Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

I'm not pointing fingers but I think coronavirus has put a damper on everyone's lives. We planned for an April or early May release, lets see what happens. April is unlikely IMO because I'm not overly optimistic any more and I need 4 weeks of testing myself to put my stamp of approval on it. We're not far off or adding new stuff, and several system have been tested already because we've been prioritizing finishing systems that can be where someone is blocked, so those can be tested sooner than later.

my live has not changed in the slightness, the only thing different is me going online school. all i am doing is playing more games and waiting for updates

wow my life is sad.... Oh well!

By the way - their faces are not terrible, but nasty. These are different things.

Totally agree with you dude! Without an animation of turning the head, without moving the mouth, without moving the eyes of the zombies, they are just nasty dolls or broken androids. This is not scary!

Only something living, strongly reminiscent of a person in appearance, but at the same time, not like a person in his behavior, can scare us.

I think the developers could ask how the creators of the monsters approached this in the movie The Thing with Kurt Russell.

That is the plan, he will lose the snow frosting and be more generic so you can see him in the pine forest and the snow biome.

MM, if I understand correctly, the lumberjack will simply become more versatile.

Thus, the lumberjack we will meet in the winter biome will still not be different from the lumberjack we will meet in the forest biome?

As a result, we should not wait for the same zombies, but stylized as different biomes (in a winter biome - frozen zombies, in a forest biome - zombies overgrown with moss, in a desert biome - dried zombies ...)? Or is something similar planned for the distant future?

Undoubtedly, technically this is better.

But I still don't like the ones that came since A13.

When the zombie accompanied the player with a look, it was amazing. It kept your attention focused and you could not count their polygons. Technical capabilities are only an extension of what designers/artists do.

They try to draw a scary erysipelas. But this is not what causes fear. During the game, the face is not something that the player sees often.

...Silhouette, movement, sounds...

By the way - their faces are not terrible, but nasty. These are different things.

Arlene isn't scary, she's nasty and funny. I look at her eye and at her saggy tits because these elements distort the character.

I can't understand - she's a young girl or an old woman?

Well, you and I know that dogs up to A5 looked much better...

It's true that the mechanic of zombies turning their heads to look at the player was amazing, but that has nothing to do with the way zombies looked. I'm sure if it came back, it would be just as amazingly terrifying.

The dog looked better because you could tell it was a zombie dog. The problem with the current design of zombies is that, other than the injury they have in their heads, they're completely clean and fresh. They don't look like rotten corpses. They don't look like zombies.

These new ones at least do look like zombies.

I agree that I'd love to see even more detail, such as bones showing, missing limbs and guts, though.

Because one guy made the first ones with no real guidance from the team. Now we're concepting more and have a lot of people making tthem and we're looking at the big picture and doing a check list. Bald guy, check, blue jeans,check, asian zombie, check, red shirt, check, black hair check... once something checked off the list it can't be used so we're ending up with a more complete demographic of zombies. The new Arlene is pretty flabby compared to the old one, Moe is not in shape, neither is the fat woman, nor the fat cop. How many fat people do we need?

This is why Steve is getting cut, the shirtless guy who stands out in the crow is going to be an Asian guy in a polo and khakis, who would also fit well in the office setup. Yo is going to be more of a cowboy without the hat, so he can help populate the western setups, yet still crossover into general public and look right.

I've put a fair amount of thought into the redesign it should be a lot better.

What about the construction worker group? Its alittle immersion breaking when a sleeper volume spawns in 20 YMCA construction twins....?

I'm not pointing fingers but I think coronavirus has put a damper on everyone's lives. We planned for an April or early May release, lets see what happens. April is unlikely IMO because I'm not overly optimistic any more and I need 4 weeks of testing myself to put my stamp of approval on it. We're not far off or adding new stuff, and several system have been tested already because we've been prioritizing finishing systems that can be where someone is blocked, so those can be tested sooner than later.

@madmole and @tfp team take as much time as you want tbh

Is it?

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tconstruction-workers-banner.jpg Views:\t11 Size:\t75.3 KB ID:\t1724926","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"1724926","data-size":"full","title":"construction-workers-banner.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

That's a fair point which fits with observed human behaviour*. Groups of people with a shared interest tend to travel in the same circles such as visiting the same places. An easy example would be difference between a rock bar and a sports bar, it's rare to find goths in a sports bar just as it's rare to find jocks in a rock bar.

If a construction site falls prey to a zombie outbreak you would expect the victims to wander around together even if it isn't a concious decision..

*Based on data gathered during the early days of gps enabled mobile phones which provided sociologists with a lot of data they wouldn't otherwise have been able to gather.

Is it?

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"construction-workers-banner.jpg","data-attachmentid":1724926}[/ATTACH]

Not a huge deal, just wish their faces and animations were different...

...I am fine with not looking them in the eye for now lol

I think the desire to eat brains overrides their desire to hang out in the places they used to, prior to their... condition...

Depends which zombie universe your most accepting of. In TWD show there were some signs of past experiences (e.g. morgans zombie wife trying to twist door knob of their house)

Perhaps when the time is right, some A19 videos posted by yours truly (ie you) could help pass the time, hmm? :)

I think the desire to eat brains overrides their desire to hang out in the places they used to, prior to their... condition...

If they start together in the same place and are all after the same stimulus you get what is essentially a variation of flocking behaviour which is similar to, but not exactly like, the "biods" algorithm.

Well we no longer have to worry about a back story for the campaign side of the game. With the coronavirus going on, by the time 7DTD comes out of Alpha, it will be a documentary!! :biggrin-new: Time to remake "Night of the Comet".

Well we no longer have to worry about a back story for the campaign side of the game. With the coronavirus going on, by the time 7DTD comes out of Alpha, it will be a documentary!! :biggrin-new: Time to remake "Night of the Comet".

Night of the Comet, what a great 80's Zombish movie.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived