Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

29 minutes ago, rubens9311 said:

Okay.
 I personally invite you to stop playing it if it bothers you so much.
 What's more, I am in charge of giving you back what you paid for this game.
 Tell me your Paypal.

But please, NEVER come back here

nb4 pm that says he paid $3,400,000 for the game

2 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

I guess some people have moral issues with it. I don't. To me, I don't care what shape, age, sex, creature etc becomes zombified... it is no longer what it once was. It is now a zombie, and must die. However, I do think it looks cheesy. I have yet to see a single movie or show where someone successfully makes a zombie child and it actually looks believable and scary. Maybe for others, it's scary as hell... but for me, it always looks really stupid.
Madmole did say, "No child zombies are coming. Something small perhaps." Hoping for that.

In Dead Space was zombie-child. It's was creepy. And in DooM 3 was child-fly mutants. BZZZZZZZZZ!

3 hours ago, Pegasus said:

Well the issue isn't so much vertical blocks like walls ... but more horizontal blocks, like ceilings.  Is there a way to set it so if a horizontal block is in a group of say a total of 9 (3x3) that it blocks precipitation (rain and snow) directly underneath said blocks?

The issue isn't so much with temperature blocking features but with precipitation blocking.  yes, people could game the system with things like bars that would block the rain when they're not supposed to unless you edited the precipitation blocking features of each block which would be a pain in the rump ... but it'd be better having some blocks blocking rain that shouldn't than having no blocks preventing rain when they should.

Vertical blocks should matter, since an opening is letting in cold air. Temperature would matter as much as rain in a survival situation where we determine if you are freezing or burning up.

It is not as simple as can the block above me stop rain, because blocks can be rotated. A plate or half block can or can't fill a vertical or horizontal hole depending on the rotation.

We will probably fix heat/cold survival before gold, which would include checking if enclosed, but not until A21+.

7 hours ago, Amanitasec said:

Any leaks about when we can expect A19 stable? I know the answer is "when its done" but how many issues are on go? Friends of mine, are playing through GeForce Now (because of no power on the PC) and there are no option to play the A19 through experimental tab. So now we are not playing, and they are still paying for the GeForce Now. Any clues? 

With the new patch that came out today, if everything is fine ... 
next week we will have the first stable one.
 These are words written by MM in a couple of posts back.

I look forward, maybe a 19.1

19 minutes ago, InsKill said:

In Dead Space was zombie-child. It's was creepy. And in DooM 3 was child-fly mutants. BZZZZZZZZZ!

True, they are definitely the best of the bunch... although I bet if you take them out of their dark and creepy settings and have them running under the sun through fields of cotton and chrysanthemum, they wouldn't look so great.

37 minutes ago, pregnable said:

nb4 pm that says he paid $3,400,000 for the game

As long as they don't come to screw here. 
I would think of a loan to pay for that. And he would pay the same to the one who a few days ago came to mess with his console game.
 I hope it is not you. I had your same avatar ha.

9 hours ago, Xtrakicking said:

Honestly, I didn't even intend to get into a Twilight debate. It was just an example of many other movies that were successful, yet negatively received (another example: Star Wars prequels); but anyways, like I said, Twilight's general response was negative. Some people liked it, yes, but it was endlessly mocked and ridiculed.

In regards to this game: It is considered one of the best survivals to date, and there's no other zombie game like it. Even back in A1, when you only had "boring walkers", that was the general consensus of this game. Obviously, the fact that there are more things than that is cool, but my point is that the game will still be awesome even if we don't have convoluted and bizarre enemies left and right.

That popular and even great new things getting mocked early on seems to be a part of the human condition.

Some people get angry if their imaginings of what is true or correct, get changed.

I couldn't get into twilight myself, but it did have an impact with my daughter!

Just like Harry Potter, the themes were the same, young people with powers and secrets that were too much for others to handle.   🙂

Scientists are maybe the worst of them all when it comes to preconceived ideas (that often turn out to be completely wrong).

Edit: Sorry, forgot the point of it!

And that brings us to 7D2D. 

-A voxel game that is different than others.

-Zombies that are not the same as zombie movies.

-A Shooter that is not like normal shooters.

-A survival game that is not like other survivors.

Its so new, on so many themes, that if it didn't get mocked and ridiculed, a lot, then I would be sure I was no longer on Earth (the insane asylum of the universe).    😋

7 hours ago, madmole said:

If pack mule seems underwhelming we'll just lock way more slots at spawn.

Nah, you just need some more good armor mods. 

A perk that negates the need for pocket mods would be more attractive it there were more good mods to put in its place. 

The real problem there is that there are so many worn mod slots total.

Up to 4 on a weapon but up to 22 or so worn.

Fewer/merged armor locations would have a whole bunch of advantages for gameplay and other areas but that's for another game...

8 hours ago, madmole said:

Yeah we might have some guys with some mutated lumps on them like the fat cop, but this guy will be more humanoid and wield a sledgehammer. Heavily muscled but have some troll/ogre/giant like features. Special infected are considered smarter so tool use is not out of the question. I'm kind of thinking he was a miner slave for the duke. The duke somehow attached the sledgehammer to their arm so they cannot run away nor lose their tool. I have to bounce ideas around yet and get concepts made so none of it is set in stone.

I like the idea that special zombies would be smarter. We all have blown up countless of not so threatening zombies that can be avoided. I'm ready for a real challenge with range enemies and  unconventional zombie types. There is potential to be fleshed out by adding different types of enemies. I actually don't come to this game for the zombies but I do for the open world sandbox nature of 7dtd. The thing that's lacking is the combat engagement that I have with the zombies. I really don't have to do much when I come into a house with shotgun killing grunt zombies. The bandit update is what I'm looking forward to but relatively intelligent special zombies would be the icing on the bandit cake.

Extending the variety to grunts would be welcomed as well. Maybe have one overall wearing farmer zombie hold a pitch fork and maybe throw it. The pitch forks melee attack would have a longer reach than the other zombies. 

3 hours ago, rubens9311 said:

With the new patch that came out today, if everything is fine ... 
next week we will have the first stable one.
 These are words written by MM in a couple of posts back.

I look forward, maybe a 19.1

Thank you very much for that information:)

6 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Just a small error I'd like to report, but I felt it wasn't big enough to warrant its own individual "bug" post. The journal entry for treasure maps still explains that you can narrow down the buried treasure radius with the Lucky Looter perk. You may want to update thi7_Days_To_Die_2020-08-04_5_37_25_PM.thumb.png.fecee35af64d80e8ea93544cdb019f94.pngs. :)

I submitted bug report for this to QA team.  Thanks.

15 hours ago, fragtzack said:

My wife watching Twilight hundreds of times inspired in me disgust and despised for that story. 

Shame on you for dredging up memories!

I couldn't get past the second chapter of that insipid book. My husband made me watch the movies. I literally slept thru the last two with my hubby just waking me up to watch the werewolf fights and the death of a certain annoying character.

13 hours ago, madmole said:

True blood was fantastic for about 3-4 seasons and then decayed into strange crap. The werewolves vs vampires was interesting, throw in fairies and witches and shapeshifters and it gets a little too crazy to where it feels diluted.

Only the first two seasons even remotely followed the books, after that it completely jumped the shark.

Not sure if there's confirmed Lore that covers the following, if so and I'm way off then apologies in advance.

Been noticing a couple things in a19exp.

Where are the townsfolks bases?

And as much as I really like the Traders bases, only Jen has a Brick+ building to retreat to when those flimsy tin metal walls get breached. And she's been a lazy survivor and hasn't removed/blocked the stairs on the inside. Hope she has a zipline off the roof, heh.

(ok, they might be running home to a bunker everynight. And there've been rumors of quests to defend Traders forever. But we all know those walls won't survive a wandering horde)

Couple reasons I'm mentioning these bits.

One, new 'failed base_01' POIs could offer a nice immersive way to show new players a glimpse of what it's going to take to survive. By more realistically portraying a couple few common base ideas. Leave just enough standing so the design can be figured out. And deco these "bases" with enough gore blocks and remains so it really looks like a big fight went wrong for the good guys.

Two, to me the towns just don't look like the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. Maybe the townies all ran off when spikes at the door were no longer enough. But where did they run to? Based on the interior barricades (and landmines, the crazy f-ers) and all the cobble and cement pallets, some thought they were staying.

But if the others ran off you'd think they were likely heading to government bases, yet the small military outposts are almost pristine. The laid landmines around the camps also seem to indicate the intention of holding the camps. But it looks a lot more like they left than they were overrun.

Kinda dancing around the core point so as to not piss anyone off, but here it is.

There's not much in the way of fortified POIs where it looks like survivors made a stand, and the fortifications would stand a chance against the zombies as they are now.

Consider the partially collapsed Brick/Concrete buildings. Could just be condemed and fell in. There's no rickety outside walkways to shoot down on the zeds. No murder holes in the floor with makeshift grates over them. Stairways aren't blocked. Nothing that indicates these might have once been bases. Yet a mostly cosmetic overhaul could make one of these look like there were a number of survivors desperately trying to fend off the zeds.

(I'm guessing most of us have taken over one of these for an early base so can visualize what I'm getting at)

Funny thought. The designers really wouldn't need to do much. Just snag a couple few early game bases from the testers and run a horde against them until they fail, then copy the POI and 'decorate' some.

Hopefully this will be taken as intended, constructive criticism.

18 hours ago, madmole said:

Thanks to no more stun locked aggressive animals :) Well and we buffed their HP a bit.

At no point should a survivor have coffee pot manufacturer on his resume. Even a skilled carpenter can only go so far with crooked planks, a hand saw, etc. Just because it is a crafting game, doesn't mean players should be able to craft everything, especially things which serve no purpose in tower defense. I do think it would be cool if you could collect these items but because of all the restraints there has to be it should be a mod and not something we add. Even if you were only allowed 1 per chunk or claim it feels like a half finished feature. Why limit me? It is an endless rabbit hole of bugs, feature requests and problems that gains nothing a mod cannot do better  if we open that can of worms.

Thanks for that response, its good to hear what your stance is.

Honestly its not a big issue for me personally and if you want me to drop the topic im fine with that, im just here for the banter afterall. Personally i hardly ever get to that stage in games where im looking to make finishing touches as is.

Its my personal opinion, but i dont think putting hi res models on some vanity tier and restricting them to land claim blocks as 'trophies' would actually feel like its half finished at all. I get that feeling more from having items i can see but not craft, it feels more like they were forgotten when creating the item lists, like when wedge tips were only craftable in that table saw, for the longest time i thought it was a bug.

If its explicitly stated that they are limited items, then i know that i cant be stupid and make a building out of them and i know the devs have them accounted for, and that if i want them i need to dedicate a land claim to them.

If it really is that much work though then im fine with it being benched or forgotten, id rather bandits and higher tier zombies to kill (or die to), though i think further down the line there might be some merit to tying certain behaviours strictly to land claims and fleshing out the idea of having player bases being better defined. 

All that aside im loving A19 so far and im looking forward to the 'blunderbuss stage' getting expanded on.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived