Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

I'm alive. Mornings are good, late afternoon and nights, not so much. Wife and I caught type a flu on the ship, then I got pneumonia in 3 nodes (whatever those are), hospital (isolation ward) for a bit, released, corona came back negative (2 weeks to get results!).

Still have a nice green phlegm so still fighting an infection, but already done with my courses of anti virals and antibiotics.

But my daughter had the best time ever on the cruise so it was all worth it. :)

Since pneumonia is what kills you with both corona and flu, trying to take it easy (not that I have a choice, I'm wiped out after going to pee).

Bit disappointed I don't have corona, because now it means I have to worry about it. Ah well.

Ship had confirmed cases of covid so dunno how we dodged it.

Mostly I just mod these days when I have the energy. :)

I'm glad you are ok. That really really sounds like Corona though. I live in the epicenter of it in Europe so... I know what is like to be afraid of Infection and not having a clue how to get the herbal antibiotics recipe in time.

I'm glad you are ok.

There are few flu viruses going at that time of the year, speculating is really bad idea, don't make conclusions based on what you just see and feel..

​​​​​

Now, back to topic, all.

@MM Was it ever thought of to add a random spawner to zombies in the since that the faces where the only sliht changes maybe or no change at all but animations were different?

Like a RNG to the animations but not the model? I think that would be an easy solution to the "all zombies of this type walk attack the same its boring and predictable" dilema? hell,

you could just mix up ALL the animations of said class type (Not lumberjack movments with arlene) but it would mix it up a little atleast

Actually... a couple of days ago someone said in the discord and I agreed, that same as we have RNG for weapons, it would be nice to also have some sort of RNG for the Zs, for example to their heights… it would add a bit more of Variety seeing for example a taller nurse, or a Shorter biker. Not sure how they manage the clothing textures, but differnt clothing for the ''civilian'' Zs would be nice too.

Hey Gazz, are you planning on having spear throw damage increase with points in the spear skill?

If it is a balance issue, you could always have the damage kick in at like rank 3 or 4 of the skill.

I just want to primarily throw spears next update, and would also like to have a reason to invest in the spear skill.

It should. It was simply broken in A18.

What this game needs the most right now is massive AI improvements. Just go watch some jaWoodle's videos on YT. You can literally make an AFK horde nigh base by cheesing the current AI with wedges and arrow slits.

Kinda makes the whole horde night pointless ?

Some cheese could be reduced by making certain shapes only attach on certain sides so you cant attach 2 blocks trough air. (Like 2 wedge tips facing each other)

The thing that makes me angry the most about it, is that i always fall for it again. MM last Fall: "Uhhhm yeah we gonna do small Content Updates every 3 months, first one before Christmas 2019"

always the same lies... eh "predictions" every cycle again and again and i believe him and get deeply dissapointed with every ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ Month that passes^^

I didn't expect there were still people believing in these predictions, they do this since alpha 14..

Hair isn't done, they will add hair cards yet and that will improve it a lot.

Praise Jeebus! I was kinda worried I'd be hating then for the rest of the game.

Hopefully they'll have different hair color from each other as well.

Also, thanks for the recent pic posts. It's nice to see something that isn't dismal news like everywhere these days.

Actually... a couple of days ago someone said in the discord and I agreed, that same as we have RNG for weapons, it would be nice to also have some sort of RNG for the Zs, for example to their heights… it would add a bit more of Variety seeing for example a taller nurse, or a Shorter biker. Not sure how they manage the clothing textures, but differnt clothing for the ''civilian'' Zs would be nice too.

This was done in a mod, as well as random walk styles. TFP expressed interest in both ideas at one point, but it was just shuffled to the back burner until more important stuff gets done.

As long as they leave it accessible in the xml, modders can add it back in again until TFP rolls it into an official update.

Combined with the radon walk speed bursts, the random walk styles alone makes it feel like there are a lot more zombie types than there are.

That sounds too much like corona. I would guess that the test was faulty. After you get better, they have a new antibody test that can confirm if you've ever had corona in the past because of the presence of antibodies. Not sure how soon it will be widely available but they want to use it to let people rejoin the work force. Glad you are still with us in any case.

Based on the symptoms, i'm pretty sure me and the wife already had it right at the start of january.

On topic of A19 though, can we make sure the zombies have some hair colour variance instead of just brown? I miss the blonde and red head zombies. I know it's probably silly, but it just adds some nice variance. :)

What this game needs the most right now is massive AI improvements. Just go watch some jaWoodle's videos on YT. You can literally make an AFK horde nigh base by cheesing the current AI with wedges and arrow slits.

Some cheese could be reduced by making certain shapes only attach on certain sides so you cant attach 2 blocks trough air. (Like 2 wedge tips facing each other)

Of Course AI needs improvement. its an ongoing Task. With every work on it, new Exploits/Bugs can happen and need to be fixed after discovery.

But Fataal did an outstanding Job so far and im sure he will tackel those bugs too when he gets to it with his Priority List.

@MM Was Like a RNG to the animations but not the model? I think that would be an easy solution to the "all zombies of this type walk attack the same its boring and predictable" dilema? hell,

you could just mix up ALL the animations of said class type (Not lumberjack movments with arlene) but it would mix it up a little atleast

Ive asked for this, many builds back and not sure why they don’t. There used to be a mod that did this and I saw no game breaking issues but this simple change really shook up the variety some what with regards to the limited zombies types.

Random scale, speed, walk type, and textures would be amazing. Would fill out the world very well. One reason I never go to the snow is I hate seeing a million lumberjacks and nothing else.

Yep, and that is why I never go to the Canadian biome either. I'm more of a mechanics type of person (aka gameplay) vs an immersion type of person though. I avoid the Canadian biome because of the lumberjacks, not because having every zombie be the same type breaks my immersion, but because they are a pain to deal with early on. :p

Of Course AI needs improvement. its an ongoing Task. With every work on it, new Exploits/Bugs can happen and need to be fixed after discovery.

But Fataal did an outstanding Job so far and im sure he will tackel those bugs too when he gets to it with his Priority List.

You need to go try some of the older builds. They were crap in comparison, with zombies just stopping and running around in circles.

So can't be perfect in any game, because you have to give players an opportunity to win with planning and good game playing.

The only thing I'd like to see is more randomness put in like random walk styles, and more random pathfinding so they don't always pick the same paths. (Some of that is already in place, I think.)

Players like Jawoodle use the creative menu to build..when you are actually 0laying gathering the resources, it's a very different experience.

Kind of makes playing the whole game pointless to watch someone else cheese it when you can just learn it organically and not ruin it with cheese. Then you spread the cheese, like corona. Shame. Not that we won't address AI exploits but there will always be some ways to cheese for those looking hard enough.

Kind of makes playing the whole game pointless to watch someone else cheese it when you can just learn it organically and not ruin it with cheese. Then you spread the cheese, like corona. Shame. Not that we won't address AI exploits but there will always be some ways to cheese for those looking hard enough.

Yep, and if people want to cheese the AI, then so be it. It's not like it's the only way to fight the hordes. :)

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived