Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

On the subject of pack mule, have you guys thought about adding backpacks to the game ? Thinking about having a 6x9 grid instead of the current 5x9, but with only 4x9 available at start, and adding a backpack that unlocks 1 row, and also a military backpack that unlocks both rows. Could solve the problem of the uselessness of the Pack Mule perk, while also providing another area of progression.

Just now, beHypE said:

On the subject of pack mule, have you guys thought about adding backpacks to the game ? Thinking about having a 6x9 grid instead of the current 5x9, but with only 4x9 available at start, and adding a backpack that unlocks 1 row, and also a military backpack that unlocks both rows. Could solve the problem of the uselessness of the Pack Mule perk, while also providing another area of progression.

There are mods that give you bigger backpacks and different ways of unlocking slots.

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

Not happening, having multiple stack sizes per user would be very problematic to solve. Not even going into why. If pack mule seems underwhelming we'll just lock way more slots at spawn.

I'd rather you limit the size of the tool belt if anything. Right now you can just over stack it with weapons and scroll though their magazines. Eight is overkill.

Sorry had to make that quote cause I couldn't find the actual one.

3 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I'd rather you limit the size of the tool belt if anything. Right now you can just over stack it with weapons and scroll though their magazines. Eight is overkill.

Sorry had to make that quote cause I couldn't find the actual one.

No thanks, I think it's fine the way it is. If you have your entire toolbelt stacked with weapons, then you won't have any room for a wrench, wood frames, bandages, tools, etc.

5 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

No thanks, I think it's fine the way it is. If you have your entire toolbelt stacked with weapons, then you won't have any room for a wrench, wood frames, bandages, tools, etc.

then you gear yourself up for the task at hand

you want people to use pack mule, lock part of the belt behind it.

I never use it, never will. Not when you can just build a pocket mod or hold out for one of the good pocket schematics. 

12 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I never use it, never will. Not when you can just build a pocket mod or hold out for one of the good pocket schematics. 

To me, Pack Mule is just a noob trap.

Then we'd be back where we were with A17 with locking parts of the game behind perks, which would be fine except they are under attributes. This change you're proposing wouldn't add much value to the experience and would probably just annoy a lot of players.

2 hours ago, Pegasus said:

And if i can figure out how to fix a generator to run the coffee pot, I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to fix the Mr. Coffee I scavenged from my neighbor's house, right after I shot their rotten corpses and their ugly little dog.  Heck, it can't be that complicated, it's a heating element and some wires and tube thingies.  Heck, I could probably find a dozen of working ones in the nearest Walmart, which I would raid at the first sign of trouble. Actually, i will add them to the list of things to scavenge from Walmart at the first sign of an apocalypse.  Must have coffee.

You won't make it back with all that stuff because there will be campers at the traders. Real life is pvp. 

16 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

pack mule is useful for higher game stages, then you can replace the pocket mods with armor or mobility mods, i think its find the way it is, i would almost wanna see it shortened so once its maxed u still have to craft the pocket mods for your clothing and not the armor.

Again this being said, its not broken so why fix it or backpedal it

2 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

pack mule is useful for higher game stages, then you can replace the pocket mods with armor or mobility mods, i think its find the way it is, i would almost wanna see it shortened so once its maxed u still have to craft the pocket mods for your clothing and not the armor.

Because he doesn't use it ... therefore anyone who does is wrong.

1 minute ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

playing on the hardest setting without using it, didn't check my last game stage but day 47 on 2 hour days, thats day 94 for those that play one hour days. I don't do a perk wipe. Honestly on 25% loot I couldn't find the drink if I wanted to.

2 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

Not true... late game you're swimming in steroids or megacrush drinks and you only need full slots when you come back from a mission or looting.

At that point you can easily gobble up one and you're golden. Not speaking of the fact late game you already have the best vehicles with plenty of storage.

I accept my idea is not feasible from a technical standpoint as Madmole explained, but there's gotta be something to make PM the great perk it could be.

7 hours ago, jdifran said:

Is it expensive to check if all of the voxels directly above the target voxel are empty?  Seems like that would be a reasonable "am I outside" check.

Placing a block about your head does not make you 'inside'. Imagine standing in a field in snow with a block above you. How are you inside?

Just now, STyK_ said:

playing on the hardest setting without using it, didn't check my last game stage but day 47 on 2 hour days, thats day 94 for those that play one hour days. I don't do a perk wipe. Honestly on 25% loot I couldn't find the drink if I wanted to.

That is your play style.  I am glad that you enjoy your play style.  But other people don't play that way.  If you don't like pack mule than don't use it.  Quit trying to ruin things for the people who do. Your play style does not reflect the majority of players.  

1 minute ago, Jost Amman said:

Not true... late game you're swimming in steroids or megacrush drinks and you only need full slots when you come back from a mission or looting.

At that point you can easily gobble up one and you're golden. Not speaking of the fact late game you already have the best vehicles with plenty of storage.

I accept my idea is not feasible from a technical standpoint as Madmole explained, but there's gotta be something to make PM the great perk it could be.

Yeah once you have a vehicle your storage is expanded why waste perks on pack mule.

2 minutes ago, faatal said:

Placing a block about your head does not make you 'inside'. Imagine standing in a field in snow with a block above you. How are you inside?

Instead of letting a smile be your umbrella let a wood frame block be your umbrella?

1 minute ago, faatal said:

I heard you once talking about something called "raycast" to check collisions?

Can't you do that TOP + 360° around within 5 blocks from the player each time he places a block down?

With TOP being a "must check" (roof) and the blocks around the player needing a minimum count maybe?

But I see it mustn't be easy at all...

I'm not a dev so I might have misunderstood completely, sorry.

6 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

That is your play style.  I am glad that you enjoy your play style.  But other people don't play that way.  If you don't like pack mule than don't use it.  Quit trying to ruin things for the people who do. Your play style does not reflect the majority of players.  

he brought game stage into it. Sorry if I reacted with I don't play on warrior 150% loot like the majority.

Anyone else having issues with steam now after the update?

51 minutes ago, madmole said:

New EXP out! Enjoy the new storage features and optimizations!

I know, I know, restart. I promise, I will. But I always try out my latest save before planning out my next EXP test. Lemme tell ya, having just come back from a (very successful) looting binge, ready to unload my reappropriated goodies unto my loot bins, these features... *chef's kiss*

8 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

he brought game stage into it. Sorry if I reacted with I don't play on warrior 150% loot like the majority.

Anyone else having issues with steam now after the update?

Probably too many people trying to download 2.2 gigs at once.  From what i hear if you're patient it'll work.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived