Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Just now, madmole said:

Yeah we might have some guys with some mutated lumps on them like the fat cop, but this guy will be more humanoid and wield a sledgehammer. Heavily muscled but have some troll/ogre/giant like features. Special infected are considered smarter so tool use is not out of the question. I'm kind of thinking he was a miner slave for the duke. The duke somehow attached the sledgehammer to their arm so they cannot run away nor lose their tool. I have to bounce ideas around yet and get concepts made so none of it is set in stone.

ive always liked the idea of a zombie holding a tool, like it was something he was holding when he died so it just seems like reflex to keep holding it, i cannot wait to see some models for the special infected

10 minutes ago, Troxism said:

Brought this up a quite while ago, but I think it got buried/missed in all the random talk, so I'm going to bring it up again as it's a pretty serious issue IMHO:

Armour piercing seems to be broken. Certain zombies are armoured (Demos, Bikers, Soldiers) and take reduced damage, and armour piercing ammo/penetrator perk is supposed to help with that by reducing the penalty. In A18 this all more or less worked as expected, but in A19 armour pen seems to be completely non functional; in A18 hollow points dealt basically zero damage vs armoured zombies, and armour piercing ammo did more damage to them then regular ammo.

In A19, hollow points deal more damage then regular ammo even to demolishers, and armour piercing ammo deals the exact same as regular ammo (ie the armour piercing coeff doesn't seem to actually apply since they both deal the same base damage). Ranks in penetrator also seem to have no effect at all on the damage dealt vs armoured zombies.

Makes the higher tier armoured zombies very hard to kill, and makes AP ammo much less useful (it's still good for penetrating multiple targets, but that is about it).

I'll have them check it out.

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

Image of madmole in 1 year

I am making fantastic gains.

14 hours ago, faatal said:

And then the screen fades to black as they suffocate....aha, oxygen tank to the rescue....land shark then swallows them whole.

i'm surprised no one dies of carbon monixide poisoning what with running the generators underground and all... 😇

12 minutes ago, madmole said:

Yeah we might have some guys with some mutated lumps on them like the fat cop, but this guy will be more humanoid and wield a sledgehammer. Heavily muscled but have some troll/ogre/giant like features. Special infected are considered smarter so tool use is not out of the question. I'm kind of thinking he was a miner slave for the duke. The duke somehow attached the sledgehammer to their arm so they cannot run away nor lose their tool. I have to bounce ideas around yet and get concepts made so none of it is set in stone.

Do you have a plan on how common or rare these special infected will be? Will they be akin to demolishers (except maybe spawning in POI's as well), or will they be as frequent as the current everyday rad zombie?

12 minutes ago, madmole said:

I'll have them check it out.

I did notice I was killing soldier zombies with HP ammo, which was not possible in A18.

4 hours ago, Roland said:

Well the new telemarketer zombie is coming along nicely. When it gets close to your base it will shout out offers to take surveys, change your billing plan, or update your insurance. There’s even a boss type that attempts to steal your identity by phishing for account numbers and directing you to fake websites. We even got voice actors with strong ethnic hard-to-understand accents for realism. 

The upside is that they seem to be the most satisfying kills ever experienced in the game....

I think you have just found a way to get me to come out of my hole and kill zombies.  Can you add "tech support phone operator" zombies too?  They ask you to reboot your computer after you just told them you've rebooted it three times already. Then they put you on hold for an hour.

Although, to be fair, I did give the fat mamma zombie a name ... and I enjoy shooting her ... a lot.  Although, by all that is holy, please give her like spanx or something under her dress.  I really really really do not need to see that ....  just saying.  Tights ... spanx ... a girdle ... something ... anything.

6 hours ago, madmole said:

At no point should a survivor have coffee pot manufacturer on his resume. Even a skilled carpenter can only go so far with crooked planks, a hand saw, etc. Just because it is a crafting game, doesn't mean players should be able to craft everything, especially things which serve no purpose in tower defense. I do think it would be cool if you could collect these items but because of all the restraints there has to be it should be a mod and not something we add. Even if you were only allowed 1 per chunk or claim it feels like a half finished feature. Why limit me? It is an endless rabbit hole of bugs, feature requests and problems that gains nothing a mod cannot do better  if we open that can of worms.

I hate to disagree with you ... but I can guarantee you that if it was the end of the world and there were zombies trying to eat my face on a regular basis ... I would find a way to resurrect a coffee pot ... and it would sit on my counter right next to my rum distillery ... because coffee and rum would be the only things keeping me semi sane in that particular world.  I'd be boiling coffee in my socks if I had to.

And if i can figure out how to fix a generator to run the coffee pot, I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to fix the Mr. Coffee I scavenged from my neighbor's house, right after I shot their rotten corpses and their ugly little dog.  Heck, it can't be that complicated, it's a heating element and some wires and tube thingies.  Heck, I could probably find a dozen of working ones in the nearest Walmart, which I would raid at the first sign of trouble. Actually, i will add them to the list of things to scavenge from Walmart at the first sign of an apocalypse.  Must have coffee.

(And no, i'm not asking that you mod them into the vanilla game ... I'm just saying.  LOL)

Hello Guys,

A19 is looking awesome of course.  You all got me Hooked since Alpha 2.0 with over 14,000 hours on your game now you can say I dont have much of a life at home lol.  I do run a few servers and I just wanted to say THANK YOU Sooo much for allowing us to FINALLY add our own Localization File in our Modlets and push them to the Clients.  I have been wanting to add in Descriptions for such a very long time.

Now....   If you all would also allow icons to pass to the clients as well that would be great too :) 

I  take pride in making my servers a place where nobody has to download a package from us to play on our servers.  I use the in-game icons you have to anything new we create on our servers I just do color changes and you do have to have a imagination to why we picked a certain icon.   I would LOVE though, to be able to make up a icon pack of some sort and put it on the server and it would push to the clients.  So many people out there do not understand how to make a Mods Folder and how to install anything on their own systems and this is why we do what we do.

I hope you take this into consideration in the future this would be such a awesome thing....

Once again Thank You for making such a Great Game Guys.

SeabeeMan....

2 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

not so much a problem with a hit box, just saving time so i dont have to worry about lining up the hit box, gotta make it faster to make the most of my days.

Watch my video, I am sure it may help you. Try use a chainsaw like me, it will save your time much more.

1 minute ago, Junuxx said:

Where do I report a user for serial downvoting/harassment/toxic behavior? :)

Every answer and publication have a report button. Look at the right upper corner.

Hey guys, today I had an idea back to the topic of A19/A20 Pack Mule we were talking some time ago.

I was thinking PM should give a bonus to stacking instead of just adding more slots. That would make sense for two reasons: 1) you can carry more because you're stronger so you also stack more and 2) you are more expert at stacking things together so it's not just a question of strength but also of ability to pack.

I think that PM as it still is in A19 lacks something and I'm not putting any points in it since I found out there's so many other ways to carry stuff with no penalty.

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

Do you have a plan on how common or rare these special infected will be? Will they be akin to demolishers (except maybe spawning in POI's as well), or will they be as frequent as the current everyday rad zombie?

I did notice I was killing soldier zombies with HP ammo, which was not possible in A18.

Frequent for some of them for sure. We have several ranged attack zombies planned to break up the monotony of only melee zombies.
You should be able to kill any zombie with any ammo, they aren't bullet proof just bullet resistant.

14 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I thought we were not supposed to start in the burnt biom anymore. Game name: Survivor

Reveal hidden contents

Burnt_biom_start.thumb.png.1da3e5c65f5fd986d5d82d0bd9fa672d.png

You spawn in a forest. Whether it is burnt or not is up to the random spawn gods.

1 hour ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

I hope eventually the special infected like the demolisher can be summoned from a screamer, and irradiated zombie dogs and bears, hahaha

It will all be game staged so I would expect to see them.

1 hour ago, Pegasus said:

i'm surprised no one dies of carbon monixide poisoning what with running the generators underground and all... 😇

Asphyxiation will be a thing one day. Not saying how, muahahahahah.

1 hour ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

ive always liked the idea of a zombie holding a tool, like it was something he was holding when he died so it just seems like reflex to keep holding it, i cannot wait to see some models for the special infected

We have a great lineup coming. First off is to polish the ones we have, fat cop, spider, screamer, burnt zombies are all getting HD remakes.

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

Asphyxiation will be a thing one day. Not saying how, muahahahahah.

We have a great lineup coming. First off is to polish the ones we have, fat cop, spider, screamer, burnt zombies are all getting HD remakes.

Lol  me and my big mouth.  

1 hour ago, Pegasus said:

I hate to disagree with you ... but I can guarantee you that if it was the end of the world and there were zombies trying to eat my face on a regular basis ... I would find a way to resurrect a coffee pot ... and it would sit on my counter right next to my rum distillery ... because coffee and rum would be the only things keeping me semi sane in that particular world.  I'd be boiling coffee in my socks if I had to.

And if i can figure out how to fix a generator to run the coffee pot, I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to fix the Mr. Coffee I scavenged from my neighbor's house, right after I shot their rotten corpses and their ugly little dog.  Heck, it can't be that complicated, it's a heating element and some wires and tube thingies.  Heck, I could probably find a dozen of working ones in the nearest Walmart, which I would raid at the first sign of trouble. Actually, i will add them to the list of things to scavenge from Walmart at the first sign of an apocalypse.  Must have coffee.

(And no, i'm not asking that you mod them into the vanilla game ... I'm just saying.  LOL)

Yes, Coffee is my most essential item in the house.

Of course people could probably scavenge up parts and build a coffee maker, but it wouldn't look like a sweet modern one.

Once we go gold I will make some mods I think, and you build a coffee pot from stuff after finding a schematic and then you need it for actual coffee brewing. I love more workstations but Rick wants to keep the game simple, and I can respect that. So mods can be a great way to tune the game to your own personal tastes. I'd add several more work stations to make players work way harder to do everything.

28 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Hey guys, today I had an idea back to the topic of A19/A20 Pack Mule we were talking some time ago.

I was thinking PM should give a bonus to stacking instead of just adding more slots. That would make sense for two reasons: 1) you can carry more because you're stronger so you also stack more and 2) you are more expert at stacking things together so it's not just a question of strength but also of ability to pack.

I think that PM as it still is in A19 lacks something and I'm not putting any points in it since I found out there's so many other ways to carry stuff with no penalty.

Not happening, having multiple stack sizes per user would be very problematic to solve. Not even going into why. If pack mule seems underwhelming we'll just lock way more slots at spawn.

6 minutes ago, madmole said:

Not happening, having multiple stack sizes per user would be very problematic to solve. Not even going into why. If pack mule seems underwhelming we'll just lock way more slots at spawn.

::swats him with a newspaper:: bad madmole!  bad!  leave the pack slots alone!  Hehehe.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived