Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

@devs: While I appreciate the effort making new zombie models high quality, they are becoming so creepy that my friends are having second thought about playing the game and possible having nightmares. So I wondered does new zombie models become less gory when for example lowering textures. A18 models were perfectly fine for them.

@devs: While I appreciate the effort making new zombie models high quality, they are becoming so creepy that my friends are having second thought about playing the game and possible having nightmares. So I wondered does new zombie models become less gory when for example lowering textures. A18 models were perfectly fine for them.

Not trying to sound impertinent, but if you're going to have nightmares over the new zombie reskins, perhaps you're simply not of the appropriate demographic to be playing this game? (In other words, I'm assuming you're still an adolescent.)

(In other words, I'm assuming you're still an adolescent.)

I heard that! XD

but to be real. i love the new models, yes i have my "nit picks" but i am happy that they are getting updated. i really hope that all the zombies in the near future will get this treatment. like maybe the lumberjack can spawn in the woods and snowy forest, with mud, blood, Plants/moss torn cloths etc. i personally love it!

Don't wanna sound like a jackass or anything but you serious? I'm definitely under 18 playing this game and the new models aren't scary well kind of but that's the beauty of it why would you want zombies that aren't really somewhat scarey and high quality I'd say they look pretty damn high quality and their appearance doesn't scare me one bit from what I've seen I'm sure if you look at them for quite a while I'm sure you'll be fine because if someone is scared of the new zombie models I don't think it will change anything on their design style

Well in my opinion the new zombie models look like the best ones I have seen in most games and from what I've seen they really suit 7 days to die since it is a horror game I'm pretty sure survival horse crafting so you more scarey isn't this what was wanted? I remember in alpha 8 or something where there would be whispers in your guys ear or streange ambient noises and baby's and with that all removed I think the new zombie models make the game that bit more realistic and scarey I guess

Yeah, I am quaking in my chair thinking will we get this before Christmas 2020.... Its A18 all over again....

The thing that makes me angry the most about it, is that i always fall for it again. MM last Fall: "Uhhhm yeah we gonna do small Content Updates every 3 months, first one before Christmas 2019"

always the same lies... eh "predictions" every cycle again and again and i believe him and get deeply dissapointed with every goddamn Month that passes^^

Hopefully it doesnt look like lag.

Actually my initial testing of the new zombies (Arlene) showed no performance difference. The textures are the same res. Same bones and skeleton. More triangles/verts, but that is not generally a bottleneck on GPUs these days. The artists are really just making better use of the resources they have.

And the artists tested new LOD tools and found one they all liked, which will make creating the lower res models much faster and with better results.

I also have shader dithering working for cross fading and fading in/out on block models and have been adjusting a lot of those LOD transition values, since a lot of the values were bad. The shader overhead is minor while allowing us to get rid of models popping in or out. It also works on animals/zombies, but may not be needed there, since their LOD transitions are already very smooth.

Archived