Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

3 hours ago, madmole said:

Yeah it really is. While it could use something else yet, I don't think it is a waste. There is always grandpas forgettin' elixer too. My plan is to improve it to be something a little better, same with vehicles since all they do is unlock a craft.

its in the strength tree now, so i was thinking it could interact with heavy armor, like reducing the movement penalty of heavy armor.

That way it could have good end game use. Alternatively i though you could remove the movement penalty on armor and just make it add 1 to encumbrance, that way a few points in pack mule will still be useful late game even if you have triple storage mods for every armor piece, and heavy armor users wouldnt be slower when unencumbered, but would encumber sooner.

3 hours ago, khzmusik said:

Not really, these are questions like "where do I put the wood?" The streamer I was watching today tried to put raw iron into the output slot.

Sure it's pure noob stuff but so are most of the hints on the loading screen.

EDIT: It also seems like most new players can't grasp the concept. They're looking at the forge the same way they look at the workbench - you just need it to open up recipes. It doesn't occur to them that they have to smelt stuff *into* the forge.

There was a talk I remember, that there might be some changes in workbench and forge UI. Would be good to have them in hints, since they are used constantly. 

Had a friend having such a questions even on the older UI layout of the forge, around A10, it took a bit more time to learn, but the recent one came up :)

10 hours ago, madmole said:

Use the store similar button and make sure there isn't 7.62 in that box.

Because kitchen sink features aren't a good thing.

I don't know how you store your supplies madmole but I keep all my ammo in one crate so store similar will also put the 7.62 in there while dumping 9mm, 44 mag, shotgun etc..... in goes the 7.62 also.  Same thing would happen for other items I consider essential traveling gear.   But it's all good as I just modded it as you like to say ;) Works perfect now and I appreciate the effort.  BTW optimizations were top notch this patch for me.  Great work fatal!

An undead dog in a tier 1 gas station quest. Day 2 my game stage is 6, I can't even loot guns yet or have the money to buy a pistol unless I'm lucky enough to find a quality 1 in the trader. I mean its me so I managed obviously but....... really?

17 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

An undead dog in a tier 1 gas station quest. Day 2 my game stage is 6, I can't even loot guns yet or have the money to buy a pistol unless I'm lucky enough to find a quality 1 in the trader. I mean its me so I managed obviously but....... really?

Some POI's have a zombie dog hard coded in a specific spot.

So, when exploring a new POI during the first week, you should have as many Blunderbuss's on your belt as you can.  Six is not bad. 

Edit: But three should take care of most problems.

21 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

Some POI's have a zombie dog hard coded in a specific spot.

So, when exploring a new POI during the first week, you should have as many Blunderbuss's on your belt as you can.  Six is not bad. 

Edit: But three should take care of most problems.

on insane nightmare that sound will create a snowball effect. Also I'm an agility build, are you telling me I have to carry a belt full blunderbuss on a stealth build because poi's are coded with undead dogs. Tier 1 poi's. That sounds right to you? Not to mention the blunderbuss is pretty much useless if your not perked into it, mite be able to hit the broad side of a barn if I'm standing right infront of it, probably not though.

Edit: Also doesn't fit with what I heard @madmolesay about when dogs are introduced. They are introduced when you can get guns, there shouldn't be an exception to the rule. I could go find the dev video for the quote if need be.

If nightmare insane is too much for you then turn it down. An undead dog at regular speed in a POI on Day one is easy on Scavenger and Adventurer, medium on Nomad and Warrior and tough on Insane. Add in nightmare and that increases the difficulty. It’s what you chose. Don’t go “Day One? Really??” like you expect them to remove the dog. Lower your settings if you can’t handle it. 

Of course, if YOU can’t handle it then it must really be impossible, riiiight? 🙄

2 minutes ago, Roland said:

If nightmare insane is too much for you then turn it down. An undead dog at regular speed in a POI on Day one is easy on Scavenger and Adventurer, medium on Nomad and Warrior and tough on Insane. Add in nightmare and that increases the difficulty. It’s what you chose. Don’t go “Day One? Really??” like you expect them to remove the dog. Lower your settings if you can’t handle it. 

Of course, if YOU can’t handle it then it must really be impossible, riiiight? 🙄

I just said I did handle it didn't I? I had to tear open the roof to even the odds after I spotted him but this is all beside the point! Should I find the quote?

1 hour ago, STyK_ said:

Yeah I have seen some of those lol. 

Honestly though, on an agility build, something I plan on doing is getting parkour early.  Then all you have to do is have ramp frames 3 blocks high randomly all over the place and if you get into trouble you can just jump on it and spam the bow or spear until they are dead lel. 

I also like the idea of just getting the sneak skill and sneak attack bonus and not even pumping a weapon at first.  Then try to sneak attack everything, cause you can even shoot out a lot of the zombie jump scare spots and they wont even move and you can 1 shot them with a tier 1 bow. 

I plan on not even really having a base, and just using coffee and stuff on horde night.  Sneak skill so high that I just sneak around most normal nights. 

I have not done a lot yet on my agility build though, cause I am still trying my str/intel building/robot build.  On day 15 and I see I need to find the bloody turret schematic now, even though I have robots and intel maxed out. 

I could keep going. Why are there tier 1 quests sending you to the snow biome? Shouldn't be leaving the green forest biome till your geared, need tier 1 quests to get geared. Quite the pickle. Burnt biome is one thing, kind of acceptable, also making you leave the green forest biome before your geared.

Edit: I get it, as long as it works for the shotgun toting builder class its fine and that goes for both issues. Who's favorite class is that? The same guy who said you get dogs when you can get guns.

17 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I forgot that bears don't get stun locked anymore when you shoot them. :(

I don't want to talk about it. 😒

I usually kill bears like a real man, and by real man I mean I build a 3x3x4 cobblestone base, sometimes with spikes around it, then shoot them until dead from on top of it... just like in real life.

So hold on a minute, if you eliminate your XP debt you are immediately restored to the amount of XP gained towards the next level you had before then? Was that a recent change or was I just being blind before? I'm just saying and not bragging here, I don't die that often, so I probably didn't notice.

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

So hold on a minute, if you eliminate your XP debt you are immediately restored to the amount of XP gained towards the next level you had before then? Was that a recent change or was I just being blind before? I'm just saying and not bragging here, I don't die that often, so I probably didn't notice.

It was like that since the feature was first implemented. That's what she said.

2 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

That's what she said.

I was teaching a new female friend how to shoot a few years ago, and while explaining basic saftey, keeping finger off the trigger until needed, I said, "don't worry, treat it with respect & this thing won't go off by itself". Her totally deadpan reply, "that's what he said" ... ha! 🥰

----

On the flip side of that bit, the damn Bow has almost gotten me killed twice already. I just can not get into the rhythm to use a bow for other than sneak/snipe shots. I think hope it's the draw part, and maybe I can sync with a crossbow.

Anyone else having similar trouble? Or any pointers?

7 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

@RolandDon't worry though I'll likely die tomorrow because on 25% loot there isn't a chance in hell your going to find honey in a stump even when you first spawn.

This is what you wanted though, a nightmare of difficulty.

If you feel you have to pick the hardest settings then that's your deal.

But I would guess you are skilled at many shooter games and can pick the hardest settings, win, then go to the next game.  So this is maybe a bit of a shock to you, finding that the very hardest setting in a game, really is hard as hell sometimes.

21 minutes ago, FileMachete said:

I was teaching a new female friend how to shoot a few years ago, and while explaining basic saftey, keeping finger off the trigger until needed, I said, "don't worry, treat it with respect & this thing won't go off by itself". Her totally deadpan reply, "that's what he said" ... ha! 🥰

----

On the flip side of that bit, the damn Bow has almost gotten me killed twice already. I just can not get into the rhythm to use a bow for other than sneak/snipe shots. I think hope it's the draw part, and maybe I can sync with a crossbow.

Anyone else having similar trouble? Or any pointers?

I feel your pain.

The short of it is: Practice, Practice, Practice!

My problem is landing a Gyro Copter without it looking like a comedy skit!  I want to land like a pro, I have a 7 wide 40 long airstrip on top of my base (yeah, the base is out of control now).  I almost never get Gyro copters as a motorcycle is good for the points expended.

But with the sledge turrets being superlative BM horde defense, in the right situation, I pushed to max my Int (with nerd glasses).

So now I feel like a noob when flying and landing(crashing)!  🤣

4 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

So now I feel like a noob when flying and landing(crashing)!  🤣

The trick is to treat it like a plane, and if you want to land like a gyrocopter, try to "hover" (not taking a nosedive, keeping your speed steady, pushing back if you have to, etc.). ;)

Edit: pulling back

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived