else is working fine .. Just when I try to loot with "R" to Loot All.

As much as a pia it is, I personally would do a complete uninstall/reinstall of the game rather than simply updating. Sometimes files aren’t updated/replaced during a simple update process. It used to be a fast thing to uninstall/reinstall when the game was small but now that it’s a few gigs, it takes me about 40 minutes or so. Just my 2 cents....

Edit:  if your game is single player, backup your save. After reinstalling the game, if you still have the issue with your save then you’ll need to start a new seed.

Edited by Star69 (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Roland said:

It was nine slots. But the slot we lost is missed as though we lost two. 

I have two slots you can use. 

;)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Anmerkung_2020-08-05_222339.thumb.png.f845309b3e1f0e7b369891a55329572e.png

Was on my way to a trader in the snowy biome when I have passed a Lumberjack zombie and thought it was a good idea to get off my motorbike and take him out for some XP. A few seconds later I have nearly died, got two criticals and an infection. No idea where those two mountain lions and that wolf came from so fast...

Damn that was intense! Absolutely love the snowy biome. Next savegame my base will be built there. Always good for some action.

@madmole

Order of the three new icons is not consistent (at least motorbike storage container has its own order) what leads to a lot of misclicks. See screenshot.

InkedAnmerkung_2020-08-05_222413_LI.jpg

Edited by PoloPoPo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, madmole said:

Is it? How much time do you waste moving slow with full inventory? I remove my armor to run efficiently and without pack mule that gets even harder. When I get to my POI in 2 minutes and everyone else takes 10 (the ones who think 1.5 kmis too far to walk) and can turn in more quests early game I think it kind of pays off, at a minimum I get 1-2 ranks. Don't forget you can use other mods in your armor too then.

Just like Hated always gets better barter and daring adventurer. I don't because eventually I'll have tons of dukes and find everything I need. He however has a motorcycle by day 3 because he makes so damn much money, and endless brass for making bullets which speeds up his poi clearing process because he can use guns non stop. I don't play that way, but is it a noob trap? He levels super fast too, faster than me I believe and I smoke everyone else on the team by a large margin in terms of fast leveling.

It is a time management game, and while you are certainly entitled to feel like some perks are noob traps, and I agree to some extent, there are other variables to think about that can make these perks quite nice. Just like cooking, sometimes it just feels amazing blowing perks on that crap early game and having unlimited high quality calories (stamina) for early game mining. Instead of suffering digging I enjoy it. Same with vehicle perks, when RNG screws you buying those perks feels awesome.

Anyhow telemetry will tell us a lot soon enough.

Okay, perhaps I was a bit harsh on the old Pack Mule. I can certainly see its uses, from early game to late game. Doesn't mean I'll ever invest into it, but after second thoughts, it isn't really a "noob trap"; other than saving mod slots in your armor later on, I'll rephrase it is, "If you can leave drop chests, "deal" until you get a vehicle, then you're patience will pay off and you could spend the point that would have gone into Pack Mule into other areas". It's all about options. :)

36 minutes ago, Star69 said:

As much as a pia it is, I personally would do a complete uninstall/reinstall of the game rather than simply updating. Sometimes files aren’t updated/replaced during a simple update process. It used to be a fast thing to uninstall/reinstall when the game was small but now that it’s a few gigs, it takes me about 40 minutes or so. Just my 2 cents....

Edit:  if your game is single player, backup your save. After reinstalling the game, if you still have the issue with your save then you’ll need to start a new seed.

IT is working at the moment .. not sure while it stopped before .. Just another day on the wonderful World of OZ ..

17 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Okay, perhaps I was a bit harsh on the old Pack Mule. I can certainly see its uses, from early game to late game. Doesn't mean I'll ever invest into it, but after second thoughts, it isn't really a "noob trap"; other than saving mod slots in your armor later on, I'll rephrase it is, "If you can leave drop chests, "deal" until you get a vehicle, then you're patience will pay off and you could spend the point that would have gone into Pack Mule into other areas". It's all about options. :)

Yeah it really is. While it could use something else yet, I don't think it is a waste. There is always grandpas forgettin' elixer too. My plan is to improve it to be something a little better, same with vehicles since all they do is unlock a craft.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Tmodloader said:

When will we have flamethrowers?

You can already have flame trap if you put burning shaft mod into junk sledge.

Edited by XYR0 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jugom said:

Yes, and the idea is exactly for this use case. You would have a ammo box in your base with 9mm ammo, shotgun ammo, .44 ammo... . And a separate "essentials" box with 7.62 ammo and some other essential things you always carry with you.

If you come back home you dump into the ammo box and some other boxes. But you NEVER EVER use this one click dump with the essentials box.